McBurnie

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Although the figures say you are right Burke has never had the responsibility of being a regular goal scorer. He started as a winger & in his last season was used as a right wing back. Wilder bought him because of his physical attributes & has gambled on the coaching staff being able to teach him how to do that, but it will not happen overnight, if we hadn't had so many injuries I doubt he would have been anywhere near the first team for quite a while yet so I think it is unfair expecting him to be scoring freely just yet.

wilder signed Burke because that was the only way to get rid of Robinson.

Burke is not, and has never been, a striker.

If anything Burke so far been a revelation- he's twice the player Callum Robinson will ever be. Agreed not a striker- but he offers so much more than McB. He deffo does press properly unlike McB and so far for me is a positive of the season.

The headless chicken tag is a low shot- he's a lot better than that and so far this business transaction we got the better deal.

People slating McBurnies lack of goals need to realise that the way we are setup at the moment doesn't make it easy for any striker to thrive.

Since we switched to a flat 3 midfield goals have been hard to come by because we effectively swapped Lundstram for Duffy. That tactic served us well but it has meant that chances created down the middle have dried up and we rely on winning games by slim margins and a good defensive record.

We've also seen a drop in form from Enda while Baldock has never been gifted at getting crosses in so our chances created from wide positions has also dried up too.

Less chances created (wide & centrally) means McBurnie is playing deeper and with his back to goal. It's a vicious cycle. My suggestion would be to play Berge in the 'Duffy role' with Norwood & Ampadu behind him.

Strikers aren't taught, they can improve with age and experience, but being a good strikers is all about instinct, and you've either got that in you or you just kick it and hope for the best .
Which is just what McBurnie is doing right now, when what he should be doing is believe in himself and trust in the force ..... ;)

Daft comment. This is a forum for fans to express their opinions, if Wilder is looking for answers because he's drawn a blank he's free to observe these forums like anybody else but I doubt he would even read any comments directed to him.

I expressed my opinions you said you disagreed so I ventured into conversation, it seems I'm not allowed a comment but you are. Sadly it seems to me that you are devoid of having a decent conversation and just keep shouting your opinions over the table, shame I bet that a reight nice bloke at heart.

I expressed my opinions you said you disagreed so I ventured into conversation, it seems I'm not allowed a comment but you are. Sadly it seems to me that you are devoid of having a decent conversation and just keep shouting your opinions over the table, shame I bet that a reight nice bloke at heart.
Again you are right with the very last bit!

People slating McBurnies lack of goals need to realise that the way we are setup at the moment doesn't make it easy for any striker to thrive.

Since we switched to a flat 3 midfield goals have been hard to come by because we effectively swapped Lundstram for Duffy. That tactic served us well but it has meant that chances created down the middle have dried up and we rely on winning games by slim margins and a good defensive record.

We've also seen a drop in form from Enda while Baldock has never been gifted at getting crosses in so our chances created from wide positions has also dried up too.

Less chances created (wide & centrally) means McBurnie is playing deeper and with his back to goal. It's a vicious cycle. My suggestion would be to play Berge in the 'Duffy role' with Norwood & Ampadu behind him.

100% this. Without question.

I'd be interested in Swans fans' views on McBurnie's progress, after all, he was their star player whom they didn't want to lose.

Clearly he hasn't stepped up yet - are they surprised by that, did they expect it? Do they see his plateaued form as being due to his limitations our our fault, tactically?

Gu on Royston, go digging. 😉 Roygbiv

I'd be interested in Swans fans' views on McBurnie's progress, after all, he was their star player whom they didn't want to lose.

Clearly he hasn't stepped up yet - are they surprised by that, did they expect it? Do they see his plateaued form as being due to his limitations our our fault, tactically?

100% with Question. Lots of them in fact.

All covered off by the inescapable truth that technically (and understanding everything that this is taken to mean) he is, I’ll be kind, not great !!

UTB

100% with Question. Lots of them in fact.

All covered off by the inescapable truth that technically (and understanding everything that this is taken to mean) he is, I’ll be kind, not great !!

