League One Wes

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

He's absolutely on the top of his form and confidence now, some great saves. He's a good solid second choice option and we need to invest, but he's very much proving me wrong!

I think the question for most with Wes is at which point does he actually become a decent keeper in the minds of the majority of the fans? Some people take longer to convince than others and due to DiCanio he does have an unfair stigma to overcome. You could argue the opposite is the case for Olsen.

If I look back now I probably have more negative posts on him than positive, not based on having substantial evidence on him (why would I? I watch United, not Rangers or Swindon) but probably more on soundbites and snippings prior to this season.

He has spent a fair amount of time in League One which helps to substantiate the 'League One Wes' comment. Though with only one spot open for keepers, he still amassed over 150 games at Swindon, so be can't have been a bad player or he'd have been discarded much sooner.

He's then got 112 apps for Rangers. As much as we deride Scottish football, Rangers have always given themselves a decent budget and have had to feature in Europe. There's no need for them to have carried a substandard keeper for over a hundred matches.

A mate of mine supports Rangers. When we signed him he had nothing negative to say. He said he was very solid for them. It's just that McGregor is a club legend and that's an opportunity they wanted to explore.

Early in his United career he wasn't at fault with goals vs Burnley, but didn't look confident and performed no heroics in the shootout and thus had little chance to overturn the League One Wes thing.

He's played 7 matches this season, kept 4 clean sheets and to my recollection apart from getting away with one away at Luton, he's made a superb reaction save against Peterborough when the game was finely poised, made a very good save from the corner vs Bristol City, made a solid save from Carroll vs Reading, performed heroics yesterday at key moments, his handling has been impeccable from crosses throughout and he's not been at fault for any of the 6 goals conceded.

I also think Olsen has the opposite to this 'stigma'. He's Sweden's number one so he just be good. He went to the Euros, so he must be good.

After 4 years of small clubs and lower league, he got a move to Malmo at 22 and was the first choice while he was 24. At 25, he got transferred to PAOK after winning keeper of the year in Sweden. After 7 games there he lost his place after a high scoring 3-3 draw with Iraklis. After little time there, he then moved back to Scandinavia, this time to Copenhagen initially on loan. He had a more successful spell there until he took on the ominous challenge of replacing Allison at Roma in 2018. Just like at Iraklis, he also lost his slot there after a hammering against Napoli 4-1. He was loaned to Cagliari but again lost his starting spot after a sending off and 4 match ban followed by a score draw with relegation rivals Brescia. He's since moved to Everton as back up and now finds his spot questioned with us. He hasn't been an undisputed regular starter since the 17/18 season with Copenhagen almost 4 seasons back. He's the international keeper for Sweden but his two 'rivals' are a youth that cannot get in the squad at Watford and is on loan at the bottom of League One and Nordfelt, who spent 5 years being understudy at Swansea and amassing just 25 first team matches.

I don't disagree with your prior comments on Verrips. He did some good work in Holland last year, away from the limelight and whilst he can't be as bad as his West Brom debut vs catapults it is going to take him a few appearances to dilute thet abberation and with 2 other senior keepers I doubt he'll get the chance, unfortunately for him.
Including Southampton he's played 8 games this year but otherwise a very good assessment.

He's got first place for me. Comes out to collect. Defence knows where he is. Distributes well. Commands the box.
Not perfect, but a trustworthy keeper.
No keeper is perfect.

Here’s a collection of England’s current number one in action..

Including Southampton he's played 8 games this year but otherwise a very good assessment.
I'd forgotten about the league cup. He made a very good save there too I think, flicking one onto the far post.

Wes has been judged unfairly by a lot on here. He is doing a fine job. There has been an upturn in results since he came in which is a combination of the better defensive set up and their trust in the keeper.

Olsen is an expensive wage and loan slot that we could use far more pressingly elsewhere in the team. I would book a flight to Rome, get him on it and commit to Wes as our no 1.

He may be league one, but he's our league one 😃

League one Wes is turning into League one promotion candidate Wes

Wes will do us fine for the rest of the season imo. We've far more pressing matters that need addressing.
He's been top drawer since he came back in and we should give him the credit he deserves.
Nope, no. Not having it.

This is far too serious of a reply from you. Where's the nonsense?

Some (one in particular) of our fans are desperate for him to do something wrong so they can say "told you he's shit, get Olsen back in".

I'm just thinking back now, at the time of his move to Rangers there was a lot of clamour for his signature and he was highly rated. I think a few on here tentatively suggested we should've gone for him?

Thinking back, it might be that that ability persists and there is an asset and a player in there??

Clean sheet Wes strikes again 👍

Get fucked Olsen, I hope you get recaro burn at Villa.

It was a great save. Although the random cliche generator that is, Lee Hendrie said at one point it was world class. If that’s true, I fancy I’ve made at least a couple of world class saves over my park football, jumpers for goalposts career!

His stats are superb - comfortably the highest percentage of those who've played >3 games in the Champ this season:

View attachment 130366

For comparison - 2018/19 promo end-of-season stats:

View attachment 130367
Good stats, however I'll be surprised if he keeps to that level for the rest of the season
As an aside I thought Huddersfields keeper Lee Nicholls looked top class, looks an excellent free signing for them from MK Dons

Good old league one les, hes now the perfect fit for the dog and duck, hope someone told him being serenaded as league one les is a huge honour, we take pride in our humble dog and duck club, well done les

Back
Top Bottom