John Swift

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The season's not even finished yet. Foderingham was in on a free and will upgrade our keeper back-up spot. Swift at £3.5m is a very good deal. Reading fans think it's a steal. He's coming in to hopefully be first choice RCM next season. He can play as a number 10 as well.

That's two signings costing just a few million between them and clearly upgrading our squad as a whole. And the season hasn't even finished yet. No need to moan. Paper talk will tell you a striker is on our list, so I think you'll just need to have a bit of patience. There's a long way to go until the start of next season. Christ, this one hasn't even finished.

I'm not doubting he's a good player, however unless Lundstram leaves it seems pointless buying a RM when we have a £22m club record signing in that position.

I'm more than happy with us having decent backup and a strong squad, however I don't like seeing good players sat on the bench with little or no prospect of playing. I realise that the other option is that we have shit players on the bench so it's a hard one for CW to manage.

Eze is not and never will be a striker. we don’t play a number 10 anymore.
...and there I was thinking that we pretty much tweak our formation every season, and I'm sure we've played with a number 10 at numerous times this year during the game.

...and there I was thinking that we pretty much tweak our formation every season, and I'm sure we've played with a number 10 at numerous times this year during the game.
You mean if we go a goal behind?

I'm not doubting he's a good player, however unless Lundstram leaves it seems pointless buying a RM when we have a £22m club record signing in that position.

I'm more than happy with us having decent backup and a strong squad, however I don't like seeing good players sat on the bench with little or no prospect of playing. I realise that the other option is that we have shit players on the bench so it's a hard one for CW to manage.

Berge's future isnt at RCM, so we need someone else fighting it out with Lundstram for that spot. Every chance that Swift will be an improvement on Lundstram there, without even getting to the fact that next year will be Lunny's last on his contract and all suggestions are he's playing hardball over an extension. Wilder would be mad not to bring someone else in for that role.

Lunny has been poor for a while and is in a clear contract dispute with the club which look like it's affecting his performances and will definitely impact him next season if not resolved. This is backup solution similar to Osborn, Robinson, and Freeman and at that level of outlay would seem a no brainer.

We'd have much better cover all across our midfield, regardless of if we want to play a flat 3, a double fulcrum/pivot (4-2-3-1), or with a 10 and a front two and it gives us the ability to better rotate and rest the squad when required.

Left - Freeman, Osborn, Fleck;
Right - Berge, Swift, Lunny/replacement;
Holding Norwood, Berge.
No 10; Freeman, Swift.

I think we'll see a couple more, certainly one in attack in the No10 or supporting striker role, and potentially a replacement for Lunny if he leaves.

Lunny has been poor for a while and is in a clear contract dispute with the club which look like it's affecting his performances and will definitely impact him next season if not resolved. This is backup solution similar to Osborn, Robinson, and Freeman and at that level of outlay would seem a no brainer.

We'd have much better cover all across our midfield, regardless of if we want to play a flat 3, a double fulcrum/pivot (4-2-3-1), or with a 10 and a front two and it gives us the ability to better rotate and rest the squad when required.

Holding Norwood, Berge.
No 10; Freeman, Swift.

I think we'll see a couple more, certainly one in attack in the No10 or supporting striker role, and potentially a replacement for Lunny if he leaves.

As long as he's seen as a backup option I'm fine with the signing and I think that Lundstram will either move on or be frozen out for his contractual situation. If it then is Swift/Berge for RM then I know who'll play so Swift is decent backup for £3.5m.

As long as he's seen as a backup option I'm fine with the signing and I think that Lundstram will either move on or be frozen out for his contractual situation. If it then is Swift/Berge for RM then I know who'll play so Swift is decent backup for £3.5m.
I guess it depends on how he performs, if he outperforms Berge that will mean he's really stepping up and Berge could slot back into the preferred holding role.
I think we'll see another signing for the right too IF Lunny moves on but I think it's a really good start for us and at an amazingly good price which again shows the value in the Championship market this summer.

Think with this signing we'll see Berge drop to cdm (his natural position) with swift at RCM. We all saw the picture posted in the conference room with ON and a ? Below.. Berge was bought in for the cdm role as admitted to via wilder. Excellent bit of business imo. Much to be excited about and a snip at 3.5m.

Think with this signing we'll see Berge drop to cdm (his natural position) with swift at RCM. We all saw the picture posted in the conference room with ON and a ? Below.. Berge was bought in for the cdm role as admitted to via wilder. Excellent bit of business imo. Much to be excited about and a snip at 3.5m.

