Lundstram contract

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

11:43

FOUR PL CLUBS IN FOR LUNDSTRAM
Four Premier League clubs are considering a move for Sheffield United contract rebel John Lundstram.
After six months of negotiations, Lundstram has failed to agree an extension to his contract, which has now entered its final year.
If talks remain at a stalemate, manager Chris Wilder could be tempted to accept a fee this summer, rather than let the Liverpool-born midfielder go for free next year.
Lundstram received rave reviews in his debut season in the Premier League, scoring five goals, with three assists in 36 appearances, as United challenged for a European slot.

Bye Johnboy

Isn't this the sort things agents like to put out in the press to force the hand of clubs in contract negotiations?

Just 1 year and a few days ago you wouldn't have been surprised if he joined a mid-table League One team. The step up from hardly used squad player in the Championship to 1st team Premier League regular has been insane. I can't remember such a big transformation for a Blade in their mid 20's in recent memory.

The question is can he sustain the performances he showed last season? I do think Premier League teams will take him, purely for the fact they can get him on a free and his wages wouldn't be too bad for a squad player that can come on, run around a lot, hit an amazing long range through ball for a striker to run onto. Would people shell out decent money for him this summer though? I doubt it. We are therefore in a sticky position, get little for him this summer and get nothing in a year. I think best scenario seems to be keep him for one more year and let the contract run down.

The predicament is we just don't know how good he is going to be consistently and longer term.

So Chris rescues him from little Oxford and turns him into a Premirship player who then turns round and throws it all back in his face. Fuck him off Chris. Too many greedy bastards in football.
Not knowing what's going on behind the scenes I'd hesitate to call him a 'greedy bastard'. He's stepped up when required and always given 100 percent. If your career will end around age 32 it's natural to want to maximise your earnings before you retire. Lunny's almost certainly among the lowest paid players in the PL at the moment. He could potentially double his wages if he moves to a wealthy club. I wouldn't hold any grudge if he moved on.

When we got promoted I thought he'd be a useful squad player but maybe not quite in the role he started in.

His performances were above what I envisaged in an attacking sense but his overall contributions tailed off.

Without knowing what we're offering him and what he's likely to get elsewhere, it's hard to be too judgemental but I'll not lose sleep if he goes for a reasonable fee.

Just 1 year and a few days ago you wouldn't have been surprised if he joined a mid-table League One team. The step up from hardly used squad player in the Championship to 1st team Premier League regular has been insane. I can't remember such a big transformation for a Blade in their mid 20's in recent memory.

The question is can he sustain the performances he showed last season? I do think Premier League teams will take him, purely for the fact they can get him on a free and his wages wouldn't be too bad for a squad player that can come on, run around a lot, hit an amazing long range through ball for a striker to run onto. Would people shell out decent money for him this summer though? I doubt it. We are therefore in a sticky position, get little for him this summer and get nothing in a year. I think best scenario seems to be keep him for one more year and let the contract run down.

The predicament is we just don't know how good he is going to be consistently and longer term.
He won't be wanting squad player wages though, that's his problem with us.

Not sure where i stand on this one, before the season i wasn't too impressed with Lundstram, to be fair he played more than his part when called upon then since the signing of Berge he has played with the look of a kid with a slapped backside, their is a player in their no doubt the ball he played to Sharp during the Southampton game was absolute quality in terms of vision and weight of pass.

Personally id cash in and look to move on Im too old school to watch players sulking unless its the Moose (we can all have our favorites)

UTB

Guessing the majority in this thread have never requested a pay rise or moved jobs for more money?

Comments like “fuck him off” and “greedy bastard” do make me laugh, Lunny has no love for Sheffield United. Its his job.

Its a short career and the fans turn faster than milk on a warm day, so why not try and make the most of it.

Also, I completely understand its hard to comprehend footballers wanting more, when they earn thousands of pounds a week, fortunately for footballers that is the cards they have been dealt.

I can be honest enough to say I would follow the money if I was any good at football.

I'd sound him out on where his heart truly lies and if he wants out, I'd get the best possible price and start a bidding war in the process.

He's done well this year, much better than any of us every expected, but if selling him enables investment or protects other more valuable assets, then get the best deal done.

If he stays I'd look at the 20 games where he was very good and be a bit disappointed, if he goes I'd look at the games like Arsenal where he was absolutely dire and think "he could probably be replaced".

It'd be a shame to lose him, but we've got to stick with our principles on wages if we're going to be financially secure going forward.

I get the argument that it is a short career and players need to maximise what they earn but don't we all want more money? What football players seem to forget is some of their fans take a year to earn what an average Premier League nobody earns each and every week. Say a player is on 20k per week he has earned £1m in a year while poor Joe who works as a cleaner or something for the NHS will struggle to earn that in his 45-50 at the hospital doing vital work. The football player on £20k per week for his whole career will have £10m gone into his bank account he can hang his boots up at 35 and sit on his arse for another 35 years and still have a good standard of living compared to others. So yes they are greedy bastards.

