Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

If i had the money i would offer £18k for it.. but I guess it is a family heirloom.you will never part with it.

Wonder if it’s from this game, originally posted on page 486?

View attachment 60848
August 21st 1971.

GOAL - v Everton (a) 21.8.71. With nine minutes left Woodward smashed United into the lead with a ferocious shot from eight yards that found the net via the bar and post. The opening was created by Hockey's persistence followed by an intelligent pass and Everton thinking quite wrongly that Woodward was offside.

I missed the game (missed only 3 that season) cos I was on a family holiday in Ayr

There is something blissful about that kit. Simple, classy and unadorned by any sponsors branding - there isn't even a makers logo. Don't you just love Hockey's rolled up sleeves and lack of shin pads.

Better than Monty but Monty got close to replacing him.

August 21st 1971.

GOAL - v Everton (a) 21.8.71. With nine minutes left Woodward smashed United into the lead with a ferocious shot from eight yards that found the net via the bar and post. The opening was created by Hockey's persistence followed by an intelligent pass and Everton thinking quite wrongly that Woodward was offside.

I missed the game (missed only 3 that season) cos I was on a family holiday in Ayr

3-2 win.

and we these days moan about the posts on the Kop! (or rubbish away ends)

The view when it was packed like this was probably for some, seeing nothing of the match. I obviously didn't care at the time, but the corner always seemed like the best place to watch, and yet in the 80s when only a few in it, no one ever stood in the corner to my recollection.

Better than Monty but Monty got close to replacing him.
Our teacher at the time (Bill McKie - Eckington Junior School) was ex-RN and a nice bloke. Despite that, he was a porker and would spend large parts of the afternoon lessons berating TC and Hockey for the length of their hair and shirts-out styling. Even at the age of 10 we knew that this was pure envy.

in fact I wikipedia'd it,

The JS stand was built in 1896. (that can't be right?!)

But if it was, then they must have been making adjustments to it, as it is obviously highlighted. assumed that 1901 and the highlighting of it, was because it was being built. I thought it was built about 1901

In fact I'll screenshot this, as there must be mistakes here. The JS stand was built before the pavilion? :oops:
wish I'd not looked at this wiki page now!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-09-05 Bramall Lane - Wikipedia.png
    Screenshot_2019-09-05 Bramall Lane - Wikipedia.png
    33 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
SouthEssexBlade , great pictures.

As 20 years taxi driving, most days are boring old same thing, but occasionally you get an interesting customer, and these reminded me.

I had a job (about 2 or 3 years ago) from the Hallamshire, I got a job, was really old lass, really frail, and sometimes you think, oh shit, this is gonna be tough fare. You end up being an ambulance driver on fares like this.

Stuck in traffic, and we ended up talking about the war. She said her Dad was in the Sheffield fire service (volunteer), and she was telling me stories about being about 13 or 14 and having to run into town down through West St and High St, amongst all the fires, bombs, buildings over etc. to take her dad sandwiches that her mum made, because he'd been working so long.

I said, oh my you must have been shit scared!? (perhaps not in those words),

and she said, oh no, not at all, it was a great adventure! 🤣 You've gotta love old people like this.

real character she was. When you see jobs like that, you know you're gonna end up helping both ends of journey as can't leave someone. At least I got a story out of it... when we got to other end, 'oh, be a dear and open the front door, and get the kettle on'! I said are you sure, you don't even know me? This is beyond my licensing and legal obligations (again, not in these words), and she just laughed off modern nonsense. I had to get out, as she'd probably end up having my do her washing!

She obviously knew the NHS, as I said why you having to get taxi home? and she says, oh forget that man, they take hours, I want to go home lad, I want a cuppa tea. 🤣

“Even Bramall Lane, home of Sheffield United wasn’t spared”

From Lost films of WWII on BBC Four (on at the moment) - section on the blitz in Sheffield View attachment 60908
Just watched the programme too. Interesting pictures and the recollection from the old fella when he was a young boy. I once chatted to an old boy (rip) who told some amazing stories of that night. He was working in a factory on nights near where Decathalon is now. He comes out and the sky over town is lit up with fire. Walks up through town to get home to his wife going through loads of bomb damage and bodies of dead and injured. People were asking him for help but he's in shock and wondering what he'll find when he gets to his own home.

Back
Top Bottom