Lundstram contract

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I will never understand the people who bash Lunny. He works hard scores goals and provides assists and is solid defensively. His stats are better than flecks in terms of goals assists and accurate passes. Imagine the uproar if fleck wanted to go, yet Lunny outperformed him last season and people want to see him gone it's mind blowing

Lunny has 100% NOT outperformed Fleck.

You wouldnt request a pay rise if you had been under performing though would you ? Lundstram IMHO has under performed this season on the whole. In football its not just the player they have agents and they are the money grabbing banana's trying to get more money. He may not have an agent which could be why the contract talks are not being sorted as quickly.

As for moving jobs for more money if no other club is coming in for him or for the "right money" and SUFC are saying here is your new contract with a bit more money but not what you want then its almost stalemate. Meanwhile you can alienate your Manager by not signing. Its not just about the money from the club side its also about whether you are committed to the club.

Ok some points:

1. If my employer was making more money than it has ever previously made and I was contributing to that, then yes, I would ask for a pay rise.

2. The contract could be stalling for more innocent reasons, maybe lunny wants to play at a club with a greater chance of a starting place. Fans are assuming its money.

3. Both me and you don’t know if any other clubs are in for him, but I would be shocked if there wasn't interest.

4. I understand all the “committed to the club” stuff. Its great when we hear Billy Sharp took a pay cut to play for us, but its unrealistic to expect players with no Sheffield heritage to have an emotional connection with us.

5. Fans are twats. Including myself. A player can turn from hero to zero within 90mins of football. Why we expect such loyalty out of players will forever puzzle me.

6. People need to drop the “he earns in a week what I earn in a year” mentality. If I won the lotto I would change my house, car, clothes and I would spoil my kids rotten. I look at footballers as people who win the lotto multiple time (new contracts) and they have some control over the jackpot.

There's a point with any negotiation where if parties can't agree someone has to either give in or move on. It could be the player not being guaranteed game time or it could be wages. It could be anything at this stage, but obviously the club aren't able to offer Lundstrum or his agent what they want.

Nothing against Lundstrum, but he knows our wage structure. I hope for his reputations sake he has a club lined up that will progress his career and not just pay a fat wage. I'm glad we've transfer listed him now because negotiations have gone on too long, we need to line up a replacement and move on.

Either way I doubt he gives a shit about what a few fans think.

I get the argument that it is a short career and players need to maximise what they earn but don't we all want more money? What football players seem to forget is some of their fans take a year to earn what an average Premier League nobody earns each and every week. Say a player is on 20k per week he has earned £1m in a year while poor Joe who works as a cleaner or something for the NHS will struggle to earn that in his 45-50 at the hospital doing vital work. The football player on £20k per week for his whole career will have £10m gone into his bank account he can hang his boots up at 35 and sit on his arse for another 35 years and still have a good standard of living compared to others. So yes they are greedy bastards.
Absolutely spot on, couldn't have put it any better.
Even lower league players earn some decent corn.
Also let's not forget that footballers only train for around two to three hrs per day, and play 90 mins per week for around 35 weeks a yr, they're even doing the job they love.

Lunny has 100% NOT outperformed Fleck.
The stats say differently! Same goals. More assists, better passing accuracy. More distance covered, more blocks, more clearances. By nearly every measure he has outperformed fleck and I am a big John fleck fan. This is my point, put bias aside compare the numbers and lunny has out performed flecky. I would love blades analytics to give us a breakdown of midfielders whose outputs matched Lunnys so we can do a true comparison on what he would cost to replace.

Typical bloody scouser like Duffy. 90% are awkward buggers! I don't know what we've offered him but other players (e.g. Norwood, Fleck, Bash) have been happy to sign presumably within our existing wage structure. The fact he won't suggests he wants to try and break that structure. I know these guys have a short career but let's face it even if he is "only" on £20k a week that's still £1 mill a year (which is more than most people earn in a life time) and I bet he will have got a decent bonus last season for the club winning promotion and this season for staying in the EPL. He is a decent player but largely down to CWAK's coaching and plucking him from the obscurity of League One Oxford. He has been a major contributor this season although perhaps inconsistent. But who will ever forget his goal against CP - our first back in the PL and his winner against Bournemouth (I think it was them) when he was put through by Mousse. He would certainly be good enough to stay in our squad and get quite a bit of game time but he's not worth busting the wage structure for..
Would you spend 12 million on say Matty cash and give him 20k a week or 30k on lundstram and have the 12 million in the bank for a striker?? No brainer for me and I appreciate these figures are guesstimates

I’d be disappointed if we’ve taken the piss with what we’ve offered, but if we have, fingers crossed, it’s because we are looking for better technical players next year.

