Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

="HodgysBrokenThumb, post: 2770111, member: 17576"]
Though the feeling soon wore off...
Oooh, a bit harsh!
We got back into Div 1 with him in goal and then had that marvellous winning run that was ended by the George Best goal at Old Trafford.
No one was complaining then, or for the rest of that season :)

True. Have attitudes to height changed? I think anyone over around 6’2” was likely to be regarded as gangly and uncoordinated, and unable to get down quickly to low shots. And very few forwards were much above 6’. Similarly, Joe Shaw would not be a central defender nowadays.
Willie Carling a giant of a footballer but small of stature, a good example to back your point. ;)

Oooh, a bit harsh!
We got back into Div 1 with him in goal and then had that marvellous winning run that was ended by the George Best goal at Old Trafford.
No one was complaining then, or for the rest of that season :)
True, but it did all end in tears. I remember after the West Ham match away (League Cup, was it?) going into work and a Wednesdayite telling me (the first time I had heard this particular one) that after the match Hope went into the dressing-room, sat down and put his head in his hands... and dropped it on the floor.

True. Have attitudes to height changed? I think anyone over around 6’2” was likely to be regarded as gangly and uncoordinated, and unable to get down quickly to low shots. And very few forwards were much above 6’. Similarly, Joe Shaw would not be a central defender nowadays.

You're right .

In the modern game Joe would be played as the holding midfield player just in front of a back 3 or 4 , depending on the formation and no one in the country would come anywhere close to being as good in that role .

With his uncanny instinct for reading the game , intercepting passes or delivering perfectly timed tackles coupled with his ability to carry the ball and then deliver simple but effective passes to attackers , I can think of no other player I have ever seen who would be better in that position than Joe .

True, but it did all end in tears. I remember after the West Ham match away (League Cup, was it?) going into work and a Wednesdayite telling me (the first time I had heard this particular one) that after the match Hope went into the dressing-room, sat down and put his head in his hands... and dropped it on the floor.

I was at that game and he was truly awful .

I left my mates in the pub and by the time they got in we were already 2-0 down , both down to him . When I told them , they thought I was winding them up since we all thought of him as a decent keeper , which he had been but rapidly went downhill almost to Derek Richardson standards and that night was the start of it .

Great post and lovely memories XM657. Great photos too. Yes, Staniforth Road has changed massively. You mention Balfour Road- The Balfour Cinema , I visited on many occasions -Roy Rodgers and Dale Evans, Tarzan and Jane ,Bing Crosby and Bob Hope, The Three Stooges etc. 6d (old pennies) on the front row with a stiff neck afterwards. Incidentally, in the 1940's, I remember counting the number of Cinemas in Sheffield -advertised in The Star- a massive 86. Hope we are not boring everybody.
Cinema info really interesting, if memory serves regularly at least a page plus, every night in the Star, maybe two pages as in those days the Star was in tabloid form.
Went through the stiff neck syndrome, all part of life's lessons, think before you move.
Guin't pictures was very popular, I went or was taken at least once a week, often twice and occasionally three times. Rex and Manor both within ten, fifteen minutes walk from home and now and then to town, either Gaumont or Regent as my Granma called it, Cinema House, Union St, Hippodrome and later the Odeon.
Great thing about computers is you can watch a lot of old B movies on them, only last week had a session with W C Fields :-elephants, hmmm like women very nice but I wouldn't like to keep one. Three Stooges :-Harry Larry and Mo they are on You Tube, watched them along with Chaplin, Keeton etc., fill in a spare hour and ye ge'ra larf'.
Balfour Cinema, as you know became a carpet store at some point. I cannot remember what year or what the sign was, but asked, with another fella who had the pick up, to go and take down a sign which ran the full width between the towers at the front of the Balfour. It was around 2' 6"to 3' deep and 18" wide, vitrolite front with lettering in and was made of marine ply, like a big box. Fluorescent lighting inside for illuminating the sign. To our delight the top was covered with sheet copper.
I wonder had the Balfour been something else between closing and becoming a carpet store, or always a carpet store but changing proprietors.

