My take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Did Bogle's assist also figure in the shots column?
Brilliant bit of readjustment that.

My conclusion from yesterday is that we need to get a team/formation to play to the players’ strengths. No individual is ever going to be good at every aspect of the game.
1. Norwood is a very good passer of the ball, seems to be back to being able to deliver good set-pieces, but needs the help of a ball-winner. An assist with a goal, and with a sending-off is pretty good for 1 game.
2. Berge needs the ball in front of him, and to be running at the opposition. In a few minutes, he created 2 real goal-scoring chances. That is where he can do damage to the opposition. In his own half, he can do damage to us.
3. The same is true of Ndiaye. He and MGW need to be given the freedom to try extravagant skills, and allowed to fail occasionally (as with Bogle when attacking - his shot turned into a goal-creating pass!)
4. Brewster appears to be a confidence player, and seems to respond to encouragement rather than criticism/ mockery. The previous home game, he received the ball on the penalty spot, and seemed to need MGW to tell him to turn and shoot before he scored; yesterday in a similar position,there was no hesitation in turning and hitting it. We need to make use of his pace and growing confidence.
5. There are key roles we need to find players for. A central defender who is dominant in the air (necessary in this league), and a midfield enforcer (don’t see us finding one any time soon). But very few teams at this level have everything…

My conclusion from yesterday is that we need to get a team/formation to play to the players’ strengths. No individual is ever going to be good at every aspect of the game.
1. Norwood is a very good passer of the ball, seems to be back to being able to deliver good set-pieces, but needs the help of a ball-winner. An assist with a goal, and with a sending-off is pretty good for 1 game.
2. Berge needs the ball in front of him, and to be running at the opposition. In a few minutes, he created 2 real goal-scoring chances. That is where he can do damage to the opposition. In his own half, he can do damage to us.
3. The same is true of Ndiaye. He and MGW need to be given the freedom to try extravagant skills, and allowed to fail occasionally (as with Bogle when attacking - his shot turned into a goal-creating pass!)
4. Brewster appears to be a confidence player, and seems to respond to encouragement rather than criticism/ mockery. The previous home game, he received the ball on the penalty spot, and seemed to need MGW to tell him to turn and shoot before he scored; yesterday in a similar position,there was no hesitation in turning and hitting it. We need to make use of his pace and growing confidence.
5. There are key roles we need to find players for. A central defender who is dominant in the air (necessary in this league), and a midfield enforcer (don’t see us finding one any time soon). But very few teams at this level have everything…
Good Analysis.
I would like 2 athletic midfielders who can read the game and tackle. This would really bring out the best in MGW Ndiaye and even Berge if played centrally.
Berge. Berge can show flashes of brilliance but overall does not grab the game and dominate.

Now while it is good to see Brewster improving and contributing to the scoring. I would caution anyone who thinks he will become the £23m player we thought we bought. While his work ethic and movement has improved, he still has a long way to go. I think he is average at best in terms of making space for himself or stretching defenses.
As regards his goal scoring he is very one dimensional. He has a powerful shot and likes to strike the ball first time or like yesterday a touch to get it controlled then whack. To develop into a top striker he needs to add some finesse to his shooting.

Good Analysis.
I would like 2 athletic midfielders who can read the game and tackle. This would really bring out the best in MGW Ndiaye and even Berge if played centrally.
Berge. Berge can show flashes of brilliance but overall does not grab the game and dominate.

Now while it is good to see Brewster improving and contributing to the scoring. I would caution anyone who thinks he will become the £23m player we thought we bought. While his work ethic and movement has improved, he still has a long way to go. I think he is average at best in terms of making space for himself or stretching defenses.
As regards his goal scoring he is very one dimensional. He has a powerful shot and likes to strike the ball first time or like yesterday a touch to get it controlled then whack. To develop into a top striker he needs to add some finesse to his shooting.
At least Brewster is looking as if there is a footballer in there, recently. Strikers, like goalkeepers, are a funny breed. Most good strikers have runs of scoring and barren spells. He looks as if that is a possibility now. And he looks to be enjoying playing football…

I think Brewster shows the workings of a good striker you can see he’s been well schooled at Liverpool and England youth but he’s in a team that’s not known for high intensity pass and move with large percentage of possession, whoever’s idea it was to sign him wants sacking I’m not knocking the kid but I can’t ever see him scoring regularly for us to justify his fee he’s just not our kind of player.

It's a long way to come.

... to see Norwood 'ping' it out to closed down wingbacks and play as a central midfield traffic cone.

Yes. Yes it is.

I can do that from the comfort of my own home.

But anyway ...

STOP SLAGGING NORWOOD OFF.JPG

pommpey

I thought pommpey 's mark for Berge was way too harsh but what on earth are some of our fans watching?

The guy moves like the Duracell Bunny powered by the kind of batteries you're given free with remote controls.

I had to laugh when Gage suggested that right midfield should be his position - based on those good 20 minutes against a team which had given up, rather than on all the previous occasions when he's played there to no effect at all.

Here we are, two years later, and some think he should be right midfield, others reckon he must be played as a pivot, and a few think he'd tear it up as an attacking midfielder.

That nobody can even agree that his best position has been found tells you everything you need to know.

Oh... and the Hourihane mark was also too low. He had a good game. Occasionally he manages that.
Traffic cone Berge was placed out on the right hand side this time, rather than placed in the middle. Some people think this is his best position to stand in. I personally think his best spot would be at J10 of the M1 roadworks, joining in with his other cone mates to protect the workforce on the hard shoulder. Who knows, if he did well there he may get a big-money move to the M25......

Berge is an enigma

The physique of Declan Rice the application of John Inman

It’s ok coming on and waltzing about against tripe like Luton when they’re down and beaten - it’s another thing taking the game by the scruff of the neck from the start and dictating play - which is what we should expect and were expecting .

Don’t care if it’s right side , left side , deep , forward , he just isn’t and hasn’t done it .

Perhaps he can’t , doesn’t want to do never will

I'd say performances against superior teams like Spurs and Arsenal suggest he has done it

Back
Top Bottom