Lundstram contract

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

So no one you've ever worked with has ever given less than 100% in any given day?
Yes but not everybody all on the same day. You always get those who like to cruise and those who never give in and hopefully United's filtration system keeps most of the 90 percenters away from the team but for even say 3 or 4 to just not put it in on the same day would be beyond me. Not sure if there's some gamesmanship involved whereby Wilder blames the team not trying to make up for an alternate failing.

What's this touch inside thing that he has seemed to have learned during lockdown? He had a few chances to cross but his first though and touch is to cut inside and then stop.

Easy to overreact after a loss at home but that was a terrible performance and Lunny has got worse and worse (imo) since the halfway point of the season. He's still a Premier League player and capable of producing at this level but, for me, if a decent fee was forthcoming I'd be tempted to let him go as long as a viable replacement can be bought in.

Who knows, maybe he'll come back next season firing on all cylinders again, but If we can't get a decent fee we might as well let him run his contract down and hope he'll produce the goods whilst in the shop window.

Very disappointing.

UTB

What's this touch inside thing that he has seemed to have learned during lockdown? He had a few chances to cross but his first though and touch is to cut inside and then stop.

Touch inside, kill the attack, go back towards defence. He may as well have put an Everton or Leicester shirt on in these two matches.

I'll defend Lunny until I'm blue in the face. He deserves it for the dogs abuse he took before the season started and then grovelling backing down after.

But, there is absolutely no denying that his form post restart has been very very dodgy. He's been at best mediocre. And I think some of the fancy little touches he's doing are questionable in their intent.

That said, can't blame him for wanting a seemingly daft contract. If he doesn't sign in the next couple of weeks, we need to start circulating his name.

I'll defend Lunny until I'm blue in the face. He deserves it for the dogs abuse he took before the season started and then grovelling backing down after.

But, there is absolutely no denying that his form post restart has been very very dodgy. He's been at best mediocre. And I think some of the fancy little touches he's doing are questionable in their intent.

That said, can't blame him for wanting a seemingly daft contract. If he doesn't sign in the next couple of weeks, we need to start circulating his name.

Wilder probably already is circulating his name. He has been waiting for him to sign his new contract for about 2 months.

His body language since restart for me has been like he wants away. I could be wrong.

His body language since restart for me has been like he wants away. I could be wrong.

Surprised Wilder has been putting him in the team at all but I guess that is down to Besic going back.

Every pass he makes seems to be to the back three lately, he seems to be doing fancy little turns and a safe pass to the back three, no drive to go forwards at all maybe his agent has filled his head with crap.

Tonight we were building up pressure, lots of passing overloads around and in their box and then he made a stupid little backheel whilst in the box that went straight to their defender, let like he was trying to be too clever and thinks he’s better than he is. Certainly lost form but won’t ever forget the start to the season he had,,,,no-one saw that coming. I do think he is the kind of player that plays for a contract and then falls to previous form once he gets it. Seen a few like that over the years but this team he peaked too early!

Lunny Shoddy tonight

His main thing, rolling the ball forward a foot and whipping in a cross. Didn't do it at all tonight. Either scared of giving it away, or can't be arsed.

If he doesn't drive on, he's basically pointless.

Yes he wasn't great but was anybody?

There was a moment in the game where he won the ball really high up the pitch, similar to one done earlier in the season, and set us on an attack. Again, no one was fantastic and we are lacking that potency up front.

Based on tonight, I dont think he deserves anymore criticism than anybody else.

I thought that. He has for me had around 15 good games in around 3 seasons - its not like his form he showed pre Xmas he showed much before. He had a great start to the season but has shown nothing in the previous 3 seasons to suggest this is the norm. Leon Clarke springs to mind as another example of this. He knows his next contract will be the best and lucrative he gets but I dont see loads of Prem clubs clamouring for him. He might get a Burnley or someone like that but even that is a stretch as he does not work hard enough for a Dyche like team. He'll end up back at the Champ and on even less wages than he is now in a year or so if he is not careful. His best bet is to resign here and work like mad to win his place back. Sadly he has looked not arsed and looks already half way out of the door to me.

