CONFIRMED James McAtee - MGW Replacement?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Norwood still has something to offer but what really does piss me off these days is his set pieces. When he was in form in the Championship pre promotion he could put a pin point ball into the box and at least got his direct free kicks on target. Getting those right doesn't require him to still be in his 20's.

Fleck like I have been saying all week that I think he is done at this level OR he is unwell (suffering with post COVID issues?).

Great point.

It does seem strange that his dead ball strikes have gone downhill.

I remember when he first come we were so impressed with his corner taking.

Nowadays when he takes a corner it doesn’t clear the 1st man. No excuses for that.

Norwood
He's always been slow and lacked physicality. His strength is his range of passing, particular long passing.
His strengths are still top notch but his weaknesses are extreme too and there for everyone to see.

The situation with Norwood is that you must play to his strengths otherwise he's poor.
I can envisage when we're playing at home against weaker opposition dominating possession....then Norwood will still excel.
However when we play away or against a really good team who retain possession or a very physical/ quick team (like Watford) then Norwood struggles.

Fleck
He's an example of a player who has lost his hunger, he's earned his big contract and played (pretty well for 1 season) in the Premier League.
He's done what he wanted to do in the game and now he's resting on his laurels, the only way is down for him.
For the past 2 years I've noticed he tends to hide, plays plenty of short sideways passes, rarely ventures forward, rarely takes on a man,
rarely tries difficult passes or shots. It's just nice, keep possession short sideways passing.

Norwood's game is long passing, so his style means he'll either have a really good game or a really poor game.
Where as Fleck often has OK games, he doesn't take any risks so he always has a safe 6 or 7 out of 10 game and rarely stands out for having a poor game.

I don’t disagree with what you say but (and this is a general comment rather than being aimed at you), every time I read an assessment of central midfielders, it focussed on their attacking attributes and never considers the equally important defensive side. Defensive doesn’t just mean tackling - it’s about tracking runners and positional sense.

My view is that both Norwood and Fleck are 6/10 on that side. They both make errors (for Fleck it’s his tracking, for Norwood it’s his getting bypassed too easily) but on the whole, they’re not too bad.

If you replace Norwood or Fleck with (say) Osborn, you retain the defensive side but don’t gain a lot going forward. When we used players like Duffy or Brookes, they went down to a 3/10 on the defensive side. Same for Berge.

I have no idea how McAtee is on that side of things, but we shouldn’t simplify it down to just “he’ll create more, so that’s an improvement”.

I'll put a downer on it........

He's either:

• Injured
  • Suspended
  • Ineligible
  • Like Ben Woodburn

Can't be as good as people are saying, there has to be a catch, it's the Blades.

I'll put a downer on it........

He's either:

• Injured
  • Suspended
  • Ineligible
  • Like Ben Woodburn

Can't be as good as people are saying, there has to be a catch, it's the Blades.

There is always a catch with us. Just waiting for the Shirecliffe sniper to take him out now.

My Man City supporting mate said that he'd have been better going to Wednesday.

He said that all City fans know how class their fans are and how massive Wednesday are, they can't believe that they've loaned him to us which must mean they're loaning De Bruyne out to Wednesday.

From a Man City fan.

Who would of thought that Man City would be our feeder club ? 🤣🤣🤣

Seriously, if this works out well for Doyle and MCatee then I can see more talent coming to us from Man City for the near future - especially with Kyle Walker due to come home soon as well 🤣

What a great position to be in.

UTMB

McAtee - 6 career appearances in all competitions - straight into our lineup because we lost the other night.

Reactionary? :D
You are right, let's sit him on the bench so he.can watch Fleck and.learn how to be a proper midfielder 🙄

Looks a very good prospect. I hope he fits in with us and does well. It’s good that we’re able to attract this kind of talent, that they want to play for us.

Fleck
He's an example of a player who has lost his hunger, he's earned his big contract and played (pretty well for 1 season) in the Premier League.
He's done what he wanted to do in the game and now he's resting on his laurels, the only way is down for him.
For the past 2 years I've noticed he tends to hide, plays plenty of short sideways passes, rarely ventures forward, rarely takes on a man,
rarely tries difficult passes or shots. It's just nice, keep possession short sideways passing.

Norwood's game is long passing, so his style means he'll either have a really good game or a really poor game.
Where as Fleck often has OK games, he doesn't take any risks so he always has a safe 6 or 7 out of 10 game and rarely stands out for having a poor game.
Agree fully until you said a ‘safe 6 or 7 out of 10’. If his safe play was done well I’d agree but he often gives it away and doesn’t have the required fitness to be a Monty, for that reason I’d say he’s more a 4 or 5 and often a hindrance. If you’re not going to do anything with the ball, at least be a nuisance and make tackles without it.

Reactions: SWB

Back
Top Bottom