My take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

pommpey

THE FUTURE ... AS IT USED TO BE
Reaction score
Really satisfied today with the come back since Preston. It was a comprehensive victory, albeit against a pretty low-rent and ten man Luton side. We needed a win and needed the three points but I am still unconvinced over ninety minutes we are anything near a playoff contender let alone a now-unreachable automatic spot.

I was a bit surprised at Hecky's lack of want to scalpel and adjust the midfield since Preston, clearly the guilty parties of our lack of ability to control the game at two up at Deepdale. Our engine room isn't anywhere near where it should be and the evidence was there today throughout the first and second half, even at two up. Hourihane's continued reluctance to put himself in the mix ad Norwood's continued want to pump it out to a non advancing wingback with both guilty of possessional offences tells it all. Thank fuck for players like Bogle, Basham and for once RND for stepping up and making the advances even though RND is guilty of some shitstopping misses where scoring was a harder option. The fact that once again that game should have been home and hosed by minute 45 tell you, the supporter, that change is not just necessary but essential in the ongoing tale of Sheffield United's credibility as a footballing side. In twelve months time in this division (because hopefully we will stay here) we have Hourihane, Fleck, Berge and Norwood as our pick any from this list then we are in trouble. We clearly need bite, teeth and players who will not only turn skill on, but show positionally for the way up the pitch. We have tolerated shit midfielders for too long and it is many years since Michael Brown, possibly the last player who could do the job effectively, efficiently and for the shirt. 22 goals in one season tells it's own tale. Watching Norwood rocket that shot with his 'sweet feet' and 'wand of a right foot' into the kop today should finally drop the pennies for those amongst us who think he has a future at Bramall Lane next year.

Upsides though are that Brewster seems to be slowly maturing in both positional and directional sense, and that Robinson had a pretty decent game, capped by a well-deserved goal. We also got, and managed three points from today's outing and kept a clean sheet. We have a week off now before the chaos starts with a winnable awayday at Peterborough, a team we fucking demolished at BDTBL. I expect three points from that too, before that puts us in the mixer with the seven match flurry from which it is hard to see where the next set of points will emerge. There are 21 points to gain and ten would be nice, even if it clears us of any low-stomach-ache fears of being pulled into the outer rim of a relegation scrap. Historically, we've not done well from those.

Foderingham 7/10: Confident display and a really decent save low down to his left from Jerome
Bogle 8.5/10: MotM. Again, I reinforce that he is the only Wilder signing who has paid his transfer fee. He is industrious out on that flank and whilst untested defensively today, offers real, palpable threat with his ventures forward and into the opposition penalty area
Basham 7.5/10: Another pretty flawless performance from Mr Reliable. It comes to something when you are actually looking for something to downmark Basham, such is his contribution
Egan 6.5/10: Largely untested with high balls and longballs today, but pretty solid
Robinson 7.5/10: A really pleasing performance from C3PO. Worked fucking hard in his position and his levels of concentration are obviously improving. A well taken, if unchallenged goal but ... it sealed the win.
RND 6/10: Loses a point for his abject inability to drive the sword home. Fuck me he missed some today. Okay some hit their defenders but the last one was a roll across the box, knee-above-the-ball crack into the far corner
Norwood 5/10: In some areas of this match, Norwood was at 7/10 levels. He was intercepting, hitting pretty decent passes and contributing well to out system. Then he picks the ball up (as in the first half) and there's twenty fucking metres of empty pitch ahead of him, almost to the edge of their area, to run into. What does he do? Downshifts a gear and allows Luton to close him down. Fuck me. Michael Brown. That's all I have to day. In fact fuck this. Michael Doyle. Even he'd have ran into that empty space and made shit happen.
Hourihane 4/10: Still not good enough for me. Nesh, undercommitted and basically not good enough for this system or team
Ndaiye 8/10: Cracking outing from this lad. Seems to be the only conduit as to how and where we make real advances on the opposition. Carries the ball well and digs it out from challenges. Bit he is mission MGW badly.
Sharp 5/10: Grafted hard to make Luton work and was guilty of the wingers and midfield not finding him in space in the danger area. As ever, spent a lot of time fetching and carrying
Brewster 7.5/10: A possibly inflated mark for the kid but it seems with every game now, he is maturing steadily and understanding how the Sheffield United system works. Well taken goal and made the opposition work with (I don't care what you think) was a fucking nailed on red card.

Berge 3/10: Not sure what speed this bloke is set at, or if he's running round the car park before he is sent on. But he seems to be at a different, lower level of energy output every time I see him. Involved but ineffective. We need to get rid. Berge is never going to set the planet on fire for us, or for any team in the English Leagues. What a waste of money and supposed talent.
McGoldrick 3/10: Not much to mark him on TBF
McBurnie 3/10: Again not much. Seems very match rusty

Overall a great win and good feeling of muted progress. We need to batter Posh next week to announce our resurgence because the upcoming programme is both punishing and relentless

pommpey

• Banned
Really satisfied today with the come back since Preston. It was a comprehensive victory, albeit against a pretty low-rent and ten man Luton side. We needed a win and needed the three points but I am still unconvinced over ninety minutes we are anything near a playoff contender let alone a now-unreachable automatic spot.

