Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

As a kid it never really occurred to me how dirty the buildings were. They’d been like that as long as I could remember. It was only when they started cleaning them that I realised. I was shocked after they’d cleaned St Mary’s.
They say, where there's muck there's money BB. Unfortunately I've never found any

Apologies for blank reply, what I was going to say was thanks for the article, found it very interesting an excellent read. Wonder if he played for Kent at the Lane whilst on United's books?
There have been others the other way round, playing for Yorkshire and as a visitor, through football,Willie Watson Sunderland 4 caps Yorkshire and England.jpgWillie Watson and Trevor Bailey at Lords.jpgLen Shacklton.jpg to the Lane. Willie Watson, another double international, springs to mind as he was playing when I was a youngster, Yorkshire at cricket and Sunderland, with the irrepressible Len Shackleton, at football.
Photos, Watson photo call at Roker and entering Lords with Trevor Bailey, presumably for a test match.
Last photo Shackleton throwing a dummy to a Blackpool defender some time in the fifties.

Last edited:
Apologies for blank reply, what I was going to say was thanks for the article, found it very interesting an excellent read. Wonder if he played for Kent at the Lane whilst on United's books?
There have been others the other way round, playing for Yorkshire and as a visitor, through football,View attachment 104033View attachment 104034View attachment 104035 to the Lane. Willie Watson, another double international, springs to mind as he was playing when I was a youngster, Yorkshire at cricket and Sunderland, with the irrepressible Len Shackleton, at football.
Photos, Watson photo call at Roker and entering Lords with Trevor Bailey, presumably for a test match.
Last photo Shackleton throwing a dummy to a Blackpool defender some time in the fifties.
The three in virgin socks and sandals look up for a bit of after close of play.

There have been others the other way round, playing for Yorkshire and as a visitor, through football,View attachment 104033View attachment 104034View attachment 104035 to the Lane. Willie Watson, another double international, springs to mind as he was playing when I was a youngster, Yorkshire at cricket and Sunderland, with the irrepressible Len Shackleton, at football.
I remember Ted Hemsley playing for Worcestershire at the Lane, can't recall if he was with United though at the time

I remember Ted Hemsley playing for Worcestershire at the Lane, can't recall if he was with United though at the time
Missed an obvious one there, thanks Ks. ..................must get the old brain in gear, been running in neutral for too long now.

Yes, he was at Worcestershire between 1962 and 1982. He was with us between 1968 and 1977. I saw him bat in the Yorks v Worcs match at Bramall Lane in June 1971
I saw him in 1972. I know Ted quite well he told me the story when he played at the Lane some of the United players, led by Len Badger, slow hand clapped him from the kop when he came out to bat!!

I saw him in 1972. I know Ted quite well he told me the story when he played at the Lane some of the United players, led by Len Badger, slow hand clapped him from the kop when he came out to bat!!
He told me that story too, when I accosted him at that 125th anniversary do at Pond's Forge, with the express intention of talking cricket.

View attachment 103223

Yours truly 1966, front and center and my two sisters either side, with my cousin Francis holding onto me for dear life to stop me from causing havoc.
Definite yellow card for Francis🟨, shirt pulling just as you were breaking free, obstruction, if she supports 'the dark side' will be a double yellow🟨🟨and consequentially a red card🟥 culminating in a sending off.:)

Anybody know the first year we had Christmas lights, did we borrow them from Blackpool?. I certainly remember mid 60s when they stretched from the bottom of the Moor to the Castle Market
I believe we used to get some from London the year after they’d been used on Oxford and Regent street. There were some very big crowns that used to sway in the wind and I also remember we had some reindeer holding strings of lights across the road.

Photo of Watson and Bailey probably taken on the occasion when they batted almost all day to save a Test Math against Australia at lords circa 1953?

In the 1960's we used to boast that our Christmas illuminations were the best outside of London.

As we've seen from many pictures on here town was busy right from Haymarket up to the Moor.

Footfall that today's retailers could only dream about.

Photo of Watson and Bailey probably taken on the occasion when they batted almost all day to save a Test Math against Australia at lords circa 1953?
Thanks for that BH, I must have known of that, I was just 11 that test series, with the intervening years erasing it.
Don't think it was '53 could be '56. Unfortunately haven't found anything as yet.

Thanks for that BH, I must have known of that, I was just 11 that test series, with the intervening years erasing it.
Don't think it was '53 could be '56. Unfortunately haven't found anything as yet.
Yes - second Test 1953 at Lords. Watson scored 109 in 6 Hours at the crease, Bailey scored 71 in 4 Hours at Crease. Together they put on 163 after England were 20 for 4 or some such figure and saved the Test.

Yes - second Test 1953 at Lords. Watson scored 109 in 6 Hours at the crease, Bailey scored 71 in 4 Hours at Crease. Together they put on 163 after England were 20 for 4 or some such figure and saved the Test.
Again, Ta for that, probably saw some of that on tv.
No tele at our house but my preschool mate ten doors away they had one.
Mick wasn't into sport but took to cricket about a year earlier even having payed coaching at the Lane through George Pope.
Me, owt wi'a ball, in't skoyal teams for cricket, football and rounders (remember that) before appropriate age dictated.
Anyhow we watched that series on their tele except for time in school. Happy, carefree days.
Did Bailey play league football or did he play for an amateur club.

I guess this is the match where Bailey acquired the nickname "Barnacle Bailey"

Anybody know the first year we had Christmas lights, did we borrow them from Blackpool?. I certainly remember mid 60s when they stretched from the bottom of the Moor to the Castle Market
They did, but they weren`t switched on until a fortnight before Christmas, unlike the nonsense today. They`ll soon be switched on after Easter the way things are going.

Back
Top Bottom