Jim Phipps summed up our current predicament perfectly...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Him Behind You has got it a little bit wrong , although i know were he is coming from . Clough does not and never will listen , or be swayed by the fans , because he would finish up in a right pickle . He signed Brayford for his qualities , of what the bloke can bring to the club , both on and off the field . Plus we still have yet to see the best of Brayford , and IMO is worth every penny , whatever we paid for him.

If Clough listened to the fans , we would be winning or losing 5-2 every week and be mid table . The name of the game is to win or draw more than you lose , take into account 3 points for a win ). Winning makes everyone satisfied . What has thrown the spanner in the works is this ongoing CB debacle . You need players of the Brayford calibre to get out of leagues or become stabilised in one ( championship).

UTB

Re 5-2s:

Haven't got the table to hand but it was noticeable that after last weekend I think Rochdale in 7th had won 17 and lost 18 - or something very similar.

The win:loss ratio was also very close (or identical to) 1:1 for the next 4 or 5 teams at least. The higher the place, the fewer the draws so a season of alternating 5-2/2-5s might well put us in the play-offs. And as long as we can take penalties, and we time it right for a 5-2 win at Wembley we would even get promoted.

These fans might be on to something - but who on Earth we'd be calling on to be sacked every other game I'm not sure.

There might also be consequences in terms of acquired bipolar disorders in the local population.

(Obviously getting promoted on the back of a 5-2 win in the final game of the season is fanciful nonsense though.)

UTB

Not saying I seriously believe it but equally I wouldn't discount it.

Since JP came in, there have been a few things they've done which have reflected the voice of the fans (off the top of my head Adidas shirts / Ched). Whilst not massive things, they have been things which have initially made fans happy (in Ched's case the noisier pro Ched fans initially) so do you not think it feasible that they may have allowed NC to spend so much on Brayford because they knew they would get very little backlash from, again, most of the noisy fans?

No, absolutely not

No Porterfield oversaw two promtions. Good days apart from sodding Colchester away. Only game I saw and it was on MoD losing 0-5 or something.

Not consecutive promotions though. Porterfield didn't get us promoted out of this division at the first attempt. We finished 11th.

Not consecutive promotions though. Porterfield didn't get us promoted out of this division at the first attempt. We finished 11th.
We were OK at home but terrible away, as far as I can remember. Think Porterfield signed Cockerill, Philliskirk, Bolton, Stan, Heffernan the following pre-season.

We were OK at home but terrible away, as far as I can remember. Think Porterfield signed Cockerill, Philliskirk, Bolton, Stan, Heffernan the following pre-season.

You mention Joe Bolton. Does anyone know what he is doing these days . Remember at one time he was driving a lorry like Keith Edwards .

UTB

No Porterfield oversaw two promtions. Good days apart from sodding Colchester away. Only game I saw and it was on MoD losing 0-5 or something.
lost 5-2 fisher, Waugh had a nightmare in a galeforce wind one of only 4 games we lost as we romped to 4th division championship trophy

No - the reason was that United had a sponsored kit, which at the time was not allowed on TV.
Oh, yes that is right. I was thinking that it was the same as it was for the Blades v Spurs game in Sept 1966 (ref ordered us to wear white shorts as Spurs brought their black shirts), Palace v Blades in Dec 71 (we wore gold shirts and they were worn only once and I am not sure if we "borrowed them") and Blades v Palace in Sept 77 (Palace wore our away kit)

Oh, yes that is right. I was thinking that it was the same as it was for the Blades v Spurs game in Sept 1966 (ref ordered us to wear white shorts as Spurs brought their black shirts), Palace v Blades in Dec 71 (we wore gold shirts and they were worn only once and I am not sure if we "borrowed them") and Blades v Palace in Sept 77 (Palace wore our away kit)

That Palace game - was that the one just after the 7-0 Ipswich game at the Lane? The one where we got battered 5-1? I remember that game being on telly and us playing in yellow (white was our second kit) and a 30 yarder going in past John Hope, filmed from behind the away goal. It was 'one of those games' for United.

Didn't Woody score for us? Shocking night on a shitty pitch at night.

pommpey

That Palace game - was that the one just after the 7-0 Ipswich game at the Lane? The one where we got battered 5-1? I remember that game being on telly and us playing in yellow (white was our second kit) and a 30 yarder going in past John Hope, filmed from behind the away goal. It was 'one of those games' for United.

Didn't Woody score for us? Shocking night on a shitty pitch at night.

pommpey
Yes, it was a week after the Ipswich game. I got Tony Mercer's autograph before the match and I didnt know who he was and my dad told me that he is famous in "The Black & White Minstrel Show". The goal you are talking about is in the link below (start at 8.23, just after that Best goal against us!). Palace were 3-1 up when John "Yogi" Hughes (who was signed from Celtic) scored his 2nd goal in that match with that 30 yarder. Dearden got our goal. Our shirts were gold

Back
Top Bottom