UTB

I'm hesitant to put this, but he's got an awful lot of work to do begin justifying that price tag now.

The most commonly cited comparison is Everton with Calvert-Lewin. The difference there being that he was a miniscule outlay in comparison, not £20m and before anyone questions it, I want him to come good.

Jesus, this thread has it's ups and downs and some very severe turns doesn't it.
So, my take on this is......
Yes we need goals, for that to happen we need to shoot, which we don't seem very good at so far.
We need to find our best pairing up top, I say pairing, but I'd like to see the "Duffy role" brought back, I think that's the way we break this duck.
So, if we go with Brewster/Mcburnie we need the link up of Didzy behind, if we play Burke/Mcburnie we need Didzy behind, if we play Mcburnie/Didzy, we need ................. behind..... who fits in if Didzy isn't there??
I think wilder is right to move Lunny out if he doesn't want to be a Blade, but I also think he needs to replace him with another "Duffy" type player to fill the void, find some goals, and add creativity and spark.

There seems to be a feeling that we are not creating chances which i find strange. Am I on my own when I think we are creating lots of chances we just are not taking them.We should have been three up at half time against Fulham and at Anfield we created more than enough to level the score line but once again did not take them.

Where has the general consensus come from that Burke isn't good in front of goal?
I haven't seen much evidence for that yet. What chances has he missed?

As things stand, I think he needs to be starting. In every game he's played he's caused chaos & had what should have been (if we could finish, score penalties, or if referees followed their own laws) game changing impacts.

I'm hesitant to put this, but he's got an awful lot of work to do begin justifying that price tag now.

The most commonly cited comparison is Everton with Calvert-Lewin. The difference there being that he was a miniscule outlay in comparison, not £20m and before anyone questions it, I want him to come good.
Calvert-Lewin is one of the best athletes in the whole league though. He's got a margin for error that McBurnie will never have unfortunately

Where has the general consensus come from that Burke isn't good in front of goal?

As things stand, I think he needs to be starting. In every game he's played he's caused chaos & had what should have been (if we could finish, score penalties, or if referees followed their own laws) game changing impacts.
He's awkward looking on the ball so I think the assumption is he won't be able to finish.

We don't know yet

He won a lot in the air.... Got fouled for the pen... Missed a very good chance... He's not a premier league striker he's league 1 or lower championship level unfortunately for us
League One? He scored 24 goals in the Championship hence why we signed him hahaha

Living up to your username I see

He's awkward looking on the ball so I think the assumption is he won't be able to finish.

We don't know yet

He seems to strike a ball quite cleanly. Doesn't immediately look like a player that suffers from nerves. My hunch is that his finishing will be alright.

Whether he gets himself on the end of opportunities is a different matter. He's new to the forward role so that will take time. I'd really like us to persist with him as I think he has the attributes to be really, really good. Unfortunately we're probably not in a position to persist with anything that isn't immediately working. Will be interesting to see how Wilder plays it.

I'd love to see Mousset & Burke up front, fit & firing. That would be terrifying.

He seems to strike a ball quite cleanly. Doesn't immediately look like a player that suffers from nerves. My hunch is that his finishing will be alright.

Whether he gets himself on the end of opportunities is a different matter. He's new to the forward role so that will take time. I'd really like us to persist with him as I think he has the attributes to be really, really good. Unfortunately we're probably not in a position to persist with anything that isn't immediately working. Will be interesting to see how Wilder plays it.

I'd love to see Mousset & Burke up front, fit & firing. That would be terrifying.
His complete inability to time a jump for a header is a problem in a team that likes to go direct.

And although he strikes the ball ok, I do think he looks liable to fall over at any point. If he ever could harness his physical ability properly he could be very good. We'll have to see

My Swans mate says McBurnie is a good player and will do well for us

He’s got no record of scoring goals consistently.

he’s had 3 shots and 2 of them ended up in the stands.

He’s not a striker and has never really played as one.

The comparison with DCL is somewhat unfair as it would have been impossible to think he would have an England cap by now.

But it does show how bad our recruitment at the top of the pitch has been thus far, with only Dids being anything like a success as things stand.

