McBurnie and Jebbo future

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

We certainly won't miss Jebbo's game time contributions for us for the last 3 years!
Good luck to the lad. I don't know him and can't understand what the actual reasons for him not being available have been but if he ever did want to play footy for us he'd have been busting a gut to get selected, not hiding behind a wall of silence.
He seems to me to have taken my club for a ride and I find that wholly unacceptable.
Cheerio Jebbs.
Agreed and same applies to Mcbernie who has promised much at times ! Just can't keep fit that will follow him wherever he goes ( if this is true ) and effect any contract he might get.
How many games has he played? Apart from 1st season he seems to have missed a lot of matches with various injury problems Jebbison would have a real opportunity here if Mcbernie went an opportunity he will have to work to get elsewhere badly advised in my opinion! Remember Jordan Slew! Playing in lower divisions.

Jebbo may end up at Brentford/Bournemouth/Palace…where they can afford to pay him a lower premier league salary and see how he goes.
He’s a big lad, fairly quick so has the physical attributes to be a handful….just not seen much of a football brain in him, or the ability on the ball to drop into a team culture where they value possession.

Low risk- Though I personally think he’s going to the championship elsewhere and at best on loan from whoever he gets in the premier league.
Think Burton/ Swindon/ stevenage/ Tranmere.

The issue with McBurnie’s fitness is that we effectively need another striker to fit in for the other half of the games he misses, too.

Having someone who can consistently play means we don’t need an expensive other 50%, which is effectively what BBD has been this half of the season.

Bring someone in who can play 90/95% of the season and we need a smaller collection of expensive forwards and can use the youth players more sparingly to fill in any gaps.

I'd let mcburnie and jebberson go for what they've done here, try and sign Brereton and look for a Szmodics or Hardie at Plymouth type. If jebbo hasn't recovered by season end my questions are
a, what date is estimated for his return
b, who will sign him if still injured
c, if both of the above is his career effectively over

I'm curious to know just how every body on here (with the exception of myself) seems to know for certain that we will be brassic in the summer and have 'no money'? Everyone must be attending the meetings with the owner/Bettis/the manager to be so sure of things and future agreed no budgets.

As I don't attend these meetings I am blissfully unaware of our shit state of not having a pot to piss in in the summer, and will carry on naively thinking that the freeing up of wages for those out of the door in two months (who were on expensive contracts) and with one or two of the failed big buy boys getting flogged will probably mean we have a very competitive budget for the championship next season. Then again, as I haven't been at the clubs internal financial meetings like every other poster on here has, no doubt I will be disappointed in the summer.

Transfer fees in the Championship aren't really a deciding factor in squad building. Wages are, and we will be competitive in this area. Or maybe we won't...thing is, only CW, the Owner and Bettis will know.

I'd say its more like 2 strikers and 2 attacking midfielders we should be aiming for

Screenshot_2024-03-11-10-37-44-323_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

The 'maximum security' clearance specification for United's financial budget meetings for next season...

I'm curious to know just how every body on here (with the exception of myself) seems to know for certain that we will be brassic in the summer and have 'no money'? Everyone must be attending the meetings with the owner/Bettis/the manager to be so sure of things and future agreed no budgets.

As I don't attend these meetings I am blissfully unaware of our shit state of not having a pot to piss in in the summer, and will carry on naively thinking that the freeing up of wages for those out of the door in two months (who were on expensive contracts) and with one or two of the failed big buy boys getting flogged will probably mean we have a very competitive budget for the championship next season. Then again, as I haven't been at the clubs internal financial meetings like every other poster on here has, no doubt I will be disappointed in the summer.

Transfer fees in the Championship aren't really a deciding factor in squad building. Wages are, and we will be competitive in this area. Or maybe we won't...thing is, only CW, the Owner and Bettis will know.

We have not got a barrel of money and that's always been our motto. We have to stick to it regardless of what the accounts say.

Now get your boots ready, you are playing upfront in 3 weeks time.

We have not got a barrel of money and that's always been our motto. We have to stick to it regardless of what the accounts say.

After being fit as a fiddle for most of my adult life and being in the forces, I'm now in my early 50s and have dodgy knees after surgery on both - a legacy of hammering them in my younger days and soldiering on through injuries. That said, I reckon I would still be able to get around the pitch more than some of our heroes this season and be less injury prone than some. I'll have to see if I have kept the old boots in a long forgotten cupboard somewhere...

After being fit as a fiddle for most of my adult life and being in the forces, I'm now in my early 50s and have dodgy knees after surgery on both - a legacy of hammering them in my younger days and soldiering on through injuries. That said, I reckon I would still be able to get around the pitch more than some of our heroes this season and be less injury prone than some. I'll have to see if I have kept the old boots in a long forgotten cupboard somewhere...

