McBurnie yesterday

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Good points.

Conveniently overlooking the FACT he went for a ball he could never ever win and in doing so, left their CF in acres of space unopposed.

Schoolboy error to which the lad in question is regularly culpable.

Sit tight, leave the ball which he can’t possibly win for others to deal with and the outcome of the phase could be oh so different.

It’s that simple.

He makes a critically bad decision. Dress it up however you so wish !!

UTB
Mcburnie always seems to be given a free role to attack the corner. He may have been near to the scorer when the corner was taken but I'm not sure it was 'his man' as such.

And the height is only relevant to the team if the player knows how to (or wants to) use it to his advantage. For a so called striker/ target man his heading ability is pathetic
That jump yesterday would have been laughable had it not been so pathetic!

True, but looking at him 'attacking' a cross which sails at least two foot over his daft head and in the same breath making that decision, leaving Okpom completely unmarked tells all you need to know about how poor the marshalling of our defence can be. Egan needs to take charge. He is an experienced, international defender who has played in the Premier League. Elsewhere, RND is wrestling with one of their players and the two players around the first header are challenging, making it completely viable for him to stay put and defend.

This aint a biggy if we won 2-1. Its still 3 points. But its losing two because of poor footballing acumen, bad organisation and shite strategy which pains me and others (I believe). Its two points we can avoid coughing up and if it's the difference at the end of the season between playoffs of not, automatics or not or even the title, it will be a bitter concession to take.

I get it McBurnie has more professional minutes than I could ever dream of, but we are long term footballing observers and laymen here. We've seen what Basham-Egan-O'Connell and other good central defenders and defending attackers (like Deane, Hulse, Stead and even Porter) can do when called in as auxiliary centreback to shore up pressure and get the ball clear up the pitch. I've said before that McBurnie has done well when in that role but yesterday he was away with the fairies.

pommpey

I can’t defend his “attack” :) but some see what they want to see. Same with Fleck who is rarely anything but Jimmy these days. Similarly, Norwood because he can sometimes hit a forty yard ball to one of his own players. Wow. A defensive midfielder who can’t defend and can’t beat Fleck in a race to get back once beaten.

And the height is only relevant to the team if the player knows how to (or wants to) use it to his advantage. For a so called striker/ target man his heading ability is pathetic
True, but looking at him 'attacking' a cross which sails at least two foot over his daft head and in the same breath making that decision, leaving Okpom completely unmarked tells all you need to know about how poor the marshalling of our defence can be. Egan needs to take charge. He is an experienced, international defender who has played in the Premier League. Elsewhere, RND is wrestling with one of their players and the two players around the first header are challenging, making it completely viable for him to stay put and defend.

This aint a biggy if we won 2-1. Its still 3 points. But its losing two because of poor footballing acumen, bad organisation and shite strategy which pains me and others (I believe). Its two points we can avoid coughing up and if it's the difference at the end of the season between playoffs of not, automatics or not or even the title, it will be a bitter concession to take.

I get it McBurnie has more professional minutes than I could ever dream of, but we are long term footballing observers and laymen here. We've seen what Basham-Egan-O'Connell and other good central defenders and defending attackers (like Deane, Hulse, Stead and even Porter) can do when called in as auxiliary centreback to shore up pressure and get the ball clear up the pitch. I've said before that McBurnie has done well when in that role but yesterday he was away with the fairies.

pommpey

Yet rather than accept that, the only answer others - after blaming him totally - can give is “yeah but he’s shite” rather than accept what’s in front of them.

I blame Heckingbottom more than McBurnie for yesterday though. As much as I don't rate him and want him gone, he is very rusty due to having no pre season minute and only playing in a single U21 game earlier in the week, yet he leapfrogs ahead of Jebbison & Osula who played all preseason.

In fact Jebbison cut his pre-season short to return to training earlier and impressed. His reward? Dropped from the squad as the bloke who's done nothing for us for two seasons and is repeatedly causing issues for us off the pitch becomes available. I wouldn't blame Jebbison for wanting to leave, the way he's been treated by Heckingbottom so far is really poor.

I can’t defend his “attack” :) but some see what they want to see. Same with Fleck who is rarely anything but Jimmy these days. Similarly, Norwood because he can sometimes hit a forty yard ball to one of his own players. Wow. A defensive midfielder who can’t defend and can’t beat Fleck in a race to get back once beaten.

Yeah. The Fleckwood conundrum still baffles many whilst we now have a solid opportunity to create a title-claiming midfield and build our redoubtable centre-of-the-park infantry giving Berge and N'Daiye the opportunity to terrorise oppositions, we are stuck with Pointy and Pointless just living off the rare ten or twenty minutes in every fifth match where they actually look purposeful.

Keep saying it but when Hecky finally and tearfully loads his revolver and shoots these two lame, bovine pasture-grazers and brings in players who have definite capability and who are 8 or 9/10 most games (and have goals in them too) then they'll realise we have just been tolerating them much the same way some tolerate McBurnie because sometime in the past he scored six (count 'em) goals in one season.

pommpey

Mcburnie always seems to be given a free role to attack the corner. He may have been near to the scorer when the corner was taken but I'm not sure it was 'his man' as such.
Don’t doubt that.

Would common sense dictate :

A. I should attempt to get to a ball that i am defo gonna struggle to get to.

Or

B. Sit tight and keep tight and goalside of their CF ?

Common sense and Oli Mc. What must I be thinking !!

