Jebbison Mystery

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Jebbo has been here for a while now and not improved a great deal, if he was any other nationality I'd say let him go but with the price of English talent especially strikers it's totally different IMO.
He's Canadian fella.
And I dont mean that in a he was only born there kind of way, He's only been in England 7 years, if you hear an interview you can tell he's not from Wincobank.
But, he's played at all the England youth levels so not only are you right in a way but I also agree with you. He doesn't have to pull up any major tree's to be (financially) a very big asset for us.

First of all I hope he makes a full recovery, which should go without saying but this is the internet.

But. Even if he's back in the squad by January I think we can forget about selling him to be honest - I don't see who's going to take a punt on a player who's just come back from a mystery illness, especially when they can monitor his progress for the rest of the season and then sign him on a free.

European teams can sign a pre contract in January. There is an appetite now in numerous European countries for young British players and after a long period of reluctancy there seems to be a willing ness amongst said players to go to Germany, Italy, France etc

Wouldn’t surprise me to see him off to the bundesliga in Jan for a nominal fee of say a million just so they can secure his signature.

Just like with JoC they won't come out and say it straight for reasons that will will never be gold directly. Jack didn't even announce his retirement until well after he left us when it was very obviously coming for years!

Why would he announce his retirement when under contract when he can pick up a much reduced wage but still a wage and then claim insurance once he was out of contract

Got to be honest that doesn't read to me as yeah he'll probably sign just it's not ruled out.

Who would you rather have a fully fit Jebbison who can develop and get better or a half fit mcburnie who when on form is a v good championship striker but has a terrible injury record and we could offload this month for £3 /4m

Who would you rather have a fully fit Jebbison who can develop and get better or a half fit mcburnie who when on form is a v good championship striker but has a terrible injury record and we could offload this month for £3 /4m
You cannot offload either for 3/4m

Personally I’d keep both just because we know what Mcburnie brings and with a good striking partner could be very effective.

Jebbos unfortunately not got a great record either.... So both.

Jebbison just started to look promising at the end of last season, his decision making had improved dramatically which added to him being a good footballer for his age made him good enough for 2nd tier at least.

Got to be honest that doesn't read to me as yeah he'll probably sign just it's not ruled out.
Everything before had pointed to him leaving so any positive signs are promising
If he doesn't stay long term I at least want him to leave for a fee.
It's terrible management to let players like him walk for nothing.
Wouldn't we get a tribunal fee for him as he's under 24? I agree though it'd still be poor if we can't keep one of our few players with real value. I'd be perfectly happy with him and Osula as 2nd/3rd choice in the championship

Jebbo's upside is absolutely immense. He's looked better than DLC at the same age. And on his day, he's been unplayable.

But those days have been way to few and far between, so yes, jury is out to a certain extent.

Mind, I'd be over the moon if he signed on. I think he and Osula together (throw in Hackford's potential too) and we should be very optimistic about our strikeforce.

(Reckon he ends up seeing his contract out and signing for someone like Brighton as a development player though...)

Wilder’s comments were a lot stronger than “it’s not ruled out”. It’s not certain and maybe Wilder’s playing a game here but he was speaking with a lot of confidence. Surprised me tbf.

“I've met his parents and we've had an open and honest conversation about Dan's future. He wants it to be here. He's assured me of that. We're in negotiations with his agent, hopefully for Dan to sign a new contract. His parents are very protective of Dan and his future, and rightly so. And there's nothing in those meetings I've had with them, and with Dan, to suggest he won't be part of the medium and long-term future here."

Wilder’s comments were a lot stronger than “it’s not ruled out”. It’s not certain and maybe Wilder’s playing a game here but he was speaking with a lot of confidence. Surprised me tbf.

“I've met his parents and we've had an open and honest conversation about Dan's future. He wants it to be here. He's assured me of that. We're in negotiations with his agent, hopefully for Dan to sign a new contract. His parents are very protective of Dan and his future, and rightly so. And there's nothing in those meetings I've had with them, and with Dan, to suggest he won't be part of the medium and long-term future here."
"I want to stay...."

Becomes "I wanted to stay but the offer wasn't good enough " when someone offers him more

Jebbo's upside is absolutely immense. He's looked better than DLC at the same age. And on his day, he's been unplayable.

But those days have been way to few and far between, so yes, jury is out to a certain extent.

Mind, I'd be over the moon if he signed on. I think he and Osula together (throw in Hackford's potential too) and we should be very optimistic about our strikeforce.

(Reckon he ends up seeing his contract out and signing for someone like Brighton as a development player though...)
In terms of throwing shit at the fan and hoping some sticks, you’d certainly hope that amongst Osula, Jebbo, Hackford, Oné and Marsh that at least one of them kicks on, if not more and saves us a fair bit of cash. Or the dreaded alternative of ‘makes us a fair bit of cash’.

In terms of throwing shit at the fan and hoping some sticks, you’d certainly hope that amongst Osula, Jebbo, Hackford, Oné and Marsh that at least one of them kicks on, if not more and saves us a fair bit of cash. Or the dreaded alternative of ‘makes us a fair bit of cash’.
I'd send them all to the training centre Lundstram went to before our first PL season...

"I want to stay...."

Becomes "I wanted to stay but the offer wasn't good enough " when someone offers him more

Him not having the opportunity to play this season may not hurt Utd wrt DJ's next contract - it would be a total punt by another club to offer a significant contract based solely what he's shown in previous seasons and his potential. It's less likely that Utd would be blown out of the water by another Prem club e.g. Everton offering him £60k/week as may have been the case had he been playing and scoring regularly

Him not having the opportunity to play this season may not hurt Utd wrt DJ's next contract - it would be a total punt by another club to offer a significant contract based solely what he's shown in previous seasons and his potential. It's less likely that Utd would be blown out of the water by another Prem club e.g. Everton offering him £60k/week as may have been the case had he been playing and scoring regularly
Possibly but would we even compete at 30k? He's still a punt for us.

PA said we paid the likes of Berge double that.
Berge is our record signing at €25m and had played 120 top flight games in Norway and Belgium, as well as 22 European fixtures, when we signed him. He's hardly a like-for-like comparison with Jebbison.

An incentivised deal with a low-ish basic but big performance related bonuses would work all round.

Back
Top Bottom