NEW: John Brayford Interview

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Great interview with a really likeable bloke.

I bumped into him in the Rising Sun when he was in a cast and recovering. Lovely bloke, happy to chat and it was very plain he loved the club and the city so GLTTL.

Be great f you could keep interviews of this quality going and thanks again for the effort of setting it up.
This is the 12th in our serious, we have already recorded 3 more and lined up another 5. Glad you enjoyed it.

"He's not any full back... he's John Brayford"

This was a really enjoyable interview.

For my part, I'd add several points

• The JB transfer fee was £2 Million.
  • The decision to acquire JB was the gaffer's plus front office management.
  • As a board, we left the footballing decisions to management and involved ourselves in transfer business, only when management was over budget or out of spec (regarding, for example, the approved wage scale or wage bill).
  • In the Autumn of the preceding year, the board had approved letting management use the proceeds of player sales for player acquisitions. They did that in this case.
  • I was delighted they did at the time and was supportive. For my part, I never substituted my judgment about football for that of our gaffer's. I was always in support so long as the gaffer and front office were at one a decision.
  • If I could go back and do it over, would I do it again? Yes. Why? You hire top football professionals to make football decisions. (This does not mean they always get it right -- in those times, I thought we seemed perpetually and strangely both over- and under-staffed. We suffered from persistently unresolved spine problems over multiple seasons and through multiple management teams.)
  • As he mentioned in the interview, John took a big pay cut to return to SUFC. What a guy! So pure. You could tell what playing for us meant to him. You could feel the pure joy in him has flew down that right side. I have nothing but admiration for John.
  • As it happened (for team personnel and injury reasons), after John returned, he was mostly played out of position until he himself was injured.
  • I think John's read about all that followed Nigel Clough is so insightful.

Thanks, Hal and Nick, for doing these great, great pieces. Gives us all a perspective it's hard to come by.

• As a board, we left the footballing decisions to management and involved ourselves in transfer business, only when management was over budget or out of spec (regarding, for example, the approved wage scale or wage bill).
  • In the Autumn of the preceding year, the board had approved letting management use the proceeds of player sales for player acquisitions. They did that in this case.
  • I was delighted they did at the time and was supportive. For my part, I never substituted my judgment about football for that of our gaffer's. I was always in support so long as the gaffer and front office were at one a decision.
  • If I could go back and do it over, would I do it again? Yes. Why? You hire top football professionals to make football decisions. (This does not mean they always get it right -- in those times, I thought we seemed perpetually and strangely both over- and under-staffed. We suffered from persistently unresolved spine problems over multiple seasons and through multiple management teams.)
  • As he mentioned in the interview, John took a big pay cut to return to SUFC. What a guy! So pure. You could tell what playing for us meant to him. You could feel the pure joy in him has flew down that right side. I have nothing but admiration for John.
  • As it happened (for team personnel and injury reasons), after John returned, he was mostly played out of position until he himself was injured.

Thanks, Hal and Nick, for doing these great, great pieces. Gives us all a perspective it's hard to come by.

That's a great insight Jim, really appreciate you sharing that and for being so supportive of all we have done on the Sheff United Way. You're absolutely right about John being a great guy who clearly cared about SUFC that really came across when we spoke to him, we both liked him immensley. I wish it had worked out differently at the Lane when JB signed permanently. He would have been a fans favourite for years.

Excellent job by the way once more YorkBlade and Nick.

It was like watching you chat with one of your mates. He was very candid and friendly as an interviewee. Easy to understand why you'd want him in the dressing room. Very mature and positive attitude.

That's a great insight Jim, really appreciate you sharing that and for being so supportive of all we have done on the Sheff United Way. You're absolutely right about John being a great guy who clearly cared about SUFC that really came across when we spoke to him, we both liked him immensley. I wish it had worked out differently at the Lane when JB signed permanently. He would have been a fans favourite for years.

I reckon JimPhipps could make for an interesting episode. Specifically some insight into:

• What about Sheffield United attracted Prince/Jim/Selahattin etc.
  • Impression of Sheffield culture (good & bad)
  • How did the fans engagement go (e.g. meeting fans for a beer off twitter)
  • Best & Worst moments.
  • Future of the club

Not prying by may means Jim, but it must be very difficult to legislate for things like personality clashes and player fallouts.

As you say, the spine of the team didn't really get addressed until Chris bought in O'Connell and Wright.

