McBurnie

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Everyone seems to laboring under the impression that we need a goalscorer. As Wilder has said, we do need goals, but his system requires a partnership to produce those goals. I admit that McBurnie has missed a few recently, but at least chances are being created.

Wider wants young, hungry players to mould and progress as part of the team spirit and ethos. McBurnie has shown enough for Wilder to realise that his contributions to the game overall, in defence, as well as attack, are getting better and he is getting chances.

In isolation he offers more than Sharp, and will surpass the creative opportunities that Didsy provides. Sharp and Didsy are just past their peak as goalscorers in a partnership. McBurnie, Brewster and Burke are only just starting out on that path.
The defence has been solid and reliable until JOC was injured and Stevens form dropped off a cliff., but the foundations are there.
Midfield is growing slowly but surely to service the new forward partnership. Look at the big picture. Defence sorted but interrupted. Midfield is getting there.

The strike partnership will come, when individuals click as a pairing, and it might be more flexible over time and against different opposition, or even when moose is fit for selection.

There are still plenty of issues for Wilder to work on, but on the whole, it looks like the future could be promising, just like McBurnie.

And in the meantime, we are going to get relegated.

Everyone seems to laboring under the impression that we need a goalscorer. As Wilder has said, we do need goals, but his system requires a partnership to produce those goals. I admit that McBurnie has missed a few recently, but at least chances are being created.

Wider wants young, hungry players to mould and progress as part of the team spirit and ethos. McBurnie has shown enough for Wilder to realise that his contributions to the game overall, in defence, as well as attack, are getting better and he is getting chances.

In isolation he offers more than Sharp, and will surpass the creative opportunities that Didsy provides. Sharp and Didsy are just past their peak as goalscorers in a partnership. McBurnie, Brewster and Burke are only just starting out on that path.
The defence has been solid and reliable until JOC was injured and Stevens form dropped off a cliff., but the foundations are there.
Midfield is growing slowly but surely to service the new forward partnership. Look at the big picture. Defence sorted but interrupted. Midfield is getting there.

The strike partnership will come, when individuals click as a pairing, and it might be more flexible over time and against different opposition, or even when moose is fit for selection.

There are still plenty of issues for Wilder to work on, but on the whole, it looks like the future could be promising, just like McBurnie.
Your enthusiasm is to be admired.

Time will tell if it turns out anything like you expect.

Based on the first few chapters, the story you so confidently foresee better get a whole lot better, and quickly !!

Time will tell 😉.

UTB

but I think you may agree we need a partnership to score goals and that is what the forwards principle job is.

No Wilder said he played well, a significant difference.
And it’s clearly over the top of more than a few on eres hids as to WHY he did so, above significant others who were more deserving of his praise on the night 😉.

UTB

i mean i would take karlan grant and he was 5m cheaper, crazy looking at the money we paid, although he is quite young so we were buying potential supposed
edits: cant believe grant is actually the same age... we definitely got mugged off

It will be interesting to see how Karlan Grant performs for WBA.

In an article in The Sunday Times this weekend, WBA’s CEO stated that WBA are operating on the smallest budget in the Premier League this season (so, it’s not us) and how they have to be ‘clever’ with transfers. Apparently, WBA have agreed to pay Huddersfield just under £15m for Grant, and have structured the deal so that it is paid in instalments over the course of the 6 year contract that they gave the player. In his view, therefore, they have added a promising young striker to the squad at a cost of “only £2.47m per season”.

The way that he put his laces through the ball for WBA’s goal last night, is certainly how players should finish. Some of our lads could do with doing the same when they get a sight of goal.

but I think you may agree we need a partnership to score goals and that is what the forwards principle job is.
If only you had completed that passage! The Sharp McGoldrick partnership reached its climax in the previous (championship) season. McBurnie’s best pairing it yet to be realized? I seriously doubt it will include Sharp or Mc Goldrick. I’m sure I don’t need to explain who the remaining young candidates might be?
Yes, a partnership, which I understand is an ongoing experiment at SUFC, to see which pairing might produce the most effective scoring partnership.
Maybe Wilder is using the Kane/Son partnership at Spurs, as his template. (Do you credit Poch with that, or has Jose found the key?)

Last edited:
If only you had completed that passage! The Sharp McGoldrick partnership reached its climax in the previous (championship) season. McBurnie’s best pairing it yet to be realized? I seriously doubt it will include Sharp or Mc Goldrick. I’m sure I don’t need to explain who the remaining young candidates might be?
Again. Confident assertions as regards the Sharp n Dids partnership that fired 38 Goals the ONLY time it has been allowed to show it’s true potency.