He’s not a player I particularly want to leave if we are going to adopt the same style next season, but if we are looking to be a bit more expressive, then I don’t think he’ll feature that much.

Sometimes it is best to say - if you can get a better deal elsewhere, then good luck.

The stats say differently! Same goals. More assists, better passing accuracy. More distance covered, more blocks, more clearances. By nearly every measure he has outperformed fleck and I am a big John fleck fan. This is my point, put bias aside compare the numbers and lunny has out performed flecky. I would love blades analytics to give us a breakdown of midfielders whose outputs matched Lunnys so we can do a true comparison on what he would cost to replace.
No bias, lundstram had a great spell sept to nov and has been pretty average since.

tbh i don't blame him for wanting more money. would think he'd be one of our worst paid players next season, maybe simon moore below him.

tbh i don't blame him for wanting more money. would think he'd be one of our worst paid players next season, maybe simon moore below him.
He was offered more money.

Unfortunately it sounds like he wanted to be top dog.

Perhaps he wants to go as he knows he will not get game time?
Same basic or improved elsewhere plus appearance bonuses etc.
Plus the fact that he is a professional footballer who might just enjoy playing as opposed to training and sitting on the bench.

Perhaps he wants to go as he knows he will not get game time?
Same basic or improved elsewhere plus appearance bonuses etc.
Plus the fact that he is a professional footballer who might just enjoy playing as opposed to training and sitting on the bench.
You do realise he's been involved in 34 matches this season? I'd hardly class that as training and sitting on the bench.

You do realise he's been involved in 34 matches this season? I'd hardly class that as training and sitting on the bench.
Err since signing Berge he was overlooked, pretty obvious that going forward he is not going to be first choice

He wasnt first choice for previous 2 years but knuckled down and earned a spot. Berge was dropped a few times and he came back in. Berges long term position isnt RCM.
Totally agree with what you say, but going forward wilder proved by preferring Berge that he was better thought of than Lundstram, subsequently wilder not happy with lundstram contribution and position under threat. In addition it is widely reported that we are pursuing Swift and Cash both of whom it is thought will be ahead of him for that position.

No bias, lundstram had a great spell sept to nov and has been pretty average since.
So did many others, but average performances in a team that finished 9th. 3rd top goalscorer and people are happy to see him go. Not everyone but many! I would have preferred him to stay, but hey I wanted Duffy to stay too & we did move on so let's hope Wiider can find another miracle when he does go

Fuck him, one leaves, a better one comes in. No room for passengers and always looking to improve. Thats how you stay in this league and then progress higher.

I’ll go further. After a spell when he looked like an absolute world beater, he’s been back to the Lunny we all know and in the main he has been crap. We've seen what he’s capable now of so watching him misplace passes and constantly pass back Instead of going for the attacking option has been baffling. Such a frustrating player.

Last edited:
He's been class this season in my view. A real improvement and strange that we are now in this situation with him. Wilder doesnt suffer fools though, so that might be the reason. But it's strange that Billy can get 2 more years and Lunny cant based on both their performances this year, but there's obviously more to it than that.

Good luck to him, get a decent fee for him and send him on his way. Clearly had his head turned and doesn’t want to play for us. He will go elsewhere and disappear.

He’s a half decent footballer that has maximised his ability this season in my opinion. Perhaps he knows it and is trying to cash in, who could blame him. You have to wonder why we didn’t see this from him in previous seasons and why his level dropped in the second half of the season.

His agent has done a great job for him getting four PL clubs interested. He’s played about half a dozen or so great games.

He wants more than than we are prepared to offer, therefore we sell can't see an issue.