Losing Maguire was inevitable but Clough reportedly falling out with both Collins and Butler, Maguire's defacto replacement, really did upset the balance of the team.

As JB said, a few more matches and that team would have gone up. So Nigel then taking a sledgehammer to it made for a bit of a mess of a preseason with players like Alcock and Wallace coming in who were not really fit for purpose, especially with the latter's injury record.

I'm far more, if given the choice, a fan of lower player churn for continuity and lower wastage on agent fees. But to me it was 1.replace Maguire 2. Replace Coady 3. Carry on.

It must be very frustrating as Chairman to see the Management and Front Office making questionable decisions yet within financial parameters and not interfere. As you say they are the experts but as only 3 go up, 21 fail! For every one of these 'experts' that win games, there's one that loses!

Not prying by may means Jim, but it must be very difficult to legislate for things like personality clashes and player fallouts.

As you say, the spine of the team didn't really get addressed until Chris bought in O'Connell and Wright.

Losing Maguire was inevitable but Clough reportedly falling out with both Collins and Butler, Maguire's defacto replacement, really did upset the balance of the team.

As JB said, a few more matches and that team would have gone up. So Nigel then taking a sledgehammer to it made for a bit of a mess of a preseason with players like Alcock and Wallace coming in who were not really fit for purpose, especially with the latter's injury record.

I'm far more, if given the choice, a fan of lower player churn for continuity and lower wastage on agent fees. But to me it was 1.replace Maguire 2. Replace Coady 3. Carry on.

It must be very frustrating as Chairman to see the Management and Front Office making questionable decisions yet within financial parameters and not interfere. As you say they are the experts but as only 3 go up, 21 fail! For every one of these 'experts' that win games, there's one that loses!
You're right about so much here, Champagneblade.

Giving management too much leash can bring problems; managers frequently feel forced into making short term decisions, because of their usually quite short tenures. At the end of the day, managers do not have to pick up the financial pieces, when it all goes patas para arriba. The owner does. So, there is a good case for a less lazzie faire approach by the board.

For example, the head count amongst our players grew too high during my tenure (at one point, we had ~46 players available for match-day selection ... which was beyond bonkers and a morale killer). We could have and probably should have held the reigns tighter. We erred on the side of allowing management wide discretion within the agreed parameters.

Last edited:
You're right about so much here, Champagneblade.

Giving management too much leash can bring problems; managers frequently feel forced into making short term decisions, because of their usually quite short tenures. At the end of the day, managers do not have to pick up the financial pieces, when it all goes patas para arriba. The owner does. So their is a good case for a less lazzie faire approach by the board.

For example, the head count amongst our players grew too high during my tenure (at one point, we had ~46 players available for match-day selection ... which was beyond bonkers and a morale killer). We could have and probably should have held the reigns tighter. We erred on the side of allowing management wide discretion within the agreed parameters.
Great insight, you should really post on here more often - it’s always good to hear some of the inner goings on at a football club and the reality of day to day operations…something that remains a relative dark art for us mere outsiders!

I think that is also a reason why Adkins struggled, the turnover of players.

But the problem with Nige2 was getting rid of shite and consolidating it with overpaid shite.

But the problem with Nige2 was getting rid of shite and consolidating it with overpaid shi

But the problem with Nige2 was getting rid of shite and consolidating it with overpaid shite.

The need N2 faced to cut the squad down to size was one thing that contributed to Nw's failure. Heavy lift that. Takes time given contracts and financial/other constraints.

JB described a Sheffield fit issue well in the interview with Nick and Hal; so, no need to go into that as a contributor to N2's run and the negativity it generated.

Behind the scenes, I still wanted us to fix the spine issue and to build a proper defense, while my co-c was saying essentially, you've got all you need, spend ought. I was so frustrated after N2's JTW with us, in which management did not address the obvious problems. I probably said too much aloud about it when the window closed. The split messages from the boardroom cannot have helped N2.

Great insight, you should really post on here more often - it’s always good to hear some of the inner goings on at a football club and the reality of day to day operations…something that remains a relative dark art for us mere outsiders!
Thanks! Probably best if I continue following along and learning. 😉

It's always nice to hear from you on here Jim.

Hope you are keeping well.

UTB!!!

Would have been the sensible plan: "1.replace Maguire 2. Replace Coady 3. Carry on."