So your assertion is based on what ? Precisely what ? A hunch ? Towing the party line that legs “must” have gone by now 😀.

UTB

Again. Confident assertions as regards the Sharp n Dids partnership that fired 38 Goals the ONLY time it has been allowed to show it’s true potency.

So your assertion is based on what ? Precisely what ? A hunch ? Towing the party line that legs “must” have gone by now 😀.

UTB
My assertion is based on the building blocks available to the manager, in pursuit of such a partnership. The club policy remains one based on youth, with a point to prove. Where do Sharp and McGoldrick fit into that criteria?
As a club, we were fortunate to have enjoyed the fruits of that senior players partnership. It would seem counterintuitive to pursue that course, based on club policy and the age and likely availability of both those fantastic players.
The club cannot live on past glories. It needs new blood in order to grow organically. Keeping senior players around is an essential part of that growth process, but the delivery of that success is more likely to come from younger exponents of the craft, backed by senior players support and experience.
In short, I have assumed that Wilder knows what he is doing.

If only you had completed that passage! The Sharp McGoldrick partnership reached its climax in the previous (championship) season.
You've already been called out on this statement because it is a massive assumption.
McBurnie’s best pairing it yet to be realized? I seriously doubt it will include Sharp or Mc Goldrick.
Assumption again.
I’m sure I don’t need to explain who the remaining young candidates might be?
No you don't the unproven at this level Brewster (and has shown nothing yet in his 2 appearances) and Burke very fast but no end product as yet.
(And the injured Mousset.)
We need goals now, not next season.
McBurnie is out of form stick him on the bench, it's no hardship for anybody.
Brewster needs time to get up to the speed of the Prem and the fitness levels of United, playing him to look like a lost kid against European superpowers is not going to help his development.
The best partnership at this point in time is McG/Sharp, I know it's not great but it's the best we have.

Last edited:
My assertion is based on the building blocks available to the manager, in pursuit of such a partnership. The club policy remains one based on youth, with a point to prove. Where do Sharp and McGoldrick fit into that criteria?
As a club, we were fortunate to have enjoyed the fruits of that senior players partnership. It would seem counterintuitive to pursue that course, based on club policy and the age and likely availability of both those fantastic players.
The club cannot live on past glories. It needs new blood in order to grow organically. Keeping senior players around is an essential part of that growth process, but the delivery of that success is more likely to come from younger exponents of the craft, backed by senior players support and experience.
In short, I have assumed that Wilder knows what he is doing.
Which is precisely why Wilder publicly adopts a “short medium and long term” strategy. Eminently sensible.

Where do you think he / we should have our energies concentrated at this exact moment in time ?

Im going with hunch btw !

UTB

All fair points. But Sharp can't get shots off. He averages 1.5 shots per 90. Lundstram is above that.

Also, its now been 17 games since Billy scored from open play (he hasn't played in every game). Billy takes chances in theory. The last game of last season he should have had a hat trick by half time.

He scores goals from cut backs and poaching. We aren't creating those chances. Because if you look at McBurnie's last season at Swansea he also scored from cut backs. We haven't created a single chance like that all season
Well it will be 17 matches since he scored mainly because he's been sat on the bench. and he scores goals not in theory 99 up till now just for us.Can not see many of our other strikers getting anywhere near it no matter how long they are here. McBurnie should also have had a hat trick against Fulham before half time.If he ever scores a hat trick I shall run naked from the cop end to the Bramall Lane end.Now believe me you don't want to see that o_O ha ha

Well it will be 17 matches since he scored mainly because he's been sat on the bench. and he scores goals not in theory 99 up till now just for us.Can not see many of our other strikers getting anywhere near it no matter how long they are here. McBurnie should also have had a hat trick against Fulham before half time.If he ever scores a hat trick I shall run naked from the cop end to the Bramall Lane end.Now believe me you don't want to see that o_O ha ha
Not doubting Billy's past. Just his future. He's scored 4 in the PL, 3 from open play. He's not going to be the saviour. His goals per 90 minutes played by season since he came back - 0.5, 0.69, 0.5, 0.7. Then last season down to 0.26

I think in fairness to Billy he know he's only doing impact roles now, he knows his limitations he's 35 now, when he comes on he always gives his all. In the same vein McBurnie is a trier., sometimes tries too hard and he's always looking to score the "perfect" goal, he needs a change of luck.

