John Terry

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I recall hearing this on several occasions, often from new owners of clubs, when they appoint some random. I’m not buying it. You wouldn’t do it in any other type of business. IMO, in the top two divisions, it’s too difficult for a novice, there’s too little margin for error, particularly when it’s imperative a club gets promoted. Even Blessin makes me nervous and he’s actually got some experience. I keep thinking about Jack Ross. He looked like he was going to be someone a bit special...
It’s worked in other sports but football is very much a closed shop. There are the odd exceptions that haven’t been indoctrinated in football from a young age but they are few and far between.

I just despise the cluster of British managers who always seem to pick up a job based on historic ‘success’ without doing anything relevant for 10-15 years. There has to be a better option than them.

Another article linking John Terry with us because apparently "we want a big name". Just like Alexander Blessin is of course?!

This John Terry link must have come from one source only in my view- Terry's agent wanting interest in his client. If John Terry wants to be a manager I would suggest to him to go and do what Wilder did and start in the non-league or League 2 and do your apprentership, but he thinks doing his apprentership is starting in the Championship! I don't think lamy clubs are daft enough to do that, other than Derby and that's not worked out that well in my view! Rooney might prove me wrong, but I think, again, he should have started lower down. Lampard had three or four quality loans and was able to spend millions and did ok, nothing more.
Terry will get a chance in the champ someone will be daft enough to do it. Even if he’s a great success for whoever appoints him the decision making process would still be wrong.

It’s worked in other sports but football is very much a closed shop. There are the odd exceptions that haven’t been indoctrinated in football from a young age but they are few and far between.

I just despise the cluster of British managers who always seem to pick up a job based on historic ‘success’ without doing anything relevant for 10-15 years. There has to be a better option than them.
Yeah, a foreign one like Farke who’d worked as both a manager and a DoF before joining Norwich. I’d even take Appleton over someone with no experience, I think he’s got another promotion in him.

There’s a strong link between how well a club is run and the success of a manager. We laughed at Carlos, who’d had a million jobs before pigs but look at him now.

As English clubs become more like continental clubs in the way they’re run, managers will become more dependent on having a good DoF and support staff. Continental clubs are more relaxed about managers’ previous “failures” because they know it’s not always the sole fault of the manager. We seem to be going down this route and, if we are, we need to sort out our recruitment network pretty fucking quick, or whoever we get will struggle. The new bloke will come in, assess the squad and say I need players for these positions - who’ve we got on the list? We’re all focused on who the manager will be but that’s only half the story. If it’s going to be Van Winckle, presumably he’ll be in charge of bringing the new bloke in.

Terry will get a chance in the champ someone will be daft enough to do it. Even if he’s a great success for whoever appoints him the decision making process would still be wrong.
I’m getting old and my brain is deteriorating but can you think of a comparative scenario? When was the last time a championship club appointed a novice and it was successful. All I can think of is Robson at Boro, when he was given a large chequebook. Lampard did OK, wasn’t a disaster but didn’t achieve his brief, which was to get them promoted.

Re. Rumours that John Terry is on a shortlist to replace CW.

This thug is the last person who should be coming to our club.
I would not watch the Blades under his leadership and would wait until he had left.

Opinions?
Please let this never happen; it would be the perfect example of a selection being based on image rather than substance.

We need a Blessin' not a curse ;-)

How about Ian Evatt then? 😉

I’m getting old and my brain is deteriorating but can you think of a comparative scenario? When was the last time a championship club appointed a novice and it was successful. All I can think of is Robson at Boro, when he was given a large chequebook. Lampard did OK, wasn’t a disaster but didn’t achieve his brief, which was to get them promoted.
Yeah I’d say Lampard was average got them to the playoffs which is what that squad was achieving before he arrived. How are we defining novice? As in never managed anywhere else at senior level? Because I’d say probably cooper at Swansea lots of experience with Liverpool and England at junior level but Swansea is his first senior job.

Terry will get a job at champ level for the advertising, exposure, sponsorship and press coverage value as opposed to actually being good. As I said even if he’s a roaring success the decision making process of appointing a manager based on what they were as a player would still be shockingly bad.

Re. Rumours that John Terry is on a shortlist to replace CW.

This thug is the last person who should be coming to our club.
I would not watch the Blades under his leadership and would wait until he had left.

Opinions?
PS: I'd only get worried about this rumour if they start building a helipad in the Cherry Street car park so he can fly to and from Surrey daily.

Doubt he'll be looking to slum it in Dore, Totley or the Peak District!

Yeah I’d say Lampard was average got them to the playoffs which is what that squad was achieving before he arrived. How are we defining novice? As in never managed anywhere else at senior level? Because I’d say probably cooper at Swansea lots of experience with Liverpool and England at junior level but Swansea is his first senior job.

