Norwood - The elephant in the room.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Charlieblade

Reaction score
Despite his leadership qualities, and his amazing history with the club, he is currently the cause for players like Hamer and Souza playing out of position.

The only successful partnership he has enjoyed was with Fleck, and that seems unlikely to be the answer. Is it time to bench him and give the manager and newer players the opportunity to play without the deference to Norwoods seniority?

I don’t see Norwood as the solution to our current problems. I don’t see Norwood as the answer to the clubs future prospects, despite his history.

He wouldn’t be a first choice midfielder if we had more fit players.

If he’s dropped we have a choice of Osborn, Fleck and Slimane to replace him. None of those 3 have set the world alight so it’s a case of ‘better the devil you know’ for me.

The other option would be to drop Hamer in and play Slimane or Osborn further forward. Hardly inspiring!

He wouldn’t be a first choice midfielder if we had more fit players.

If he’s dropped we have a choice of Osborn, Fleck and Slimane to replace him. None of those 3 have set the world alight so it’s a case of ‘better the devil you know’ for me.

The other option would be to drop Hamer in and play Slimane or Osborn further forward. Hardly inspiring!
Which injured player are you waiting to get fit so they can replace Norwood? McBurnie back with McAtee going in to midfield?
Bit of a coinflip whether to drop Norwood or Souza I guess. I reckon Norwood's experience might just get him the nod between those two.

Last edited:
Tin Hat time, but Osborn suits our current style of play (esp away from home) better than Norwood. If dominate possession then Norwood is undoubtedly first choice, but out of possession he lacks the legs, energy, agility....

Said it a couple of times already, we'd be better off starting with pups like Osborn/Coulibally to chase shadows for 60mins, then bring Norwood on for the last 30 (or 40 as it is these days) where we'll have more possession....

Which injured player are you waiting to get fit so they can replace Norwood? McBurnie back with McAtee going in to midfield?
Bit of a coinflip whether to drop Norwood or Souza I guess. I reckon Norwood's experience might just get him the nod between those two.
What ! No talk of Coulibye(?)”

This is something we could try when AA is back:

View attachment 174663

I reckon Hecky would pick Osborn over Bogle. Bogle is a bigger goal threat and carries the ball better, which is why I'd try him first. It is vital we have some players who can get into the box and finish.

Not really much of a team with these injuries. Everything about the squad is square pegs in round holes.

View attachment 174663

I reckon Hecky would pick Osborn over Bogle. Bogle is a bigger goal threat and carries the ball better, which is why I'd try him first. It is vital we have some players who can get into the box and finish.
Could be a shout, cant recall any time Souza has passed the ball forward though. That right hand side would be defunct.

Could be a shout, cant recall any time Souza has passed the ball forward though. That right hand side would be defunct.
The last game apart, Souza's passing accuracy has been good. If partnered by a more dynamic player, there may be a little more forward passing options opening up for him.

Norwood wouldn't be playing if Souza was playing well...as it is, Souza has been something of a liability so far - ponderous on the ball, gives up possession easily and constantly caught out of position.

For all the moaning about Norwood. Only player we have who is calm on trhe ball. Only player we have who can put his foot on the ball. Only player we have who can receive ball in a tight position. Every time we play good he plays good. Against 10 men at Brighton - freed up Norwood he played good. Bottle to take that pen against Wolves- off the scale.

We should have upgraded- but for me Ollie is not priority to change right now. Yes he gets caught on the ball - but Jesus he offers for the ball all the time- in this team that is a massive trait to be admired.

View attachment 174663

I really like the look of that line-up, I think you are right about Bogle over osborn for his goal threat and his strength

View attachment 174663

Looks good to me. Lowe and Osborn to come on after 65/70 minutes.
Perhaps I would swop Trusty and Robinson.

I’d say that Tom Davies was probably brought in as the ‘improvement’ on Norwood. This is the problem though, we’ve never managed to sign a viable option to replace his role in the team.

Did we improve when Souza went off on Sunday (prior to the sending off) ?

I said it last season and i'll say it again this season Norwood sits 10 yards to deep on the toes of the defence, this just invites the press on which is part of the problem

Norwood should be a player to bring off the bench 10-15 to go when leading in a tight game, He should not be starting in the premier league

View attachment 174663

Even though it means tw players replacing Norwood, I support this line up.

Norwood only ever plays one position. It’s time that we, as a team moved on. As good a servant as he has been in the past, he is now past his sell by date at this level.

Hamer gets to play a potion he has enjoyed success with at Coventry, which is why we bought him!
Good also to see Bogle moved forward on the right.

I was wondering who might lose a spot when Ahmedhodzic is back, But either can fill in at centre Half. (Trusty or JLT).

Just need to find a gap for McBurnie when he comes back.

Tin Hat time, but Osborn suits our current style of play (esp away from home) better than Norwood. If dominate possession then Norwood is undoubtedly first choice, but out of possession he lacks the legs, energy, agility....

Said it a couple of times already, we'd be better off starting with pups like Osborn/Coulibally to chase shadows for 60mins, then bring Norwood on for the last 30 (or 40 as it is these days) where we'll have more possession....
Sadly you’re right.

Back
Top Bottom