I was a bit surprised at Hecky's lack of want to scalpel and adjust the midfield since Preston, clearly the guilty parties of our lack of ability to control the game at two up at Deepdale. Our engine room isn't anywhere near where it should be and the evidence was there today throughout the first and second half, even at two up. Hourihane's continued reluctance to put himself in the mix ad Norwood's continued want to pump it out to a non advancing wingback with both guilty of possessional offences tells it all. Thank fuck for players like Bogle, Basham and for once RND for stepping up and making the advances even though RND is guilty of some shitstopping misses where scoring was a harder option. The fact that once again that game should have been home and hosed by minute 45 tell you, the supporter, that change is not just necessary but essential in the ongoing tale of Sheffield United's credibility as a footballing side. In twelve months time in this division (because hopefully we will stay here) we have Hourihane, Fleck, Berge and Norwood as our pick any from this list then we are in trouble. We clearly need bite, teeth and players who will not only turn skill on, but show positionally for the way up the pitch. We have tolerated shit midfielders for too long and it is many years since Michael Brown, possibly the last player who could do the job effectively, efficiently and for the shirt. 22 goals in one season tells it's own tale. Watching Norwood rocket that shot with his 'sweet feet' and 'wand of a right foot' into the kop today should finally drop the pennies for those amongst us who think he has a future at Bramall Lane next year.

Upsides though are that Brewster seems to be slowly maturing in both positional and directional sense, and that Robinson had a pretty decent game, capped by a well-deserved goal. We also got, and managed three points from today's outing and kept a clean sheet. We have a week off now before the chaos starts with a winnable awayday at Peterborough, a team we fucking demolished at BDTBL. I expect three points from that too, before that puts us in the mixer with the seven match flurry from which it is hard to see where the next set of points will emerge. There are 21 points to gain and ten would be nice, even if it clears us of any low-stomach-ache fears of being pulled into the outer rim of a relegation scrap. Historically, we've not done well from those.

Foderingham 7/10: Confident display and a really decent save low down to his left from Jerome
Bogle 8.5/10: MotM. Again, I reinforce that he is the only Wilder signing who has paid his transfer fee. He is industrious out on that flank and whilst untested defensively today, offers real, palpable threat with his ventures forward and into the opposition penalty area
Basham 7.5/10: Another pretty flawless performance from Mr Reliable. It comes to something when you are actually looking for something to downmark Basham, such is his contribution
Egan 6.5/10: Largely untested with high balls and longballs today, but pretty solid
Robinson 7.5/10: A really pleasing performance from C3PO. Worked fucking hard in his position and his levels of concentration are obviously improving. A well taken, if unchallenged goal but ... it sealed the win.
RND 6/10: Loses a point for his abject inability to drive the sword home. Fuck me he missed some today. Okay some hit their defenders but the last one was a roll across the box, knee-above-the-ball crack into the far corner
Norwood 5/10: In some areas of this match, Norwood was at 7/10 levels. He was intercepting, hitting pretty decent passes and contributing well to out system. Then he picks the ball up (as in the first half) and there's twenty fucking metres of empty pitch ahead of him, almost to the edge of their area, to run into. What does he do? Downshifts a gear and allows Luton to close him down. Fuck me. Michael Brown. That's all I have to day. In fact fuck this. Michael Doyle. Even he'd have ran into that empty space and made shit happen.
Hourihane 4/10: Still not good enough for me. Nesh, undercommitted and basically not good enough for this system or team
Ndaiye 8/10: Cracking outing from this lad. Seems to be the only conduit as to how and where we make real advances on the opposition. Carries the ball well and digs it out from challenges. Bit he is mission MGW badly.
Sharp 5/10: Grafted hard to make Luton work and was guilty of the wingers and midfield not finding him in space in the danger area. As ever, spent a lot of time fetching and carrying
Brewster 7.5/10: A possibly inflated mark for the kid but it seems with every game now, he is maturing steadily and understanding how the Sheffield United system works. Well taken goal and made the opposition work with (I don't care what you think) was a fucking nailed on red card.

Berge 3/10: Not sure what speed this bloke is set at, or if he's running round the car park before he is sent on. But he seems to be at a different, lower level of energy output every time I see him. Involved but ineffective. We need to get rid. Berge is never going to set the planet on fire for us, or for any team in the English Leagues. What a waste of money and supposed talent.

Overall a great win and good feeling of muted progress. We need to batter Posh next week to announce our resurgence because the upcoming programme is both punishing and relentless

pommpey

Sixtieth

pommpey

Mostly agree although I thought Norwood had an excellent game today, won his tackles for once and I thought his passing was progressive today rather than show pony, more like the Promotion season Norwood a 7.5 out of 10... Hourihane however is the worst possible partner he could have, we need a terrier along side Norwood, but we got away with it today.