UTB

Jesus, this thread has it's ups and downs and some very severe turns doesn't it.
So, my take on this is......
Yes we need goals, for that to happen we need to shoot, which we don't seem very good at so far.
We need to find our best pairing up top, I say pairing, but I'd like to see the "Duffy role" brought back, I think that's the way we break this duck.
So, if we go with Brewster/Mcburnie we need the link up of Didzy behind, if we play Burke/Mcburnie we need Didzy behind, if we play Mcburnie/Didzy, we need ................. behind..... who fits in if Didzy isn't there??
I think wilder is right to move Lunny out if he doesn't want to be a Blade, but I also think he needs to replace him with another "Duffy" type player to fill the void, find some goals, and add creativity and spark.
Here’s a thought.

Don’t have McB as your constant. That’s advice for the gaffer as much as it is for you !!!

UTB

He’s got no record of scoring goals consistently.

he’s had 3 shots and 2 of them ended up in the stands.

He’s not a striker and has never really played as one.

It doesn't seem a very fair sample size. 3 shots?

Accept that he's never played as a striker previously, but that's what he's been brought here to do & he's shown a lot of early promise.

Here’s a thought.

Don’t have McB as your constant. That’s advice for the gaffer as much as it is for you !!!

UTB
Thing is, Mcburnie seems to be our "constant", i wouldnt start him v Citeh personally, but as the thread is entitled "Mcburnie", it seems only fair that we base our thoughts concerning him, on him actually playing??, I mean, if this we a Sharp or Brewster thread, maybe they'd be used as the "constant" maybe????, just a thought?

It doesn't seem a very fair sample size. 3 shots?

Accept that he's never played as a striker previously, but that's what he's been brought here to do & he's shown a lot of early promise.

That’s my problem with the signing. He’s been brought in to do something he’s never done and is unlikely to do well given his track record.

And saying he’s been brought in to play striker doesn’t make him one. You can say that about any signing.

He’s only here at all because WBA wouldn’t pay cash for Robinson and they dumped him on us.

And he’s shown no early promise in shooting or scoring. He’s yet another forward on our books who does some things well but those things aren’t goal scoring, which is one of the reasons why we are likely to be relegated.

That’s my problem with the signing. He’s been brought in to do something he’s never done and is unlikely to do well given his track record.

And saying he’s been brought in to play striker doesn’t make him one. You can say that about any signing.

He’s only here at all because WBA wouldn’t pay cash for Robinson and they dumped him on us.

And he’s shown no early promise in shooting or scoring. He’s yet another forward on our books who does some things well but those things aren’t goal scoring, which is one of the reasons why we are likely to be relegated.

He single handedly created a penalty and should have drawn a red card away at Arsenal. The chance he made for himself away at Liverpool was quality too. He's got no fear, he's got all the raw ingredients.

He's had a handful of appearances & cameos for us & he's 23 years old. It's not like he's spent a long career failing as a striker. I'm not really sure why you're so keen to write him off. He's looked decent so far.
I don't think it's fair to say he's shown "no early promise in shooting or scoring" he's only had 3 bloody shots. In the games he's played we've not laid him on an opportunity once, he's made bits & pieces happen for himself.

He single handedly created a penalty and should have drawn a red card away at Arsenal. The chance he made for himself away at Liverpool was quality too. He's got no fear, he's got all the raw ingredients.

He's had a handful of appearances & cameos for us & he's 23 years old. It's not like he's spent a long career failing as a striker. I'm not really sure why you're so keen to write him off. He's looked decent so far.
I don't think it's fair to say he's shown "no early promise in shooting or scoring" he's only had 3 bloody shots. In the games he's played we've not laid him on an opportunity once, he's made bits & pieces happen for himself.

I admire your optimism. Let’s hope you’re right. IMHO Robinson has already outscored him for the season.

There seems to be a feeling that we are not creating chances which i find strange. Am I on my own when I think we are creating lots of chances we just are not taking them.We should have been three up at half time against Fulham and at Anfield we created more than enough to level the score line but once again did not take them.
I agree entirely. We just don’t take them

Back
Top Bottom