McBurnie

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It doesn’t sit well that his legs went 3 years ago.

Except they didn’t and a boatload of goals ensued that added to the custard pies dished out season after season 😀

Remains our most complete outright CF and our best chance of goals.

Put him alongside Dids or an up to speed Brewster, and feel the difference.

UTB
It's chicken and egg though with Sharp. He may be our best finisher but our play would be immeasurably worse with him playing regularly, the involvement stats tell you all you need to know. Even your fabled pass completion stats don't lie, Sharp is involved about half as much as McBurnie (~17 passes/90 mins against 30+, from memory)

The issue with the forwards starts with the midfield as playing the flat three means there's a chasm between the front two and the midfielders. McGoldrick is the best at linking the two areas, McBurnie probably second best and to be absolutely clear while McBurnie's not great, Sharp is probably fundamentally incapable of playing that role

That's just a narrative though. And personally I don't feel like that. He's scored 3 goals from open play in 1200 PL minutes
And how's that compare to the number of goals the other two have scored in how many mins.?

What's going on Carlts? Saying he doesn't bring much else take a look at the Wolves game extended highlights.
The Wolves game this season? He picked up two or three excellent positions in the box and was incapable of playing simple square passes with his left foot to set up chances. Or get a shot off.

He puts 100% effort in. He really, really cares. His all round play and fitness are better than they've ever been. But if he starts the game he just gets swallowed up by bigger, stronger, faster defenders.

He'll never hide and you'll get the limit of his abilities. But, just in my opinion, it's not going to give us positive value

Crikey those highlights must've been put together by Sharp himself, he looked decent tried to get crosses in and was probably the best crosser and was certainly the most effective striker but yeah it was only 10 minutes of the match so may have screwed up the rest of the time.

And how's that compare to the number of goals the other two have scored in how many mins.?
Moose is best comfortably. McBurnie is as bad as Sharp. But he gets off almost 3 times as many shots per 90 minutes, wins more battles and is involved more.

It's two suboptimal options but I believe McBurnie offers more and is most likely to improve over the season

Crikey those highlights must've been put together by Sharp himself, he looked decent tried to get crosses in and was probably the best crosser and was certainly the most effective striker but yeah it was only 10 minutes of the match so may have screwed up the rest of the time.
I'm not trying to say Sharp is a massive negative. Every time Callum Robinson was in the pitch except Chelsea away we were basically playing with 10. Billy is streets ahead of that. I just think he doesn't bring anything like the value McBurnie or McGoldrick do.

But I also think you can at least count on Billy to give you a 6/10 every game. McBurnie ranges from 2/10 - 8/10

I'd just like to see McBurnie going for a header on goal and actually getting a good, clean head on it, instead of mistiming it with the ball hitting his neck or shoulder. Likewise making a full connection with his boot rather than his heel or, as happened last season, missing the ball completely with his swinging foot, as it hits his standing leg and bobbles out for a goalkick. This is exactly the sort of Sunday league quality that I could bring to the side and I sure as hell wouldn't cost upward of £18m.

I'd just like to see McBurnie going for a header on goal and actually getting a good, clean head on it, instead of mistiming it with the ball hitting his neck or shoulder. Likewise making a full connection with his boot rather than his heel or, as happened last season, missing the ball completely with his swinging foot, as it hits his standing leg and bobbles out for a goalkick. This is exactly the sort of 'quality' that I could bring to the side and I sure as well wouldn't cost upward of £18m.
This is a great summation of the biggest issue with McBurnie. His timing is horrendous. Its like his co-ordination is a bit off. Or he's drunk 😂

Moose is best comfortably. McBurnie is as bad as Sharp. But he gets off almost 3 times as many shots per 90 minutes, wins more battles and is involved more.

It's two suboptimal options but I believe McBurnie offers more and is most likely to improve over the season
The difference is Sharps shots usually hit the back of the net .McBurnie's don 't hit the target or are straight at the goalie.Yes he works hard and is really good at defending corners but no good at attacking corners at the other end.WE HAVE TO START SCORING GOALS AND STOP WASTING CHANCE AFTER CHANCE and he is the main culprit .The matches so far this season have been there to win ,a failure in front of goal is our downfall and cost us lots of points and it is fair to say he has missed more than anyone else.

The difference is Sharps shots usually hit the back of the net .McBurnie's don 't hit the target or are straight at the goalie.Yes he works hard and is really good at defending corners but no good at attacking corners at the other end.WE HAVE TO START SCORING GOALS AND STOP WASTING CHANCE AFTER CHANCE and he is the main culprit .The matches so far this season have been there to win ,a failure in front of goal is our downfall and cost us lots of points and it is fair to say he has missed more than anyone else.
All fair points. But Sharp can't get shots off. He averages 1.5 shots per 90. Lundstram is above that.

Also, its now been 17 games since Billy scored from open play (he hasn't played in every game). Billy takes chances in theory. The last game of last season he should have had a hat trick by half time.

