Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bottom photo - did anyone ever go in the Athol Hotel?
Always been confused by this place because all photos you ever see must have been of the rear entrance in Cross Burgess Street, as the frontage stood on the corner of Pinstone Street. When did it close, I can never remember it being open

So he finally gave up the gloves. Some u'd say not a day too soon.
Good'un SB, I knew his face but the name eluded me.

What a fantastic roll model for any aspiring footballer, goalkeeper or not. I believe he racked up nigh on 600 appearances and actually scored a goal for Chezzy
Played up front in the local leagues in the 1980s, 1990s and maybe 2000s

Always been confused by this place because all photos you ever see must have been of the rear entrance in Cross Burgess Street, as the frontage stood on the corner of Pinstone Street. When did it close, I can never remember it being open
Used to go in regular Satdi nights, late 50's, Pinstone St. entrance.
Meeting place on way to the Locarno, calling in Travellers on the Moor whilst in transit.
We were late 16 into17 at the time and sat in a small snug type room so were away from the bar to be less conspicuous, about 8 to12 handed depending on peoples commitments.
Beer was sold by numbers, all Youngers, I drank No.8, a dark smooth beer.
Never worked out, or even conscious at that time, how Pinstone St and X Burgess St doors were connected, Believe it has been explained on here, previously.
Other memories remember of that time, loose paper collars, stiff and almost cut your throat. Italian style suits and jackets, winkle picker shoes. Style followed on after full drape jackets with velvet collars, drain pipes and suede crape soled shoes. Teddy Boys.
I have written about these events previously and probably on OPFNRW.

Puzzled as to who it was exactly, he scored in the 1-1 draw in this Christmas week game.
Recon that's a foul tackle, from behind, nasty.
Cannot name the Arsenal player.
It was when Field scored the goal diverted a cross by Woody

Used to go in regular Satdi nights, late 50's, Pinstone St. entrance.
Meeting place on way to the Locarno, calling in Travellers on the Moor whilst in transit.
We were late 16 into17 at the time and sat in a small snug type room so were away from the bar to be less conspicuous, about 8 to12 handed depending on peoples commitments.
Beer was sold by numbers, all Youngers, I drank No.8, a dark smooth beer.
Never worked out, or even conscious at that time, how Pinstone St and X Burgess St doors were connected, Believe it has been explained on here, previously.
Other memories remember of that time, loose paper collars, stiff and almost cut your throat. Italian style suits and jackets, winkle picker shoes. Style followed on after full drape jackets with velvet collars, drain pipes and suede crape soled shoes. Teddy Boys.
I have written about these events previously and probably on OPFNRW.
Where abouts was the Travellers on the Moor?

Was it 79-80? If it’s the same match then I remember waiting for my dad to come in from work ready to set off and he came in and said we weren’t going much to my disgust.

Was it a midweek game? I would have only been young but thought I was about 12-13 which would have made it more like 1982-83

Was it 79-80? If it’s the same match then I remember waiting for my dad to come in from work ready to set off and he came in and said we weren’t going much to my disgust.

Was it a midweek game? I would have only been young but thought I was about 12-13 which would have made it more like 1982-83
your right i never took much notice of the year in the post. could well have been 83-84

Did the derelict building once house a snooker hall upstairs?
I remember a snooker hall somewhere on Cambridge Street, gandhi.
I've found this image that shows one but it's in the building which was higher up, above Leah's yard which is the one I'm probably thinking of.
Whether there was also one in the building you refer to, I wouldn't know. I thought that used to be just another factory. I'm pretty sure other members on here could give a more definitive answer though.

Screenshot_20201110-212334_Samsung Internet.jpg
This pic is from the early 1960's I believe.

your right i never took much notice of the year in the post. could well have been 83-84
82 83 season,struggled to make an impact that season,porterfield broke up the 4th division championship side,went a bit mad with brealeys cash.

I remember a snooker hall somewhere on Cambridge Street, gandhi.
I've found this image that shows one but it's in the building which was higher up, above Leah's yard which is the one I'm probably thinking of.
Whether there was also one in the building you refer to, I wouldn't know. I thought that used to be just another factory. I'm pretty sure other members on here could give a more definitive answer though.

View attachment 97614
This pic is from the early 1960's I believe.
That's the one thanks for clearing that up for me.

Back
Top Bottom