Leeds....

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

This is worth watching - for a few minutes, then it gets boring. He looks broken, but maybe that's how he does every interview - with head down. I can't help thinking that when the chips are down you want a Manager who can communicate direct to the players without the need for a translator and if this is how Bielsa does his team talks then its hardly inspiring!

Its how he always does them.

I think he does speak English, not perfectly but quite a few times he has corrected his translator when the translator has said something in English, he did it after our game vs you when the translator said something like "the goalie made a mistake", Bielsa said "no not the goalie the team".

Talk about kicking a man when he's down.

Cjay has been both reasonable and humble, and it's nice to have a discussion with someone other than a blade or a wednesdayite - can't see him sticking around if we're just going to goad him everytime Leeds drop points.

Its ok i am on a lot of forums, developed a very thick skin, i quite enjoy the more frosty posts.:)

Anyway all could be different by Monday night.

At the moment people dont expect us to beat WBA (i dont).

I expect you to beat Wednesday and Norwich to beat Millwall.

But Wednesday have improved under Bruce, unbeaten in 6 3 wins 3 draws.

Millwall gave Norwich a real scare at Norwich, that was the 4-3 2 90minute plus goals for Norwich game.

The Den is a difficult place to go to.

So anything could happen i hope.

I'd say we definitely are a physical side.

Egan, Basham, JOC, Stevens, Baldock, Fleck, Madine, are all strong physically. Sharp, Goldie, are no wallflowers either.

We are also a really good football team
I agree. As Chali pointed out, it’s often used as a euphemism for long ball hoofy sides, which we’re not but we’re not scared to get stuck in and battle when we have to. Regardless of what people who watched the game in the 70s say, it’s still a contact sport. They always say ‘you have to earn the right to play football’ and we do.

I'm sorry mate, but that is absoloute nonsense.

Even if it was true, a large, local fanbase counts for very little: it's one small piece of much larger equation - Just ask Newcastle.

These days a global fanbase is far more important, which is why clubs like City and Chelsea are a million light years ahead of teams like Leeds and Villa when it comes to competing at the top.

The worldwide fanbases are very fickle, the only thing they want is to wear the shirts of the clubs that win stuff.
20 years ago only Man Utd and possibly Liverpool had one
Now a dozen clubs have one

My Dad comes from a town in County Wexford in Ireland called Enniscorthy, there are loads of Leeds fans there, a few Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool fans, but practically the whole town supports Leeds, and of course Celtic for obvious reasons.

This isn't the only town in Ireland like that, Leeds are incredibly popular in Ireland as they are in all the Scandinavian countries.

I often visit relatives in Ireland and the flight home if I use Leeds/Bradford airport is usually full of them travelling to Elland Road, it's easy for them to get to, just like it is for fans to get to Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, Newcastle and London

An overseas fanbase would never happen for either Sheffield club if we won the Premier league 5 years running

The worldwide fanbases are very fickle, the only thing they want is to wear the shirts of the clubs that win stuff.
20 years ago only Man Utd and possibly Liverpool had one
Now a dozen clubs have one

It's not just about shirt sales, though that is a factor.

The benifit of having a global fanbase is mainly sponsorship: if your club is popular around the world then multinational companies will want to be associated with you.

My Dad comes from a town in County Wexford in Ireland called Enniscorthy, there are loads of Leeds fans there, a few Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool fans, but practically the whole town supports Leeds, and of course Celtic for obvious reasons.

This isn't the only town in Ireland like that, Leeds are incredibly popular in Ireland as they are in all the Scandinavian countries.

I often visit relatives in Ireland and the flight home if I use Leeds/Bradford airport is usually full of them travelling to Elland Road, it's easy for them to get to, just like it is for fans to get to Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, Newcastle and London

Travelling fans are great but they only contribute to match day income, which is a small fraction of a PL clubs takings: the majority coming from TV money and sponsorships.

I'm sure Leeds benifit from a few fans from Scandinavia and Ireland, but in reality it matters little.

An overseas fanbase would never happen for either Sheffield club if we won the Premier league 5 years running

This paragraph sums you up: unfounded self-deprication. Nonsense, essentially.

I dunno, ive been worried all season just because i thought our squad lacked quality in a few areas.

Then we let Saiz go, didnt get the winger Bielsa has wanted since the summer, to not get 2 quality players in for those two areas was staggering stupidity.

Dont think its a burn out its more once teams work out how to set up against you more often then not you need that bit of individual quality for something different, bit like Madine giving you a different option.

We dont have that, we need that player who could beat a man, draw players out of position to create space for others like Freeman was doing today.
Could have been so different for you if you'd got thst lad from Swansea
He's going to have premier league clubs queuing Round the block now after that turbo charged run and goal the other week

Could have been so different for you if you'd got thst lad from Swansea
He's going to have premier league clubs queuing Round the block now after that turbo charged run and goal the other week
Serves us right for pissing about, we dont do January windows well, never have.

Could have all been very different, Saiz doesnt decide he wants to go back to Spain, Bamford doesnt do his knee twice, we dont lose Bamford, Hernandez and Roofe for the exact same 6 games at the same time in September, such is life.

Serves us right for pissing about, we dont do January windows well, never have.

Could have all been very different, Saiz doesnt decide he wants to go back to Spain, Bamford doesnt do his knee twice, we dont lose Bamford, Hernandez and Roofe for the exact same 6 games at the same time in September, such is life.
Don’t come on here with your hard luck stories. You’re talking to Blades ffs. We invented bad luck.

Careful, you're beginning to sound like ol' Kev ;)
Well you could argue that it goes back to 1901 when we lost the FA Cup final to a ‘non-league’ side. Or 1939 when war broke out just as we were looking like world beaters. Or when we built a new stand just before a global recession and almost went out of business...

