McBurnie and Jebbo future

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Anel and/or Souza will be sold (as well as Archer officially going back to Villa although it was only ever a loan in reality). After this season I would be happy for either of the afore mentioned to be moved on anyway. Unlike the last time when we had over extended ourselves financially and were desperate to sell, we aren't in that position this time in the summer. We will be in a very strong position financially to restructure the playing squad. The key is getting the recruitment right as we have this summer as a big chance and can't get it wrong.
Agree with the Souza and Anel bit, I can't see either being here next season, but unless the fees are big (which I doubt), I still don't see where any transfer money will come from?

Not that I'd want to but I'd be willing to sell Brooks for the right money if need be. Jebbison and Coulibaly should have taught us a lesson. Taking decent money when it's on offer is not a bad idea. They won't always automatically end up being worth more..... or even playing 3 games for you in their case

Bettis has already mentioned that it is Archer and one other needed to plug the gap of the 'shortfall'. Either way he mentioned that we wouldn't be up the creek like last time. Don't see it being an issue this time.
That's to "break even" is how I see it. We need a huge rebuild and that will cost a LOT ( by our championship standards)

He hasn't got close to 15 goals since his Swansea days. For me, trying to sign BBD would be my plan. He can hold the ball up, run behind defenders and score the occasional goal thingy
The only reason I would offer a contract to Mcburnie is because of our precarious financial position. We aren't going to be able to afford the likes of BBD and his quality in the championship. That was my point, I’m not saying that I would prefer Mcburine over BBD or Archer, just that it's probably a cheaper solution to sign an effective Championship striker we already have.

Whether you like Mcburnie or not he's gonna get you close to 15 goals next season. How many in the championship are about who can do that and at what cost?

With the other strikers leaving I think it would make sense to offer him a new deal, despite his obvious limitations.
Why will he? Because he got 13 last season? What about Championship season the year before when he got 1 goal, yes 1 solitary goal from our big money striker. And with the way fitness is going I’d say expect another sparse goal return next year.

He is up there with our highest earners, we’d have to give him a biggish signing on fee plus big wages similar to what he’s on now, it’s not worth the gamble, save that money and give it elsewhere.

I know that but the revenue shortfall will be what £50-60m? Is there a player anyone will want worth £10m? Souza maybe? There’s no one left to sell apart from Arblaster in January if he starts well. Once the hole is covered, we’ll need more cash for signings.

It’s huge sums without a serious cash injection from ownership, which I can’t see happening.
We will get money for Archer though.

Just seen it’s Archer plus one. 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
Some fans are pessimistic and I get that after this season, whereas I'm actually quite excited about what we will see next season. This season was always going to be total load of bollocks as we didn't have enough to compete and were paying thr creditors off. Next season is an opportunity for us to re-set. Money will be made available.
There was plenty of bed-wetting at the start of our last promotion season. Some on here seem to revel on negativity.

Bettis has already mentioned that it is Archer and one other needed to plug the gap of the 'shortfall'. Either way he mentioned that we wouldn't be up the creek like last time. Don't see it being an issue this time.
Pretty sure he said one player. There was no mention of Archer.

Fun with stats:

McBurnie, 26 August - 5 November 2022:

10 league starts, 3 sub appearances, 9 goals.

McBurnie, all other time with us:

71 league starts, 57 sub appearances, 15 goals.

We’ve played 196 league games since McBurnie signed for us. He’s started 81. Can on as a sub in 60.

Jebbison is a bit of a gamble, could end up an excellent player or could end up a lower league player. Depends how this length of time not playing will have affected him. Not good enough to start at the moment. I’m sure a PL club will pick him up and loan him to Championship / League One.

For all the stick he gets, McBurnie won’t be replaced by anyone better. Top end championship or SPL most likely.

Think a lot will want a fresh start - even those who we want to keep. This season will have taken a lot out a lot of them, both mentally and physically. Dressing room doesn’t feel fully united and the clusterfuck behind the scenes won’t be going unnoticed by the players.

The club needs a bit of a reset, and probably a couple of seasons in the championship to get things right off the pitch and see an evolution on the pitch. Won’t be easy, won’t be fun, won’t be pretty - but ultimately feels needed.
Shame for Jebbo is that there would have been plenty of opportunities for him to play this season too. It could have developed his game, even in a losing team.