The need N2 faced to cut the squad down to size was one thing that contributed to Nw's failure. Heavy lift that. Takes time given contracts and financial/other constraints.

JB described a Sheffield fit issue well in the interview with Nick and Hal; so, no need to go into that as a contributor to N2's run and the negativity it generated.

Behind the scenes, I still wanted us to fix the spine issue and to build a proper defense, while my co-c was saying essentially, you've got all you need, spend ought. I was so frustrated after N2's JTW with us, in which management did not address the obvious problems. I probably said too much aloud about it when the window closed. The split messages from the boardroom cannot have helped N2.

One of the biggest frustrations over the course of both Nige tenures was that we missed so many opportunities to bring in players that were obviously perfect for us (and within budget).

During our prolonged stay in L1 we saw teams visit Bramall Lane with players that were ideal for us, in positions we were weak in, stand out and still go unnoticed. From memory; Erhan Oztumer @ P'Boro, Ryan Woods @ Shrewsbury, Sam Winnall @ Scunthorpe. It was frustrating to see clubs around us pick up these players while we were going after wage stealers just because they had Championship experience on their CV.

Wilder came in and immediately addressed this problem by signing Duffy, Fleck & JOC. What both Niges couldn't do in months and years, Wilder did in days and weeks.

Wilder came in and immediately addressed this problem by signing Duffy, Fleck & JOC. What both Niges couldn't do in months and years, Wilder did in days and weeks.
Don't forget Shakey Jakey Wright! Class bloke, leader and just what we had needed. Glaring. Also we had been a soft touch at the back with no proper centre backs so Wilder brings in the absolute unit that was/is EEL. So much good transfer activity around that time.

Belated comment but just caught up properly on the Brayford & Woolford interviews, and also watched the Dean Hammond one too a while back.

Just wanted to say YorkBlade that these are great interviews. I like that you're speaking with players who weren't necessarily part of successful United teams. As enjoyable as it is to hear from players who have shared in great games and times with us, it's fascinating to get the 'other side' of the story so to speak from those who had a tough time at the Lane. Can tell you've got broadcasting experience, you're a really good interviewer.

One thing that stands out for me is that both in the case of DH and MW, there was a genuine desire to do well in their interviews. Now of course, I don't know that for sure, I'm not in their heads to verify but I found them both pretty convincing/genuine. Reason I bring that up is the almost default reactions of football fans (not just United) to blame a bad spell of form or terrible season on a lack of caring or effort. I reckon that's actually the exception rather than the rule (players really not caring). Professional football is extremely competitive and ever evolving and having a bad season doesn't automatically mean that the team on the pitch didn't care or didn't try. I think our squad from last season is a case in point. Very bad season, probably several factors at play, but I don't believe the players we have here are shirkers or lazy. In the case of those that have been here a while in particular, I think we've seen more than enough to show how good a set of professionals they are. They deserve a shot next season to compete for their place and come back strong.

Here's hoping next season is the fresh start a few of them need to get going again.

Belated comment but just caught up properly on the Brayford & Woolford interviews, and also watched the Dean Hammond one too a while back.

Just wanted to say YorkBlade that these are great interviews. I like that you're speaking with players who weren't necessarily part of successful United teams. As enjoyable as it is to hear from players who have shared in great games and times with us, it's fascinating to get the 'other side' of the story so to speak from those who had a tough time at the Lane. Can tell you've got broadcasting experience, you're a really good interviewer.

One thing that stands out for me is that both in the case of DH and MW, there was a genuine desire to do well in their interviews. Now of course, I don't know that for sure, I'm not in their heads to verify but I found them both pretty convincing/genuine. Reason I bring that up is the almost default reactions of football fans (not just United) to blame a bad spell of form or terrible season on a lack of caring or effort. I reckon that's actually the exception rather than the rule (players really not caring). Professional football is extremely competitive and ever evolving and having a bad season doesn't automatically mean that the team on the pitch didn't care or didn't try. I think our squad from last season is a case in point. Very bad season, probably several factors at play, but I don't believe the players we have here are shirkers or lazy. In the case of those that have been here a while in particular, I think we've seen more than enough to show how good a set of professionals they are. They deserve a shot next season to compete for their place and come back strong.

Here's hoping next season is the fresh start a few of them need to get going again.

Thank you very much for watching and for the feedback, I hope you'll check out more stuff on the channel, I put a lot of work into it.