Guessing the majority in this thread have never requested a pay rise or moved jobs for more money?

You wouldnt request a pay rise if you had been under performing though would you ? Lundstram IMHO has under performed this season on the whole. In football its not just the player they have agents and they are the money grabbing banana's trying to get more money. He may not have an agent which could be why the contract talks are not being sorted as quickly.

As for moving jobs for more money if no other club is coming in for him or for the "right money" and SUFC are saying here is your new contract with a bit more money but not what you want then its almost stalemate. Meanwhile you can alienate your Manager by not signing. Its not just about the money from the club side its also about whether you are committed to the club.

The football player on £20k per week for his whole career will have £10m gone into his bank account he can hang his boots up at 35 and sit on his arse for another 35 years and still have a good standard of living compared to others. So yes they are greedy bastards.

Not all will have the full wage saved up in the bank. What with tattoos, gambling, drinking etc because "they get bored" I would say most are greedy bastards because they dont save what they earn.

I think Lundstram has done very well this season, fair play to the lad if he and his agent feel he is worth more money or game time.

However, I do get the sense that a lot of the hype surrounding Lundstram online has come from fantasy football players. They put who him into their teams as a cheaply listed defender due to companies not really taking an interest in who we were when we got promoted and he was started in midfield scoring goals and creating assists. Low and behold premier league fans who call us the Sheffield blades of united FC from the outskirts of the Himalayas start to take an interest and Lord Lundstram is born. I wonder if Lundstram really thinks he is a Lord now, who knows? If he goes he goes, wilder will have already identified a replacement.

If he won't sign then get shut asap to maximise revenue

For me personally, Lunny does some good things, but also some not so good things. However, in my opinion, he's a player we can improve on. It's position that I don't believe we are getting the maximum out of and if we can raise the quality coming in, we will benefit more

Can't blame him for wanting out we have been looking to improve in his position for the whole of last season and played verge and besic their over him ,its no secret we want to sign someone to play in his role so its probably not about money for him
He just wants a move when his stock is at his highest and he deserves it for me after how well he did last season

Typical bloody scouser like Duffy. 90% are awkward buggers! I don't know what we've offered him but other players (e.g. Norwood, Fleck, Bash) have been happy to sign presumably within our existing wage structure. The fact he won't suggests he wants to try and break that structure. I know these guys have a short career but let's face it even if he is "only" on £20k a week that's still £1 mill a year (which is more than most people earn in a life time) and I bet he will have got a decent bonus last season for the club winning promotion and this season for staying in the EPL. He is a decent player but largely down to CWAK's coaching and plucking him from the obscurity of League One Oxford. He has been a major contributor this season although perhaps inconsistent. But who will ever forget his goal against CP - our first back in the PL and his winner against Bournemouth (I think it was them) when he was put through by Mousse. He would certainly be good enough to stay in our squad and get quite a bit of game time but he's not worth busting the wage structure for..

Would happily see him go, when he comes on the pitch he looks like he’s doing us a favour.

I can see him ending up like Duffy, he’s not a standout player in any sense for a PL midfielder but fits in our system and adjusted nicely. I imagine he’d be a benchwarmer for most other PL clubs. I’d cash in while we still can.

Something like 40% of ex-footballers go bankrupt, they are young, have no idea about money and never consider the future.
Big houses, big cars and everything else to go with it.
Most of ours seem to be sensible, but not all of them.

I will never understand the people who bash Lunny. He works hard scores goals and provides assists and is solid defensively. His stats are better than flecks in terms of goals assists and accurate passes. Imagine the uproar if fleck wanted to go, yet Lunny outperformed him last season and people want to see him gone it's mind blowing

Comments like “fuck him off” and “greedy bastard” do make me laugh, Lunny has no love for Sheffield United. Its his job.

Its a short career and the fans turn faster than milk on a warm day, so why not try and make the most of it.

Also, I completely understand its hard to comprehend footballers wanting more, when they earn thousands of pounds a week, fortunately for footballers that is the cards they have been dealt.

I can be honest enough to say I would follow the money if I was any good at football.
Greedy bastard! :) :) :) .

He was offered a pay rise, but he seemingly feels that being a short term Fantasy Premier League sensation warrants top earner at the club.

Something like 40% of ex-footballers go bankrupt, they are young, have no idea about money and never consider the future.
Big houses, big cars and everything else to go with it.
Most of ours seem to be sensible, but not all of them.

Lies lies and damn statistics.

There's not a chance on earth 40% of professional footballers end up bankrupt.

Back
Top Bottom