Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The Spitfire was moved elsewhere in the early 60s. I can remember that my school, Herdings County Primary School, had a bit of a protest with a banner and a march to keep it where it was, but to no avail. It was about the same time that the air displays stopped which used to be fantastic with planes making low level,fly pasts. I can still remember the Vulcan bomber to this day. Very loud and intimidating, but exciting all the same

I forgive you. :)

I must admit, I can’t remember the air displays.

Now you can forget how bleak it was and this must have been taken in the 60s or early 70s. Looking up Cricket Inn Road, you can see the abattoir on the left hand side. The background is the slag heap from the old Nunnery Colliery.

index.php
What a fantastic photograph.

There was a spitfire by the gate of the RAF station on Norton Lane. I remember it quite well as my dad always pointed it out when we walked past. I understand that the RAF station was a wartime barrage balloon station, it was too small to have a runway. I think you can learn to drive on the site now.
Also there was a saddle tank industrial steam loco which arrived possibly early 70’s in land on Lightwood Lane.
My dad was based at Norton during the first few months of the war on the barrage balloons. His sergeant had a bright idea of fixing a basket onto the wire and sending someone up as an observer. Luckily it was only a suggestion, not an order, as my dad politely declined the offer!! He was later transferred to Biggin Hill and knew quite a few of the spitfire pilots, but not to speak to as they were mainly ex-public school and didn't talk to the oiks.

Paul, one of this lads still lives up on Thorpe House, he's a Wednesday fan though (Paul).

They've got quite a few shops in Sheffield now, x2 on Division St and x1 on Surrey St (one of the original shops).

I hope you're well KentBlade.

That must be the son of the lad I went to school with.

Good to know the business has expanded, despite the current economic problems seen on the High Street.

Trust you and your family (growing up now )are well and that you are still going to the Lane.

My visits are now not as regular as I would like, primarily health reasons but still battle on and enjoy life.

UTB

The Valley was fantastic in the early days. We had our own garden and an inside toilet, luxury.

Where Herding's Park is now were open fields. At the edge of Norton Avenue was a copse with two small ponds containing frogs and newts. We spent hours in there wading in our wellies catching and releasing the same creatures time and time again.

Across Norton Avenue, which was single carriageway at the time, was Lightwood Lane, a little bit of the countryside right on your doorstep.

We used to walk to the end of the Lane, then over the fields down to Ford, then walk back up the hill to Ridgeway and then back on White Lane to Gleadless Town End and onwards to home.

Those halcyon days seemed to last forever and it sounds a bit of a cliche now, but they truly were "Happy days."
Recall all that very well.
When the estate was being built we used to cycle there after school to look round.
Lightwood Lane we used to cycle down which was next to an RAF place on Hemsworth Road but I am going back to the 50's.
Lees Hall Golf club backing onto Cat Lane Woods and the wood being assessed from the Thorpe House estate which included one famous resident Jimmy Hagan.

Happy memories

UTB

Now you can forget how bleak it was and this must have been taken in the 60s or early 70s. Looking up Cricket Inn Road, you can see the abattoir on the left hand side. The background is the slag heap from the old Nunnery Colliery.

index.php
Now that is an eye opener, I had never realised coal mining had taken place so close to the city centre.

Great photo.

My dad was based at Norton during the first few months of the war on the barrage balloons. His sergeant had a bright idea of fixing a basket onto the wire and sending someone up as an observer. Luckily it was only a suggestion, not an order, as my dad politely declined the offer!! He was later transferred to Biggin Hill and knew quite a few of the spitfire pilots, but not to speak to as they were mainly ex-public school and didn't talk to the oiks.
he was unlucky going to Biggin.. full of ponces .. many spit and hurricane pilots were flight sargeants but that goes against the narrative of how the middle class won it

Now that is an eye opener, I had never realised coal mining had taken place so close to the city centre.

Great photo.

Woodbourn Road towards where Makro was sited and a bit beyond. Nunnery pit ceased in about 1953. My granddad worker there, and then when it closed moved to Brookhouse.

My dad used to bring home a paper bag full of broken biscuits from Woolies on the Moor every friday night.
By the time I had a saturday job at Tescos they were all in packets so we could really only break one type of biscuit at a time, which wasn't nearly as enjoyable
Davy's on Fargate and Haymarket sold broken biscuits.
My Dad always got a bag and tried to include the one with a coffee type coating on one side.
Well remember all the grocery shops had tins of biscuits which you had to get a paper bag to fill.
Butter/lard and all the fats sold by weight and wrapped in grease proof paper
With rationing in force limited to the number of coupons one had dependent on size of family.
if you got a bad egg had to take it back to get a replacement.
The advent of sliced bread was a revelation.

