New head scout - Jamie Hoyland

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Home run hits under Mitchell.

Duffy
Fleck
O’Connell
Wright (signed for nothing a lynchpin of the defence that started it all)
Clarke (low cost signing that really helped solidify us in the championship)
Baldock
Stevens
Lundstram (crucial cog in the best United side I’ve ever seen. Tainted by his later antics and his exit but he was a great player)
Egan
Didzy
Norwood
Henderson
MGW
McAtee
Doyle

Good signings under Mitchell

Hanson
Lafferty
Moore
Stearman
EEL
Donaldson
Lee Evans
Cranie
Madine
JLT
Wes
Rammers
B. Davies
Hourihane

Middle of the road signings under Mitchell.
Blackman
Washington
Dowell
Osborn
Hogan
Mousset (his decline keeping him from being ranked higher)
Lowe
Bogle
Clark

That’s some going. Yes the current side is in a state but I’m not sure it’s necessarily been down to bad recruitment more that the volume of players we’ve signed each year has steadily declined and therefore each player that isn’t a hit hurts us more than it did before.

Last edited:

Brewster is the big failure by everyone at the club. Desperation and refusal to acknowledge much deeper problems with the team led to a panic buy of a kid with 23 senior appearances. It's still holding the club back now.

From that list, Carruthers, Lavery, Bryan at least had moments of decent contributions. Freeman and Robinson were signed based on performances from18 months ago, poor planning. Rodwell, Burke, Morrison were all Wilder flexes on his "I can fix anyone" thing. By that point, whatever plans they'd used previously seem to have gone out if the window and it all got very sloppy
Having looked at it it’s my opinion that Mitchell had a very solid hit rate on players with a real golden patch where he was pulling outstanding players out of the hat on a regular basis. But not surprisingly as the volume of players we’ve signed has declined so has the hit rate and with less players coming through the door every miss has a greater impact. We need another period like 2016-2018 I really hope we get it.

Having looked at it it’s my opinion that Mitchell had a very solid hit rate on players with a real golden patch where he was pulling outstanding players out of the hat on a regular basis. But not surprisingly as the volume of players we’ve signed has declined so has the hit rate and with less players coming through the door every miss has a greater impact. We need another period like 2016-2018 I really hope we get it.
Also most of his hits were in league 1 and championship. In the premier league when we couldn't afford too many misses things went badly wrong.

15 on each list would say our recruitment has been average overall

I honestly think some people have just forgotten what the team was like before Wilder got hold and reshaped it.

We were mid table league one and have had 3 promotions two to the premier league and 3 years in the premier League.

That suggests over all since the recruitment came in a great job was done! There's clearly limits as to how high it could keep us but how much of that is budget is still up for debate... although I am pretty sure the majority of it is budget

Also most of his hits were in league 1 and championship. In the premier league when we couldn't afford too many misses things went badly wrong.
Things did go badly wrong in the prem but that’s also around the time the volume of players coming through the door decreased. It’s incredibly unlikely borderline impossible that the new set up won’t have some big misses as well even if they are also very successful and I hope they are. He did a good job whilst here in my opinion and was a vital part of the staff that took us out of the doldrums and catapulted us towards our best league finish in the modern era.

I’m not saying it wasn’t time for a change the proof of that will be in the pudding but he did a very good job here and I hope he doesn’t pop up at any clubs who are likely to be our rivals in the next few years.

An equal measure of good and poor signings is surely the definition of average. And including Lundstram, who had 6 good months, in your good signings is a stretch.
Deary, deary me

Definitely need some more luck and a return to the clearer headed thinking that was prevalent before PL promotion.

I just have no idea what the plan is now tbh. What sort of players do they want etc

Definitely need some more luck and a return to the clearer headed thinking that was prevalent before PL promotion.

I just have no idea what the plan is now tbh. What sort of players do they want etc
Hopefully Hoyland will be announced soon alongside whatever the new structure for the recruitment department will be given they’ve talked about a wider restructuring rather than just replacing Mitchell.

In terms of players they’re looking for I guess we won’t find out what the blueprint is until the summer but Wilder talking about the importance of the upcoming window suggests to me they are looking at build a foundation for the squad which is what’s needed.

Oh dear exactly like I said still stuck in the 90's.
What's this"Culture" arguably being the worst side ever too play in the Premiership.
There will be no other Premiership side thinking like this and I doubt any football League side will either.

Having seen his under the cosh interview, my takeaway is that he is about as old school as it possibly gets, and while appearances can be deceptive, I am not holding my breath for a transition to data/analytics any time soon.
It's a certainty he will know more about data /analytics than your average joe on here . laughable really

Promoted from L1 to the PL on £85m total outlay, spine of the team that finished 9th in the PL. But you think it's average because Chris Hussey wasn't good or Caolon Lavery didn't go on to be Harry Kane.

