New head scout - Jamie Hoyland

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

If our new head scout was Manchester Cities European scouting manager I bet we would all be over the moon.

Until we found that he is non other than John Gannon, with all the Bladey Blade non-sense that would bring.

Gannon left for Sheffield United thereby joining his former Wimbledon boss Dave Bassett, initially on loan during the 1988/1989 season, before signing permanently on a free transfer for the start of the 1989/90 season. Gannon was particularly strong with his left foot and also took corners and free kicks, setting up goals regularly during Gannons time at United. Gannon was part of the Sheffield United team that achieved two successive promotions and was a regular player in the old First Division for the Blades.[3]

Then we could find something else to be negative about.
Not sure you needed to explain who John Gannon the footballer was mate 😆
Think the explanation of him being Cities scout would have been better time spent.

Hope there is more people joining the recruiting dept. Not just old blades players, some new blood please!

Let go from his role at basket case Everton whose recruitment for the last few years has been pathetic, straight in as head for us.

Ex blade, friend of the manager, I’ve heard this story before.
Tbf I’d take a Branthwaite, Garner, Mykolenko and Beto over some of the players we’ve had in recent seasons 😂

I sincerely hope that Jamie Hoyland does well in his role as our new Head Scout .

I also hope that in that role , he will be discounting any players who have a propensity for taking little or no part in the game for sometimes lengthy periods , as he himself did as a player .

In this respect , he never achieved Paul Thirwell levels of none involvement (who could ?) but often came quite close, being the exact opposite of his father Tommy who gave every ounce of his energy and commitment to the cause for 90 minutes in every game I saw him play .

Had Jamie possessed those same attributes , he could have been a seriously good footballer but
the old timers didn’t coin the phrase ‘Hoyland’s oyle’ for no good reason .

Hoyland can't be any worse than our last head scout, but I won't hold my breath

I sincerely hope that Jamie Hoyland does well in his role as our new Head Scout .

I also hope that in that role , he will be discounting any players who have a propensity for taking little or no part in the game for sometimes lengthy periods , as he himself did as a player .

In this respect , he never achieved Paul Thirwell levels of none involvement (who could ?) but often came quite close, being the exact opposite of his father Tommy who gave every ounce of his energy and commitment to the cause for 90 minutes in every game I saw him play .

Had Jamie possessed those same attributes , he could have been a seriously good footballer but
Really? I was too young to know if Hoyland was good. At that age I assumed everybody on the team was. Also barely saw us play in those days, mostly Ceefax.

Who are the players Jamie Hoyland previously brought into the club?
I found him on Twitter and he seems to be getting credit for Branthwaite. But it’s obviously hard to tell …who are the managers players? Who did the board say no too? Who did he like that went onto play non league etc.

I believe it’s a group effort usually, Everton obviously search abroad but we have 92 teams to look at realistically. After last season I cannot see us going too far abroad. Should be straight forward.

Really? I was too young to know if Hoyland was good. At that age I assumed everybody on the team was. Also barely saw us play in those days, mostly Ceefax.
Was constantly referred to as 'The Ghost' when we went to games as you neve saw him...

Does a Head of Recruitment sit above Hoyland or is he going to be HOR and “Chief Scout” is the old fashioned title? Seems strange to bring in someone in a key position who would report to the incoming HOR unless he’s been lined up with their blessing.
There isn't going to be a Head of Recruitment?

Hoyland can't be any worse than our last head scout, but I won't hold my breath
Our last 'Head scout' oversaw his role when we signed JOC, Duffy, EEL, Jake Wright, Leon Clarke, Fleck, Baldock, Stevens, Dudzy, Stearman, Lundstram, Norwood, Egan, Henderson, Madine and others, all for less than the money received from Bournemouth for David Brooks.

The disrespect he gets on here is frankly pathetic. Even over the last 3 seasons he was personally influential in getting MGW, McAtee and Doyle

Our last 'Head scout' oversaw his role when we signed JOC, Duffy, EEL, Jake Wright, Leon Clarke, Fleck, Baldock, Stevens, Dudzy, Stearman, Lundstram, Norwood, Egan, Henderson, Madine and others, all for less than the money received from Bournemouth for David Brooks.

The disrespect he gets on here is frankly pathetic. Even over the last 3 seasons he was personally influential in getting MGW, McAtee and Doyle
Perhaps you could list all of the shit signings as well, just for balance.

From 16/17 to Jan 19 it was the best value for money run of Recruitment I've seen anywhere. 1,000+ quality United performances across 3 seasons for £0 net transfer spend and about £85m in staffing costs. You want to make snide comments about that run, cool. Even Evans and Leonard were sold for profit.

Also, you think he had to 'suggest' the 19/20 summer signings to anyone? We signed players who'd played well against United and Mousset.

From 16/17 to Jan 19 it was the best value for money run of Recruitment I've seen anywhere. 1,000+ quality United performances across 3 seasons for £0 net transfer spend and about £85m in staffing costs. You want to make snide comments about that run, cool. Even Evans and Leonard were sold for profit.

Also, you think he had to 'suggest' the 19/20 summer signings to anyone? We signed players who'd played well against United and Mousset.
I'll take that as you're not doing a list then.

Brewster
Holmes
Leonard
Carruthers
Hussey
Lavery
Evans (debatably given McCabe’s involvement)
Thomas
Heneghan
Bryan
Freeman
Robinson
Morrison
Rodwell
Burke

I’d argue his only high profile mistakes were Brewster with the caveat that we also made a big mistake on his medical it seems as well and Freeman and Robinson

Brewster
Holmes
Leonard
Carruthers
Hussey
Lavery
Thomas
Heneghan
Bryan
Freeman
Robinson
Morrison
Rodwell
Burke

I’d argue his only high profile mistakes were Brewster with the caveat that we also made a big mistake on his medical it seems as well and Freeman and Robinson
15 on each list would say our recruitment has been average overall

Brewster
Holmes
Leonard
Carruthers
Hussey
Lavery
Thomas
Heneghan
Bryan
Freeman
Robinson
Morrison
Rodwell
Burke

Brewster is the big failure by everyone at the club. Desperation and refusal to acknowledge much deeper problems with the team led to a panic buy of a kid with 23 senior appearances. It's still holding the club back now.

From that list, Carruthers, Lavery, Bryan at least had moments of decent contributions. Freeman and Robinson were signed based on performances from18 months ago, poor planning. Rodwell, Burke, Morrison were all Wilder flexes on his "I can fix anyone" thing. By that point, whatever plans they'd used previously seem to have gone out if the window and it all got very sloppy

Having seen his under the cosh interview, my takeaway is that he is about as old school as it possibly gets, and while appearances can be deceptive, I am not holding my breath for a transition to data/analytics any time soon.

If our new head scout was Manchester Cities European scouting manager I bet we would all be over the moon.

Until we found that he is non other than John Gannon, with all the Bladey Blade non-sense that would bring.

Gannon left for Sheffield United thereby joining his former Wimbledon boss Dave Bassett, initially on loan during the 1988/1989 season, before signing permanently on a free transfer for the start of the 1989/90 season. Gannon was particularly strong with his left foot and also took corners and free kicks, setting up goals regularly during Gannons time at United. Gannon was part of the Sheffield United team that achieved two successive promotions and was a regular player in the old First Division for the Blades.[3]

Then we could find something else to be negative about.
We could add Brentford's scout in Germany 😉

Back
Top Bottom