Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Revolution?
Spot on. After finishing my degree I came back to Sheffield and found this shop quite by accident.

It was owned by a chap called Pete Martin, who went on to become Def Leppard's first manager.

I was a regular in there and would listen to, and buy, loads of records as I was by then working and not a tax dodging student any more.

It got to the stage where I would walk in and he would say,"Have you heard this?" He would then play whatever it was, and I would inevitably buy it. I would like to think I kept him in business;)

Spot on. After finishing my degree I came back to Sheffield and found this shop quite by accident.

It was owned by a chap called Pete Martin, who went on to become Def Leppard's first manager.

I was a regular in there and would listen to, and buy, loads of records as I was by then working and not a tax dodging student any more.

It got to the stage where I would walk in and he would say,"Have you heard this?" He would then play whatever it was, and I would inevitably buy it. I would like to think I kept him in business;)

The little Scottish guy?

The little Scottish guy?

The chap I recall was certainly Scottish and on the small side. Very affable, he was, and happy to talk all things music. I remember pre-ordering Black and Blue, a Stones album, from him and picking it up on the day of release. I think I was waiting outside when the shop opened.

He had quite an attractive blonde wife/girlfriend.

The chap I recall was certainly Scottish and on the small side. Very affable, he was, and happy to talk all things music. I remember pre-ordering Black and Blue, a Stones album, from him and picking it up on the day of release. I think I was waiting outside when the shop opened.

He had quite an attractive blonde wife/girlfriend.

That's the guy.

Mucky Duck.

Pistols played there in 76 and the Clash supported at their first ever gig. To my eternal shame I was a silly 12 year old and never went.

I think the knowledge that I misssed this magic moment is history is what has made me such a miserable old wanker.

That was down to Sir Charles Clegg Sir.

The Valley was fantastic in the early days. We had our own garden and an inside toilet, luxury.

Where Herding's Park is now were open fields. At the edge of Norton Avenue was a copse with two small ponds containing frogs and newts. We spent hours in there wading in our wellies catching and releasing the same creatures time and time again.

Across Norton Avenue, which was single carriageway at the time, was Lightwood Lane, a little bit of the countryside right on your doorstep.

We used to walk to the end of the Lane, then over the fields down to Ford, then walk back up the hill to Ridgeway and then back on White Lane to Gleadless Town End and onwards to home.

Those halcyon days seemed to last forever and it sounds a bit of a cliche now, but they truly were "Happy days."
A few metres down Lightfoot Lane on your way to Ridgeway is still in countryside as it opens into Moss Valley.

A few metres down Lightfoot Lane on your way to Ridgeway is still in countryside as it opens into Moss Valley.

Did there used to be an aeroplane in someone's garden down Lightwood Lane, or is my memory playing tricks again?

Did there used to be an aeroplane in someone's garden down Lightwood Lane, or is my memory playing tricks again?

There was a spitfire by the gate of the RAF station on Norton Lane. I remember it quite well as my dad always pointed it out when we walked past. I understand that the RAF station was a wartime barrage balloon station, it was too small to have a runway. I think you can learn to drive on the site now.
Also there was a saddle tank industrial steam loco which arrived possibly early 70’s in land on Lightwood Lane.

s18604.jpg

I went to Taylors, gentlemans hair dressers when it was run by Grandad Taylor as he was called utilising a separate room to the rest of the salon.
His son John Taylor used to run the first chair in, with the present John Taylor being his son who I went to school with.
Young Mr Taylor had two sons John who went into the business and another one who's name I cannot recall but they went to Carfield school with me and lived on Thorpe House Road, the lower part just above Cat Lane Woods.
There was also working there a John, a polish gentleman, Ernest a tall figure of a man, while there might have been others they were the ones I recall.
Men used to go to Ernest to have their hair singed in those days.
John cut my hair for a long time including a wedding cut.
He opened his own shop at Highfields but it did not succeed and moved onto T C Harrisons the Ford dealer who opened up a salon in the show room, the idea being to have a hair cut when one took the car in for service etc.
I also used to go to J C Rands opposite John Lewis latterly in 1960's before leaving Sheffield for Grimsby.
John at Taylors used to be a Blade supporter have come to England after fighting for us in the second world war.
Above Taylors in long gone days was Tuckwoods restaurant.

My first visit to Taylors would have been around 1946-47, what a long time ago now.
Very unique for a family business to have been so successful and handed down through the generations.

Why should I post this, probably because Wilder goes in and partly because I will always be a Sheffielder and a Blade.

Sorry to bore you all.

UTB

Paul, one of this lads still lives up on Thorpe House, he's a Wednesday fan though (Paul).

They've got quite a few shops in Sheffield now, x2 on Division St and x1 on Surrey St (one of the original shops).

I hope you're well KentBlade.

Paul, one of this lads still lives up on Thorpe House, he's a Wednesday fan though (Paul).

They've got quite a few shops in Sheffield now, x2 on Division St and x1 on Surrey St (one of the original shops).

I hope you're well KentBlade.

Paul's (with his other half) has got the Shepley Spitfire at Totley. Matt and Nick are Blades.

There was a spitfire by the gate of the RAF station on Norton Lane. I remember it quite well as my dad always pointed it out when we walked past. I understand that the RAF station was a wartime barrage balloon station, it was too small to have a runway. I think you can learn to drive on the site now.
Also there was a saddle tank industrial steam loco which arrived possibly early 70’s in land on Lightwood Lane.
The Spitfire was moved elsewhere in the early 60s. I can remember that my school, Herdings County Primary School, had a bit of a protest with a banner and a march to keep it where it was, but to no avail. It was about the same time that the air displays stopped which used to be fantastic with planes making low level,fly pasts. I can still remember the Vulcan bomber to this day. Very loud and intimidating, but exciting all the same
Sorry, Norton Avenue, it’s my age!
I forgive you. :)

Back
Top Bottom