12 Months ago if you offered me Lundstrams performances, finishing 9th and get £5 million for him - I would have taken that

He's been class this season in my view. A real improvement and strange that we are now in this situation with him. Wilder doesnt suffer fools though, so that might be the reason. But it's strange that Billy can get 2 more years and Lunny cant based on both their performances this year, but there's obviously more to it than that.
I think its more to do with lunny's contract expectations than the fact that Wilder doesn't want to offer anything.

If the two parties are miles apart, there is no point in making an offer that they know will be rejected.

Today's posts on this thread allow me to say 'some of our fans never learn.'
Had a pop at Mousset, had a pop at McBurnie, (probably others I can't remember) without knowing the stories and here we are again.

The only people who really know what's going on are those involved in the negotiations. The decision to list JL would suggest those negotiations have reached an impasse.

CW will know how much he wants to pay, JL and probably more specifically his agent will know how much they want. The Mark Duffy episode demonstrated how that will end.

Nobody is bigger than the club.

I don't get how one or two posters seem to think Lunny is hard done to by the club, he has been offered a better contract but either he or is agent think he is worth more simple as that. No one here really knows what has been offered or what Lundstram and his agent want it is all pure speculation. What we do all know is that Lundstam was great up until January then for reasons known only to him he was playing and tripping up on his bottom lip rather than busting a gut to stay in the team. Apart from a few flashes his game in the second half of the season was shite, easy to make your pass completion look good when you just start doing 5yard passes to the back three or sideways. We don't want players here who have got the face on if he don't want to be here get him sold sharpish and get someone who does want to play for us, Lunny is far from irreplaceable.

Typical bloody scouser like Duffy. 90% are awkward buggers! I don't know what we've offered him but other players (e.g. Norwood, Fleck, Bash) have been happy to sign presumably within our existing wage structure. The fact he won't suggests he wants to try and break that structure. I know these guys have a short career but let's face it even if he is "only" on £20k a week that's still £1 mill a year (which is more than most people earn in a life time) and I bet he will have got a decent bonus last season for the club winning promotion and this season for staying in the EPL. He is a decent player but largely down to CWAK's coaching and plucking him from the obscurity of League One Oxford. He has been a major contributor this season although perhaps inconsistent. But who will ever forget his goal against CP - our first back in the PL and his winner against Bournemouth (I think it was them) when he was put through by Mousse. He would certainly be good enough to stay in our squad and get quite a bit of game time but he's not worth busting the wage structure for..

I see Jack O'Connell conveniently didn't make it into your shortlist... guess you covered yourself by proclaiming only 90% are awkward buggers..

I can't see what all the fuss is about. The Club have a ceiling figure, JL (and representatives) have a certain figure, and the two don't match up. Simples, JL moves on and the Club recoups some money.

I think our meteoric rise in the past 4 years has skewed a few minds on here. Our players are still by and large independent people who will do what they think is best for themselves - regardless of whether we or the club agree with their decisions. The Club (Wilder in particular) will do all it can to improve season on season and have the best playing staff possible. That obviously means having a working budget and and a turnover of players accordingly.

I have been a fan of Lunny this season, but my only allegiance is to Sheffield United FC. If he goes, he goes with my best wishes, and we move on. As has been said on this thread, he is cerainly not irreplaceable.

I can't see what all the fuss is about. The Club have a ceiling figure, JL (and representatives) have a certain figure, and the two don't match up. Simples, JL moves on and the Club recoups some money.

I think our meteoric rise in the past 4 years has skewed a few minds on here. Our players are still by and large independent people who will do what they think is best for themselves - regardless of whether we or the club agree with their decisions. The Club (Wilder in particular) will do all it can to improve season on season and have the best playing staff possible. That obviously means having a working budget and and a turnover of players accordingly.

I have been a fan of Lunny this season, but my only allegiance is to Sheffield United FC. If he goes, he goes with my best wishes, and we move on. As has been said on this thread, he is cerainly not irreplaceable.

Agree with this. I don't blame Lundstram for asking for more money after a career year, when he was (potentially) in the last year of his contract, and I don't blame the club for (a) not giving him that money given this level of performance was never seen from him before and (b) taking the option to extend and presumably (d) selling if the price is right.

And FWIW the price should be an 8 figure one at the moment, because we are unlikely to get better for less.

Back
Top Bottom