Media Coverage - Blades Ramble Spot On

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

For what it's worth, i think media coverage in the championship and lower down is much better as you get pundits/podcasters that actually have to pay attention and watch teams.

The premier league is more of a global league rather than an english league in my opinion (changing KO times without thinking of travelling fans is case in point) so they pander to the teams with the most global reach which is 'big 6'.

I don't watch him religiously but he seems a likeable enough bloke but lost a lot of credibility with his fawning over Dozy and also is a fully paid up schill for the prince ( I doubt he's actually been paid ) but last night there was someone commenting on how poor the transfer window has been handled and how little money has been spent given the sales of Ndaiye and Berge and the £170 mil premier windfall.
Jimmy dismissed this because you don't get all the £170 mill in a lump sum it's spread over three years if you're relegated, which is fair enough, but he then went onto list all the transfers in and the cost of those transfers £18 mill for Archer, £15 mill for Hamer etc etc without once mentioning that these transfer payments are also paid over the duration of the players contracts. So in fact the money actually spent is far less than he was claiming and further instalments should hopefully be covered by parachute payments if we are relegated.
Seems he wants to have his cake and eat it.
As for the media writing us off I personally couldn't care less. I love an under dog I do.

I don't understand why people get worked up about media not paying much attention. So what? Are we really wanting to hear someone who rarely watches our games in full speak about George Baldock?
We crave attention until they want to buy our players. It’s like everybody moaning about NDiaye not playing for Senegal…as soon as he does he’s linked with every Tom dick & Harry and fans get pissed off about it.

Stated by Jimmy and he’s absolutely right how the media dismissed United before we had even transferred out any players. Even though we have brought players that improve us little mention of it.

We got promoted automatically on merit but you would think we had been dropped in there as an afterthought

Cameron Archer his Premier League debut for us his wonderful strike and the second which was another wonderful strike, well he didn’t even get a mention on BBC match of the day.
Comments by pundits just dismissing us apart from Benjamin Bloom who looks at everything.

It’s all about the big six. It’s been like this for ages. The last time we got promoted totally dismissed and they were in deep shock that we were so good.

Talk sport Jacob’s what an absolute dick head

Tell you what Blades let’s shove it right up em as we gradually start to climb the table. We are going to shock a few along the way.

UTMB
agree with pretty much all of that other than the comments about our first season back last time, we had some great comments as the season went on from pretty much all quarters really.

Cmon Iliman thats absoloute toilet talk

Id go Ndaiye

Then Berge/Anel

Then the rest
Sandra is a good championship player and that's about it. Vastly over rated by some fans because he's 6ft4, played in the CL, plays for Norway, does a few bursting runs and every window linked with top European clubs that never actually make any bids.

I don't understand why people get worked up about media not paying much attention. So what? Are we really wanting to hear someone who rarely watches our games in full speak about George Baldock?
100% agree. Or bairning at being referred to as « Sheffield »

We’ve never been successful enough in the right era to be a nationaly popular team. Our most successful period was in the early 20th century. We have only had flashes of success since. For teams like us and there are many, I believe there needs to be an initial good story and then a period of consistency. Until we establish ourselves in the prem this meh attitude towards us will continue.
Very early 1970s, and relatively briefly.

Let’s be brutally honest here, Sheffield itself is a vastly underrated city. Sadly a general perception from outside the city still persists (as in Full Monty) of an old industrial town on its uppers and not a great place to visit. Also Sheffield doesn’t really thrust itself into the national consciousness like other more pro-active cities of of a similar size.
Going with these same old outdated tropes, I suppose many in the media still think of Wendy as being the “big team” in Sheffield.
So I suppose being an underrated team in an underrated city doesn’t really help us in the Premier league glamour stakes.

…Also, I guess in the past the we’ve been blessed (and blighted) to have been taken into the Premier league by three very charismatic managers in Bassett, Warnock and Wilder…Unfortunately for the media types…Hecky doesn’t hold that same fascination.

agree with pretty much all of that other than the comments about our first season back last time, we had some great comments as the season went on from pretty much all quarters really.
Not before that season started it’s just that we forced humble pie down their throats

I shouldn't be surprised at this point but I listened to bits of James Richardson's Totally Football podcast as they have timestamps for which game is being discussed.
Season preview and a preview episode and review episode for each weekend.
Without totting it up I've got roughly
  • All 9 episodes they successfully mentioned us by name
  • About 3 or 4 episodes they mentioned we will struggle terribly due to player sales
  • One nod to the fact we lost to Lincoln in the cup
  • One highly elaborate but brief mention of us signing Gus Hamer and him being a 'good player'
That is each and every input they've had about us. It's so low effort they really shouldn't bother. Seems pretty clear none of them have the slightest idea who plays for us or what we're like as a team.
I wouldn't mind but the people on these sorts of podcasts present themselves as some kind of football intellectuals. Benjamin Bloom blows them out the water.

If so called pundits want to write us off and make us the underdogs week in, week out.... then to be honest if don't give two tosses. In fact i somewhat prefer it to be that way...because we will go and shock some clubs.

I'm beginning to not like this Jimmy. His channel was a bit different to start with as he's a former scout so knows a few bits. But then it was all about getting likes and subscribers. Now he's selling merch. Then he's getting Darren on. And nowJonny from Shoreham View. He's getting popular people on to try and pump his own channel for monetary reasons rather than its original intention. And I was there from the start.

I'm a fully paid up member of the "no-one likes us, we don't care" club. 99% of the time I couldn't give a single shit what the media have to say about us, good or bad.

BUT.

I confess to being a little bit fucked off with some of the coverage so far this season. Yes we lost to City, but we gave a fucking good account of ourselves, and could have scraped a miraculous point if not for a bit of kamikaze defending. Yet MOTD that night stated that we have the worst chance of the 3 promoted sides of staying up!?

Why?

I think it's a lot to do with creating "stories" on telly and in the press. Burnley are obviously adored because their manager is a "legend" at one of the big 6, so they all want to hype him up as the next Mourinho and want to fawn over Burnley.

Luton have been hyped as some sort of fairytale. Non-league to the prem in 10 years, a player who's come all the way up with them etc etc. Trying to talk up their chances continues this narrative. It's far easier to get neutrals on board with a story like this, than it is to say "well they've done really well, but in honesty they'll probably go down again."

By contrast United were in the prem fairly recently. We had one great (half) season, then we got walloped most weeks the following year and went down. But given the money earned from 2 seasons in the prem, it's not a huge surprise to the wider football world that we've gone back up again. Not a lot of interest really. In a sense we should be flattered. We're not a fairytale, we're effectively (hopefully) now just seen as another yoyo Champ-Prem club, in a similar vein to Norwich. Nobody is surprised to see us up there, but as a newly promoted side with a relatively small budget, we're understandably among the favourites for the drop.

The main thing in all the media stuff that fucked me off was the punditry on motd after the Everton highlights. I've said it elsewhere, but to spend 5 mins spaffing themselves blind over Beto and Pickford, and completely blank Archer, was shocking.

Back
Top Bottom