My take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Think it’s going to be a cracking 2nd half to the season . Some great home games to look forward to .

I personally think that this is one of the weakest championships I have witnessed - some awful teams (and we have contributed to this) - but I think Hecky could get us organised and get a tune out of us to make it really interesting .

Good display yesterday against another woeful team .

Thought young IN was really good and is maturing . Norwood was also very good and I’m pleased for Robinson

Bash was immense

Onwards and who knows

Hope springs eternal

I have to agree with pommpey and his take on Norwood and Hourihane after the first 15mins Luton worked their way into the game and looked the more likely of the two teams in a scrappy first half. If their player had started his run a second later on the free kick they would have gone in a goal up at HT. This was the period of the game where our midfield duo were largely anonymous and not at the races both deserving of a 5/10 mark. Norwood did improve after the break which to me moves him up to a 6 but Hourihane never did enough all game we have to get better than these two asap.
A toss up for me for the MOTM between Brewster and Bogle, good contributions from Ndiaye, Basham and (wait for it) Robinson. Yeah C3PO if he was consistently putting in the level of performance like yesterday and at Fulham then he would be useful, easily as good as anything Ben Davies has produced for us. The rest of the team pretty much average, a stroll in the Park for Wes and we got some minutes into McG, McB and Berge who maybe could have shown more drive, his passing was tidy as usual but I would like to see him run at teams. Can't be too critical as we controlled the game much better than at Preston where we let it become like a basketball game. Luton never really had a sniff of getting back into the game and we still had chances for a goal or two more.

Berge 3/10: Not sure what speed this bloke is set at, or if he's running round the car park before he is sent on. But he seems to be at a different, lower level of energy output every time I see him. Involved but ineffective. We need to get rid. Berge is never going to set the planet on fire for us, or for any team in the English Leagues. What a waste of money and supposed talent.

What ? He ran the show when he came on

I thought pommpey 's mark for Berge was way too harsh but what on earth are some of our fans watching?

The guy moves like the Duracell Bunny powered by the kind of batteries you're given free with remote controls.

I had to laugh when Gage suggested that right midfield should be his position - based on those good 20 minutes against a team which had given up, rather than on all the previous occasions when he's played there to no effect at all.

Here we are, two years later, and some think he should be right midfield, others reckon he must be played as a pivot, and a few think he'd tear it up as an attacking midfielder.

That nobody can even agree that his best position has been found tells you everything you need to know.

Oh... and the Hourihane mark was also too low. He had a good game. Occasionally he manages that.

Last edited:
Around me at half time we were saying

United are an average to decent team but without Gibbs-White we lack any real threat against well organised defences.
Regards Luton we said they looked like a very good well organised league 1 team, they had little quality and never looked like scoring.

Basically we played well and looked good but bare in mind Luton were poor
Don’t think we quite look a play-off standard team.

Agree about Brewster….he was lively and very mobile pulling their defenders all over the place.….
we commented that Sharp looked old (regards pace and mobility) in comparison.

I thought pommpey 's mark for Berge was way too harsh but what on earth are some of our fans watching?

The guy moves like the Duracell Bunny powered by the kind of batteries you're given free with remote controls.

I had to laugh when Gage suggested that right midfield should be his position - based on those good 20 minutes against a team which had given up, rather than on all the previous occasions when he's played there to no effect at all.

Here we are, two years later, and some think he should be right midfield, others reckon he must be played as a pivot, and a few think he'd tear it up as an attacking midfielder.

That nobody can even agree that his best position has been found tells you everything you need to know.

Oh... and the Hourihane mark was also too low. He had a good game. Occasionally he manages that.
Berge is an enigma

The physique of Declan Rice the application of John Inman

It’s ok coming on and waltzing about against tripe like Luton when they’re down and beaten - it’s another thing taking the game by the scruff of the neck from the start and dictating play - which is what we should expect and were expecting .

Don’t care if it’s right side , left side , deep , forward , he just isn’t and hasn’t done it .