Let him go if he wants plenty more players like Lundstram about no real loss if he goes he has clearly let a few good performances go to his head.

Seemed to me for a long while he has not been the same and had an half arsed attitude ever since we signed Sander Berge I.M.O.

When we got promoted he wasn't even good enough to get in the team. Were it not for Duffy's ineloquence he'd have been nowhere near this season either.

He proved an unexpected boost. I'm just not convinced he had the ability to kick on even further.

Perhaps someone will be taken in by his FPL celebrity but if we got anywhere between 5m-7m for him and Swift for 3.5m then I'd be fine with that.

He was signed as a squad player in the championship and in his defence he has improved in the 3 years he has been here but he still wouldn’t get in any other Prem side and I think the club want his wages to reflect that. I have heard he’s the lowest paid player in the prem over 23 which could true when he signed his deal 3 years back and will have only had a raise for the promotion since. Problem I think we have is there will be teams willing to double his wages in the league below and if he’s going to get more games then good luck to him but I have a feeling he may end up in the prem earning triple what he is now to be sat on the bench elsewhere.

If Lunny won't sign his contract offer that's his prerogative........................... get shut

The uncertainty does no one any favours. It's no good for Sheffield Utd and I personally have no time for players that no longer wish to be here.

I won't deny his contributions this year, particularly in the early months. Some extremely valuable goals and assists and stellar performances. The way he adapted his game to include breaking forwards with late runs into the box is admirable.

However (and I'm sure this is fairly controversial), I just do not think he's premier league footballer. Like a few in our team, was in the right place in the right position at the right time - and saw something of a purple patch.

If he leaves and we replace him with Swift then, for me, that is an instant upgrade. I may be proven wrong, but by the end of next Season I'm pretty certain that he'll be a championship player?

I won't deny his contributions this year, particularly in the early months. Some extremely valuable goals and assists and stellar performances. The way he adapted his game to include breaking forwards with late runs into the box is admirable.

However (and I'm sure this is fairly controversial), I just do not think he's premier league footballer. Like a few in our team, was in the right place in the right position at the right time - and saw something of a purple patch.

If he leaves and we replace him with Swift then, for me, that is an instant upgrade. I may be proven wrong, but by the end of next Season I'm pretty certain that he'll be a championship player?

Re your last sentence, I agree, he'll be a Championship player because for the best part that's how I rate him. Just my opinion and fair play early season, but he doesn't have the qualities that move the team to the next level. Some of our players look comfortable, some not so, One or two are struggling a little.

Playing hard ball won't work with Wilder, particularly if he doesn't see them in a side that moves to the "next level"

These are Lundstram's player ratings for the season. There was a definite drop off starting at Wolves away (1st December, when he wasn't great at all and got substituted late on). He pretty much got worse from then on.

Everyone can agree he'd been playing well and chipping in with plenty of goals and assists up until that point, and his average rating was 7.54. But 3 months of form in 3 years isn't enough to warrant a big contract. His average rating since then has been 5.74, which would probably reflect his first two years here. Not good enough.

