New regulator

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Might be the the wrong thread, but affects lots of aspects of our game. So kind of should be here.

Lots of things in there which sound good but it remains to be seen whether the regulator will be given the teeth to enforce any of that.

Also very much enjoyed David Sullivan arguing against the regulator by making the case for why the regulator is needed.

My instinct tells me this is potentially a good thing that could mean nothing in reality. The fact that this Government has implemented it means I'm sceptical that it'll have any meaningful power. However, in principle, if the regulator actually have the ability to shape things, then it can only be a good step forward.

Last edited:
Hard to say what impact it'll have.

Sidenote - government intervention rarely ends well for football authorities. Countries can be suspended from FIFA for it. Obviously not for basic regulation, but that's never the plan anyway. The further it goes, the murkier it gets.

It won't be long before they get well and truly into the spirit of the modern game, by busting the Civil Service salary ranges that they are, for now at least, supposed to operate within.

Hard to say what impact it'll have.

Sidenote - government intervention rarely ends well for football authorities. Countries can be suspended from FIFA for it. Obviously not for basic regulation, but that's never the plan anyway. The further it goes, the murkier it gets.
This is true, but the Regulator will be independent of Government which should be enough to keep FIFA from the door.

Although I expect the PL to run this argument in some form of court proceedings.

Their aint no way the PL will accept a regulator that will tell teams how much of their money they have to give up to the EFL

And how independent will it be? Who will run it? I noticed it said that it will tighten up on change of ownership test, that is us screwed then as our owner couldnt find a boney-fide law abidding candidate if one walked up to him and slapped him with toilet paper.

The only benefit I can see is if they rattle the big clubs cages enough they might join a European Super League, which I was against a few years ago but would love to see the back of them now.
Yeah, when the idea was first floated I thought it was a shit idea. Having seen the way the PL has developed in the last 3-4 years, it's the only way to ensure the 'other 15' in the top league have something to fight for. Let the Mega Money, VAR Riddled 'Super Clubs' go to their own league and let the rest of the Pyramid sort itself out.

knowing our luck they will scrap parachute payments at the end of the season :(

It would probably be phased out rather than just stopped. Would actually make relegated clubs even more financially in the doo doo.

I honestly think the best things would be for the top 6 clubs to walk out and form their own shitty league along with the likes of PSG, Milan etc. the. Bar them from any domestic competitions.

It's what they want. Just let them do it.
Then we can reform the league structure.

The only benefit I can see is if they rattle the big clubs cages enough they might join a European Super League, which I was against a few years ago but would love to see the back of them now.
Ah but one of the new regulators roles will be to issue "licences" which will stipulate that they cannot join a break away league.....

Bar them from any domestic competitions.

It's what they want. Just let them do it.
Then we can reform the league structure.

I see your point, but it would be a shite state of affairs if the big traditional clubs are no longer fighting for the FA Cup. How about the Super League clubs have to also have a U23 team in the pyramid as well? Let them play, trade players etc, but the U23 rules persist.

The "big clubs" weren't going to leave the Premier League though. They were just going to casually win Premier League games with their 60 player squads, but save the superstars for midweek SUPER LEAGUE clashes.

We already have the FA who is the regulatory body. Looks like the EFL are unhappy with the FA for being "too soft" to the PL?

i did see david sullivan talking about "wrecking something that works" & thought he cant be talking about English football. as we are the titanic & everyone ignoring the iceberg we are heading towards. we have PL teams in hundreds of millions of debt & state run teams where its almost impossible to compete even as a midtable premier league time. championship sides spending 110% of their income on wages, losing 20m a yr to get to premier league & League 1/League 2 getting poorer by the season

i thought FFP is a good idea in a way to make sure that you don't have a Portsmouth situation again. where a team nearly goes bust for spending way above there means & then owner pulls out

I see your point, but it would be a shite state of affairs if the big traditional clubs are no longer fighting for the FA Cup. How about the Super League clubs have to also have a U23 team in the pyramid as well? Let them play, trade players etc, but the U23 rules persist.

No I don't agree with that. Reason being it just encourages stock piling of players. Any player that really starts to shine at academy level is pretty much always pinched by the bigger clubs or if one slips through the net then they just drop £50/60 million on them (Phillips, grealish, etc) and then they end up benched.

Not to also think that it also devalues the competition. Pretty much means domestic comps are feeder comps for the big 6.

A regulator who is part of the government 🤔 how long before said regulator is enjoying holidays and flights abroad paid for by certain clubs?
It is a get rich scheme for a "impartial" glorified civil servant.

No I don't agree with that. Reason being it just encourages stock piling of players. Any player that really starts to shine at academy level is pretty much always pinched by the bigger clubs or if one slips through the net then they just drop £50/60 million on them (Phillips, grealish, etc) and then they end up benched.

Not to also think that it also devalues the competition. Pretty much means domestic comps are feeder comps for the big 6.
Yeah, l did wonder about the stockpiling issue. I'm sure there could be a rule, something like the U23 AKA Professional Academy (PA....) teams can only field homegrown players - players signed into academies at a young age - that have X number of years at their academy, or something. It's an issue for sure and I'm sure there are better minds than mine that have ideas.

i did see david sullivan talking about "wrecking something that works" & thought he cant be talking about English football. as we are the titanic & everyone ignoring the iceberg we are heading towards. we have PL teams in hundreds of millions of debt & state run teams where its almost impossible to compete even as a midtable premier league time. championship sides spending 110% of their income on wages, losing 20m a yr to get to premier league & League 1/League 2 getting poorer by the season

i thought FFP is a good idea in a way to make sure that you don't have a Portsmouth situation again. where a team nearly goes bust for spending way above there means & then owner pulls out
For the relative sizes of the businesses of football league clubs, I'd say the actual failure rate is tiny in comparison to other industries. It's not at all clear to me why we need a regulator.

A big focus seems to be on the sharing out of money down the pyramid. All that will happen is inflation of players wages. There's ample money in football if the players weren't paid so much.

For the relative sizes of the businesses of football league clubs, I'd say the actual failure rate is tiny in comparison to other industries.

If the average Football League club was a business in any other industry, you'd probably find half of them would liquidate every year. In what other field would you have a CEO of someone in the financial position of, say, Wednesday, and not immediately think "this isn't a going concern" and shut up shop?

If the average Football League club was a business in any other industry, you'd probably find half of them would liquidate every year. In what other field would you have a CEO of someone in the financial position of, say, Wednesday, and not immediately think "this isn't a going concern" and shut up shop?
But that's not happening, so what's the problem that they're trying to control with a regulator?

For the relative sizes of the businesses of football league clubs, I'd say the actual failure rate is tiny in comparison to other industries. It's not at all clear to me why we need a regulator.

A big focus seems to be on the sharing out of money down the pyramid. All that will happen is inflation of players wages. There's ample money in football if the players weren't paid so much.
but only because there is always someone willing to buy it. any other company that was losing 10m a month would be liquidated within 6 months

but only because there is always someone willing to buy it. any other company that was losing 10m a month would be liquidated within 6 months
But, leaving it to itself, the problem is sorted out. Who knows why someone is always prepared to step in, but they do (without a regulator). So again, what's the problem they're trying to tackle?

Back
Top Bottom