Mcburnie - Burnley

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I was about to say I'd go for Ellis Sims at Sunderland. But have just seen he's on loan from Everton. A similar player is needed though. Pace, power and hold up.
That lad at Coventry who shafted us last season,with the surname you struggle to say or even write properly.

Latest reports suggest Bruce may be in for Grabban.

That kills two birds with one stone on this thread.

Poor Bruce, living off frees.

Wonder what wages and signing on fees Grabban, Swift and Wallace managed to get out of them.

Heres an option nobody seems to be talking about...we sell McB...or even keep him...and the board gambles by backing Hecky in the market.

Once bitten....or more accurately 3 x bitten....I know....but this board has surprised us many times in the past (Moose, McB, Berge, Brewster, even Anel). Who is to say that given the phenomenal start weve made and the injury to Sharp they wont have one last roll of the dice?

It is the glaring weakness and if we could find the right striker for up to 10m they may just go for it, especially if we can get 5m or so for McB.

Heres an option nobody seems to be talking about...we sell McB...or even keep him...and the board gambles by backing Hecky in the market.

Once bitten....or more accurately 3 x bitten....I know....but this board has surprised us many times in the past (Moose, McB, Berge, Brewster, even Anel). Who is to say that given the phenomenal start weve made and the injury to Sharp they wont have one last roll of the dice?

It is the glaring weakness and if we could find the right striker for up to 10m they may just go for it, especially if we can get 5m or so for McB.

The reality is we could go this....gamble the whole lot on promotion.
However if we fail and need to sell half the team next season for lower than market value.

The same people who were critical suggesting the club needs to show ambition would be the same ones
saying we have terrible owners who don't know what they are doing by risking our financial security.

It happened at loads of clubs, Portsmouth, Bolton and more recently Derby and Sheff Wed.
Those clubs gambled and spent more than they could afford, it's almost like cheating, they failed and paid the price floating around the lower divisions.

Whilst other clubs like Wolves, Bournmouth, Villa gambled by over spending and ended up in the Premier League.

The reality is we could go this....gamble the whole lot on promotion.
However if we fail and need to sell half the team next season for lower than market value.

The same people who were critical suggesting the club needs to show ambition would be the same ones
saying we have terrible owners who don't know what they are doing by risking our financial security.

It happened at loads of clubs, Portsmouth, Bolton and more recently Derby and Sheff Wed.
Those clubs gambled and spent more than they could afford, it's almost like cheating, they failed and paid the price floating around the lower divisions.

Whilst other clubs like Wolves, Bournmouth, Villa gambled by over spending and ended up in the Premier League.
I'm not sure raising 5m and spending 10m would be classified as.'gambling the whole lot'

The prince has shown more ambition financially than any of us ever imagined when he first came in. It's not beyond the realms of possibility he does it again. Especially as Anel is probably already worth 3 x what we paid for him. If Sharp was fit it wouldnt happen but.maybe that will be the catalyst

s it again

Phenomenal 😂😂😂 phenomenal should not be used before 10 games and let’s see what our away records like

He cares, he works hard, he just helped the team to an absolutely dominant 3-0 Championship win.

Goals will come. As long as wins come, that's actually all that matters.

In various ways, signing a replacement is a gamble. How many strikers join a new club and never settle either/both on or off the pitch? A lot.

Forget last season, judge him on the present. You can do it Oli lad.

He cares, he works hard, he just helped the team to an absolutely dominant 3-0 Championship win.

Goals will come. As long as wins come, that's actually all that matters.

In various ways, signing a replacement is a gamble. How many strikers join a new club and never settle either/both on or off the pitch? A lot.

Forget last season, judge him on the present. You can do it Oli lad.

Only as good as your last performances - and Mcburnie has had too many poor ones BUT we fans are fickle

Everyone will back him if he keeps playing like the last few showings. If he gives everything and helps the team win it really doesn’t matter if he doesn’t get 20 goals or so.

He’s played well and helped the team. New season and a fresh start he has the chance to show he’s the player we Wanted from Swansea. Just need him to take it now.

The prefrontal cortex doesn’t fully develop until 24/25. Let’s hope he’s starting to put the nonsense behind him, working on getting fit and strong, and concentrating on making the most of an incredibly privileged position. He need look no further than a recently departed Frenchman for tips on how to waste a career.

The ‘Swansea/Barnsley’ McBurnie was a nightmare to play against and would be an asset for us. It’s not too late, but it’s time to get back to the work.