Perhaps he can’t , doesn’t want to do never will

Really satisfied today with the come back since Preston. It was a comprehensive victory, albeit against a pretty low-rent and ten man Luton side. We needed a win and needed the three points but I am still unconvinced over ninety minutes we are anything near a playoff contender let alone a now-unreachable automatic spot.

I was a bit surprised at Hecky's lack of want to scalpel and adjust the midfield since Preston, clearly the guilty parties of our lack of ability to control the game at two up at Deepdale. Our engine room isn't anywhere near where it should be and the evidence was there today throughout the first and second half, even at two up. Hourihane's continued reluctance to put himself in the mix ad Norwood's continued want to pump it out to a non advancing wingback with both guilty of possessional offences tells it all. Thank fuck for players like Bogle, Basham and for once RND for stepping up and making the advances even though RND is guilty of some shitstopping misses where scoring was a harder option. The fact that once again that game should have been home and hosed by minute 45 tell you, the supporter, that change is not just necessary but essential in the ongoing tale of Sheffield United's credibility as a footballing side. In twelve months time in this division (because hopefully we will stay here) we have Hourihane, Fleck, Berge and Norwood as our pick any from this list then we are in trouble. We clearly need bite, teeth and players who will not only turn skill on, but show positionally for the way up the pitch. We have tolerated shit midfielders for too long and it is many years since Michael Brown, possibly the last player who could do the job effectively, efficiently and for the shirt. 22 goals in one season tells it's own tale. Watching Norwood rocket that shot with his 'sweet feet' and 'wand of a right foot' into the kop today should finally drop the pennies for those amongst us who think he has a future at Bramall Lane next year.

Upsides though are that Brewster seems to be slowly maturing in both positional and directional sense, and that Robinson had a pretty decent game, capped by a well-deserved goal. We also got, and managed three points from today's outing and kept a clean sheet. We have a week off now before the chaos starts with a winnable awayday at Peterborough, a team we fucking demolished at BDTBL. I expect three points from that too, before that puts us in the mixer with the seven match flurry from which it is hard to see where the next set of points will emerge. There are 21 points to gain and ten would be nice, even if it clears us of any low-stomach-ache fears of being pulled into the outer rim of a relegation scrap. Historically, we've not done well from those.

Foderingham 7/10: Confident display and a really decent save low down to his left from Jerome
Bogle 8.5/10: MotM. Again, I reinforce that he is the only Wilder signing who has paid his transfer fee. He is industrious out on that flank and whilst untested defensively today, offers real, palpable threat with his ventures forward and into the opposition penalty area
Basham 7.5/10: Another pretty flawless performance from Mr Reliable. It comes to something when you are actually looking for something to downmark Basham, such is his contribution
Egan 6.5/10: Largely untested with high balls and longballs today, but pretty solid
Robinson 7.5/10: A really pleasing performance from C3PO. Worked fucking hard in his position and his levels of concentration are obviously improving. A well taken, if unchallenged goal but ... it sealed the win.
RND 6/10: Loses a point for his abject inability to drive the sword home. Fuck me he missed some today. Okay some hit their defenders but the last one was a roll across the box, knee-above-the-ball crack into the far corner
Norwood 5/10: In some areas of this match, Norwood was at 7/10 levels. He was intercepting, hitting pretty decent passes and contributing well to out system. Then he picks the ball up (as in the first half) and there's twenty fucking metres of empty pitch ahead of him, almost to the edge of their area, to run into. What does he do? Downshifts a gear and allows Luton to close him down. Fuck me. Michael Brown. That's all I have to day. In fact fuck this. Michael Doyle. Even he'd have ran into that empty space and made shit happen.
Hourihane 4/10: Still not good enough for me. Nesh, undercommitted and basically not good enough for this system or team
Ndaiye 8/10: Cracking outing from this lad. Seems to be the only conduit as to how and where we make real advances on the opposition. Carries the ball well and digs it out from challenges. Bit he is mission MGW badly.
Sharp 5/10: Grafted hard to make Luton work and was guilty of the wingers and midfield not finding him in space in the danger area. As ever, spent a lot of time fetching and carrying
Brewster 7.5/10: A possibly inflated mark for the kid but it seems with every game now, he is maturing steadily and understanding how the Sheffield United system works. Well taken goal and made the opposition work with (I don't care what you think) was a fucking nailed on red card.