I am sure you can move around quicker than McBurnie.

I know that but the revenue shortfall will be what £50-60m? Is there a player anyone will want worth £10m? Souza maybe? There’s no one left to sell apart from Arblaster in January if he starts well. Once the hole is covered, we’ll need more cash for signings.

It’s huge sums without a serious cash injection from ownership, which I can’t see happening.

The shortfall is usually around £40-50m but ours is lower as our cost base is smaller than the vast majority of relegated clubs. We just about got through the first season after our last relegation by selling Ramsdale for £24m.

We made a profit of £10m on revenue of £126m in 20/21 and a loss of £15.2m on revenues of £66.9m in 21/22. A lot of the 21/22 loss was down to nearly £25m of amortisation, a figure which will be miles lower this season and next season. Our wages in 20/21 (20th in the PL) were reported as £56.5m but that was for 11 months so restating for 12 months gives a figure of £61.6m. 21/22 saw wages of £42.4m, a drop of approximately a third.

Looking at this season: our wages will likely be lower than 20/21 (taking up options in contracts, selling Berge, signing unproven replacements, releasing some senior pros) and in the summer. Next season should be even lower than 21/22 as we'll release loads more high earners.

In short: I would imagine we're looking at a gap of around £30m; half of which will be filled by selling Archer back to Villa and a fair chunk of the other half will be filled by not renewing some high earners. Selling Ahmedhodzic and Souza for £10m each will then give us some wiggle room to start rebuilding the squad and hopefully prevent us from having to sell some of the brighter youth prospects.

Oh, we have not got a barrel of money
We have neither Agana nor Curry
But with the presence of Eddie Colquhoun
Promotion will occur soon
United.
Let us sing as one…

In short: I would imagine we're looking at a gap of around £30m; half of which will be filled by selling Archer back to Villa and a fair chunk of the other half will be filled by not renewing some high earners. Selling Ahmedhodzic and Souza for £10m each will then give us some wiggle room to start rebuilding the squad and hopefully prevent us from having to sell some of the brighter youth prospects.
No chance we get that for them. The wiggle room is tiny.

No chance we get that for them. The wiggle room is tiny.
How many loans can we have in the Championship? Is it still 5.
If we use that wisely we'll be fine.
The downside is that it leaves us a huge squad rebuild if we go back up. But we'll need a decent size squad anyway.
For me, continued building and promotion the season after would be ideal anyway.

How many loans can we have in the Championship? Is it still 5.
If we use that wisely we'll be fine.
The downside is that it leaves us a huge squad rebuild if we go back up. But we'll need a decent size squad anyway.
For me, continued building and promotion the season after would be ideal anyway.
The season after we lose parachute payments and have to make more cuts ( nearly everyone is out of contract but we still need to buy!)

No chance we get that for them [Souza and Ahmedhodzic]. The wiggle room is tiny.
That's your opinion. Mine is that Souza is a £10-15m minimum; Ahmedhodzic similar but slightly lower after this poor season. They, and their agents (/dad) will be told what the minimum is.

The season after we lose parachute payments and have to make more cuts ( nearly everyone is out of contract but we still need to buy!)
We get £55m next season and £45m the season after. We're not eligible for the third season (approx £20m).

I'm curious to know how we're going to sign three Championship standard strikers with no money.
Agreed, I would have thought that they will need to come from loans.

I would also expect that any new training ground costs will likely be loans/mortgage, same as most other things under this owner.

Like most fans have already mentioned within various posts, it will likely be what we can pick up on free transfers on cheap wages, loans from EPL and abroad and may be 1 or 2 players that we actually pay small fees for, the rest will be the kids.

The sad fact is that we're generally a better team when McBurnie plays, not least as he's our best set-piece defender. He also seems to have some presence in the dressing room and on the pitch which is something we generally lack.
Kieffer Moore would seem an obvious replacement but he's now 31.
Jebbo will probably go to a lower Prem/upper Championship club and has probably been promised something which is why he won't sign a new contract.
Could be another DCL or another Slew or anything in between. Not so much a loss now but may prove to be in future if we miss out on a potential transfer or sell-on fee.
Bottom line is, as usual, how much money we have in the summer and how smart we are with signings.
You'd hope Wilder and the Prince are already on that drawing board this week and that the owner would at least have the common sense to realise we cannot go into another season like we did this.

It's odd because we play better when McBurnie is fit and doing what McBurnie does. But on the flip side, when he plays, we tend to go long and predictable in the extreme. I'm not bothered if he stays or goes, to be honest. I think I can make a case for either. Can't see him getting a better offer other than maybe from Rangers where he'd do well.

Back
Top Bottom