UTB

listening to talk sport comms, they said he was moving around like he’d played over 90mins - he’d been on 10 mins

I was listening to the Talksport 2 commentary and heard that too. I was going to make the same point.
These are neutral commentators with no axe to grind noticing that our sub McBurnie hadn't been on the field long but already looked knackered.

Maybe it's his socks down image and ungainly running style that always makes him look like he's struggling for fitness, when maybe he isn't.

I blame Heckingbottom more than McBurnie for yesterday though. As much as I don't rate him and want him gone, he is very rusty due to having no pre season minute and only playing in a single U21 game earlier in the week, yet he leapfrogs ahead of Jebbison & Osula who played all preseason.
This is very true - We’re under the cosh a bit, getting out run in the middle as the opposition pile forward. We’ve seen Brewster cause them issues with his pace, so we bring a rusty McBurnie on to defend corners.

I appreciate any form of negativity gets dismissed as ‘bed wetting’ but did anyone actually think the substitution would in any way help us change the dynamic of the game.

Hopefully the new signings will have learnt our system and be ready for after Christmas. If we find ourselves in that situation again, we can maybe take Fleck & Ndiaye off for Khadra and McAtee, and look to counter at pace. You know, give the opposition something to be wary of.

I’ll forever support McBurnie and will clap him off at the end of the season when he leaves for free. Clearly a well liked player and one of the lads.

Good points.

Conveniently overlooking the FACT he went for a ball he could never ever win and in doing so, left their CF in acres of space unopposed.

Schoolboy error to which the lad in question is regularly culpable.

Sit tight, leave the ball which he can’t possibly win for others to deal with and the outcome of the phase could be oh so different.

It’s that simple.

He makes a critically bad decision. Dress it up however you so wish !!

UTB

I didn’t overlook that fact - I said that he was miles away from it. It was a poor choice to attack the ball. However (this is a very rare occasion that I will defend Oli McB), I think he actually anticipates that cross early and starts to move before it comes in. He’s not marking anyone because he assumes (rightly) that Ahmedhodzic should be marking him. It’s a split second decision, and I think in training, McB is told to always try and attack the ball.

I’d rather he do that, than dilly dally trying to work out who else is picking up men. In the long run, that would cost us more goals than what he did yesterday.

In this case, the mistake lies with Ahmedhodzic, but nobody seems willing to point that out because he’s new and has been otherwise excellent.

I didn’t overlook that fact - I said that he was miles away from it. It was a poor choice to attack the ball. However (this is a very rare occasion that I will defend Oli McB), I think he actually anticipates that cross early and starts to move before it comes in. He’s not marking anyone because he assumes (rightly) that Ahmedhodzic should be marking him. It’s a split second decision, and I think in training, McB is told to always try and attack the ball.

I’d rather he do that, than dilly dally trying to work out who else is picking up men. In the long run, that would cost us more goals than what he did yesterday.

In this case, the mistake lies with Ahmedhodzic, but nobody seems willing to point that out because he’s new and has been otherwise excellent.
So you would rather he make the poor choice as it’s better in the long run ?

Righdo.

UTB

Gave us all chance to sing one of the worst cringey songs ever made though when McBurnout came on. Also one of the least factual songs ever made.

So you would rather he make the poor choice as it’s better in the long run ?

Righdo.

UTB

In the split second, he has to make a decision. I would rather that he always attacked the ball if there is any doubt at all. On that occasion, it turned out to be the wrong decision in hindsight.

In the split second, he has to make a decision. I would rather that he always attacked the ball if there is any doubt at all. On that occasion, it turned out to be the wrong decision in hindsight.
In the split seconds I will acknowledge he has to “make” decisions, as with all pro footballers, the consistency in which he in particular makes “bad” decisions is alarming.

Lowe switches off for the same split seconds which also costs us dearly yesterday.

Its costing us.

UTB

In the split seconds I will acknowledge he has to “make” decisions, as with all pro footballers, the consistency in which he in particular makes “bad” decisions is alarming.

I completely agree, which is why I said that this was a very rare occasion where I'd defend McBurnie. Pound for pound, he's a worse investment than John Ebbrell.

Serious question, has Hecki and co. got some form of financial incentive if they can get McB up and running? There's no logic in picking him unless money talks!

Yeah. The Fleckwood conundrum still baffles many whilst we now have a solid opportunity to create a title-claiming midfield and build our redoubtable centre-of-the-park infantry giving Berge and N'Daiye the opportunity to terrorise oppositions, we are stuck with Pointy and Pointless just living off the rare ten or twenty minutes in every fifth match where they actually look purposeful.

Keep saying it but when Hecky finally and tearfully loads his revolver and shoots these two lame, bovine pasture-grazers and brings in players who have definite capability and who are 8 or 9/10 most games (and have goals in them too) then they'll realise we have just been tolerating them much the same way some tolerate McBurnie because sometime in the past he scored six (count 'em) goals in one season.

pommpey
Pointy and Pointless- genius 😂

He has cleared many defensive headers over the last few years, especially in the Premiership.
He has also scored good goals with his head.
I am not suggesting that he should not be criticised but to blame him for a large range of problems is simply unfair.
If he stays fit and fails to contribute significantly by the end of the season then I will accept he will not have achieved what was expected after his good season in the Premiership, until then we should allow him time to recover from injuries and illness that have held him back.

Back
Top Bottom