McBurnie

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Calvert-Lewin is one of the best athletes in the whole league though. He's got a margin for error that McBurnie will never have unfortunately
He is now, he wasn't before mate. From scrawny lad to impressive athlete, his potential now is huge. He's winning me over.

From scrawny to athlete, there's a point...crack on Oli! 😂

My Swans mate says McBurnie is a good player and will do well for us

I sincerely hope they're right mate. I really do, I think we need to play him as a Sharp-eque prime goalhanger though, than as a dropping deep, back to goal forward as has been said elsewhere on this thread. He isn't the build of a target man and likely will never be.

He is now, he wasn't before mate. From scrawny lad to impressive athlete, his potential now is huge. He's winning me over.

From scrawny to athlete, there's a point...crack on Oli! 😂

I sincerely hope they're right mate. I really do, I think we need to play him as a Sharp-eque prime goalhanger though, than as a dropping deep, back to goal forward as has been said elsewhere on this thread. He isn't the build of a target man and likely will never be.
Didn't Usworth always say he was an amazing athlete? Could jump higher than anyone his age group etc

Give Burke a chance! He has played only a few games for us so far! Robinson played 17 games for us and scored only once!

Well said.

In any case, I’m not sure Burke vs Robinson is a fair comparison. Robinson wasn’t with us from January. A fairer comparison, in terms of our relative strength compared to end of last season, might be Burke vs Zivcovic, and Brewster vs Leon.

On that basis, and assuming we can ever get the ball in the net again from open play, on balance (and on paper) we are surely stronger up top now than we were in July? Minus Moose.

None of which should obscure the fact that Leon Clarke is The Eternal Holy Godhead of Soccerball Strikerdom, and that we should have retained him on a lifelong contract. Also, bring back Porter too, ffs Wilder.

I’ll admit that I only read the first two pages of this thread because i was tired of all the nitpicking and sniping at each other. What I will say though about Mcburnie is that even in the first two pages I read an awful lot of bullshit.

It isn’t ‘his job to score goals’. That’s an incredibly naive way of looking at the game and just makes you look like a clown that hasn’t got a clue. It’s the 11 players plus substitutes job to win games. It’s incredibly narrow minded to just look at the abbreviation before a player’s name to assume what their sole task is in a game eg: CDM (tackle), RWB (run), LW (cross it in). We’ve been playing such an intricate style of football for the last 4 years, it makes me wonder if you’ve been paying attention at all. You wouldn’t slag him off for heading a corner away because he should be up the other end scoring a goal.

His link up play has been really good in the last two games. He’s contributed a lot to 120 minutes of great football. He wins literally everything in the air. It isn’t his fault we isolate him and keep hitting it long.

Yes I understand he has missed some big chances, but he’s played very well. The misses have come because he has zero confidence in front of goal, probably because the fans are so obviously on his back.

We will get the best out of him when we play a double pivot of Ampadu and Berge, with mcgoldrick as the 10 and a partner alongside him.

The goals will come and you’ll all look and feel pretty silly for 95% of the comments in this thread.

If you argument is: ‘he can’t score goals’ you’re an idiot because he can, and has.

If your argument is ‘but not at this level’ you’re an idiot, because the nets don’t get smaller the higher up you go. He has managed to work himself into those chances but the goals haven’t come. Your question and thought process should be ‘why hasn’t he scored those chances?’ Because the answer isn’t ‘because he can’t finish’ as is proven by his record, so we have to ask why. Is he being asked to concentrate on being a target man too much? Is his confidence shot? If so, why? Does he have problems in his personal life? Is he unhappy at the club? Or is it more just as simple as that he wasn’t concentrating enough?

A few connected facts to pay heed to:

• His arial duel success rate is the highest in the league.
  • wilder has a track record of bombing players that aren’t doing what is asked of them pretty quickly.
  • wilder hasn’t bombed him yet.

Perhaps he is doing everything asked of him and it’s actually his direction which should be questioned. Just food for thought.

