League One Wes

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Another more than solid performance from LOW today. Made a couple of great reaction saves, came out and caught a couple and didn't have a chance with either goal. That save late on from Moore's header into the turf, when he tipped it over the bar, was outstanding. Gagey said that he would be expected to save it but Gagey's never played in goal and had a split second to gauge (lol) where the ball would be heading. I can guarantee that if Hendo had made that save, we'd be talking about it all week on here.

Another more than solid performance from LOW today. Made a couple of great reaction saves, came out and caught a couple and didn't have a chance with either goal. That save late on from Moore's header into the turf, when he tipped it over the bar, was outstanding. Gagey said that he would be expected to save it but Gagey's never played in goal and had a split second to gauge (lol) where the ball would be heading. I can guarantee that if Hendo had made that save, we'd be talking about it all week on here.
TBF it was a regulation save that Moore should've buried. His other saves were outstanding but he still worries me with the ball at his feet.

Won the game for us with his first two saves, as if we went in 3 down at half time, it would have been game over. Best keeper performance since we had Hendo. Keep it up LOW!

p.s. onle seen it in the flesh so not had benefit of replays, but the fans there knew how important he was and showed it.

What game did we lose with him in goal. Can't remember it off top of my head

Ah right. I forgot he played in that one. Cheers

Much better from championship wes today , if he can practice his distribution he could be no1

Much better from championship wes today , if he can practice his distribution he could be no1
Do you actually stand in front of a mirror practising saying stuff like this and trying to keep a straight face, before you post it on here? There's no shame in admitting that you now feel a bit foolish in view of what you've been saying about Wes recently. Or do we accept your lack of class as permanent?

Do you actually stand in front of a mirror practising saying stuff like this and trying to keep a straight face, before you post it on here? There's no shame in admitting that you now feel a bit foolish in view of what you've been saying about Wes recently. Or do we accept your lack of class as permanent?

I literally just said he played well today my opinion is he probably isn’t good enough

Rent free comes to mind 🤷‍♂️

I literally just said he played well today my opinion is he probably isn’t good enough

Rent free comes to mind 🤷‍♂️
I think the question for most with Wes is at which point does he actually become a decent keeper in the minds of the majority of the fans? Some people take longer to convince than others and due to DiCanio he does have an unfair stigma to overcome. You could argue the opposite is the case for Olsen.

If I look back now I probably have more negative posts on him than positive, not based on having substantial evidence on him (why would I? I watch United, not Rangers or Swindon) but probably more on soundbites and snippings prior to this season.

He has spent a fair amount of time in League One which helps to substantiate the 'League One Wes' comment. Though with only one spot open for keepers, he still amassed over 150 games at Swindon, so be can't have been a bad player or he'd have been discarded much sooner.

He's then got 112 apps for Rangers. As much as we deride Scottish football, Rangers have always given themselves a decent budget and have had to feature in Europe. There's no need for them to have carried a substandard keeper for over a hundred matches.

A mate of mine supports Rangers. When we signed him he had nothing negative to say. He said he was very solid for them. It's just that McGregor is a club legend and that's an opportunity they wanted to explore.

Early in his United career he wasn't at fault with goals vs Burnley, but didn't look confident and performed no heroics in the shootout and thus had little chance to overturn the League One Wes thing.

He's played 7 matches this season, kept 4 clean sheets and to my recollection apart from getting away with one away at Luton, he's made a superb reaction save against Peterborough when the game was finely poised, made a very good save from the corner vs Bristol City, made a solid save from Carroll vs Reading, performed heroics yesterday at key moments, his handling has been impeccable from crosses throughout and he's not been at fault for any of the 6 goals conceded.

I also think Olsen has the opposite to this 'stigma'. He's Sweden's number one so he just be good. He went to the Euros, so he must be good.

