Norwood - The elephant in the room.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The elephant for me isn't Norwood but Souza like many others have suggested.

I truly hope that Souza can improve and be the player we thought we had signed. But as it stands I feel that Souza does more harm than good in our play.
That's not to say he's dreadful all of every match. But there are issues to his play, predominantly that he's not the enforcer I thought he was and his passing isn't up to scratch either at times..

I've seen some revert to stats to suggest Souza is doing better than we think. Stats can be deceptive though and I think you can often see enough without them.
Sometimes stats can show you more than you think either way but in this instance I think I know what I see.
My attitude on this is based on today, and the future of a much younger player. Sousa is younger with potential. Norwood is older and failing. He is now going downhill fast at this level. His selection should no longer be guaranteed!
I see Norwood as a squad player only, in EPL games.

Norwood, a prickly nettle to grasp, frustatres me with his constant passing back to Wes, and also impresses me with his safe style of play when nothing is on by passing it back to Wes.

I really think he shouldn't be captain, but we're picking points up with him as captain..

Conundrum anybody?

Norwood, a prickly nettle to grasp, frustatres me with his constant passing back to Wes, and also impresses me with his safe style of play when nothing is on by passing it back to Wes.

I really think he shouldn't be captain, but we're picking points up with him as captain..

Conundrum anybody?
slows us down and turns.so many attacks from promising positions where we have managed to keep the ball and work it forward into defence by giving it to wes to hoof up front

his set pieces are truly atrocious floated up in the air for either the keeper to claim or the tallest player on pitch to head away ,unless the tallest player on pitch is ours and he heads it away

slows us down and turns.so many attacks from promising positions where we have managed to keep the ball and work it forward into defence by giving it to wes to hoof up front

his set pieces are truly atrocious floated up in the air for either the keeper to claim or the tallest player on pitch to head away ,unless the tallest player on pitch is ours and he heads it away
The thing that really grinds my gears is that, two years on from publicly whining about the way Slav had him playing, Norwood is doing exactly the same thing now, standing next to the centre backs whenever we have the ball.

this is causing a lot of problems. It's making it easier for the opposition to press, and it's impossible to get the ball forward quickly. His immobility (in PL terms) and the fact that Souza is similarly immobile are killing us.

It was noteworthy that as soon as Brighton went down to 10 Norwood appeared over the halfway line. He needs to be up there a hell of a lot more often.

And as you say there is no way on earth he should be taking free kicks and corners at this point. Hamer is better at it. let him do it.

If we are to stop being trapped in our own half the Norwood-Souza pairing must be broken up, and the one who is dropped needs to be replaced by Hamer.

The thing that really grinds my gears is that, two years on from publicly whining about the way Slav had him playing, Norwood is doing exactly the same thing now, standing next to the centre backs whenever we have the ball.

this is causing a lot of problems. It's making it easier for the opposition to press, and it's impossible to get the ball forward quickly. His immobility (in PL terms) and the fact that Souza is similarly immobile are killing us.

It was noteworthy that as soon as Brighton went down to 10 Norwood appeared over the halfway line. He needs to be up there a hell of a lot more often.

And as you say there is no way on earth he should be taking free kicks and corners at this point. Hamer is better at it. let him do it.

If we are to stop being trapped in our own half the Norwood-Souza pairing must be broken up, and the one who is dropped needs to be replaced by Hamer.
the team that finished last season with mcatee and doyle and ndiaye obviously in it would have been better equipped to deal with this season
needed to get more athleticism in and around them instead we have gone backward by crow barring norwood in who hasnt been considered athletic enough by any club hes played for in the last decade except us
where he was woefully exposed
doing this also means all our other midfielders are playing out of position and innefective

all the transfer issues hecky has had to deal with dont excuse this

athletic mobile players were available for peanuts in chong ,doyle ,choudurhy etc

Hamer has been taking corners and free kicks for the last 6 games and if anything they have got worse. The lack of determination in the box is just as much a problem.

Maybe not the exact same position, but that role. The playmaker, if you like. West Ham is the best example (from a very small sample) where he tried to be the playmaker from deep and it didn't work at all.

I understand the limitations to Norwood, but also understand why Hecky brought him back.

I'd be happy to see more of Hamer playing that role.
He was still a wide midfielder (in a three) with the role of a number 8 against West Ham. Although Norwood wasn't playing I think that RCM position involves so much running off the ball, having to get forward to support the forwards, trying (mostly in vain) to find some space to run into, then chase back to track their runners, that Hamer was unable to playmake, certainly the way he did at Coventry.

1700212754656.png

On the day the midfield looked too weak. I think Hamer needs to be restricted in terms of his attacking assignments to properly judge his playmaking abilities. We need to see if he can do those things we miss from Norwood, i.e. get on the ball, attract pressure, beat a man and then pass to forward moving players in front of him. I think the best way to do that is trying him in a central partnership with Souza, a two-man central midfield.

