Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Billpuntin, can I also add my thanks for sharing your dad's photos. Wonderful. May I also echo XM657's sentiments about the Harry Latham snap- what an evocative image!
I spent my formative early years at the front of the Bramall Lane end terrace as was, standing on the ledge with my little knees stuck through the railings.
That one simple snap of your father's which was taken around the same time and, no doubt, taken quickly, brings back so many memories for me - sounds, sights and even smells!
Thank you so much for sharing them all.

Good grief ; all those dates make you feel old. Would be the August 68 one because I do remember it was a sunny day. Still funny seeing it happen.
August 1968 our first game in the old second division following relegation from the top flight the previous season.

3-1 winners we thought our stay in the second division would be short lived.

But as Silent has alluded to in his '50 years ago today' thread it would take us to Janury 1971 before we started to make a serious push for the two promotion spots

The little curly hair lad is Mark Bramwell (Brammy). He climbed up the floodlight pylon at Cambridge in May 1979, police told him to come down, he came down but managed to evade the Policemen trying to arrest him by nipping through the crowd and the Blades fans were making sure he was out of sight!
I remember the incident quite well which is more than can be said of the match. A predictable outcome

Brilliant Bp, the ones of the Lane, as it was at that time, don't half stir the old grey matter.
Harry (Scodger) Latham photo brought a tear to the eye ,as it was my view of games from round about1950 to late late 1970's. Never thought I would see it again, Thank You for posting it.
Remember seeing Scodge playing and Earnest Jackson was trainer from that position on the Terrace.
Loved to see them shoot out the dugout, hand into bucket for sponge in old bladder, and as they ran to the injured player, arm held straight and away from the body, water would trail behind, quite a sight and a memory your photo brought back. Thank You.

My first drink before heading down to Bramall Lane for many years
Not my Capri although I did have one View attachment 63451

Big Tree colour and size adjusted.jpg

This was the Big Tree in about 1900. It was called the Mason's Arms back then. It was replaced in 1901 by the current building but continued to be called the Mason's Arms till about 1935. Got this pic from my dad some years ago. He was born in Woodseats about a quarter of a century after this photo was taken. Said it was just a village when he was a lad.

View attachment 104675

This was the Big Tree in about 1900. It was called the Mason's Arms back then. It was replaced in 1901 by the current building but continued to be called the Mason's Arms till about 1935. Got this pic from my dad some years ago. He was born in Woodseats about a quarter of a century after this photo was taken. Said it was just a village when he was a lad.

How many 'big trees' has the Big Tree had?

Great photos BP. I used to judge the size of the crowd by the amount, not under cover on the Kop. The top photo is deceptive in that it’s before a section of extra cover was added, perhaps 2 or 3 years later. Great pictures of the old floodlights that went to Saltergate and the Lane cricket scoreboard incorporated into the roof. The Latham picture makes the BL end look deceptively big.
Good memories thanks.

Looked this up, 95-96 Jan17, 1-0 win V Arsenal FAC3rdR replay, shirts tell you where it is. Carl Vert scorer.

Don’t want to tread on @Silent Blade’s toes, but Patterson’s being chased by Niall Quinn who left Arsenal years before. It’s also a sunny day and the Arsenal replay was a January evening. Sunderland (H) in April is my guess.

Don’t want to tread on @Silent Blade’s toes, but Patterson’s being chased by Niall Quinn who left Arsenal years before. It’s also a sunny day and the Arsenal replay was a January evening. Sunderland (H) in April is my guess.
Sure SB won't mind so long as it's metaphorical.
Always thankful if corrected in a proper manor, thanks for that, just some don't have your finesse.
Must remember to take my medication earlier.:)

was on that open end when we got hammered 6 - 1 in 76
Yes I took my kids to that one. We got threatened by some ugly skinhead who then charged some of our lads. A bit later he got collared by the cops and taken out, crying like a baby. Clough's lot rampant.

Back
Top Bottom