Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I've also heard of the Gold Label being on draught, but thought it was available in the Bridge Inn, rather than in the brewery itself. Not sure if this was an early urban myth or not.

Rings a bell with me as well but, as you say, could be an urban myth. Can you imagine drinking a whole pint of it though 😜

We're both right. There were offices above the pub and the whole block belonged to Tennants. Dont recall Gold Label being on draught but it was certainly brewed there. Whether or not the staff had a secret stash among the stacks of pallets and empty boxes up on the roof I couldnt possibly comment ... ;) What they did have in the staff room was a large barrel of Amber bitter that was free to all.

Many years ago I worked with an ex Tennants drayman. He started as a lad who stoked the fire on the steam lorries they used to own. When he progressed to driver his day went, one or two with breakfast, one when they got to the pub, one whilst unloading and one when they finished the drop. This was times six or seven pubs a day and then had one back at the brewery before home.

My ex worked for Whitbreads in the offices. Her tales of the amount of drinking that went on would need a new thread, but suffice to say, when she was 21 they took her to The Lady's Bridge for a birthday drink. My boss came up to me to say he had a call for me to collect her as she couldn't stand up. Had to get her home and sorted before setting off to meet up with her parents in London. Got there well after midnight and told them we were late because the van had broken down.

Many years ago I worked with an ex Tennants drayman. He started as a lad who stoked the fire on the steam lorries they used to own. When he progressed to driver his day went, one or two with breakfast, one when they got to the pub, one whilst unloading and one when they finished the drop. This was times six or seven pubs a day and then had one back at the brewery before home.

My ex worked for Whitbreads in the offices. Her tales of the amount of drinking that went on would need a new thread, but suffice to say, when she was 21 they took her to The Lady's Bridge for a birthday drink. My boss came up to me to say he had a call for me to collect her as she couldn't stand up. Had to get her home and sorted before setting off to meet up with her parents in London. Got there well after midnight and told them we were late because the van had broken down.
After their shift, the drivers used to sit and drink 2 or 3 pints of Amber before going home. They also compared how many beers and how many packets of fags they collected during the day. Apparently they could choose one or the other at each pub,
buckshee

We're both right. There were offices above the pub and the whole block belonged to Tennants. Dont recall Gold Label being on draught but it was certainly brewed there. Whether or not the staff had a secret stash among the stacks of pallets and empty boxes up on the roof I couldnt possibly comment ... ;) What they did have in the staff room was a large barrel of Amber bitter that was free to all.
The Amber bitter must be it, passage of time my only excuse. I worked for a firm who had two permanent maintenance men at the brewery and when larger jobs came along others were sent in. Never made it myself, maybe the office knew me better than I thought-Hic!!! :). Only ever been in the bridge once wasn't enamoured. Another better bitter from Tennants was Queens if memory serves, 1d a pint dearer but worth it.

The white building is the Bridge Inn, the Exchange brewery was next too on the left in photo, just see a fraction of it above back of bus on left. There may have been access from the brewery to the pub you would know better than me. Am I right understanding that for the workforce in the brewery there was bitter and Gold Label on draught, as and when you liked. Did you experience this whilst you worked there?
Whitbread big head Trophy Bitter the pint that thinks it’s a quart,
It’s got the body, the body to satisfy, it can’t be bettered no matter how you try,
Because it’s Whitbread big head Trophy Bitter,
The pint that thinks it’s a quart.
Or something like that.

It’s got the body, the body to satisfy, it can’t be bettered no matter how you try,
Or something like that.

I think I'm right in saying that Gold Label was invented by a Sheffield guy at the Exchange Brewery.

Probably the best known barley wine. Bass had Bass NO. 1.

There was another old advert for Whitbread Tankard featuring a character called Stanley. Used the line 'the beer that helps me excel' (or something like that).

I also think that an old advert for Whitbread Trophy the pint that thinks its a quart was filmed at the White Swan in Greenhill village.

The white building is the former Tennants Brewery (not the modern-day Tennants), in which I did my first full-time job; summer 1969 as a student before heading off to Leeds to College. That workplace was an eye-opener .......

The white building, although part of the Tennants site is actually the Lady’s Bridge Hotel. The actual brewery part was to the left down Exchange Street.

I think I'm right in saying that Gold Label was invented by a Sheffield guy at the Exchange Brewery.

There was another old advert for Whitbread Tankard featuring a character called Stanley. Used the line 'the beer that helps me excel' (or something like that).

I also think that an old advert for Whitbread Trophy the pint that thinks its a quart was filmed at the White Swan in Greenhill village.

Didn’t invent it but my uncle used to be in charge of brewing gold label for a few years. Before they put a bit of fizz in it it was a slightly darker colour and used to be a cold remedy warmed up before bed. Never failed.

The Bass version was more of an amber colour.

The white building is the Bridge Inn, the Exchange brewery was next too on the left in photo, just see a fraction of it above back of bus on left. There may have been access from the brewery to the pub you would know better than me. Am I right understanding that for the workforce in the brewery there was bitter and Gold Label on draught, as and when you liked. Did you experience this whilst you worked there?

Lady’s Bridge Hotel.

I thought Tennants was the first but apparently Bass in 1870!

Gold label was the first UK lighter coloured bw, first brewed in 1951, presumably at Exchange Brewery.

Or something like that.
Good until line 3, which is:
"Because it's Whitbread bitter, Trophy bitter,
The best that you've ever bought.
Whitbread, big head, Trophy bitter,
The pint that thinks it's a quart ".
As was usual then, the ads were far better than the beer. Which was fizzy shite!!

Around about 35 years ago I was going to Taylors to get my haircut and got 'dragged' into Channing Hall to take part in a Lager sampling marketing session......it was 8.45am and I was 'extremely merry' by the time I actually got into the barbers.
I got dragged in to the very same place , around the same time ,to sample chocolate and I thought I was lucky ... grrr ... !!

Rings a bell with me as well but, as you say, could be an urban myth. Can you imagine drinking a whole pint of it though 😜
Gold Label was very much the 'go to' for a few of my Aunties who were fond of a drop.

I also remember my Grandad being ' dispensed ' it on the wards at the Royal Ed Ortho hospital at Rivelin in the late 70's, and I was still signing it off as a hospital buyer in 1987 ( along with Mackeson).

Coles Corner with Cathedral in background. Horse drawn tram in front.

View attachment 61896

It might just be me but...I see pictures like this and I’m absolutely fascinated. I find myself looking at every little detail and wondering who these people were, what did they do, what lives did they lead and (as I’m assuming it’s quite a while ago) how did things ‘end’ (for want of a better term) for them. If I had a time machine I’d go back to times like these and just stand and observe.

Not seen this one of Darlington before. I was to the right of this photo on that terrace behind the goal
Me neither I was somewhere there with more hair and less wrinkles, what a great day that was ,god I have been following the blades a long time , how the hell did we end up in the 4 the division!!

Back
Top Bottom