UTB.

I can understand that.

index.php

Has to be 1960s l would have thought as it took some time to clear and work on the Parkway started in the 70's. A fire would break out on those heaps every now and again.

Thinking that photo may have been taken outside the Cricket Inn.

There was a spitfire by the gate of the RAF station on Norton Lane. I remember it quite well as my dad always pointed it out when we walked past. I understand that the RAF station was a wartime barrage balloon station, it was too small to have a runway. I think you can learn to drive on the site now.
Also there was a saddle tank industrial steam loco which arrived possibly early 70’s in land on Lightwood Lane.

Must be my memory then, I thought it was on the left, going down Lightwood Lane in a garden. This would've been early 70's.

The Spitfire was moved elsewhere in the early 60s. I can remember that my school, Herdings County Primary School, had a bit of a protest with a banner and a march to keep it where it was, but to no avail. It was about the same time that the air displays stopped which used to be fantastic with planes making low level,fly pasts. I can still remember the Vulcan bomber to this day. Very loud and intimidating, but exciting all the same

I forgive you. :)
I went to herdings infants and junior school when it first opened (1959)? We moved onto morland close when the estate first started getting houses finished, had to go to hollinsend infants for a short while until herdings was finished, the RAF open days were absolutely fantastic fir a young kid, you remember the vulcan but my memory also tells me about the V bomber, we all thought it was going to take the roof off! A walk down lightwood lane,across the fields down to ford, up to ridgeway road, and straight on to townend,good memories.

Woodbourn Road towards where Makro was sited and a bit beyond. Nunnery pit ceased in about 1953. My granddad worker there, and then when it closed moved to Brookhouse.

Wasn't that the last pit in Sheffield?

Has to be 1960s l would have thought as it took some time to clear and work on the Parkway started in the 70's. A fire would break out on those heaps every now and again.

The fires would break out due to a process called spontaneous combustion. They could go on for months. I'm sure there also used to be a spoil heap somewhere up what became Norfolk Park estate as I have vague memories of scrabbling around on them watching the smoke coming up through the cracks in the ground.

That must be the son of the lad I went to school with.

Good to know the business has expanded, despite the current economic problems seen on the High Street.

Trust you and your family (growing up now )are well and that you are still going to the Lane.

My visits are now not as regular as I would like, primarily health reasons but still battle on and enjoy life.

UTB

They've got a good business down at Taylor Taylor.

All well with me, still up Norton Lees, bottom of Warminster Rd now, newish estate, was probably a old stone house when you live up there but now a housing estate across from the allotments.

Kids all good, 7 & 9 yrs old, got my lad his first season ticket this year having taken him a few times last season.

Must be my memory then, I thought it was on the left, going down Lightwood Lane in a garden. This would've been early 70's.

You might be right, my memories are going back to the early to mid sixties when the Spitfire acted as a gate guard to the RAF station. I was still walking down Lightwood Lane during the seventies but don’t recall any aircraft down there, only the tank loco.

I went to herdings infants and junior school when it first opened (1959)? We moved onto morland close when the estate first started getting houses finished, had to go to hollinsend infants for a short while until herdings was finished, the RAF open days were absolutely fantastic fir a young kid, you remember the vulcan but my memory also tells me about the V bomber, we all thought it was going to take the roof off! A walk down lightwood lane,across the fields down to ford, up to ridgeway road, and straight on to townend,good memories.
Much like you I went to Hollinsend school first, then Constable Road school, before moving to Herdings once it was complete. Before that I had been to St Stephen's school in Upperthorpe before we moved to the Valley. I was therefore at four nursery/infant schools before the age of six. No wonder I'm traumatised by the whole school experience. :)

As a matter of interest the V bombers were the Victor the Valiant and the Vulcan. They were our nuclear deterrent but the one I recall clearly was the delta winged Vulcan. A mighty beast.

40F2CA75-1159-47A2-B870-C212644C0829.jpeg
Much like you I went to Hollinsend school first, then Constable Road school, before moving to Herdings once it was complete. Before that I had been to St Stephen's school in Upperthorpe before we moved to the Valley. I was therefore at four nursery/infant schools before the age of six. No wonder I'm traumatised by the whole school experience. :)

As a matter of interest the V bombers were the Victor the Valiant and the Vulcan. They were our nuclear deterrent but the one I recall clearly was the delta winged Vulcan. A mighty beast.

Back
Top Bottom