new signing tomorrow???

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

But shorter.

He is very similar to Montgomery actually. Coleman tried to bring in Montgomery as Doyle's replacement last summer.

I like to play Michael Doyle bingo when he plays, Sheff Utd fans you can play now! Just tick these things off when Doyler inevitably does them:

- Gets involved in some sort of spat with a member of the opposite team (he is a top top WUM)
- Bicycle kick clearance
- Scissor kick clearance
- Closes down the opposition and spreads his arms out. Bit like a goalie, as if to say you're not getting the ball past me
- Attempts a first time shot which goes well over the bar

Cheers Houso, interesting read.

So Monty mark II then? :rolleyes:

Exactly, hardly one to set the pulses racing.

So we sell Britton and bring in Montys twin hardly inspiring at the moment. Hopefully this is the start not the end of our business.

If it's all we can afford, it's all we can afford.

Exactly, hardly one to set the pulses racing.

So we sell Britton and bring in Montys twin hardly inspiring at the moment. Hopefully this is the start not the end of our business.

He might be competition/replacement for Monty. It depends what Micky's thinking is. I'm of the opinion that we need two central midfielders.....who knows, Doyle might be one of two. But if he's been bought to play alongside Monty then I'm totally lost.

I've seen Doyle play a few times, very committed and tough in the tackle. He's got a good voice (gobby) on the pitch as well so he is the kind of guy you want in the trenches with you but we cant rely totally on that. We need some guile and ingenuity as well. I dont think Britton was providing that either but there are players available that could.

If he's got someone else in mind as well (an Andy Reid or even a Michael Brown) then I can see the sense in signing Doyle. Otherwise.....beats me :confused:

If this and Marcus Bent is the sum total of Adams' big plan to stay up I despair, I really do.

There is no point in signing Doyle if Monty and Quinn are to stay at the club. None whatsoever.

If this and Marcus Bent is the sum total of Adams' big plan to stay up I despair, I really do.

He might be competition/replacement for Monty.

I would rather them throw the money away than sign someone because they think it would provide "competition" for Monty.

Lets see what happens first Rev. We're all getting a little carried away when nothing has been confirmed and there is still a week to go in the window.

We also have to remember that the money isnt there to get the signings we probably expect. Everyone (myself included) is sat there hoping for Andy Reid or Glenn Whelan, when the Michael Doyles of this world are the only types of players we can afford. As raul said, we'll get what we can get and we have to give new players a chance to do the job. Nothing else we can do.

He might be competition/replacement for Monty. It depends what Micky's thinking is. I'm of the opinion that we need two central midfielders.....who knows, Doyle might be one of two. But if he's been bought to play alongside Monty then I'm totally lost.
A replacement/competition for Monty?
Do we need such a player?
With have one central midfielders in Williamson and he needs a partner. Personally I don't want that to be monty, monty mkII, or Quinny. I'd like someone that can keep possession of the ball.

I've seen Doyle play a few times, very committed and tough in the tackle. He's got a good voice (gobby) on the pitch as well so he is the kind of guy you want in the trenches with you but we cant rely totally on that. We need some guile and ingenuity as well. I dont think Britton was providing that either but there are players available that could.

If he's got someone else in mind as well (an Andy Reid or even a Michael Brown) then I can see the sense in signing Doyle. Otherwise.....beats me :confused:
But who would you play if we signed Reid or Brown? Monty and his clone on the bench or would you move our best central midfielder out to make way?

This deal makes no sense until Monty is leaving, which I doubt.

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

We also have to remember that the money isnt there to get the signings we probably expect. Everyone (myself included) is sat there hoping for Andy Reid or Glenn Whelan, when the Michael Doyle's of this world are the only types of players we can afford. As raul said, we'll get what we can get and we have to give new players a chance to do the job. Nothing else we can do.

Then sign no one and save the money, we don't need another Monty, we have more than enough already. I'd rather a kid get a spot on the bench rather than have two of that type of player.

And, while Raul was being his usual facetious self, the afford thing doesn't really come into it as he's on a hefty sum at Cov!

We also have to remember that the money isnt there to get the signings we probably expect. Everyone (myself included) is sat there hoping for Andy Reid or Glenn Whelan, when the Michael Doyles of this world are the only types of players we can afford.

I'm not sat here hoping for anyone. I am sure we have no intention of spending any real money. We will choose possible relegation over real team strengthening.

Doyle's affordability is irrelevant. He is a pointless signing because he replicates the skill set of another player who is already on the books. It's wasting money again.

Edit - FB says it better than me.

It's a points like this where the board actually needs to say "No, you're not spending money on a player we already have a clone of".

I'm genuinely baffled by this signing.