Great post and lovely memories XM657. Great photos too. Yes, Staniforth Road has changed massively. You mention Balfour Road- The Balfour Cinema , I visited on many occasions -Roy Rodgers and Dale Evans, Tarzan and Jane ,Bing Crosby and Bob Hope, The Three Stooges etc. 6d (old pennies) on the front row with a stiff neck afterwards. Incidentally, in the 1940's, I remember counting the number of Cinemas in Sheffield -advertised in The Star- a massive 86. Hope we are not boring everybody.
Found these photos, answers my own question as to what the Balfour Cinema became between a cinema and a carpet shop. Clarks of Retford, and there's the afore mentioned sign.Darnall Old Balfour Cinema became C of R.jpgDarnall-Balfour Cinema-Stanifourth Rd side Entrance on Balfour Rd shown on left with canopy.jpg and as you remember it with Roy Rogers, not forgetting 'Trigger'.
Also had to stick these two in
Rex Cinema Intake photo taken period 1939-45 (2).jpg REX and
Manor Cinema-Manor Top (2).jpg MANOR

West Ham's Clyde Best. Bermudan. If that's the match I am thinking of, a saturday 3pm kick off in the early 1970's, I was there. I can't remember the final score but I'm pretty sure we won, maybe 2 or 3 nil. What I do remember is that some fans were making monkey chants at Clyde and threw bananas on the pitch. How times have changed, for the better. He was a good footballer that lad and a bit of a pioneer. There were very few black footballers at that time and it was great to see because it was so unusual.

There was a midweek match a few years later, v West Ham. I think it was during Ted Heath's disastrous government when they brought in the 3 day working week. It was on a Wednesday afternoon, or something like that. All I remember is that half the kids wagged school that afternoon to go and watch it. I wasn't one of them, but I would have liked to have been.

Last edited:
Found these photos, answers my own question as to what the Balfour Cinema became between a cinema and a carpet shop. Clarks of Retford, and there's the afore mentioned sign.View attachment 90058View attachment 90059 and as you remember it with Roy Rogers, not forgetting 'Trigger'.
View attachment 90060 REX and
View attachment 90061 MANOR

The Manor Cinema! Had many incarnations since, such as "Challenge! Challenge!" supermarket, and "Frankie Dee's" supermarket. Frankie Dee's used to have a football team in the Sunday pub league. They weren't nice to play against. I remember one kid in particular who had tattoo's (unusual back then for kids of our age) and an evil face, but, weirdly, wide female-like, big blue eyes. It just made his overall appearance even more sinister. Freakish even! 😳

That's a good'n 'ampt 'erd that before but do remember this as a kid. Ted Burgin walking down Fargate and sees Dave Macintosh walking the other way. Ted nods 'hello', Macintosh dives through Coles window.
As someone on here says, "I'll get mi coat".
Wonder if John Hope would have walked straight on. Conundrum.

The Manor Cinema! Had many incarnations since, such as "Challenge! Challenge!" supermarket, and "Frankie Dee's" supermarket. Frankie Dee's used to have a football team in the Sunday pub league. They weren't nice to play against. I remember one kid in particular who had tattoo's (unusual back then for kids of our age) and an evil face, but, weirdly, wide female-like, big blue eyes. It just made his overall appearance even more sinister. Freakish even! 😳
The tattooed fella obviously left his mark on you in more ways than one.:(

He never got anywhere near me - thankfully! I played outside right and was pretty quick. I wouldn't have wanted to be in midfield and going into the tackle with him! Pure evil I tell ye!
A mans got to do what a, etc. etc
Wi'd a been alright you and me, Left Back (not as in left behind, you understand) was I and I was quick. I think we,d a had a reight tussel against one another, but all in the right spirit and having enjoyed it at the final whistle.

He told me the last fuselage he worked on was a new a/c called a Welkin, one I had never heard of and I thought he must have got mixed up. Thirty years later, by accident in a conversation, was told all about the Westland Welkin,

Beautiful pic and not dissimilar to a Mosquito at first glance. I'd never heard of it so googled:

After fears the Germans would begin bombing from high levels beyond reach of Spitfires and Hurricanes, this plane had a massive wing span and a complicated pressurisation system to operate as a high altitude fighter. They only built a handful as in the event, they produced a modified Spit and by that time the Germans were too busy being bombed themselves.

Thanks for the mention and its another reason why this is the best thread on here.

Beautiful pic and not dissimilar to a Mosquito at first glance. I'd never heard of it so googled:

After fears the Germans would begin bombing from high levels beyond reach of Spitfires and Hurricanes, this plane had a massive wing span and a complicated pressurisation system to operate as a high altitude fighter. They only built a handful as in the event, they produced a modified Spit and by that time the Germans were too busy being bombed themselves.

Thanks for the mention and its another reason why this is the best thread on here.
From memory, it did go into squadron service, although only two or thee squadrons Believe it was earmarked for the Pacific theatre also but Hiroshima and Nagasaki put a stop to that. Quick also, around 400mph, events were the reason it became redundant rather than it's own failings.