Shit the bed? We were shitting the bed before beds were invented.

This is worth watching - for a few minutes, then it gets boring. He looks broken, but maybe that's how he does every interview - with head down. I can't help thinking that when the chips are down you want a Manager who can communicate direct to the players without the need for a translator and if this is how Bielsa does his team talks then its hardly inspiring!

He's always like that.

Well you could argue that it goes back to 1901 when we lost the FA Cup final to a ‘non-league’ side. Or 1939 when war broke out just as we were looking like world beaters. Or when we built a new stand just before a global recession and almost went out of business...

Shit the bed? We were shitting the bed before beds were invented.

Next it'll be the top ten reasons why you can't get an erection :confused:

You shoulda said silly. Hair loss, decaying teeth, and failing cocks, if nor all, at least some of these happen at some point.

Nonsense! Regular washing and a good polish at least twice a day should prevent that. Don’t know about the hair loss and decaying teeth though :oops:

Nonsense! Regular washing and a good polish at least twice a day should prevent that. Don’t know about the hair loss and decaying teeth though :oops:

But I can no long afford a polisher, what am I to do, you can't possibly expect me to do this service, could you? I mean, I no longer possess the required silk mittens with which to do the necessary.

That Hitler bloke was a pig you know.

Wasn’t his lad their last manager?
Not sure. I think Megson was one of his. Early attempt at cloning, Boys From Brazil style, went horribly wrong.

But I can no long afford a polisher, what am I to do, you can't possibly expect me to do this service, could you? I mean, I no longer possess the required silk mittens with which to do the necessary.
Cow’s ear mate. Ask your butcher to save you one. Useful for chammying the car too.

It must be hard to be a Leeds fan especially if you are young, not all Leeds fans are bad they are just unfortunate to be born in Leeds a one club city with no alternative to support. They must wonder why every man and his dog hates them with a passion they haven't got a clue really.
But there is a hardcore of Leeds fans who are just the same as they were in the 60's right through to present day, the nasty bastards, bullies to a man. You see this was the culture of Leeds Utd under Don Revie even when they had all the top players they still had to kick fuck out of any team who played them and this transferred onto the terraces.
My first encounter was when I was 11 or 12 and a bloke from Leeds ran off with my new scarf on John st. I went to Bellend road 3x in the 70's and had trouble every time at 15yr old I got slapped by a bloke who was about 40 for no reason other than being from Sheffield. If you went anywhere in West Yorkshire Leeds fans would be there to have a pop be it Halifax, Huddersfield, York or just about anywhere Leeds would attract the dregs of society or glory hunters. When we went there in 1990 even the players wives and girl friends were attacked, Brian Clough was so right when he went to manage Leeds when he told them they had never won anything without cheating they were the team that invented running after the ref to intimidate him on every decision, time wasting, feigning injury was all made a fine art by the Revie team.
Then we have the owners who robbed the people and businesses of Leeds blind by going into administration Papa fucking smurf from Chelsea and Risdale who went on to ruin every club he touched. If someone were to write a Fit and Proper book on Leeds it would be the size of the Doomsday book
They are without a doubt an obnoxious club but you can't blame all their fans even if you can't get your head around why anyone would be attracted to support such a toxic club. Up until the late 60's they had never won owt in their entire history they were built on the cheating of Revie, they were nothing before that and have been nothing for the last 17 years, nearly as bad as the pigs from S6.

Excellent post Metalblade,

I’ve met Leeds fans on holiday abroad in the 80’s and they’ve always been incredibly obnoxious and arrogant.
Far far ahead of our S6 neighbours, I remember thinking at the time if Leeds struggle i’ll think back to these fans and laugh.

I’ve heard the media mention many times that Leeds United are such a historical traditional club
However LU were nothing before the early 1960’s, a similiar type of club to Wigan Athletic.
If you want tradition then Sheffield United have spent more seasons in the top flight than Leeds.
Also when Revie first went to Leeds he complained about how poor their attendances were.
However of course in the late 60’s (when colour tv came on the scene) to mid 70’s Leeds went on to be a fantastic team.

Really? I spend time in the company of Leeds fans. You try to have a general conversation about football in vain. All they are capable of talking about is Dirty Corrupt Leeds. It’s as though other clubs are simply making up the numbers. They are self-satisfied, deluded numpties.

So you have spent time in the company of exactly how many Leeds fans?

I wonder what that huge number and representative sample of their fan base made of you.

And I wonder if they decided that all Sheffield United fans are like you.

Leeds is a Rugby League city,it has no real tradition or affinity to the beautiful game.The rise of Leeds as a football force only emerged fairly recently during the Don Revie years,but more importantly,how can anyone take a club seriously when their players used to wear those bloody stupid 'pennant' style sock tie-ups in the 70's.

Excellent post Metalblade,

I’ve met Leeds fans on holiday abroad in the 80’s and they’ve always been incredibly obnoxious and arrogant.
Far far ahead of our S6 neighbours, I remember thinking at the time if Leeds struggle i’ll think back to these fans and laugh.

I’ve heard the media mention many times that Leeds United are such a historical traditional club
However LU were nothing before the early 1960’s, a similiar type of club to Wigan Athletic.
If you want tradition then Sheffield United have spent more seasons in the top flight than Leeds.
Also when Revie first went to Leeds he complained about how poor their attendances were.
However of course in the late 60’s (when colour tv came on the scene) to mid 70’s Leeds went on to be a fantastic team.

A little bit like Liverpool.

Everton are the true Liverpool club steeped in history. Liverpool since the 60s, Leeds since the 60s.

Just imagine if that glorious team of ours achieved something in the 70s. We'd be spoken of like those other teams.

Back
Top Bottom