new signing tomorrow???

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Wait on, so we can only discuss if it's positive?

Okay then. Me first.

I'm not sure why people are instantly jumping on this. We've been muscled out of the middle of the pitch plenty of occasions this season (many of them by not particularly strong teams), and if it's him & Monty in the middle, so be it. I will be more concerned if this is the only signing, but I suspect it isn't. We absolutely need someone to provide better width than what's on offer, and if Adams thinks the same it's perhaps going to take a bit longer than it is to bring in someone like Doyle for example. People have to get used to seeing what happens after a series of transfer moves, not simply after one or two - Adams isn't going to sign all his targets & announce them all on one day.

What's the issue with two ball-winners in the middle anyway? QPR have played this way consistently this season and it's given a huge amount of freedom to other people on the pitch to play more freely. Taarabt wouldn't have had half as good a season this year had Derry and Faurlin not been the two behind him in the middle of midfield. QPR fans presumably aren't having endless posts about how either of them should be dropped out of the side - and no doubt were either of them signed there would be outrage on this board.

It is so good to see a player beiwng slagged off, even before he has signed for the club. Great motivational work by so many of you. We are in the clag and the best thing is to hammer the clappers, team and any player that has been linked to us.

Adams is no mug and he is working with what has he got, both players and budget. Maybe we should spend a bit more, but we haven't and probably won't - so stop whinging, sniping and criticising and start supporting

There isn't much your moaning will do other than annoy many people who obviously read, but don't comment, on this board.[/QUOTE]

Despite my tongue in cheek suggestion to change the name of the forum to 'North Korean Blades forum' this is a forum and a place for debate. Freedom of speech and OPINION is part of the rules. We like to debate on here. People don't always agree.

You actually go on to contradict yourself. First of all it is 'support the team' and secondly 'it is well they will not see it any way'. Reminds me of the old saying 'if you fall off that wall and break both your legs ... then don't come running to me'.

What do you want fans thast are uninspired by a signing to do? Shut up and put blind faith in Adams making the right choice?

I suspect the reason that Doyle might be considered by MA is for his leadership qualities. We have nobody in the centre with the balls to gee up the team, no one with a gob on him. Without this we just roll over and let the opposition tickle our belly's. None of Ertl, Monty, Quinn or Willo strike me as players that organise and encourage others as a leader. This is a key ingredient we are missing (probably the only real thing Mr Jones ever contributed) and a key reason why we are not as difficult to beat this season (lost 7 of 13 at home and conceded 23 goals in the process).

Interesting point. If he is a leader, as well as being experienced, then this may be why Adams has picked him. We cleaerly need someone to motivate us (as you point out). Interesting post.

It's time for Ertl to stand up and be counted. He was key for Palace in staying up last year. He battled really hardf and was rock solid at RB. I am told (by a Palace season ticket holder) that he is a legend there. Players like him need to show their experience, knuckle down and help pulll us out of this mess.

Ahh, but if we sign Doyle we can play an entire midfield of Monty's. Imagine the wank fest that would induce.

Ertl (Tall Monty), Quinn (Ginger Monty), Monty (Full Monty) and Doyle (Double Monty). Doesn't even matter which way they line up.

perhaps Micky has a cunning plan, confuse them. Can you imagine that midfield? The ball bouncing around everywhere with noone (particularly the Monty brigade) knowing where it is going. The ball bouncing off shins, hitting players, finding a red and white shirt (but not the one aimed at), being lumped about, aimless hoofing, mispassing, ye de da. Opposition midfielders may be dazzled and confused. It worked for Paulo Wanchope!? ;)

Alternatively we could create nothing, give every single ball away that comes to our midfielders, fail to support the attack, give away unceccary free kicks in ddangeerous position, get out played and be completely run over week in week out.

Can you imagine that midfield? The ball bouncing around everywhere with noone (particularly the Monty brigade) knowing where it is going. The ball bouncing off shins, hitting players, finding a red and white shirt (but not the one aimed at), being lumped about, aimless hoofing, mispassing, ye de da. Opposition midfielders may be dazzled and confused. It worked for Paulo Wanchope!? ;)

This made me laugh. Especially with the thought of Nos playing behind them as well.

It is so good to see a player beiwng slagged off, even before he has signed for the club. Great motivational work by so many of you. We are in the clag and the best thing is to hammer the clappers, team and any player that has been linked to us.

Adams is no mug and he is working with what has he got, both players and budget. Maybe we should spend a bit more, but we haven't and probably won't - so stop whinging, sniping and criticising and start supporting

There isn't much your moaning will do other than annoy many people who obviously read, but don't comment, on this board.

I honestly don't think forums with their tendency toward "free speech" are really the place for you.