A replacement/competition for Monty?
Do we need such a player?
With have one central midfielders in Williamson and he needs a partner. Personally I don't want that to be monty, monty mkII, or Quinny. I'd like someone that can keep possession of the ball.

If we dont have a ball winner in there we will continue to watch sides play through us. The one we have (Monty) isnt doing to the job well enough at the moment and he doesnt have anyone next to him who can do it either. I would suggest that one of the two signings should be able to do that. I believe Doyle to be a better version of that animal than Monty, so hopefully he can come in and do it instead. The only thing I dont want to see is them playing together.

But who would you play if we signed Reid or Brown? Monty and his clone on the bench or would you move our best central midfielder out to make way?

This deal makes no sense until Monty is leaving, which I doubt.

If we sign Doyle then play either of them with him. Both have an ability to carry the ball and pick a pass. If it was me (and the money was available) I would try to sign Browny only, because he is versatile and you can put him next to almost anyone. Reid is a very nice player but a luxury in the predicament we're in I feel.

Then sign no one and save the money, we don't need another Monty, we have more than enough already. I'd rather a kid get a spot on the bench rather than have two of that type of player.

I dont know if you've noticed Bob but we're up shit creek. If we dont sign at least two players before the end of the window we WILL go down mark my words. If Michael Doyle is all that we can get then Michael Doyle it is. We have to try something.....just dont play him with Monty is all I'm saying, its counter productive.

I dont know if you've noticed Bob but we're up shit creek. If we dont sign at least two players before the end of the window we WILL go down mark my words. If Michael Doyle is all that we can get then Michael Doyle it is. We have to try something.....just dont play him with Monty is all I'm saying, its counter productive.

I don't think we disagree about our predicament but if replacing one of our limited midfielders who earns top side of 12K with another limited midfielder who earns 10K while keeping them both on the books doesn't seem to help us. Especially when we have sold our one ball playing midfielder who was on more than both.
If this was a competing to have the most limited midfielders in the same team then I think it would be a great idea. But keeping Monty, Quinny and bringing in another makes no sense, especially when he is going to hit the wage bill quiet hard.

Signing any player just to get people in is another sure fire way toward relegation the only difference is when you do go down you have 2 shit, high earners who you can't shift and who can't get you back up.

I don't think we disagree about our predicament but if replacing one of our limited midfielders who earns top side of 12K with another limited midfielder who earns 10K while keeping them both on the books doesn't seem to help us. Especially when we have sold our one ball playing midfielder who was on more than both.
If this was a competing to have the most limited midfielders in the same team then I think it would be a great idea. But keeping Monty, Quinny and bringing in another makes no sense, especially when he is going to hit the wage bill quiet hard.

Signing any player just to get people in is another sure fire way toward relegation the only difference is when you do go down you have 2 shit, high earners who you can't shift and who can't get you back up.

Essentially I agree with you. Personally, Michael Doyle wouldnt be the kind of player I would be trying to get in. All I'm saying is, Micky might feel he needs someone in there to make their presence felt and make a nuisance of themselves. He perhaps feels he's not getting that from anyone at the minute (including Monty).

At the end of the day Micky has to bring in what he thinks he needs to give us a chance. If it was me, I would be doing anything possible to bring Michael Brown back.....but if that's not possible then maybe of the options left, he feels Michael Doyle has more of what he needs than anyone else he can get.

I dont see the logic behind it either but I'm not the manager. We have to hope that this is part of a bigger plan and at the end of the day he is better than both Monty and Quinn IMO so it is an improvement to the squad. What else do we have?!

Leeds fan at work really likes him although he says he wasn't too popular amongst their fans.

Says he's very consistent without ever being spectacular and that Leeds were always much harder to beat when he played.

Are you calling Monty shit Bob???

The other way to look at it is - Adams believes the way out of the mess is by winning the battle in midfield. Every time I've been this season we've failed to do so - on our own pitch - and only looked like getting forward once the oppos have retreated to protect their lead. If we stiffen up in there we'll be chasing games less and maybe looking to not lose before looking at winning.

Reid is a luxury we can't afford, which every way you look at it, which depresses me as much as it does everyone else.

Houso - apologise.

I just remembered that Doyle is left footed as well (for what that piece of information is worth). That could give us a little more natural balance in the middle of the park (if nothing else).

The other way to look at it is - Adams believes the way out of the mess is by winning the battle in midfield. Every time I've been this season we've failed to do so - on our own pitch - and only looked like getting forward once the oppos have retreated to protect their lead. If we stiffen up in there we'll be chasing games less and maybe looking to not lose before looking at winning.