It will come for him but don't think fans are patient enough for him to click, they see we've spent 17-20m on him and expect instant returns I fully expect fans to be moaning also if Brewster goes on a goalless run. Come the end of the season & Brewster & McBurnie have say 10 each and we're sat in 8th perhaps folk will look back and think, all that panic for nowt.

I have to be optimistic I stopped all the doom and gloom a long time ago, but yes if you want ulcers then United are the team to give them to you.

Not doubting Billy's past. Just his future. He's scored 4 in the PL, 3 from open play. He's not going to be the saviour. His goals per 90 minutes played by season since he came back - 0.5, 0.69, 0.5, 0.7. Then last season down to 0.26
I will agree with the fact his best days have gone ,thats why we have payed over 40 million quid for a replacement but it is not working .20 mill for McBurnie 20mill for Brewster 10 mill for the mouse and Billy who cost 500'000 grand many many years ago is still best at putting it away.He will be coming on with a Zimmer frame soon if we do not get some one else hitting the back of the net.Our defence kept us afloat last year but it has been weakend by the loss of our main defender so the strikers have got to do their job and up till now they have failed just like they did last year.

I think in fairness to Billy he know he's only doing impact roles now, he knows his limitations he's 35 now, when he comes on he always gives his all. In the same vein McBurnie is a trier., sometimes tries too hard and he's always looking to score the "perfect" goal, he needs a change of luck.

It will come for him but don't think fans are patient enough for him to click, they see we've spent 17-20m on him and expect instant returns I fully expect fans to be moaning also if Brewster goes on a goalless run. Come the end of the season & Brewster & McBurnie have say 10 each and we're sat in 8th perhaps folk will look back and think, all that panic for nowt.

I have to be optimistic I stopped all the doom and gloom a long time ago, but yes if you want ulcers then United are the team to give them to you.
I agree it is bloody hard work being a Blade .I do not agree that McBurnie is still bedding in ,he's had nearly a full season now and still looks no where near solving our goal scoring problem.He works hard perhaps more than any other player on the pitch but he can not hit the net and that is why we spent all that money on him.

I will agree with the fact his best days have gone ,thats why we have payed over 40 million quid for a replacement but it is not working .20 mill for McBurnie 20mill for Brewster 10 mill for the mouse and Billy who cost 500'000 grand many many years ago is still best at putting it away.He will be coming on with a Zimmer frame soon if we do not get some one else hitting the back of the net.Our defence kept us afloat last year but it has been weakend by the loss of our main defender so the strikers have got to do their job and up till now they have failed just like they did last year.
Bit harsh on Brewster!

I disagree with everything you've written except the last sentence (even Sharp's age).

Have to say Burkes record of goal scoring is not giving me much confidence either.I am not normally full of woe please believe I DO WISH ALL OUR STRIKERS PROVE ME SO WRONG i REALLY DO . I am really looking forward to McBurnie scoring a hat trick against Man city this weekend and having to accept I was wrong about him .Now where did I put my tablets?

I disagree with everything you've written except the last sentence (even Sharp's age).

That is your prerogative to disagree wow got Billy's age wrong by a few months, get to my age it becomes immaterial, so are you one that subscribes to the relegation theory? That is a genuine question don't try to psychoanalyse it please, plus Billy is what 4 months off 35.

That is your prerogative to disagree wow got Billy's age wrong by a few months, get to my age it becomes immaterial, so are you one that subscribes to the relegation theory? That is a genuine question don't try to psychoanalyse it please, plus Billy is what 4 months off 35.
I think we have to solve our scoring problem like NOW if we are to pull clear .Our defence has been weakend having lost our best defender and our defence last year was our strength so it is more important than last year to get our strikers scoring.I also think we have the best manager to see the job through, would not want anyone else in his seat.

You've already been called out on this statement because it is a massive assumption.

Assumption again.

No you don't the unproven at this level Brewster (and has shown nothing yet in his 2 appearances) and Burke very fast but no end product as yet.
(And the injured Mousset.)
We need goals now, not next season.
McBurnie is out of form stick him on the bench, it's no hardship for anybody.
Brewster needs time to get up to the speed of the Prem and the fitness levels of United, playing him to look like a lost kid against European superpowers is not going to help his development.
The best partnership at this point in time is McG/Sharp, I know it's not great but it's the best we have.