Pretty sure Wilder said the same in a post match interview.

View from will be quite mixed on this judging by the responses on twitter from Reading fans.

Maybe a bit of fan denial. Expect £3.5m is a steal, £8m then we're talking, he's replaceable, only turned up 1 in 5 games, won't be missed, best player this season. Real Mish mash

It’s in the Sheffield Star again this morning. It does seem like this is more than a rumour and looks a real possibility.

I do like the sound of this if it all comes through.
I reckon the Star journalists tracked the same private jet as I did on Flight Radar from Donny to somewhere near Reading yesterday afternoon and made the same massive assumption that I did :)

I guess it depends on how he performs, if he outperforms Berge that will mean he's really stepping up and Berge could slot back into the preferred holding role.
I think we'll see another signing for the right too IF Lunny moves on but I think it's a really good start for us and at an amazingly good price which again shows the value in the Championship market this summer.

I think the 3 year contract and the performances over the last 2 seasons of Ollie Norwood might have an influence over just moving Berge into CM. It will happen eventually but shunting the team captain to the bench won't just happen without solid justification.

Holding Norwood, Berge.
No 10; Freeman, Swift.

Did i dream it or has Ancelotti told Besic he is surplus?

General consensus down here is that he's a very good player and worthy of a shot at the Prem. Hampered by injuries over the last couple of years and may find the shift to an intensive pressing game (esp if he plays RCM) a shock. Pretty much everyone agrees that £3.5m is an absolute steal made all the more attractive by Leeds also being in for him :)

As a PL side a signing at £3.5m is a no risk. Worst case scenario he doesn’t quite make the grade but we have a great squad player.

It's good we're getting him in early.

I don't doubt the lads talent with the ball, he has good footwork & seems to be quite creative.
To make it at as a regular at this level he will need to add industry, athleticism, physicality, competitiveness & consistency to his game.

I can only assume that Luke Freeman has fallen short on the above (though he's looked good in games).

The one thing that has shocked me about the Premier League is the huge step up in strength & conditioning.

£3.5m and any fee is still a risk to United.
we are not an established side in the top division in a 60k stadium, filling it week in week out and raking in 100’s of millions in merchandise sales.

Swift fits the bill of a Wilder player, and adds competition to the side.
Given Lunny hasn’t signed a new contract and his recent goal scoring I can see a couple of sides looking to take him off our hands, meaning we could make a tidy profit on him and at the same time replace him with a better player imho.
Swift might struggle fitness wise, as a lot of new signings do at United, but we have to hope he has the minerals for that challenge and will get himself in contention.

Long term I see Berge going into the middle, maybe on his own at the base of the midfield allowing more attacking players to get forward. But at least adding Swift adds to our options.

I think the 3 year contract and the performances over the last 2 seasons of Ollie Norwood might have an influence over just moving Berge into CM. It will happen eventually but shunting the team captain to the bench won't just happen without solid justification.
Agreed, I think we'll move to pick horses for courses and for some games we will play Ollie, and some games we won't. It's up to the fringe players to push out the established role holder out the side, and that goes for Berge too if he's also push out from the right sided starting berth. What we have seen so far, is that it's taken most new players a good 3-6 months to learn and fit into our system, so there is also that.

The daily mail predicted Wes Foderingham signing and said our next signing is John Swift and then in market for a centre back and a striker.

So looks like Swift could be on his way. Gives me something to watch today.

First time the Daily Mail's been right over anything! ;-)

I really like the look of this Swift lad. I also really like number 14 Ejaria, but he's on loan and he's likely to complete a permanent move from Liverpool I believe. I've watched him a few times this season and he's always impressed. I'm less knowledgable on Swift, but I know he's highly rated and his goals and assist record are very impressive.

At £3.5m what a steal if he comes good. It is a similar deal to Luke Freeman, but Freeman's been unlucky that Fleck has been so outstanding and presumably Freeman was brought in as a squad player. Maybe likewise with Swift, but the right of midfield is weaker, as Berge will likely occupy the middle at some point and Lundstram is good but not a definite starter even now. Then there's the contract situation with Lundstram, which is doing him no favours.

I think Wilder could at some point try a 3-5-1-1 formation, i.e. a number 10 roaming behind the main striker.

Agree and the best example of that was David Brookes behind Leon in the 4-2 at the Sty....ripped them apart. Would really like to see us play that a bit more often but definitely need a Brookes type player to do it properly.....Eze could fit that bill....I would even say bring Brookes back but i think the lad is going to have injury issues most of his career.

Back
Top Bottom