Matchday 29 Graphs and Thoughts – Miller Lite Entertainment – A Dozy Performance!

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

ucandomagic

Reaction score
A more open game than I expected - I thought Rotherham would press much higher and harder than they did. Overall, though, it was a game without any real quality moments. It needed something special to bring it to life, from the likes of Iliman or Jayden, but things just weren’t coming off for them. (Perhaps it was a bit of a Dozy performance!!)

Only 3 clear chances in the whole game – 2 for us and 1 for them. Their free header from about 8 yards out was certainly the best chance – but Anel’s header and Jayden’s shot over the bar should both have been better. Somebody really needs to tell Egan and Anel that if you head an attacking header down towards the line you have more than twice the chance of scoring over a flat header towards (or over!) the top of the goal. I guess defenders just get used to heading it up and away!

Overall, we at least avoided conceding a first double against us, but other results from Boro and Luton have tightened things up a bit. So – on to the graphs and charts to assess the damage:-

Graph 1 is the usual multiple comparison graph with our best recent Championship seasons. Graph 1 shows that after 29 games, on 58 points we are 5 points behind Warnock’s excellent 05/06 season – which had 63 points after 29 games (Warnock would still be 2 behind Burnley’s 65). We are also 7 points ahead of our 51 points in Wilder’s promotion season in 18/19. So it continues to be our best Championship season for a long time.

Graph 1:
Our Best Recent Champs - Matchday 29.jpg

Graph 2
compares where we are to my benchmark results for each game to achieve an automatic promotion or a playoff season. You can see from Graph 2 that we are now 1 point behind my Autos Certain line. Remember, though, this is for almost certain automatics – we are still a couple of points clear of results for a very high probability automatics total. We are also well ahead, by 9 points, of my Playoffs Certain results.

Graph 2:
Paths To The Prem Matchday 29.jpg

Finally, the League Table, and now a 10 point gap to Boro in third place, although they have played a game more. Also 10 points back to Luton in fourth; they are on the same number of games as us though. As I mentioned above – Rotherham was another game where we could have conceded our first double of the season – so at least we avoided that. Only Watford left for that possibility now. Looking at the table, that block of 4 home games against the teams in 3rd to 6th will probably define how easy or tense our run in becomes. In fact, we haven’t played our second game against any of the top 11, as we still have to play 7-11 away.

League Table
League Table.jpg

So, we regroup and move on. Hopefully, a good win on Tuesday against the sheep-shaggers, and getting a few more minutes into some returning players, will set us up nicely for the second act of our Welsh week next Saturday.

UTB & Slava Ukraini

The league table concerns me. The games at home and away against the top 10 still to go.

Up the energy Blades - on and off the pitch!

Thanks for posting these, really great insight.

Looking at the table, that block of 4 home games against the teams in 3rd to 6th will probably define how easy or tense our run in becomes. In fact, we haven’t played our second game against any of the top 11, as we still have to play 7-11 away.
On a PPG basis (accounting for home/away) we have the hardest run in in the division. (For context WBA have the easiest - or did before this weekend)

Couple of wins in the next 2 games would do a LOT to calm some nerves. I'd take 4 points from the next 2 in all honesty.

The league table concerns me. The games at home and away against the top 10 still to go.

Up the energy Blades - on and off the pitch!

Thanks for posting these, really great insight.
Interestingly, although we have 10 games left against top half teams and 7 games against bottom half teams, our current points per game is 2.25 against top half teams and 1.82 against bottom half teams.

The argument is that we are better when teams try to play against us, rather than when we have to break down a low block.

Let's hope that trend continues!

UTB

4 of our 5 losses and 4 of our 7 draws have come against teams in the bottom half of the table, bring on the better teams I say!

Interestingly, although we have 10 games left against top half teams and 7 games against bottom half teams, our current points per game is 2.25 against top half teams and 1.82 against bottom half teams.

The argument is that we are better when teams try to play against us, rather than when we have to break down a low block.

Let's hope that trend continues!

UTB

Good point, thanks for flagging.

4 of our 5 losses and 4 of our 7 draws have come against teams in the bottom half of the table, bring on the better teams I say!
We raise our game against better teams as the Burnnley game shows
When the stakes are raised we play better. Like tomorrow in the cup we will up our game knowing they get to play Spurs. Think we've seen Wrexham at their best

Seen us lose in play offs but can't remember blowing a 2nd place lead. Whenever weve gone up it's as 2nd placed club. Can't remember surrendering a 6 point lead as 2nd except when ched was sent down . I should say the chances of Ndiaye being sent down in a miscarriage of justice was slim

Back
Top Bottom