He scores goals from cut backs and poaching. We aren't creating those chances. Because if you look at McBurnie's last season at Swansea he also scored from cut backs. We haven't created a single chance like that all season

He brings us HOPE that there is a chance that we might score.When we played McBurnie and Burke at Liverpool when we were chasing the game there was no hope of us scoring.That's the difference between Sharp and our other strikers.
We looked more like scoring in the last 20 minutes than in the previous 20.

It's chicken and egg though with Sharp. He may be our best finisher but our play would be immeasurably worse with him playing regularly, the involvement stats tell you all you need to know. Even your fabled pass completion stats don't lie, Sharp is involved about half as much as McBurnie (~17 passes/90 mins against 30+, from memory)

The issue with the forwards starts with the midfield as playing the flat three means there's a chasm between the front two and the midfielders. McGoldrick is the best at linking the two areas, McBurnie probably second best and to be absolutely clear while McBurnie's not great, Sharp is probably fundamentally incapable of playing that role
Granted Sharp works best when his supply is of a high standard. It’s a limitation all things considered in that he rarely makes things happen himself.

But you are far too dismissive of his attributes as a target man outlet.

Much better than folks are happy to accept. IMHO.

UTB

I think bringing Billy into the argument is just a red herring, the real problem is McBurnie,. He wasn't bought to make chances for other players, he was bought to put those chances away, and no matter how you look at it of late he's been just awful when given good chances to do that,
He's had enough time here now to settle in and maybe he has in his outfield play, but on the scoring front, the job he was bought for, he seems to be going backwards......

I think bringing Billy into the argument is just a red herring, the real problem is McBurnie,. He wasn't bought to make chances for other players, he was bought to put those chances away, and no matter how you look at it of late he's been just awful when given good chances to do that,
He's had enough time here now to settle in and maybe he has in his outfield play, but on the scoring front, the job he was bought for, he seems to be going backwards......
He was bought to do both. As could be expected of any decent CF.

Alas ........

UTB

We looked more like scoring in the last 20 minutes than in the previous 20.

In the same way that Jamal Campbell-Rice was a constant attacking threat, no end product though.
McBurnie can finish, but is struggling just now. Burke on the other hand is an incredible athlete, but his head can't keep up with his body.

Couldn’t agree more. His job is to score goals and he doesn’t. The chance against Liverpool a typical example.

Couldnt believe the praise he got off Wilder, others in the team deserved singling out before him, Osbourne being one for example.

I just can’t take to him. He just looks clumsy everytime I watch him and I never think he’s going to put it in the back of the net when he gets a decent chance.

Would love it if he were to prove me wrong but don’t see it happening.

3 times. Really ?

Same as it turns out. 1 every 43 mins for both.

I’d give Boris a ring if I was you sunshine. He could do with someone like you 😀

UTB
2DF7BD80-6698-40C7-9398-3A1F697CAE41.png

B7AA9000-60D2-4E77-B3C9-876165BA1EB8.pngB7AA9000-60D2-4E77-B3C9-876165BA1EB8.png

While it’s one isolated incident, that in the scheme of things amounted to fuck all, watch McB take his penalty in the cup game shoot out.

It absolutely in an instant tells anyone that knows anything about the game of football everything that you could possibly wish to know about our star striker.

UTB

Attachments

• A582CB10-D9FB-4878-9A99-C4C907F01C31.jpeg
    A582CB10-D9FB-4878-9A99-C4C907F01C31.jpeg
    41.1 KB · Views: 42
Do you think many people would still choose him over Maupay? Or Watkins, or Callum Wilson for that matter?
i mean i would take karlan grant and he was 5m cheaper, crazy looking at the money we paid, although he is quite young so we were buying potential supposed
edits: cant believe grant is actually the same age... we definitely got mugged off

Everyone seems to laboring under the impression that we need a goalscorer. As Wilder has said, we do need goals, but his system requires a partnership to produce those goals. I admit that McBurnie has missed a few recently, but at least chances are being created.

Wider wants young, hungry players to mould and progress as part of the team spirit and ethos. McBurnie has shown enough for Wilder to realise that his contributions to the game overall, in defence, as well as attack, are getting better and he is getting chances.

In isolation he offers more than Sharp, and will surpass the creative opportunities that Didsy provides. Sharp and Didsy are just past their peak as goalscorers in a partnership. McBurnie, Brewster and Burke are only just starting out on that path.
The defence has been solid and reliable until JOC was injured and Stevens form dropped off a cliff., but the foundations are there.
Midfield is growing slowly but surely to service the new forward partnership. Look at the big picture. Defence sorted but interrupted. Midfield is getting there.

The strike partnership will come, when individuals click as a pairing, and it might be more flexible over time and against different opposition, or even when moose is fit for selection.

There are still plenty of issues for Wilder to work on, but on the whole, it looks like the future could be promising, just like McBurnie.

Couldn’t agree more. His job is to score goals and he doesn’t. The chance against Liverpool a typical example.

Couldnt believe the praise he got off Wilder, others in the team deserved singling out before him, Osbourne being one for example.

I just can’t take to him. He just looks clumsy everytime I watch him and I never think he’s going to put it in the back of the net when he gets a decent chance.

Would love it if he were to prove me wrong but don’t see it happening.
Well you must know more ? Utb

Back
Top Bottom