Berge 3/10: Not sure what speed this bloke is set at, or if he's running round the car park before he is sent on. But he seems to be at a different, lower level of energy output every time I see him. Involved but ineffective. We need to get rid. Berge is never going to set the planet on fire for us, or for any team in the English Leagues. What a waste of money and supposed talent.
McGoldrick 3/10: Not much to mark him on TBF
McBurnie 3/10: Again not much. Seems very match rusty

Overall a great win and good feeling of muted progress. We need to batter Posh next week to announce our resurgence because the upcoming programme is both punishing and relentless

pommpey
Mostly agree, but not re RND and Berge. The former had a poor game and his passing, even when not under pressure, is poor. As you say his shooting is no better and he rarely if ever tried to go past his marker.
I thought Berge looked good: not outstanding but effective with a few runs forward with the ball and quality crossing/ passing.

Around me at half time we were saying

United are an average to decent team but without Gibbs-White we lack any real threat against well organised defences.
Regards Luton we said they looked like a very good well organised league 1 team, they had little quality and never looked like scoring.

Basically we played well and looked good but bare in mind Luton were poor
Don’t think we quite look a play-off standard team.

Agree about Brewster….he was lively and very mobile pulling their defenders all over the place.….
we commented that Sharp looked old (regards pace and mobility) in comparison.
Sharp is old by comparison

The fact Billy has been a nailed on starter says more about the rest of them than him

Seems Hecky is being clear with Mousse what is required and hopefully is delivering some home truths . If so then about time .

Billy and Didzy shouldn’t be near starting . Not their fault they’re on the downward slope , happens to us all .

Hopefully Hecky can knock some heads together and get them into shape - seems to be happening with Brewster

I have to agree with pommpey and his take on Norwood and Hourihane after the first 15mins Luton worked their way into the game and looked the more likely of the two teams in a scrappy first half. If their player had started his run a second later on the free kick they would have gone in a goal up at HT. This was the period of the game where our midfield duo were largely anonymous and not at the races both deserving of a 5/10 mark. Norwood did improve after the break which to me moves him up to a 6 but Hourihane never did enough all game we have to get better than these two asap.
A toss up for me for the MOTM between Brewster and Bogle, good contributions from Ndiaye, Basham and (wait for it) Robinson. Yeah C3PO if he was consistently putting in the level of performance like yesterday and at Fulham then he would be useful, easily as good as anything Ben Davies has produced for us. The rest of the team pretty much average, a stroll in the Park for Wes and we got some minutes into McG, McB and Berge who maybe could have shown more drive, his passing was tidy as usual but I would like to see him run at teams. Can't be too critical as we controlled the game much better than at Preston where we let it become like a basketball game. Luton never really had a sniff of getting back into the game and we still had chances for a goal or two more.
Berge did run at them and got into the box/byline several times. Not outstanding but effective.

Mostly agree, but not re RND and Berge. The former had a poor game and his passing, even when not under pressure, is poor. As you say his shooting is no better and he rarely if ever tried to go past his marker.
I thought Berge looked good: not outstanding but effective with a few runs forward with the ball and quality crossing/ passing.
Berge needs to look good from the start - if he can’t or doesn’t then he will be back in Belgium

Berge needs to look good from the start - if he can’t or doesn’t then he will be back in Belgium
Why get rid of someone who is a decent part of the squad ? I don’t go along with some who think he is outstanding but he is effective and on a squad basis we don’t have anyone better.

Berge is an enigma

The physique of Declan Rice the application of John Inman

It’s ok coming on and waltzing about against tripe like Luton when they’re down and beaten - it’s another thing taking the game by the scruff of the neck from the start and dictating play - which is what we should expect and were expecting .

Don’t care if it’s right side , left side , deep , forward , he just isn’t and hasn’t done it .

Perhaps he can’t , doesn’t want to do never will

My issue isn't with the player himself (just as it never has been with Robinson). He, nor any other player, can control our expectations.