Supporting is for sticking your money in, going along and getting behind whoever turns up in the stripes and gives 100%. Talking about it, however the fuck you see fit, is for places such a here where it has no effect but lets people share views and ideas about the club/team/match, as happens in the hours after the game in pubs and clubs around the city.

If people have seen the bloke play (and quite a few of us have) then they can and should join the debate. If you are saying he's a potentially great signing then let's here why instead of moaning about other peoples opinions.
Is he good, is he shit? Let us know.

I don't know - I haven't seen him play for us yet! That's my point I will let you know IF and WHEN he does.

My main issue is the negativity towards a signing that hasn't even happened, and may not even happen. As well as slagging off of formations and how the team is going to play before we know what Adams is going to do! Also the constant critism of a few players regardless of performances and what their role in the team is. I feel that a number of players are not performing as they should and will moan about them when they do, but a number of players are being harshly treated even before they play, or when they have had a good game.

I am aware that there are a number of people on here who like to shout loudest and longest, but just because they do it doesn't mean they are right or that the silent majority agrees with them. UTB

There isn't much your moaning will do other than annoy many people who obviously read, but don't comment, on this board.

So we should be happy with any player, even if it points in entirely the opposite direction to what we want to see?

Adams has said he want to play 4-4-2 if that includes two holding players then is isn't like QPR. I'd also like the know where are Routledge and Tarabat are?

We should suck it and see first. Bob Booker didn't come with the greatest of recommendations or track records - Ian Rush did.

QPR Bob. Happy to help.

So we should be happy with any player, even if it points in entirely the opposite direction to what we want to see?

Adams has said he want to play 4-4-2 if that includes two holding players then is isn't like QPR. I'd also like the know where are Routledge and Tarabat are?

Why not wait and see who else is brought in then? The lack of patience on here is, as ever, remarkable.

Why not wait and see who else is brought in then? The lack of patience on here is, as ever, remarkable.

Although I agree with that first suggestion, I dont think a lack of patience is something Sheffield United fans can be labelled with. This club's fans have been more than patient down the years and have had very little in the way of success to show for it.

If ever you wonder why we have such a miserable, glass half empty, down beat bunch of supporters.....have a look at our post-war history and our current position in the league table. Then put it against the size of the city, fan base, stadium and broken promises from down the years. It might then start to become apparent why so many of us get fucked off with things.

UTB

I think SCB makes a great deal of sense on this thread. I realise that is rather like a financial reference from Eric Ilsley and will lose him all credibility for evermore.

I would, however, take issue with the recruitment of Michael Brown. There was no bigger admirer of The Lord than me, but he is in the [late] twilight of his career now and nowhere near the player we once knew. Reid or Whelan should be our targets for the playmaker role alongside Doyle [if it be he!] or Willo. Both are younger, and frankly now better than The Lord.

We should suck it and see first. Bob Booker didn't come with the greatest of recommendations or track records - Ian Rush did.

But that's the whole fun of it. You expect certain things and get something completely different.

There are only 3 types of player.

1. Never seen - no opinion, move on.
2. Seen and liked - and therefore much looking forward to
3. Seen and disliked/didn't rate - Oh shit

Because you only see 2 and 3 fleetingly then there are certain expectations but you can easily be totally wrong about it. The game is about opinions good and bad.
My time watching the Blades is full of players I thought would be great and weren't (Lee Hendrie being the latest), of players I thought would be great and were (Stuart McCall), those who I thought would be shit but were not (Ships) and those who I dreaded seeing in the stripes and were every bit as shite as I thought (Ashley Ward).
It's called speculation and without it forums would be duller than a Mary Whitehouse lecture.

Although I agree with that first suggestion, I dont think a lack of patience is something Sheffield United fans can be labelled with. This club's fans have been more than patient down the years and have had very little in the way of success to show for it.

If ever you wonder why we have such a miserable, glass half empty, down beat bunch of supporters.....have a look at our post-war history and our current position in the league table. Then put it against the size of the city, fan base, stadium and broken promises from down the years. It might then start to become apparent why so many of us get fucked off with things.

UTB

Size of city? Do you mean population or square mileage or both?:)

Doyle and Monty - beyond belief, seriously it has to be a joke doesn't it?

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 PM ----------

But that's the whole fun of it. You expect certain things and get something completely different.

Because you only see 2 and 3 fleetingly then there are certain expectations but you can easily be totally wrong about it. The game is about opinions good and bad.
My time watching the Blades is full of players I thought would be great and weren't (Lee Hendrie being the latest), of players I thought would be great and were (Stuart McCall), those who I thought would be shit but were not (Ships) and those who I dreaded seeing in the stripes and were every bit as shite as I thought (Ashley Ward).
It's called speculation and without it forums would be duller than a Mary Whitehouse lecture.