Simply not clear when he’s ever going to be back. Only ten games left now.

We need a fresh up up front anyway we will have only osula come summer by looks of it so get them scouts working

There will be more than enough money as I see us going for OOC players and players in the final year of their contracts with their current clubs so cheaper deals to be done etc. I don't see us paying a lot out in transfer fees but then I don't think we will need to. There will be plenty of decent players who are falling over themselves to come to the Lane in the summer as despite this desperate season, we remain (and always will be) a very attractive club to many many footballers. We just need to ensure we get it right in the summer. With a change of the recruitment team I am quietly optimistic. We'll see.
I agree with this and in the Championship, it’s the wages you can pay that are key rather than the ability to pay large transfer fees.
McBurnie leaving will free up a substantial wage.
I think we’ll be an attractive destination for players but I also think we’ll have to be patient cos it will take a while to gel a large number of new players into an effective team.
Personally I trust the manager to get it right and find a squad with some character…. how long it takes may be the challenge for us fans.

We need a fresh up up front anyway we will have only osula come summer by looks of it so get them scouts working
We will have Brewster, Traore, Osula, Marsh, Oné. We need a couple of more established ones than that.

The whole Jebbison situation is one big shitshow irrespective of where anyone lays the blame or otherwise.

Never known circumstances like it.

As for Jebbo, you can hardly miss something that you haven't had. The lad should be careful though with his next move, as I'm not sure another set of fans would be so tolerant of him potentially missing so many games.

Maybe we're just a fanbase with a disproportionate amount of fans who are very happy to stick the knife into any player who is missing time through no fault of his own

Can't see the issue. Anyone who doesn't want to stick around for next season....thanks but shut the door quietly as you close the door behind you.

Happy for either to stay. Happy for either to fuck off. No big deal either way.

As for Jebbo, you can hardly miss something that you haven't had. The lad should be careful though with his next move, as I'm not sure another set of fans would be so tolerant of him potentially missing so many games.

More importantly, United should be having talks now with players agents for incoming players for next season.
Tolerant? What would you be worried they would do?

That's to "break even" is how I see it. We need a huge rebuild and that will cost a LOT ( by our championship standards)
Incorrect. Anyone who thinks large transfer fees are still a requirement in the Championship hasn’t been paying attention. We will be very competitive on wages & that’s what counts most. Some huge wages are coming off our wage bill this summer.

One is an absolute mile away from decent level adult football

Marsh got injured straight away at Donny. So again, completely untested.

One, completely agree.

Hackford at Burton, but not scored yet and no idea how he’s getting on.

Osula, too raw currently. I like him, but it’s not fair pining our hopes on him.

Injuries to McBurnie and Brewster amongst others have prevented Osula, Jebbo etc. from having a full season in League 1, The Championship.

Incorrect. Anyone who thinks large transfer fees are still a requirement in the Championship hasn’t been paying attention. We will be very competitive on wages & that’s what counts most. Some huge wages are coming off our wage bill this summer.
We aren't big wage payers. Plus freebies want signing on fees. It's a incredibly tricky situation and I can't see us getting a great recruitment team in when we know the owner wants out so why would anyone with a medium term plan join us? It's all very messy imo.

I'm off to play football manager. Trying to get us into the champions league for 10th year in a row. It's very easy on the mobile version! If only it was in real life.

We aren't big wage payers. Plus freebies want signing on fees. It's a incredibly tricky situation and I can't see us getting a great recruitment team in when we know the owner wants out so why would anyone with a medium term plan join us? It's all very messy imo.

I'm off to play football manager. Trying to get us into the champions league for 10th year in a row. It's very easy on the mobile version! If only it was in real life.
The re-signing fees we won’t be paying to those leaving will cover a lot of the signing fees for the incomers. Wage wise, we are very competitive in the Championship. There are plenty of decent young managers out there who would jump at the chance to come to us. I know this from conversations with managers. Despite what some of our fans like to believe, we are not regarded as a complete basket case club by the football world. I know of a few others that are.

Back
Top Bottom