Found these photos, answers my own question as to what the Balfour Cinema became between a cinema and a carpet shop. Clarks of Retford, and there's the afore mentioned sign.View attachment 90058View attachment 90059 and as you remember it with Roy Rogers, not forgetting 'Trigger'.
Is that the Rex at Intake or Sheffield Lane Top? Unbelievable queue's to see Lassie, is there 2 queue's for upstairs and downstairs or the circle and whatever it was called?. Bit of old fashioned smut being shown at the Manor, Privates Progress, was it the sequel to Privates on Parade, we forget that at that time the Sheffield Star had almost a full page of what's on at the pictures.

Rex Cinema Jesus that takes me back , remember going there with my parents to watch the Towering Inferno & Earthquake.. think disaster movies were the en vogue of the time in the 70s 🔥🔥🏦

West Ham's Clyde Best. Bermudan. If that's the match I am thinking of, a saturday 3pm kick off in the early 1970's, I was there. I can't remember the final score but I'm pretty sure we won, maybe 2 or 3 nil. What I do remember is that some fans were making monkey chants at Clyde and threw bananas on the pitch. How times have changed, for the better. He was a good footballer that lad and a bit of a pioneer. There were very few black footballers at that time and it was great to see because it was so unusual.

There was a midweek match a few years later, v West Ham. I think it was during Ted Heath's disastrous government when they brought in the 3 day working week. It was on a Wednesday afternoon, or something like that. All I remember is that half the kids wagged school that afternoon to go and watch it. I wasn't one of them, but I would have liked to have been.
The match in the photo was played on Tuesday afternoon 29th February 1972. Billy Dearden hat trick. My headmaster kindly let me the afternoon off work. My dad was working in afternoon shift so he asked his friend to use his season ticket and to take me to the match.

SB excelled yourself, again, with your plethora of excellent Photos, thanks. I really enjoyed. By the way is that TC defending, centre, in the Swindon away game?
Looks like TC to me too. Mick Heaton is far left. He was our regular left back in the first three months of that season.

Anyone else remember the Walkley Palladium (on South Road, towards the Library end)

It apparently closed in 1962, but remember seeing Ben Hur and Guns of Navarone there.

Attachments

• 1598777767157.png
    1598777767157.png
    132.8 KB · Views: 18
A mans got to do what a, etc. etc
Wi'd a been alright you and me, Left Back (not as in left behind, you understand) was I and I was quick. I think we,d a had a reight tussel against one another, but all in the right spirit and having enjoyed it at the final whistle.
well that's certainly the way I played the game. I think I can honestly say I never once deliberately fouled anyone and I never got into any trouble. My mate would say I never got into any tackles either! ;) He always teases me about that, even now. Met up with him and his wife a while ago and he was telling the wives about our footballing exploits. He said about me, "He was the fittest person I ever knew. We used to call him "The Gazelle". I was very fit back then - I was running 40 miles a week most weeks, on top of my football and badminton. Then he spoiled it by saying, "but he's the only player I've ever known who can go on a football pitch and play for 90 minutes, and when he comes off his kit's cleaner than when he went on!". 😆

Rex Cinema Jesus that takes me back , remember going there with my parents to watch the Towering Inferno & Earthquake.. think disaster movies were the en vogue of the time in the 70s 🔥🔥🏦
I used to go to The Rex quite a lot, it was about a twenty minute walk from home but never had to queue to get in. Also went with my dad to see Charge of The Light Brigade and Zulu amongst many others at the Manor.
Many years later a mate of mine told me a story about someone he knew who was working alone in one part of the Manor Cinema as they were refurbishing it as a supermarket, when he saw just a head with no body moving towards him, apparently he couldn’t get out fast enough.

Great memories of the Rex Cinema just living up the hill in Frecheville. Also frequented the Manor on occasions. From the picture paupers in the queue to the right downstairs usually the council estate kids and those with a few bob more from the private houses to the left going upstairs.

I took a young girl of 15 on a first date to the pictures upstairs to impress her being of the downstairs mob. Must have worked ended up marrying her four years later.

☝ I went.

Last edited:
Found these photos,
View attachment 90060 REX
Remember as a kid going to a schoolmates birthday party. We were all fed, then chucked into a transit van and taken to the Rex. Jungle book.
Few minutes in and with wonders of modern day technology, a hand written note appeared on-screen. Blah blah Transit van, shift it blah blah.
Must have been written wrong way around to be readable reyt way...🤔 I think.

Does anybody remember picture house on Spital hill? Early 60's.

Remember as a kid going to a schoolmates birthday party. We were all fed, then chucked into a transit van and taken to the Rex. Jungle book.
Few minutes in and with wonders of modern day technology, a hand written note appeared on-screen. Blah blah Transit van, shift it blah blah.
Must have been written wrong way around to be readable reyt way...🤔 I think.

Does anybody remember picture house on Spital hill? Early 60's.
Yes, it was called the Coliseum, it later became a petrol station, obviously after it was demolished

Back
Top Bottom