Speculate - on a forum - steady on. Can't do that - Disorderly has told me plenty of times.

What makes me laff asbout the likes of warrington is that they seem to totally ignore a players past history when talking about a new signing. OK, I haven't seen Doyle but the briefest research would suggest he will hardly ever score or create a goal. Now there is room in football for loads of different types of players but we do not need a non-scoring clogger, in my opinion. Adams gets paid for making the decisions so fair enough, he thinks we do perhaps, but I'll work on basis that Doyle is a crap signing/will be a crap player for us until I see otherise.

whoever comes in,be it doyle,brown or tongey,they will replace who excactley?monty?quinn?if its either of those,thenANYBODY will be an improvement.

I'm not sure why people are instantly jumping on this. We've been muscled out of the middle of the pitch plenty of occasions this season (many of them by not particularly strong teams), and if it's him & Monty in the middle, so be it. I will be more concerned if this is the only signing, but I suspect it isn't. We absolutely need someone to provide better width than what's on offer, and if Adams thinks the same it's perhaps going to take a bit longer than it is to bring in someone like Doyle for example. People have to get used to seeing what happens after a series of transfer moves, not simply after one or two - Adams isn't going to sign all his targets & announce them all on one day.

What's the issue with two ball-winners in the middle anyway? QPR have played this way consistently this season and it's given a huge amount of freedom to other people on the pitch to play more freely. Taarabt wouldn't have had half as good a season this year had Derry and Faurlin not been the two behind him in the middle of midfield. QPR fans presumably aren't having endless posts about how either of them should be dropped out of the side - and no doubt were either of them signed there would be outrage on this board.

I agree. The last time we got promoted out of this division we had two ball winners/battlers (i.e. Jagielka and Montgomery) in the middle and the creativity/pace was out wide and up front (i.e. Ifill, Tonge, Kabba, Webber). There's no hard and fast rule saying you have to a midfield "playmaker". Hopefully Adams will be able to add to the creative options once he's got his experienced leader sorted.

I agree. The last time we got promoted out of this division we had two ball winners/battlers (i.e. Jagielka and Montgomery) in the middle and the creativity/pace was out wide and up front (i.e. Ifill, Tonge, Kabba, Webber). There's no hard and fast rule saying you have to a midfield "playmaker". Hopefully Adams will be able to add to the creative options once he's got his experienced leader sorted.

Quite so. Why would we want such an odd creature? We're Sheffield United. We don't want any of your fancy skills here. Give us a couple of talentless numpties anytime.

We :heart: Hoofing.

I agree, but sometimes it isn't speculation, just moaning and whinging. No "What I've seen of him doesn't fill me with much hope, but I will see how he plays in a red and white shirt" more "Rubbish signing - no good for the team, manager is shocking, match day experience is crap, pies are cold, no under seat heating, why was Monty even born".
I don't mind people disagreeing with my view points and I may be seen as a clapper due to the fact that I can see what players do right, as well as their mistakes, but I can honestly say that I have never said anything negative about a signing made until I have seen them play for us for a few games.

Size of city? Do you mean population or square mileage or both?:)

Doyle and Monty - beyond belief, seriously it has to be a joke doesn't it?

Haha.....all of the above mic :D

I genuinely dont think he will play them together regularly (might at first) but I cant see them playing together week in week out. I tend to think Doyle is here to play the holding role alone, so will be in direct competition with him.

If the intention is to play them together then like yourself, I cant get my head round it. I trust Micky knows what he's doing but if he does opt for the two of them together, dont expect us to be playing through the midfield much.

Well i won't be too fussed if he knocks in these kind of goals:

[video=youtube;_UEJjEd8rRM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UEJjEd8rRM[/video]

Haha.....all of the above mic :D

I genuinely dont think he will play them together regularly (might at first) but I cant see them playing together week in week out. I tend to think Doyle is here to play the holding role alone, so will be in direct competition with him.

So he has been brought in to compete with one of our higher earners for the same role. Given that scenario one player would be paid £10K (give or take) a week to sit on the bench?

Could the signing, (possible) of Doyle mean our Micky doesn't fancy Monty?

Not too dissimilar to the one Calve scored.........doesn't exactly make Calve the first name on the team sheet does it

If he does Monty's job, and chips in with a few goals every so often, would you say it was an improvement?

Cant say im excited about this signing........

Sure he may be experienced. But isnt Monty?

Were crying out for some pace & creativity in midfield and a defensive general to marshall the defence and we could potentially be signing someone to compete with Monty for the holding role...... jesus wept.

Given that we're picking up Doyle on a free, wouldn't moving on Monty for a fee constitute a fantastic piece of business?

Back
Top Bottom