I'd agree with that. However, Saturday was the first time this season I've not seen the opposition bossing the midfield completely from the off.
Having said that, if you're simply having midfield destroyers in the centre then you really need some creativity out wide. We haven't got that at all for me.
I thought Monty and Quinn combined better on Saturday than for a long time BUT they were still no more than average if you were comparing them with proper midfield players rather than comparing them with their usual dismal standards.

All I'm saying is, Micky might feel he needs someone in there to make their presence felt and make a nuisance of themselves. He perhaps feels he's not getting that from anyone at the minute (including Monty).

Surely there's another Vinnie Jones out there somewhere (perhaps playing in the Conference?) ;-)

I'd agree with that. However, Saturday was the first time this season I've not seen the opposition bossing the midfield completely from the off.
Having said that, if you're simply having midfield destroyers in the centre then you really need some creativity out wide. We haven't got that at all for me.
I thought Monty and Quinn combined better on Saturday than for a long time BUT they were still no more than average if you were comparing them with proper midfield players rather than comparing them with their usual dismal standards.

I would agree with most of that and Saturday was another example of our lack of natural width. Yeates (IMO) is our only natural wide man. I'm still convinced that Ward is a striker.

We started off well because we were mostly playing up from the back and by-passing midfield which put Norwich on the back foot. I thought we did it very well first half and looked by far the better side.

In the second half Norwich came out with far more purpose and kept more possession which allowed them to keep it on the deck more. As soon as that happened United tailed off a bit for me and we had the inevitable result of the opposition playing through our midfield. Monty and Quinny werent good enough to do anything about it.

Two midfielders are badly required IMO. Willo has a big part to play as well but we have to be careful with him at the moment. He's so susceptible to injury that you might as well put a big colourful sticker on him - "handle with care"

Tomorrow! Tomorrow!
I love ya Tomorrow!
You're always
A day
A way!

:D

New lease of life for Quinny with no breaking up things to do, perhaps?

From 365. I for one am VERY excited...

**Ollessendro groans**

Exactly what we don't need: another useless clogger. His descriptions make hims ounds liek Montuy mark II. So when Williamson gets injured, or is forced to play out wide, then we have Ertl, Quinn, Monty and Monty mark II to choose from.

Know Adams has worked with Doyle before, so perhaps he thinks he can do a job. But why a defensive midfielder who (apparently) can't pass? Again we'll just have to trust Micky, but it doesn't come across as inspiring.

I really do hope that Adams is not going to make this his last signing/loanee :(

Ahh, but if we sign Doyle we can play an entire midfield of Monty's. Imagine the wank fest that would induce.

Ertl (Tall Monty), Quinn (Ginger Monty), Monty (Full Monty) and Doyle (Double Monty). Doesn't even matter which way they line up.

Monty played well on Saturday but I thought we really missed Williamson. I was very disappointed with Wards contribution and general attitude. I though he was particularly ineffective in the second half. I thinlk I would have replaced him with Yeates at half time. Bent and Evans looked handy in the first half.

I suspect the reason that Doyle might be considered by MA is for his leadership qualities. We have nobody in the centre with the balls to gee up the team, no one with a gob on him. Without this we just roll over and let the opposition tickle our belly's. None of Ertl, Monty, Quinn or Willo strike me as players that organise and encourage others as a leader. This is a key ingredient we are missing (probably the only real thing Mr Jones ever contributed) and a key reason why we are not as difficult to beat this season (lost 7 of 13 at home and conceded 23 goals in the process).

So we have Kozzy because he tells good jokes, and Doyle to gee us up. We just need footballers who can play football now.

I suspect the reason that Doyle might be considered by MA is for his leadership qualities. We have nobody in the centre with the balls to gee up the team, no one with a gob on him. .

nail on head kenilworth, can anyone tell me which player/s has stepped up to actually take on Morgs mantel of captain, not just the arm band but actually leading the team.
to be fair monty(real monty) was a fair choice as normally hes determined and long term team member but thats all his leadership qualities are at best nominal, i think mick has decided what we lack is passion ON the pitch, no more of this "good team spirit" bollox, we need a gobby,tough leader inside those white lines and maybe doyle fits that bill.

Edit:
So we have Kozzy because he tells good jokes, and Doyle to gee us up. We just need for footballers who can play football now.
no bob, kozzy there to score good goals too :thumbup:

MunXy

It is so good to see a player beiwng slagged off, even before he has signed for the club. Great motivational work by so many of you. We are in the clag and the best thing is to hammer the clappers, team and any player that has been linked to us.

Adams is no mug and he is working with what has he got, both players and budget. Maybe we should spend a bit more, but we haven't and probably won't - so stop whinging, sniping and criticising and start supporting

There isn't much your moaning will do other than annoy many people who obviously read, but don't comment, on this board.

Back
Top Bottom