RIP Viv Busby

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

1973Blade

Reaction score
Briefly played on loan for us in the 80s. I'm sure he was an assistant manager for us as well, but I can't recall under which manager?

Saw him score his only goal for us at Saltergate early 1980, in a depressing 2-1 defeat.

It was my first match with an ale in me. My brother smuggled out a warm tin of Heldenbrau as I stood outside the Penny Black (didn't let 14 year olds in pubs then) and then another was taken on the Football Special. Tasted like poison, but obviously couldn't admit that at the time.

Didn't remember much of the first half, probably for the best.

RIP

Last edited:
I remember having a meal at Bowshaw in Dronfield with my wife one afternoon in April 1997. I was surprised to see Viv Busby, Howard Kendall and John Bailey there having a drink. I spoke to Viv and Howard, they were happy to have a 5 minute chat with me but John didnt really understand what I was saying so I carried on talking to Viv and Howard. I was telling them that I was happy with how they have changed our style of play and that I was confident of winning the play offs. I was surprised that Howard didnt seem sure of that! It was a lovely chat and Viv did most of the talking as he was easy to lipread.

RIP Viv

Saw him score his only goal for us at Saltergate early 1980, in a depressing 2-1 defeat.

It was my first match with an ale in me. My brother smuggled out a warm tin of Heldenbrau as I stood outside the Penny Black (didn't let 14 year olds in pubs then) and then another was taken on the Football Special. Tasted like poison, but obviously couldn't admit that at the time.

RIP
Think I was at that one. Not long after Boxing Day and the start of that season's slide.
RIP Viv.

RIP
Wasn’t that a cup match ??

They really were a jinx team for us , especially at Saltergate . I remember Alan Birch getting hit with an orange when he went to take a throw in , remember thinking who takes an orange to the match in winter lol ⚔️

Seen the Blades a few times at Saltergate and never seen us win.

Even went to see TC play for Torquay in a 3-2 defeat.

Not a happy ground for me. Not been to the new stadium as yet.
Think I had about 5 visits to Saltergate during the 80s and best I saw was a draw for us , haven’t visited new ground nether myself

I can't remember us drawing there?
Football League trophy ..think I also went for a pre season friendly ?? 84 ish think our first season back in the old 2nd division under Porterfield ( night match ) reason I remember was the team was warming up & we couldn’t work out who one of the players was … it was the first time I saw Kenworthy without the obligatory tash ! ⚔️

Truly devastated by the news…. Viv was one of the warmest, kindest and most caring people you could ever wish to meet. I had the pleasure of being in the office next door to Viv during his time with us and I will always remember the incredible man!

RIP Viv… never forgotten, your memory lives on in our hearts and the people who’s lives you have touched and influenced more than you will ever know

Can’t remember seeing a photo of Viv in a Blades kit before. This is from official site.

Attachments

• IMG_9684.jpeg
    IMG_9684.jpeg
    185.9 KB · Views: 5
Seen the Blades a few times at Saltergate and never seen us win.

Even went to see TC play for Torquay in a 3-2 defeat.

Not a happy ground for me. Not been to the new stadium as yet.
Our last victory at Saltergate was in 1950-51, which was the last time Chesterfield were in the second tier. We were winless in 6 league and cup games after that, all of which took place in the 1980s.

C.b.s.
Chesterfield bastard squad .
I actually stay in Chesterfield alot thru my partners job and we stay in the portland not too far from the old saltergate.
I went every game there from early 80s , we couldn't win to save our lives there. Behind goal and side terrace , I have loads of pics.
Trouble all day.
Best for me was mid 90s , I was visiting my parents at the Richmond campsite in skegness ...
Black lace were the main group on and sang gang bang and agadoo etc . About 20 cbs in there all ok till they saw my blades revival badge 1986 on my pringle jumper .
There were 3 of us blades and about 20 of them and we took a beating after the bar shut near the old toilet blocks.

Back
Top Bottom