Terry will get a job at champ level for the advertising, exposure, sponsorship and press coverage value as opposed to actually being good. As I said even if he’s a roaring success the decision making process of appointing a manager based on what they were as a player would still be shockingly bad.
Cooper’s a good shout as he’s a kind of halfway house between novice and experienced. Never managed a club before but has won a World Cup with a youth team. Although it’s debatable whether he’s been a success. Swansea play good football but he’s not got them promoted. If they’ve decided that’s what they want, that they’re a championship club and want to play good football first and foremost, with promotion just being a bonus, he’s done well. If they brought him in to get them up, he’s not succeeded yet.

Didn’t Roy Keane have one good season before the novelty wore off?

Didn’t Roy Keane have one good season before the novelty wore off?
Good one. Yes, he looked great at Sunderland for a season or so, smashed the championship. He’s a bit of a knob too, like Terry.

Cooper’s a good shout as he’s a kind of halfway house between novice and experienced. Never managed a club before but has won a World Cup with a youth team. Although it’s debatable whether he’s been a success. Swansea play good football but he’s not got them promoted. If they’ve decided that’s what they want, that they’re a championship club and want to play good football first and foremost, with promotion just being a bonus, he’s done well. If they brought him in to get them up, he’s not succeeded yet.
Yeah I don’t think it’s a promotion or bust thing there think it was publicised that their American owners went on a bit of a cost cutting exercise following relegation hence them avaerging one big sale per summer since relegation without buying to adequately replace. They’ve been artificially buoyed by two good coaches in cooper and potter but that’s not sustainable in terms of the consistent sales and eventually the bottom will drop out of it.

Listening to the finance podcast, the loss of PL status and our prestige value to UnitedWorld, a big name pairing of Fat Frank and Terry might be a big attraction for HRH and globally pinch some of the Chelski followers.

Listening to the finance podcast, the loss of PL status and our prestige value to UnitedWorld, a big name pairing of Fat Frank and Terry might be a big attraction for HRH and globally pinch some of the Chelski followers.
Like I said someone will do it purely for the commercial value hope it’s not us mind you but I could see the none footballing logic behind it.

Like I said someone will do it purely for the commercial value hope it’s not us mind you but I could see the none footballing logic behind it.

I totally get your point Yogi, but its not just like he'd turn up to an interview and say "I once (sort of) lifted the Champions League" (lol) and played for England give me the job, he'd have to submit his plans and ideas surely... you'd hope anyway wouldn't ya?

I just dunno anymore haha

Would rather give it someone off the kop.

I really do despair at our fans sometimes.
They don't want an Ex International footballer who played at the highest level in England lifted countless trophies of which Blades fans can only dream about winning. Who could have just retired and lived comfortably off his earnings doing a bit of TV work like a lot of Ex players do. But instead chose to be come an assistant manager to learn the trade, something he has done at Premiership and Championship level for a good few years now.
You would rather give the job too "Gerrit forward Blades" man from the kop.

They don't want an Ex International footballer who played at the highest level in England lifted countless trophies of which Blades fans can only dream about winning. Who could have just retired and lived comfortably off his earnings doing a bit of TV work like a lot of Ex players do. But instead chose to be come an assistant manager to learn the trade, something he has done at Premiership and Championship level for a good few years now.
Fair points very well made.....👏.....Terry will always polarise opinion, he was a bit of a twat as a player, (he will never live down the "full kit wanker" thing 😂) but you are right, to be fair to him he has kept his head down, earned his badges and served a good apprenticeship at Villa...he will get a chance somewhere soon but will still be seen as a huge gamble....one I don't think SUFC should be taking at this moment.

How about Ian Evatt then? 😉
It would be a gamble and personally don’t think he’s ready but if he interviewed well and fits in with the owners expectations then it’s not the worst idea. I really think we’ll go foreign this time though and Evatt will be seen as too ‘Brexity’ again.

Don't get me wrong, off the pitch the guys an absolute weapons grade bellend.

However as a player he had great success, worked under a variety of top drawer managers, always gave 100% and was a better player than may give him credit for. Also it's not like he retired went onto soccer Saturday and became a ten bob expert who just decided he fancied ago at the management malarky, he's put got his badges and put in the graft, even if his name opened doors it wouldn't have for others.

I think we could make far worse appointments

Both JTs know each other, Senrab FC a local London youth club founded by Tindalls father. Coincidence?

If you can’t foresee a gang of fans screaming “Geh-art of our club Terreh yer cockney bastard” about 10 games in, are you really a Blade at all?

I don't want any full kit wankers at our club, thanks.

I totally get your point Yogi, but its not just like he'd turn up to an interview and say "I once (sort of) lifted the Champions League" (lol) and played for England give me the job, he'd have to submit his plans and ideas surely... you'd hope anyway wouldn't ya?

I just dunno anymore haha
Oh he’ll make a pitch and talk the talk but there’s literally nothing for him to point too and say look I did it there even at youth level. I’d imagine Rooney talked the talked when he interviewed for derby but I also think 32 red agreeing to pay his wages in a sponsorship deal sure helped them make the decision.

Horses very rarely make good jockeys. It's a totally different skill set.

It makes literally no odds what’s he’s won as a player. Looks a Brian robson, he didn’t exactly succeed in management did he.

Just like then we would be appointing a name and nothing more. I’d hate this appointment

Back
Top Bottom