League One Wes

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

He's made one mistake in 3 games I think.

It doesn’t matter if he hasn’t made a mistake he doesn’t look assured at all he made a good save today but one every keeper should make

Every time he had the ball at his feet he had ages and took until the last last second to clear about 5 times

He’s an ok back up but Olsen is much better IMO and will be in a back 5 in front of him anyway

He's probably a confidence player.

Show him some love and he'll pump his chest out and be brave and back himself.

Let's bow jinx him but he's made some key saves. Even the emphatic 6-2 vs Peterborough could have been very different had he not made a crucial save part way through the match.

Winning breeds confidence and no goals conceded in 3 matches will have done him no harm at all.

Which is weird because I actually think his main issue is overconfidence. I remember watching him when he was at Swindon and thinking the same. A lot of the problems he causes are because he takes too many unnecessary touches on the ball and it’s like he’s trying to overplay and ‘show off’ a little before he gets rid. I would also say that since coming back into the team that’s been toned down a little bit there are still flashes of it, so maybe that’s why he’s started to look a little more solid.

I think it does as a goalkeeper. Agree that Olsen should look better in front of this defence though

Of course but he just doesn’t fill me with confidence

I think also is just generally much better not a clue who heckingbottom will pick as no1

I thought he had a decent game with the exception (as pointed out) of his distribution from the ground.
There was one mistake that led to a chance for which he atoned brilliantly with a fantastic save. There was also another great save when Egan turned a cross towards goal. Don't think he got enough credit for that.
He's doing well behind a more solid 3 Centre back group. At the moment he has the shirt and deserves to keep it.
I do however think that Olsen will come good for us too and again would look better behind the 3 Centre Backs.

I was surprised when we signed him and I didn't have confidence in him to be our number 1 after Ramsdale left.

Fair play though. I think he's been largely faultless when he's played this season. He's certainly won me round.

Need to help him out by not firing bouncing balls at him in slippery conditions.

Made a smart denial off a deflection out in front from a low cross too in the 2nd half, could’ve gone anywhere and there was Bristol men unmarked waiting to tap in any rebound.

must say he does leave it till the last minute to stick his foot through it.

Reactions: Dkc

It doesn’t matter if he hasn’t made a mistake he doesn’t look assured at all he made a good save today but one every keeper should make

Every time he had the ball at his feet he had ages and took until the last last second to clear about 5 times

He’s an ok back up but Olsen is much better IMO and will be in a back 5 in front of him anyway

Wes had 4 clean sheets in 6 games while Olsen has 1 clean sheet in a 11.

At the moment Wes looks the better GK.

Great to get another clean sheet, and I’m pleased for Wes personally. But… I do think people are getting a little carried away. The switch to the back 3 has undoubtedly helped and Wes did make a good save from the glancing header which was vital at 0-0.

However, his kicking isn’t his strongest attribute - he made poor clearances on about 3 occasions (including the one which led to their subsequent chance from the corner).

More alarmingly for me, Wes just doesn’t command his area and isn’t decisive enough. Basham had a go at him yesterday for not coming off his line to collect a clearance as he remained static. And we were very lucky not to concede last week when Cov put a cross-come shot into the area, which evaded everyone, whilst Wes remained rooted to the spot. Surely others noticed this?

Olsen has been very disappointing. Wes has been quite good rather than dire like Verrips. But nothing in his career suggests he’s going to be a consistent top level Championship keeper. So I still hope a new, permanent number 1 is at the top of Hecky’s shopping list.

Wes’s passiveness will absolutely cost us points. It’s just a question of when.

I see the comments about his kicking but as build up play we do not kick long that often. One thing I have seen, and not only yesterday but last 3 games, is he distributes it a lot quicker than Olsen. It does start us moving quicker (it was the cbs that slowed it then down against Coventry).

Or maybe Wes should’ve learnt to use his other foot with equal confidence. 🤔

Much better than Olsen though, at least he looks like he wants to be at the club.
I think he’s pretty decent with both feet. He had the one yesterday with his right where he passed to their midfielder but apart from that he’s been good with both.

Olsen is still injured I presume? So until he is fit, our "football manager" doesnt have much of an option. Lets see what happens when Olsen returns to fitness. Interesting that Eastwood was on the bench and not Verrips (unless I missed him picking up a knock).

Great to get another clean sheet, and I’m pleased for Wes personally. But… I do think people are getting a little carried away. The switch to the back 3 has undoubtedly helped and Wes did make a good save from the glancing header which was vital at 0-0.

However, his kicking isn’t his strongest attribute - he made poor clearances on about 3 occasions (including the one which led to their subsequent chance from the corner).

More alarmingly for me, Wes just doesn’t command his area and isn’t decisive enough. Basham had a go at him yesterday for not coming off his line to collect a clearance as he remained static. And we were very lucky not to concede last week when Cov put a cross-come shot into the area, which evaded everyone, whilst Wes remained rooted to the spot. Surely others noticed this?

Olsen has been very disappointing. Wes has been quite good rather than dire like Verrips. But nothing in his career suggests he’s going to be a consistent top level Championship keeper. So I still hope a new, permanent number 1 is at the top of Hecky’s shopping list.

Wes’s passiveness will absolutely cost us points. It’s just a question of when.
If you don't think Wes commands his area you should see Olsen.. literally like someone's super glued his boots to the goal line!

Wes comfortably outdoes Olsen in that regard for me.

Olsen is still injured I presume? So until he is fit, our "football manager" doesnt have much of an option. Lets see what happens when Olsen returns to fitness. Interesting that Eastwood was on the bench and not Verrips (unless I missed him picking up a knock).
Verrips was injured

Fook me, three clean sheets in a row…what else could you ask for?
Olsen is the bomb scare, our defense don’t trust him.
Exactly, why would anybody be moaning about a keeper that's just kept 3 clean sheets after nearly half a season of looking like we concede 2 or 3 every game. He could have another 10 shut outs in a row and some wierdo's would still be moaning that he doesn't fill them with confidence. The bottom line is Wes is in much better form than Olsen however you look at it and deserves to play.

Back
Top Bottom