I'm a McBurnie fan, and local Oli sticker-upper, but did anyone notice the video posted on Instagram yesterday where he boasts that he never sprints.
It was probably in jest, but as he said it (to Ampadu when they were discussing who was faster) I thought what an odd thing to say.
An underpeforming striker, in a slow starting team, explains to his team mates (and so the camera can hear) that he only puts maximum effort into running a couple of times a season.

You don't make it easy for me to fight your corner at times mate.

• His aerial duel success rate is the highest in the league.
This is a defence stat not a forward stat. Against Liverpool fair play he won some knock ons- but note Virgil wasn't there- their backline was not powerful.

Against the proper centre backs he looks weak. He generally looks weak and pathetic he ambles about with an extremely lazy gait.

If he scores loads of goals we will all gladly eat humble pie and change our tunes, probably kiss his feet and tell him the caterpillar on his lip lokes lovely, but from what I can see that pie will be in the fridge a long time.

He is not as good as Gary Madine sadly.

This is a defence stat not a forward stat. Against Liverpool fair play he won some knock ons- but note Virgil wasn't there- their backline was not powerful.

Against the proper centre backs he looks weak. He generally looks weak and pathetic he ambles about with an extremely lazy gait.

If he scores loads of goals we will all gladly eat humble pie and change our tunes, probably kiss his feet and tell him the caterpillar on his lip lokes lovely, but from what I can see that pie will be in the fridge a long time.

Is that stat even true? I know he's won the most headers in the league, but he might have lost 10,000 headers for all we know. That wouldn't be a good success rate.

Is that stat even true? I know he's won the most headers in the league, but he might have lost 10,000 headers for all we know. That wouldn't be a good success rate.
Well that's kinda the idea with footballing stats, just take them with a pinch of salt.

Believe me, Grealish isn't really the most fouled player in the Premiership.

I'm a McBurnie fan, and local Oli sticker-upper, but did anyone notice the video posted on Instagram yesterday where he boasts that he never sprints.
It was probably in jest, but as he said it (to Ampadu when they were discussing who was faster) I thought what an odd thing to say.
An underpeforming striker, in a slow starting team, explains to his team mates (and so the camera can hear) that he only puts maximum effort into running a couple of times a season.

You don't make it easy for me to fight your corner at times mate.
I took it to mean in training he doesn't sprint. But then again, I'm also a McBurnie fan. I think the ongoing debate over him highlights just how simplistically some people can view football.

Apologists central.

All aboard 😀.

UTB
Could you start a Billy Sharp apologists thread so we can all post on there?

4 Goals and 2 assists in 29 appearances, 1,183 minutes. So he scores a non-penalty goal every 394 minutes. A goal every 13 appearances.

Or, you could stop being a WUM? Just a thought?

Could you start a Billy Sharp apologists thread so we can all post on there?

4 Goals and 2 assists in 29 appearances, 1,183 minutes. So he scores a non-penalty goal every 394 minutes. A goal every 13 appearances.

Or, you could stop being a WUM? Just a thought?

No.

UTB

Think it was in reference to timed sprints in training not on pitch work as ampadu was winding him up about his time being better
I wonder who is the slowest of the lot of em ?

Mind boggles 😉.

UTB

It’ll be McBurnie as in every training video he’s jogging everywhere 😂 but he’s no slouch on the pitch is fit enough to complete 90 mins and wilder is clearly happy with his effort so that’s good enough for me
Must be saving it for match days eh. ?

Makes sense 👍.

UTB

For what it’s worth I think we have already seen considerable development from McBurnie since he’s arrived. When he came he was playing a free role up front for Swansea roaming to get on the ball and influence play able to drop off defenders. When he came to us he wasn’t fit or strong enough to play the role we clearly want him too which is a complete 9 and was consistently being bullied by defenders every week he is now winning a league leading amount of aerial duels and is a real handful. The next stage in his development is being clinical and selfish at times and backing himself in front of goal if he can take that step he’ll be some player.

He did win a lot of headers at Anfield but he was up against a make shift center back .Why can he not win headers in the oppositions area from corners?The few times he wins these headers they are usually well of target or put nice and gently in to the goalies arms.

Back
Top Bottom