He was still a wide midfielder (in a three) with the role of a number 8 against West Ham. Although Norwood wasn't playing I think that RCM position involves so much running off the ball, having to get forward to support the forwards, trying (mostly in vain) to find some space to run into, then chase back to track their runners, that Hamer was unable to playmake, certainly the way he did at Coventry.

View attachment 174768

On the day the midfield looked too weak. I think Hamer needs to be restricted in terms of his attacking assignments to properly judge his playmaking abilities. We need to see if he can do those things we miss from Norwood, i.e. get on the ball, attract pressure, beat a man and then pass to forward moving players in front of him. I think the best way to do that is trying him in a central partnership with Souza, a two-man central midfield.
Decent shout, but ,no Baldock?

View attachment 174768

I dont think Souza is anywhere near Norwood, apart from celebrating throw ins

Everything about his game yesterday was utter dog shit....aimless balls, weak tackles, pathetic crossing...how on earth Hecky can't see that Norwood is the epicenter of our shitness is beyond me.

Tin Hat time, at the risk of putting myself in the same ridiculous category as Fallowfield and various other posters, i actually thought he was our best player yesterday. Without him constantly showing for the ball, God knows what we'd have looked like.

Still athletically as gifted as Stephen Hawking and Christopher Reeve, but at least he showed for the ball and tried to make something happen...

Tin Hat time, at the risk of putting myself in the same ridiculous category as Fallowfield and various other posters, i actually thought he was our best player yesterday. Without him constantly showing for the ball, God knows what we'd have looked like.

Still athletically as gifted as Stephen Hawking and Christopher Reeve, but at least he showed for the ball and tried to make something happen...

I agree that he does show for the ball. However when he receives it he doesn't have the ability to create space for himself. The opposition put him under pressure and he either gives the ball away or plays a hospital ball.

He's not the only one who treats the ball like a hot potato.

Technically Bournemouth were better than us. Receiving the ball they had the ability to control, turn, twist, move and create space for themselves.

McAtee has the ability but even he yesterday seem to overhit passes or lose control of the ball. Disappointing.

Norwood is a bottom half championship player at best..if he gets a new contract god help us next season.

I thought Norwood was utter shite yesterday, and yet somehow Souza was still worse. At least Norwood keeps wanting the ball and never ever hides, no matter how bad he's playing.

One of them has to play probably, as the other midfielders are either injured or just not up to the standard (or both), but under different circumstances I'd have hooked both at half time yesterday.

He's been a good player for us and key to most of our recent success but he's not a captain for me.

Not sure what he's like in the dressing room in fairness but I don't see enough leadership on the pitch.

Also think it's the little things too. He was straight off the pitch at the end whilst Baldock and Robbo walked around the emptied stands acknowledging who was left.

for me playing souza and norwood together in midfield is our major problem neither are good enough for the premier league and to play 2 defensive midfielders and 5 at the back at home in any league is conceding the game before a ball is kicked unbelievable negative tactics from hecky he gifted bournemouth the 3 points totally unacceptable from a sheffield united side playing at bramall lane in any league

Sorry, but you can only piss with cock you’ve got, it’s just unfortunate ours always hits the cistern instead of the toilet bowl.

At 1-0 down he gets booked for time wasting by rolling the ball away. I was incandescent “we’re losing you idiot why are you delaying the restart”.

And then they were allowed to blatantly boot the ball away and stand on free kicks multiple times without any sniff of officials doing anything. Top level consistency right there.

for me playing souza and norwood together in midfield is our major problem neither are good enough for the premier league and to play 2 defensive midfielders and 5 at the back at home in any league is conceding the game before a ball is kicked unbelievable negative tactics from hecky he gifted bournemouth the 3 points totally unacceptable from a sheffield united side playing at bramall lane in any league
Yeah, If Hecky had persisted with the Norwood and Fleck combo last season we probably wouldn’t have got promoted.

And then they were allowed to blatantly boot the ball away and stand on free kicks multiple times without any sniff of officials doing anything. Top level consistency right there.
Completely agree with that. I ranted about that too but that doesn’t excuse our captain having such a brain fart moment like that. He’s the one that should set the example and drive the team. I’m not a Norwood knocker and anyone doubting that can check my posts but that completely infuriated me and was symptomatic of the lack of direction and plan we had. That’s not all down to the players I accept that but they have to take their share of responsibility and leadership.

Completely agree with that. I ranted about that too but that doesn’t excuse our captain having such a brain fart moment like that. He’s the one that should set the example and drive the team. I’m not a Norwood knocker and anyone doubting that can check my posts but that completely infuriated me and was symptomatic of the lack of direction and plan we had. That’s not all down to the players I accept that but they have to take their share of responsibility and leadership.

I wasn’t using it to excuse him :), more a relevant time to point it out… had we been a little more competitive I suspect the officials would have got a little more heat than just me ranting at them 🤣

Back
Top Bottom