Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

For the benefit of those of us that aren’t taxi drivers, please could place names be posted alongside photos where possible?

Thanks muchlyl

Politely requested but still deserves some stick.

As you well know, being a Blade isn't easy and you have to work at it. For that reason and despite the good sense of your request, I'm afraid it's a 'no" from me Bob.

I had the misfortune to visit it last weekend. The missus said, "we need to go to M&S Food - let's go and try that new one up at Meadowhead". We did. And do you know what? It's just the same as the other one on Eccy Road. :tumbleweed:

I'm afraid that these horrible little out of town retail parks are popping up everywhere. They always have the same cheap tack, crappy shops. Load a shite! And somehow we can find the money to build these out of town, whilst the city centre itself is a decaying corpse, infected with nail-bars and charity shops.

If they had known you were going to use the retail park, Harrods, Fortnum&Mason and Harvey Nics would have been fighting it out for the last available space.;-)

Before my time...this is amazing! Interesting use of the term “adventure playground”. They don’t make ‘em like that anymore...

Attachments

• 8969A05F-C5E7-437A-B730-15A66BA53AC9.jpeg
    8969A05F-C5E7-437A-B730-15A66BA53AC9.jpeg
    513.9 KB · Views: 54
Don't think so, Handsworth Nunnery closed after Sheffield Nunnery I believe.
Brookhouse didn't close until early 80s. Beighton is a part of Sheffield although was in Derbyshire originally until the 50s I think.

Reactions: LSF
Brookhouse didn't close until early 80s. Beighton is a part of Sheffield although was in Derbyshire originally until the 50s I think.
Technically correct of course, but having worked in the industry for years Brookhouse was always, to me, Beighton near Rotherham, or, Beighton, Derbyshire .

I had the misfortune to visit it last weekend. The missus said, "we need to go to M&S Food - let's go and try that new one up at Meadowhead". We did. And do you know what? It's just the same as the other one on Eccy Road. :tumbleweed:

I'm afraid that these horrible little out of town retail parks are popping up everywhere. They always have the same cheap tack, crappy shops. Load a shite! And somehow we can find the money to build these out of town, whilst the city centre itself is a decaying corpse, infected with nail-bars and charity shops.
If as I suspect we are following the American blueprint ,chain restaurants will start popping up every few miles within the next few years ,we have costa and starbucks now but they will be more like Centertainment with Frankie and Benny type places ,and all nearly the same. Hope we get Red Robin and Olive garden franchises ,they are both really good.

That’s sad news. As GBS says, he was an excellent footballer. He cut a very distinctive, stylish figure on the pitch. Came across as a nice guy as well.
Chivers long throw, skims off Gilzean's head, somebody knocks it in the net.... goal!

Can you remember him doing that to us on that sunny day at The Lane in 1971?

If as I suspect we are following the American blueprint ,chain restaurants will start popping up every few miles within the next few years ,we have costa and starbucks now but they will be more like Centertainment with Frankie and Benny type places ,and all nearly the same. Hope we get Red Robin and Olive garden franchises ,they are both really good.

Less bland American crap. Serving imported frozen food.

It ain't good.

Trust me, I live in the middle east and every American chain is there doing exactly the above.

Chivers long throw, skims off Gilzean's head, somebody knocks it in the net.... goal!

Can you remember him doing that to us on that sunny day at The Lane in 1971?

It was Gilzean who scored it. All the goals from 2:05 onwards. Great (and typical) Denis Law goal starts off the whole compilation.

It was Gilzean who scored it. All the goals from 2:05 onwards. Great (and typical) Denis Law goal starts off the whole compilation.

Excellent. In Bert's mind it was Gilzean who flicked it on just like he'd done a thousand times before.

Capture.PNG
4th June 1967, Friendly match, Barcelona 0 Sheffield United 0.

The caption says (freehand translation): Once again (Mick) Jones, the lively but unlucky forward attacking the Barcelona defence. The ball, however, goes towards the hands of Barreiro, who performed efficiently in goal for the national champions. Quijano, Macías and Ponce de León are ready to provide backup to their team-mate (Barreiro).

Capture.PNG
From the same game.
The caption says (freehand translation): Barcelona had managed to infiltrate the crowded British defence line, made up of 10 players. "Canario" tries to put the ball in the gap that he anticipates that Lasso will move into....of His Majesty [?], apart from Hodgkinson who has fallen. Birchenall goes to intercept the ball and nothing will happen [?]; but in the second half, Barcelona recovered and battled...[the rest of the text is cut off].

View attachment 41366
From the same game.
The caption says (freehand translation): Barcelona had managed to infiltrate the crowded British defence line, made up of 10 players. "Canario" tries to put the ball in the gap that he anticipates that Lasso will move into....of His Majesty [?], apart from Hodgkinson who has fallen. Birchenall goes to intercept the ball and nothing will happen [?]; but in the second half, Barcelona recovered and battled...[the rest of the text is cut off].

Birchenall, defending?????

o_O

View attachment 41365
4th June 1967, Friendly match, Barcelona 0 Sheffield United 0.

The caption says (freehand translation): Once again (Mick) Jones, the lively but unlucky forward attacking the Barcelona defence. The ball, however, goes towards the hands of Barreiro, who performed efficiently in goal for the national champions. Quijano, Macías and Ponce de León are ready to provide backup to their team-mate (Barreiro).
And a straight 'A' for the translation...

Back
Top Bottom