I agree about the fact that players probably do always try and probably do always want to do really well. It's a silly comparison but I'd want to be successful if I was playing for the Blades but I'm very bad at football and the fans would quickly turn on me and think I wasn't trying when that couldn't be further from the truth. I do think some players have legitimate reasons for poor performances and some just aren't good enough, that doesn't make them bad people, as these interviews have found.

It was a conscious decision on my part to start speaking to those less successful at the Lane, I personally find these much more interesting. Coming next is (in my opinion) the best one yet with Christian Nade. He's a character!

Would have been the sensible plan: "1.replace Maguire 2. Replace Coady 3. Carry on."

4. Replace Bradford whose loan had also ended

Replacing two future England internationals and a Championship quality full back was always going to be a big ask on a League One budget.

Last edited:
I'm going to stick my neck out and say the Brayford signing, even to me at the time, was unnecessary. I wasn't against it because it was a lift to welcome him 'home' but for footballing reasons it was unnecessary.

For years before my observation was that Ryan Flynn was better suited at RB then RM. His height would've been a vulnerability but he was athletic, tenacious and good at covering both sides down the right side. Wilson, Weir and Clough season 1 missed this until injuries meant we had to drop him into RB for a spell. It was a perfect match and he looked like he was making the position his own until Bradford returned.

Thank you very much for watching and for the feedback, I hope you'll check out more stuff on the channel, I put a lot of work into it.

I agree about the fact that players probably do always try and probably do always want to do really well. It's a silly comparison but I'd want to be successful if I was playing for the Blades but I'm very bad at football and the fans would quickly turn on me and think I wasn't trying when that couldn't be further from the truth. I do think some players have legitimate reasons for poor performances and some just aren't good enough, that doesn't make them bad people, as these interviews have found.

It was a conscious decision on my part to start speaking to those less successful at the Lane, I personally find these much more interesting. Coming next is (in my opinion) the best one yet with Christian Nade. He's a character!
How long will you leave it before you dare to do a Lunny interview?

One of the biggest frustrations over the course of both Nige tenures was that we missed so many opportunities to bring in players that were obviously perfect for us (and within budget).

During our prolonged stay in L1 we saw teams visit Bramall Lane with players that were ideal for us, in positions we were weak in, stand out and still go unnoticed. From memory; Erhan Oztumer @ P'Boro, Ryan Woods @ Shrewsbury, Sam Winnall @ Scunthorpe. It was frustrating to see clubs around us pick up these players while we were going after wage stealers just because they had Championship experience on their CV.

I've often thought the same regarding players we haven't signed. Ivan Toney. Why didn't Wilder go for him. Even before he went to Brentford. He even played for Wilder at Northampton!
I've just looked him up and he actually had loans for six clubs up til 2018, when he then scored 40 goals in 76 appearances for Peterborough. He seemed to come good in 2018 but surely we could have beat Brentford to his signature...

Seeing as we had loads of full backs at the time and no central defenders it would have been better spending that dough on at least two centre halves instead!
If you listen to the interview in full we should of played as central defender

I've often thought the same regarding players we haven't signed. Ivan Toney. Why didn't Wilder go for him. Even before he went to Brentford. He even played for Wilder at Northampton!
I've just looked him up and he actually had loans for six clubs up til 2018, when he then scored 40 goals in 76 appearances for Peterborough. He seemed to come good in 2018 but surely we could have beat Brentford to his signature...

I think we tried with Toney last summer, but he chose Brentford over us. Whether that was wages, first team football on offer, who knows, but he was certainly on the radar.

The thing was with Clough literally was hitting the brief of a mid-table Premiership side in League one. Getting to the FA Cup and League Cup semis 2 years running was impressive and where you expect an Everton or similar to be. But finishing 7th and that playoff against Swindon wasn't. Although I still have the tshirt of the beard from S24SU forum and that moment against Charlton will stick with me for ages!

Beardmania is a weird phase I look back on with a mixture of fondness and mild embarrassment, like the summer I was into drum n bass. It shows how hard up we were as fans that we built a cult around extravagant facial topiary.

Beardmania is a weird phase I look back on with a mixture of fondness and mild embarrassment, like the summer I was into drum n bass. It shows how hard up we were as fans that we built a cult around extravagant facial topiary.

It was great, that jump and photo after scoring against Charlton is in the blades history forever.

Back
Top Bottom