After 4 years of small clubs and lower league, he got a move to Malmo at 22 and was the first choice while he was 24. At 25, he got transferred to PAOK after winning keeper of the year in Sweden. After 7 games there he lost his place after a high scoring 3-3 draw with Iraklis. After little time there, he then moved back to Scandinavia, this time to Copenhagen initially on loan. He had a more successful spell there until he took on the ominous challenge of replacing Allison at Roma in 2018. Just like at Iraklis, he also lost his slot there after a hammering against Napoli 4-1. He was loaned to Cagliari but again lost his starting spot after a sending off and 4 match ban followed by a score draw with relegation rivals Brescia. He's since moved to Everton as back up and now finds his spot questioned with us. He hasn't been an undisputed regular starter since the 17/18 season with Copenhagen almost 4 seasons back. He's the international keeper for Sweden but his two 'rivals' are a youth that cannot get in the squad at Watford and is on loan at the bottom of League One and Nordfelt, who spent 5 years being understudy at Swansea and amassing just 25 first team matches.

I don't disagree with your prior comments on Verrips. He did some good work in Holland last year, away from the limelight and whilst he can't be as bad as his West Brom debut vs catapults it is going to take him a few appearances to dilute thet abberation and with 2 other senior keepers I doubt he'll get the chance, unfortunately for him.

I think the question for most with Wes is at which point does he actually become a decent keeper in the minds of the majority of the fans? Some people take longer to convince than others and due to DiCanio he does have an unfair stigma to overcome. You could argue the opposite is the case for Olsen.

If I look back now I probably have more negative posts on him than positive, not based on having substantial evidence on him (why would I? I watch United, not Rangers or Swindon) but probably more on soundbites and snippings prior to this season.

He has spent a fair amount of time in League One which helps to substantiate the 'League One Wes' comment. Though with only one spot open for keepers, he still amassed over 150 games at Swindon, so be can't have been a bad player or he'd have been discarded much sooner.

He's then got 112 apps for Rangers. As much as we deride Scottish football, Rangers have always given themselves a decent budget and have had to feature in Europe. There's no need for them to have carried a substandard keeper for over a hundred matches.

A mate of mine supports Rangers. When we signed him he had nothing negative to say. He said he was very solid for them. It's just that McGregor is a club legend and that's an opportunity they wanted to explore.

Early in his United career he wasn't at fault with goals vs Burnley, but didn't look confident and performed no heroics in the shootout and thus had little chance to overturn the League One Wes thing.

He's played 7 matches this season, kept 4 clean sheets and to my recollection apart from getting away with one away at Luton, he's made a superb reaction save against Peterborough when the game was finely poised, made a very good save from the corner vs Bristol City, made a solid save from Carroll vs Reading, performed heroics yesterday at key moments, his handling has been impeccable from crosses throughout and he's not been at fault for any of the 6 goals conceded.

I also think Olsen has the opposite to this 'stigma'. He's Sweden's number one so he just be good. He went to the Euros, so he must be good.

After 4 years of small clubs and lower league, he got a move to Malmo at 22 and was the first choice while he was 24. At 25, he got transferred to PAOK after winning keeper of the year in Sweden. After 7 games there he lost his place after a high scoring 3-3 draw with Iraklis. After little time there, he then moved back to Scandinavia, this time to Copenhagen initially on loan. He had a more successful spell there until he took on the ominous challenge of replacing Allison at Roma in 2018. Just like at Iraklis, he also lost his slot there after a hammering against Napoli 4-1. He was loaned to Cagliari but again lost his starting spot after a sending off and 4 match ban followed by a score draw with relegation rivals Brescia. He's since moved to Everton as back up and now finds his spot questioned with us. He hasn't been an undisputed regular starter since the 17/18 season with Copenhagen almost 4 seasons back. He's the international keeper for Sweden but his two 'rivals' are a youth that cannot get in the squad at Watford and is on loan at the bottom of League One and Nordfelt, who spent 5 years being understudy at Swansea and amassing just 25 first team matches.

I don't disagree with your prior comments on Verrips. He did some good work in Holland last year, away from the limelight and whilst he can't be as bad as his West Brom debut vs catapults it is going to take him a few appearances to dilute thet abberation and with 2 other senior keepers I doubt he'll get the chance, unfortunately for him.
Lots of good points there.

Wes has been decent so far but his save off Bogle was really top draw IMO.

As for Olsen, you can only go on what you have seen and he's not been great and given 2 or 3 dodgy ones away.

As for Verrips. Is he injured? Because if not he now seems to be 4th choice behind Eastwood, meaning no matter how good he is, we won't see him in the first team again

Back
Top Bottom