In Berge's case what amazes me is how there is a surprising number of our fans who still hold on to a belief that he's somehow better than he is.

Sometimes good players are not a good fit for clubs, and he may well fall into that category despite multiple opportunities in several different positions, but from everything I've seen from him he's not quick enough to play in the midfield of any side in a major European league.

Maybe as a bona-fide pivot not expected to do much other than to protect twin centre backs he could work out. Who knows? Maybe centre half is his true position, where he could bring the ball out under little or no pressure.

But in all honesty there is no chance that a truly gifted top quality player, in any position on the field, wouldn't stand out in our side.

This is not Berge's fault, he can't be blamed for being hyped up by others.

Why get rid of someone who is a decent part of the squad ? I don’t go along with some who think he is outstanding but he is effective and on a squad basis we don’t have anyone better.
He’s effective when we’re 2 up and not from the start (wasn’t very effective at Preston but hey ho)

Most of the time he’s been in effective

Expect more from him - he can do it there’s no doubt but not enough or to have an impact

Thought Berge did OK when he came on, but he was operating on the opposite side of the pitch to where I am so perhaps didn't have the best view. I don't think his languid style of movement helps with the perception that he's not putting effort in. He doesn't so much burst into/through space, he glides.
Berge does have good vision for what is around him, how the opposition players are committing themselves (including forcing them to make that commitment), and then making use of that to dictate his move.

I'd disagree with McBurnie's mark too. Give him no mark for not being on the pitch more than 10 minutes, but not sure why a player would get 3 without doing anything wrong (apart from not having long socks?).

And even RND's shooting. So the last effort was cack, but I don't get how you get blasted for being shit at shooting when you hammer a strike low and on target and a defender gets a last gasp leg on it to slice it over the bar. Was that really a terrible shot from RND?

Another good take there. I'm feeling a lot happier today than I was on Wednesday morning at any rate. Glad Brewster got his goal, it's hard not to feel for the lad because he really does try.
Overall, I'm just glad I can watch the EFL show today, with a smile on face. Without my blood pressure rising as I rant like a twat.

My issue isn't with the player himself (just as it never has been with Robinson). He, nor any other player, can control our expectations.

In Berge's case what amazes me is how there is a surprising number of our fans who still hold on to a belief that he's somehow better than he is.

Sometimes good players are not a good fit for clubs, and he may well fall into that category despite multiple opportunities in several different positions, but from everything I've seen from him he's not quick enough to play in the midfield of any side in a major European league.

Maybe as a bona-fide pivot not expected to do much other than to protect twin centre backs he could work out. Who knows? Maybe centre half is his true position, where he could bring the ball out under little or no pressure.

But in all honesty there is no chance that a truly gifted top quality player, in any position on the field, wouldn't stand out in our side.

I just don’t understand what football match you were watching ?

Every time he got the ball he drove forward with it or passed it he dominated the game and controlled it

I don’t get what some people expect him to do ? Beat 10 players and score an overhead kick ?

Berge/Brewster etc …. Will never ever be decent players in some fans eyes as they will always be compared to there price tag

Mostly agree although I thought Norwood had an excellent game today, won his tackles for once and I thought his passing was progressive today rather than show pony, more like the Promotion season Norwood a 7.5 out of 10... Hourihane however is the worst possible partner he could have, we need a terrier along side Norwood, but we got away with it today.
Just sold/selling one to Hull!!!

Thought Berge grew into the game quite nicely. Showed a few moments of beating his men, getting to the byline and getting a ball in to a danger area.

Berge has the attributes to be a good player. We haven't seen this from him for any sort of consistent period for a myriad of reasons.

However to suggest his natural position might be centre half is very strange. He's not good in the air (this is a bit strange for a guy of his size), tackling isn't he forte either and given his size and style of movement he's not quick on the turn. His came is picking the ball up, keeping it moving and linking play up or making yards on the carry himself. Perhaps getting forward more than he does could be added to his game because he looks effective when he does.