Liked McB for a long time, his off field nonsense is irritating and he has had a couple of bad patches, however like most have said, the effort against B'Burn was great and the goals WILL comes. Even if they don't his work rate, presence and movement does open up a lot of space for the likes of Ndiaye, Reda, Berge and McAtee.

You just know he's going to start banging the goals in then get sent down for 6 months for stamping on that Florist soft lad....

McBurnie under Heckingbottom is playing a totally different role to the one he played under Wilder, and that's reflected in the fact that he's getting into scoring positions.

Avert your eyes now if you think data analysis is a crime against the sport of football:

McBurnie's xG in his first season with us was 8 from 2100 minutes: he scored 6 goals
McBurnie's xG in our relegation season was 3.5 from 1300 minutes played: he scored 1 goal

McBurnie's xG this season is 1.85 from 130 minutes played. So it's already halfway to his total from the relegation season, in 10% of the minutes played.

It's just a way of expressing through numbers what most people could see with their eyes: under Wilder he was played as a target man, often coming deep to link play, rarely getting into the box, almost never looking like a goal threat. Now he's the focal point, getting into the box, playing between the goalposts (as Hecky likes to say), making good runs. Only poor finishing, back luck, and good goalkeeping has prevented him from scoring.

I think he deserves a run of games to see if he can turn the goal threat into actual goals. If he plays another 5-8 games and is getting into good positions but is still missing his chances, then yeah, maybe his finishing is just never going to be good enough at this level.

That's a separate consideration from the idea of selling him to a promotion rival, which is just daft on the face of it.
Revisiting this post from a month ago.

As I hoped he would be, McBurnie was given a run of games and made the most of it, scoring four in five. He's now matching his xG almost exactly (4 goals from xG 4.17, according to Infogol). His xG is already quite a lot higher than it was in the entirety of the relegation season and about half what it was in the whole of the first PL season, which I think confirms what I was saying about how different his role is now.

I still think his finishing could be better. One of his goals was a scuffed daisy cutter from outside the area that the goalie should've saved. He also missed a really good chance against Swansea. Besides that I think he's doing brilliantly. But if he takes his foot off the gas, gets complacent, or gets involved in anymore stupid shenanigans off the pitch then this run of good form will be nothing but a blip. He needs to keep it going.

Still wouldn't swap him for Grabban, though ;)

I'm glad he's doing well and always thought he was better than his feeble performances of the last couple of seasons but I hope his motivation is not that this is the last year of his contract and he is putting g himself in the shop window

I'm glad he's doing well and always thought he was better than his feeble performances of the last couple of seasons but I hope his motivation is not that this is the last year of his contract and he is putting g himself in the shop window

That's always a possibility when these purple patches coincide with the end of a contract, but I genuinely think that this is down to Ollie finally getting over his numerous injuries, sorting his head out and PH getting into him, in the right way.

Revisiting this post from a month ago.

As I hoped he would be, McBurnie was given a run of games and made the most of it, scoring four in five. He's now matching his xG almost exactly (4 goals from xG 4.17, according to Infogol). His xG is already quite a lot higher than it was in the entirety of the relegation season and about half what it was in the whole of the first PL season, which I think confirms what I was saying about how different his role is now.

I still think his finishing could be better. One of his goals was a scuffed daisy cutter from outside the area that the goalie should've saved. He also missed a really good chance against Swansea. Besides that I think he's doing brilliantly. But if he takes his foot off the gas, gets complacent, or gets involved in anymore stupid shenanigans off the pitch then this run of good form will be nothing but a blip. He needs to keep it going.

Still wouldn't swap him for Grabban, though ;)

Decent insightful posts. Fair play.
Agree that he looks much better in this role. He also did well with Swansea in the middle of a front 3.
As well as the role change, he's also noticeably worked on his strength and conditioning. By all accounts Jack O'Connell has been beasting him in the gym

Decent insightful posts. Fair play.
Agree that he looks much better in this role. He also did well with Swansea in the middle of a front 3.
As well as the role change, he's also noticeably worked on his strength and conditioning. By all accounts Jack O'Connell has been beasting him in the gym
Apparently he's the heaviest he's ever weighed with the lowest body fat. I think Hecky has given him a kick up the arse and his mentality seems much improved--that has translated into better fitness.

As you say, the other part of it is playing in a role where he's more likely to get in the box and get on the end of chances.

Liked McB for a long time, his off field nonsense is irritating and he has had a couple of bad patches, however like most have said, the effort against B'Burn was great and the goals WILL comes. Even if they don't his work rate, presence and movement does open up a lot of space for the likes of Ndiaye, Reda, Berge and McAtee.
However, I will always maintain I know nowt about owt' ;)

Back
Top Bottom