Again, oh dear
Maybe promotion had something to do with coaching and playing style as well. And let's just ignore the last 4 years of shit recruitment shall we?

The recruitment is belong side someone who can’t afford to run us the reason we find ourselves in such an utter shambles at the moment, this can’t be revolutionary surely?

Let’s see how Jamie fares, we need to act straight away to sort it all out, it will more than likely take 2 or 3 windows unless we get a bit of luck along the way.

Maybe promotion had something to do with coaching and playing style as well. And let's just ignore the last 4 years of shit recruitment shall we?

Anel, MGW, McAtee, Doyle not count? PL signings were poor but the club signed high profile players who'd done well against United. Mitchell takes blame but I aim the majority higher up, just like the majority of the praise for success goes higher. My point was, he certainly wasn't shit.

If you're blaming anything but UW for Traore, Slimane and Larouci then you are being silly/even sillier

I haven't said to ignore anything. I said that Summer 16 to January 19 was as good as any club has ever done it. Then you got all pissy and took it another way. Even tried a poor taste gender joke in there.

Just going back to John Gannon.
One rainy weds night, I had been on a radio operators course at towd Stockbridge college, we were playing pigs at element rustico.
Finished said lesson at 9 pm,
Jumped in car to listen to commo on RS,
"Gannon with the free kick....swings it into the box.....BOOBY DAVIDSON heads it into the back of the net.....3-1 to the blades...."

Needless to say my driving got a little bit erattic for a few seconds.

Anel, MGW, McAtee, Doyle not count? PL signings were poor but the club signed high profile players who'd done well against United. Mitchell takes blame but I aim the majority higher up, just like the majority of the praise for success goes higher. My point was, he certainly wasn't shit.

If you're blaming anything but UW for Traore, Slimane and Larouci then you are being silly/even sillier

I haven't said to ignore anything. I said that Summer 16 to January 19 was as good as any club has ever done it. Then you got all pissy and took it another way. Even tried a poor taste gender joke in there.
Gender joke? Where? You are seriously weird. I never said recruitment was shit I said it was average. I never got pissy just asked you to think about the poor recruitment as well as the good stuff.

Gender joke? Where? You are seriously weird. I never said recruitment was shit I said it was average. I never got pissy just asked you to think about the poor recruitment as well as the good stuff.
Im weird? Question my intelligence and suggest I'm menstruating because you have silly opinions?

Oh deary, deary me

Im weird? Question my intelligence and suggest I'm menstruating because you have silly opinions?

Oh deary, deary me
You started with the patronising deary me because someone had a different opinion to you. Anyway no more arguing some of us have a life.

I think we also tend to forget that between signing Brewster in October 2020 and Anel in July 2022 we didn't sign anyone permanently.

I think this is one of the key reasons behind why we're in such a mess, the squad was super lopsided and left us exposed last summer with having to bring in ready made replacements with a minimal budget.

It's critical that the new recruitment set up is allowed to recruit unlike the last time we went down.

Wages.

Two trains of thought. (three actually)

1- Magic money tree - ambition/investment - pay anything ( think Leon Clarke's renewed contract for context) what did we get from that ?

2- Wages don't count, it's only the signing on fee that matters. Ambition/investment etc.

3- Social media, it doesn't matter what it costs. (it's not our money) though we 'think and assume our £ 20 (avg) fortnightly' means that the club is owned by us.

Just going back to John Gannon.
One rainy weds night, I had been on a radio operators course at towd Stockbridge college, we were playing pigs at element rustico.
Finished said lesson at 9 pm,
Jumped in car to listen to commo on RS,
"Gannon with the free kick....swings it into the box.....BOOBY DAVIDSON heads it into the back of the net.....3-1 to the blades...."

Needless to say my driving got a little bit erattic for a few seconds.
Poor commentary as it wasn’t a free kick. 😉

Our last 'Head scout' oversaw his role when we signed JOC, Duffy, EEL, Jake Wright, Leon Clarke, Fleck, Baldock, Stevens, Dudzy, Stearman, Lundstram, Norwood, Egan, Henderson, Madine and others, all for less than the money received from Bournemouth for David Brooks.

The disrespect he gets on here is frankly pathetic. Even over the last 3 seasons he was personally influential in getting MGW, McAtee and Doyle
How about the recent ones?

Please, no one elevate John Gannon to “legend” status. I can see it coming. He was shite overall.

Back
Top Bottom