I usually agree with most of what you say pommpey.
This time I find myself agreeing with everything you say.
Will this ever happen again 😂

Sharp is old by comparison

The fact Billy has been a nailed on starter says more about the rest of them than him

Seems Hecky is being clear with Mousse what is required and hopefully is delivering some home truths . If so then about time .

Billy and Didzy shouldn’t be near starting . Not their fault they’re on the downward slope , happens to us all .

Hopefully Hecky can knock some heads together and get them into shape - seems to be happening with Brewster
Billy is the only fit striker who can lead a line. McBurnie can do it. No one else. This is why he starts every game.

At the 8 minute mark, Bogle gets into the box and if he looks up, he would have seen Billy racing towards the far post, a simple, straight line pass, would have seen Billy tap in for an easy opener.

Norwood - the one thing I can never understand is this; Oli Norwood can kick the long, diagonal ball, almost the full length of the pitch, and it lands at the intended players feet, inch perfect. I repeat, inch perfect. When he shoots at goal, it's nowhere near. It's not like it skims the wood work, it's yards over. How he can't even get it on target is a mystery.

I assume that at 36 years of age, Adlene Guedioura is not a player who can do the full 90 minutes (even when fit), but I think him, protecting Norwood and the defenders, would be a better option than Hourihane.

I can't be too harsh, we scored, and Brewster seems to be starting to understand what a handful he can be, up front, the reaction from the crowd (when he scored) tells you all you need to know, everyone at BDTBL wants the lad to do well. We need to remember (sometimes) that he (and Iliman and MGW) is only 21 years old.

Walking out of BDTBL, after a win, priceless.

Really satisfied today with the come back since Preston. It was a comprehensive victory, albeit against a pretty low-rent and ten man Luton side. We needed a win and needed the three points but I am still unconvinced over ninety minutes we are anything near a playoff contender let alone a now-unreachable automatic spot.

I was a bit surprised at Hecky's lack of want to scalpel and adjust the midfield since Preston, clearly the guilty parties of our lack of ability to control the game at two up at Deepdale. Our engine room isn't anywhere near where it should be and the evidence was there today throughout the first and second half, even at two up. Hourihane's continued reluctance to put himself in the mix ad Norwood's continued want to pump it out to a non advancing wingback with both guilty of possessional offences tells it all. Thank fuck for players like Bogle, Basham and for once RND for stepping up and making the advances even though RND is guilty of some shitstopping misses where scoring was a harder option. The fact that once again that game should have been home and hosed by minute 45 tell you, the supporter, that change is not just necessary but essential in the ongoing tale of Sheffield United's credibility as a footballing side. In twelve months time in this division (because hopefully we will stay here) we have Hourihane, Fleck, Berge and Norwood as our pick any from this list then we are in trouble. We clearly need bite, teeth and players who will not only turn skill on, but show positionally for the way up the pitch. We have tolerated shit midfielders for too long and it is many years since Michael Brown, possibly the last player who could do the job effectively, efficiently and for the shirt. 22 goals in one season tells it's own tale. Watching Norwood rocket that shot with his 'sweet feet' and 'wand of a right foot' into the kop today should finally drop the pennies for those amongst us who think he has a future at Bramall Lane next year.

Upsides though are that Brewster seems to be slowly maturing in both positional and directional sense, and that Robinson had a pretty decent game, capped by a well-deserved goal. We also got, and managed three points from today's outing and kept a clean sheet. We have a week off now before the chaos starts with a winnable awayday at Peterborough, a team we fucking demolished at BDTBL. I expect three points from that too, before that puts us in the mixer with the seven match flurry from which it is hard to see where the next set of points will emerge. There are 21 points to gain and ten would be nice, even if it clears us of any low-stomach-ache fears of being pulled into the outer rim of a relegation scrap. Historically, we've not done well from those.