Thing is though, you say we can't gamble on Brewster, because he's unproven at this level then and use that as an argument to play Sharp and McGoldrick. You also say we shouldn't play McBurnie, because of his lack of goal scoring form.

Where that argument falls down is that neither Sharp or McGoldrick are proven premier league goal scorers either. If anything they've proven the opposite. They've scored 7 goals between them, in the last season and a bit. Admittedly Sharp spent a lot of time on the bench and played just over 1000 premier league minutes, but still not a good return.

We know Brewster is a gamble, but he is highly rated and could become a proven goal scorer at this level, given McGoldrick and Sharp's age, they're highly unlikely to.

I think we have to solve our scoring problem like NOW if we are to pull clear .Our defence has been weakend having lost our best defender and our defence last year was our strength so it is more important than last year to get our strikers scoring.I also think we have the best manager to see the job through, would not want anyone else in his seat.

I know we have to score more go and see CW cos he's as baffled as us, our defence is non too shabby even though lost JoC. We have to stop just humping ball to McBurnie it's obvious he prefers it on floor, our midfield need to step up also and start creating and scoring. When like in past you have a team that scores for fun as we once were, you need goals all over the park not just attackers.

Have to say Burkes record of goal scoring is not giving me much confidence either.I am not normally full of woe please believe I DO WISH ALL OUR STRIKERS PROVE ME SO WRONG i REALLY DO . I am really looking forward to McBurnie scoring a hat trick against Man city this weekend and having to accept I was wrong about him .Now where did I put my tablets?
Although the figures say you are right Burke has never had the responsibility of being a regular goal scorer. He started as a winger & in his last season was used as a right wing back. Wilder bought him because of his physical attributes & has gambled on the coaching staff being able to teach him how to do that, but it will not happen overnight, if we hadn't had so many injuries I doubt he would have been anywhere near the first team for quite a while yet so I think it is unfair expecting him to be scoring freely just yet.

Ok
McBurnie isn't trying to score the perfect goal he's trying to score any goal, Tony Yeboah (Leeds) tried to score perfect goals and started fluffing/avoiding simple ones. At the moment McBurnie isn't even hitting the target.
It will come for him but don't think fans are patient enough for him to click, they see we've spent 17-20m on him and expect instant returns I fully expect fans to be moaning also if Brewster goes on a goalless run.
It will come back to him but relying on him is only going to put more pressure on him, bench him it takes the pressure off.
Come the end of the season & Brewster & McBurnie have say 10 each and we're sat in 8th perhaps folk will look back and think, all that panic for nowt.
the way to achieve this if it's going to happen is be allowing these guys to build confidence, playing an out of form player and one who is not up to speed against the toughest teams in the league is more likely to destroy their confidence. At least if we play McG/Sharp they are stronger characters whether that's an age thing, who knows?

Through all your comments you state this and that about McBurnie why not write to Mr Wilder with your views, it's a case of he almost has to play McBurnie I mean sadly Moose is the the proverbial women's product ATM.

Thing is though, you say we can't gamble on Brewster, because he's unproven at this level then and use that as an argument to play Sharp and McGoldrick. You also say we shouldn't play McBurnie, because of his lack of goal scoring form.

Where that argument falls down is that neither Sharp or McGoldrick are proven premier league goal scorers either. If anything they've proven the opposite. They've scored 7 goals between them, in the last season and a bit. Admittedly Sharp spent a lot of time on the bench and played just over 1000 premier league minutes, but still not a good return.

We know Brewster is a gamble, but he is highly rated and could become a proven goal scorer at this level, given McGoldrick and Sharp's age, they're highly unlikely to.
We're not looking for proven scorers we're looking for the best option United have, I've stated what it is and it really is a default in that the other 3 really aren't the answer at this point in time. Also it doesn't matter if Brewster scores 30 goals next season if he doesn't score them this season, my opinion is he will become as consistent a scorer as Sharp but whether he'll be able to cut it at the EPL level remains to be seen.

Through all your comments you state this and that about McBurnie why not write to Mr Wilder with your views, it's a case of he almost has to play McBurnie I mean sadly Moose is the the proverbial women's product ATM.
Daft comment. This is a forum for fans to express their opinions, if Wilder is looking for answers because he's drawn a blank he's free to observe these forums like anybody else but I doubt he would even read any comments directed to him.

Back
Top Bottom