Personally I thought Brewster was man of the match. He shot at every opportunity, he made a couple of tackles when he lost the ball and he looked like he's starting to enjoy it. Bogle flattered to deceive for me, out of position defensively a few times, had a few good mazy dribbles and looked lively as the game went on but it's hard to make too much of an assessment as they were fucking dog shit. Old, crusty, two week old white dog shit at that.

Agree about Hourihane though, fucking pansy.

I thought Norwood was a decent 7/10 today. But agree that with his passing ability, should really come some shooting ability, because that is generally wank.

Though Hourihane was ok, without being spectacular, he seemed to have been told to just ‘pass it simple’ today because this is really much of what he did.

Always enjoy your take Pompey. In my book Norwood was the stand out player on the park perhaps because he played like he did two seasons ago. Personally thought Berge was decent, otherwise in agreement. An enjoyable game for a change (and as for the beer and pork pie in the Fat Cat afterwards …)
Norwood was great. When he plays well we do.

pommpey
Thanks pommpey. Tad harsh on Norwood, Hourihane and Berge IMO. All of them frustrate me and are not the long-term answer, but I thought they were decent today, including Berge in his brief cameo.

Have to disagree with Norwood mark like everyone else has said above.

Feel that mark is pretty much pre empted before the game has even started.

He did exactly what needed to be done against 10 men and stretched them left and right.

Real quality quarterback performance today. 7/10 minimum tbh.

Norwood had a decent game, just needs to get more forward, sits too deep and slows it down at times
Sharp was poor, plenty of energy and effort, but no threat at all and far to slow at this level
Loads of home games coming up against all the top sides so going to be an interesting end of season in many ways

pommpey

Bit harsh on Berge for me otherwise pretty much as l saw it. Certainly understand the Norwood comments though.

Mostly agree although I thought Norwood had an excellent game today, won his tackles for once and I thought his passing was progressive today rather than show pony, more like the Promotion season Norwood a 7.5 out of 10... Hourihane however is the worst possible partner he could have, we need a terrier along side Norwood, but we got away with it today.

Norwood man of the match yesterday, great ball in for our 2nd goal and ran the show

pommpey
Fuck me is Norwood screwing your other half Bogle man of the match a bloke who can’t do the basics of his role which is defending he’s a shit storm constantly out of position as a wing back in the last third he can dribble but three times yesterday in overloads Bash pointed to where he wanted him to go between the lines for a pass and he stood never moved
Unbelievable Jeff

Brewster best performance in a United shirt. That is really goood news. Involved so much more than his early appearances. RND is my bogey man. I watched every touch closely and it was never better than just ok, frequently below par. Would like to see Ossy given a chance in that position with a rocket up his arse about end product. And, Ho Ho, we need to recruit for it asap.

What ? He ran the show when he came on

Fuck me is Norwood screwing your other half Bogle man of the match a bloke who can’t do the basics of his role which is defending he’s a shit storm constantly out of position as a wing back in the last third he can dribble but three times yesterday in overloads Bash pointed to where he wanted him to go between the lines for a pass and he stood never moved
Unbelievable Jeff
Punctuation?

Do you breathe in and out of your arse when speaking?

Unbelievable, Jeff!

pommpey

Agree with much of that but harsh on Norwood who was very good and Berge who was decent. Hourihane was the only poor performer I thought. Agree RND’s finishing was shocking.

What ? He ran the show when he came on
This, from Fallowfield, a man still convinced Olsen is the he best keeper at Sheffield United. *

pommpey

*nobody tell him. It would break his heart

Norwood man of the match yesterday, great ball in for our 2nd goal and ran the show
Did he?

The free kick was good, but not exactly a difficult one given every other time he's pumped it goalwards it's ended up in Row Z or hit the first man. And C3PO was unmarked. A free header.

As for 'running the show', nope. The best player for that was Ndaiye

pommpey

Usual Norwood bollocks then, clearly MOTM yesterday. Bogle's great going forward but can't defend for toffee.

Thought Berge did OK when he came on, but he was operating on the opposite side of the pitch to where I am so perhaps didn't have the best view. I don't think his languid style of movement helps with the perception that he's not putting effort in. He doesn't so much burst into/through space, he glides.

This, from Fallowfield, a man still convinced Olsen is the he best keeper at Sheffield United. *

pommpey

*nobody tell him. It would break his heart

He did run the show ? I’m not sure how you came to a 3.5 out of 10 he was very good when he came on

At the time Olsen was our best GK on paper by a mile , however wes has played well recently so is our number one.

It seems our fans like to like a player then be unable to have a balanced opinion on that player and be unable to change there opinion , Wes has done well but you get the feeling a clanger isn’t far away

He has dropped more big clangers than Olsen BTW this season

Last edited:

Ndaiye was ‘my’ man of the match forever running at the opposition but a agree with Pompey on the whole that said who was nervous when we were 2-0 up and they had a man sent off?

Back
Top Bottom