Foderingham 7/10: Confident display and a really decent save low down to his left from Jerome
Bogle 8.5/10: MotM. Again, I reinforce that he is the only Wilder signing who has paid his transfer fee. He is industrious out on that flank and whilst untested defensively today, offers real, palpable threat with his ventures forward and into the opposition penalty area
Basham 7.5/10: Another pretty flawless performance from Mr Reliable. It comes to something when you are actually looking for something to downmark Basham, such is his contribution
Egan 6.5/10: Largely untested with high balls and longballs today, but pretty solid
Robinson 7.5/10: A really pleasing performance from C3PO. Worked fucking hard in his position and his levels of concentration are obviously improving. A well taken, if unchallenged goal but ... it sealed the win.
RND 6/10: Loses a point for his abject inability to drive the sword home. Fuck me he missed some today. Okay some hit their defenders but the last one was a roll across the box, knee-above-the-ball crack into the far corner
Norwood 5/10: In some areas of this match, Norwood was at 7/10 levels. He was intercepting, hitting pretty decent passes and contributing well to out system. Then he picks the ball up (as in the first half) and there's twenty fucking metres of empty pitch ahead of him, almost to the edge of their area, to run into. What does he do? Downshifts a gear and allows Luton to close him down. Fuck me. Michael Brown. That's all I have to day. In fact fuck this. Michael Doyle. Even he'd have ran into that empty space and made shit happen.
Hourihane 4/10: Still not good enough for me. Nesh, undercommitted and basically not good enough for this system or team
Ndaiye 8/10: Cracking outing from this lad. Seems to be the only conduit as to how and where we make real advances on the opposition. Carries the ball well and digs it out from challenges. Bit he is mission MGW badly.
Sharp 5/10: Grafted hard to make Luton work and was guilty of the wingers and midfield not finding him in space in the danger area. As ever, spent a lot of time fetching and carrying
Brewster 7.5/10: A possibly inflated mark for the kid but it seems with every game now, he is maturing steadily and understanding how the Sheffield United system works. Well taken goal and made the opposition work with (I don't care what you think) was a fucking nailed on red card.

McGoldrick 3/10: Not much to mark him on TBF
McBurnie 3/10: Again not much. Seems very match rusty

Overall a great win and good feeling of muted progress. We need to batter Posh next week to announce our resurgence because the upcoming programme is both punishing and relentless

pommpey
Agree with all of that.

First half I was thinking Brewster was going to be MoM, he dropped of a little in the second half but still kept going, he is going to be the player we all thought we had bought.

Bogle no real contest for MoM, he is becoming some player. If only we can hang on to him, I think the bigger clubs will be circling .

Bash is just Bash, you have to love him

I think Berge has some mobility issues after his long lay off, they'll be working on him behind the scenes and few minutes here & there can only help him.

Middle of the park is crap just like you said, maybe Bogle could figure in there somewhere, if we can accommodate Bogle & Baldock that would be a real bonus.

We still aren't the finished article, in fact a long way off! we should've had four today if not more.

Onwards & upwards

Berge played a pivotal role is seeing the game out very comfortably. He also has the ability and positional sense not to need to sprint around like a headless chicken (although I know a lot of fans love to see that) and is deceptively mobile. He is continuing his comeback from an injury that could have finished his career.

What you have to think about with Berge is - Norwood and Hourihane are being picked ahead of him.

pommpey projecting 30 years worth of naval service induced sexual frustration on Ollie Norwood...

_20220123_163531.JPG

PS. Just so I know how credible your ratings are, were you at the game?

pommpey projecting 30 years worth of naval service induced sexual frustration on Ollie Norwood...

View attachment 128729

PS. Just so I know how credible your ratings are, were you at the game?

42 years, actually.

Not sure what the other point you're making is. Have to admit, it's you who dug that pic up. Is it you masking summat here?

And no, I wasn't at the match. What difference does that make?

sets Jaffo up for a chin-shot

pommpey

Good 3 points & good second half and a did everything we should have done on Tues night in a lot more professional performance . Thought Brewster looked really at it and payed off there last man very well looked a handful & deserved his goal long may it continue & i hope he gets a good run in the side now . Also Norwood had a good game and added tackling to his game ! as well as pulling the strings in the middle .
Also a mention in dispatches for Bogle very good second half another player whose confidence is gaining . I hope its not too long before MGW returns from injury , Id like to see him , Ndiaye & Brewster all playing together ⚔️

Back
Top Bottom