Bournemouth 1 - 1 Sheff Utd 6.94
Sheff Utd 1 - 0 Crystal Palace 8.8
Sheff Utd 1 - 2 Leicester 6.24
Sheff Utd 2 - 1 Blackburn
Chelsea 2 - 2 Sheff Utd 7.24
Sheff Utd 0 - 1 Southampton 5.74
Everton 0 - 2 Sheff Utd 8.36
Sheff Utd 0 - 1 Sunderland
Sheff Utd 0 - 1 Liverpool 7.23
Watford 0 - 0 Sheff Utd 5.9
Sheff Utd 1 - 0 Arsenal 8.25
West Ham 1 - 1 Sheff Utd 7.86
Sheff Utd 3 - 0 Burnley 9.31
Tottenham 1 - 1 Sheff Utd 8.42
Sheff Utd 3 - 3 Man Utd 7.75
Wolves 1 - 1 Sheff Utd 6.21
Sheff Utd 0 - 2 Newcastle 5.25
Norwich 1 - 2 Sheff Utd 6.43
Sheff Utd 2 - 0 Aston Villa 7.96
Brighton 0 - 1 Sheff Utd 7.34
Sheff Utd 1 - 1 Watford 5.79
Man City 2 - 0 Sheff Utd
Liverpool 2 - 0 Sheff Utd 4.02
Sheff Utd 2 - 1 Fylde
Sheff Utd 1 - 0 West Ham 4.73
Arsenal 1 - 1 Sheff Utd 4.78
Sheff Utd 0 - 1 Man City 5.53
Millwall 0 - 2 Sheff Utd
Crystal Palace 0 - 1 Sheff Utd 7.53 sub
Sheff Utd 2 - 1 Bournemouth 7.08 sub
Sheff Utd 1 - 1 Brighton 6.17 sub
Reading 1 - 2 Sheff Utd 5.01
Sheff Utd 1 - 0 Norwich 7.4
Aston Villa 0 - 0 Sheff Utd 5.63
Newcastle 3 - 0 Sheff Utd 5.17 sub
Man Utd 3 - 0 Sheff Utd 4.76
Sheff Utd 1 - 2 Arsenal 5.55
Sheff Utd 3 - 1 Tottenham
Burnley 1 - 1 Sheff Utd
Sheff Utd 1 - 0 Wolves
Sheff Utd 3 - 0 Chelsea 6.77 sub
Leicester 2 - 0 Sheff Utd 3.65 sub
Sheff Utd 0 - 1 Everton 3.67 sub

I think his position holding out for more money hasn’t gotten any better with the performances of Osborn, even if you take out Lunny we still have

Norwood
Fleck
Berge
Freeman
Osborn

and you could chuck in Didzy to do the Duffy role, but with the imminent arrival of Swift it basically makes Lunny surplus IMO.

11:43

FOUR PL CLUBS IN FOR LUNDSTRAM
Four Premier League clubs are considering a move for Sheffield United contract rebel John Lundstram.
After six months of negotiations, Lundstram has failed to agree an extension to his contract, which has now entered its final year.
If talks remain at a stalemate, manager Chris Wilder could be tempted to accept a fee this summer, rather than let the Liverpool-born midfielder go for free next year.
Lundstram received rave reviews in his debut season in the Premier League, scoring five goals, with three assists in 36 appearances, as United challenged for a European slot.

Bye Johnboy

I really wonder how effective he’d be in other set ups. He never shone for us in a two man midfield.

We should defnintely cash in while his stocks are relatively high. I think our style of play flatters him, and he could be a flop elsewhere. To be fair to him though hes come up with the goods when needed for us so would be sad to see him go, but if he doesnt want to sign, then he can f off.

I really wonder how effective he’d be in other set ups. He never shone for us in a two man midfield.

He'd fit in at a place like Burnley, which just seems to forever line up with a midfield of three fairly average central midfielders, who are all Premier League players no doubt but don't really excel at anything in particular, plus Dwight McNeil.

11:43

FOUR PL CLUBS IN FOR LUNDSTRAM
Four Premier League clubs are considering a move for Sheffield United contract rebel John Lundstram.
After six months of negotiations, Lundstram has failed to agree an extension to his contract, which has now entered its final year.
If talks remain at a stalemate, manager Chris Wilder could be tempted to accept a fee this summer, rather than let the Liverpool-born midfielder go for free next year.
Lundstram received rave reviews in his debut season in the Premier League, scoring five goals, with three assists in 36 appearances, as United challenged for a European slot.

Bye Johnboy

If there are four EPL clubs interested then let the bidding war begin. We need to set a high price and see what happens no more giving away on the cheap.

Back
Top Bottom