Jamal Blackman

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Made a blinder of a save against you....then conceded a soft as shit goal within minutes of the 2nd half. That was a microcosm of his season with us.

Although it's difficult to judge him properly because our defence was dogshit last season. Not that our fans minded because they were busy slagging off the most prolific strikeforce in the division instead, because they're fucking simpletons.
I don't think Leon and Billy are simpletons.

He got better and better as the season progressed, and was outstanding for the last couple of months.

Great at relieving pressure from corners and deep free kicks, as he is so commanding, and seems to know when to punch, when to catch.
Even improved with the low stuff, inevitably when someone whistles a daisy cutter past a tall keeper, fans will say he should have down quicker, and blame his height.

One big mistake cost us the game at Qpr, but that was in Sep, and he was faultless as the season closed.

You`ve got a good one there, he might have even got a finger to Sharps Bramall Lane volley ;)
He would definitely have got both hands on it .
as he picked it out of the back of the net

Anyone know why he didn’t come back on loan to us and has gone to Leeds on loan?

Have they offered a chunk of his wages? Did Chelsea get the hump as we chose not to be able to afford him? Does he prefer Leeds pizzas? Did we prefer Hen Dee Son?

Maybe Wilder rates Henderson as the better keeper .

I will give you my opinion for what it's worth...

The guy is very good in the air. He should be. He's a big lad. He was disturbingly hesitant when we first signed him - not quite sure whether he was coming off his line for things, or not. His kicking was also abysmal at first. I mean, he just couldn't keep the ball on the pitch, particularly if he was kicking out of his hands. It was a bit of a joke tbh.

He has always been capable of some fine reflex saves though. He's pulled off some blinders, right from day 1. But personally I don't think that "reflex saves" are the hallmark of a good goalkeeper. Indeed I can think of many average or even poor goalkeepers down the years who have done some blinding reflex saves but been rubbish at the simple stuff, like commanding an area, distributing the ball, catching it, punching it, kicking it, organising the defence, etc.

Blackman has always concerned me when it comes to getting down quickly to low shots. At one point last season he was dropped from the team after a pretty unconvincing bit of goalkeeping that allowed him to be beaten by soft low shots on goal. It's something to do with his positioning I think, but also something to do with just generally being vulnerable to the low shot, especially from distance, which is even worse!

He got back into the team and to be fair to the lad, he looked a whole lot better, all round, to what he'd been in the first half of the season. I think we were all thinking we'd now got ourselves a very good keeper and were interested to get him signed permanently.

But, Chelsea reportedly wanted £2.5M for him. That's a hell of a lot of money for a keeper who hasn't yet fully established himself at this level. And we need to strengthen the team in other areas as well.

My verdict on Blackman is that he's exceptional in some areas of his game - particularly high balls - but I'm still not convinced that he's the greatest when it comes to getting down to the low stuff and positioning himself correctly to do so.
Thanks for that, very informative.

Was looking at some YouTube clips of him and there was concern about his low shot stopping, even when he did save it it looked clumsy and uncomfortable, like he had just hoped for the best rather then confidently dived.

Dont think the kicking will be an issue if he signs, by all accounts Bielsa wants the ball on the floor (he said as much in his interview) so aslong as he can kick it 10 yards he should be ok.

£2.5mil does seem quite cheap really considering some of the ludicrous valuations being tossed about, £15mil for Angus Gunn for example.

You do seem to have found a decent replacement though, lad you signed was a League Team of the Year wherever he was wasnt he?.

He got better and better as the season progressed, and was outstanding for the last couple of months.

Great at relieving pressure from corners and deep free kicks, as he is so commanding, and seems to know when to punch, when to catch.
Even improved with the low stuff, inevitably when someone whistles a daisy cutter past a tall keeper, fans will say he should have down quicker, and blame his height.

One big mistake cost us the game at Qpr, but that was in Sep, and he was faultless as the season closed.

You`ve got a good one there, he might have even got a finger to Sharps Bramall Lane volley ;)
Thanks for that.

We havent got him yet, would seem odd if we dont.:tumbleweed:

May have saved it;)

Thanks for that, very informative.

Was looking at some YouTube clips of him and there was concern about his low shot stopping, even when he did save it it looked clumsy and uncomfortable, like he had just hoped for the best rather then confidently dived.

Dont think the kicking will be an issue if he signs, by all accounts Bielsa wants the ball on the floor (he said as much in his interview) so aslong as he can kick it 10 yards he should be ok.

£2.5mil does seem quite cheap really considering some of the ludicrous valuations being tossed about, £15mil for Angus Gunn for example.

You do seem to have found a decent replacement though, lad you signed was a League Team of the Year wherever he was wasnt he?.
We've got Dean Henderson from man united on a season loan. Highly HIGHLY rated that side of the Pennines. Looks a real talented prospect. Commands his area, dominates the ball. won player of the year last season. An upgrade imo. Blackman's a giant of a man. One thing he may do better with than Henderson.

Could see Jamal coming back to us in the future if we manage to do something despite our board. Good lad obviously improving.

Shame his gone to Leeds though. I'll say GLTYCL (Good luck to your clothing line) in lieu of footballing well wishes due to that.

Interviewed as saying we approached him but that he wanted to look elsewhere and we wanted time to consider our options. May be a face saving way of saying he cost too much.

I think what he’s saying is we were looking for a cheaper option. Am I pissed off or what

Leeds are getting one of the best keepers in the division last season, such a commanding and reassuring presence and destined for big things.

We're getting a cheaper option.

Leeds are getting one of the best keepers in the division last season, such a commanding and reassuring presence and destined for big things.

Not sure we are. Man Utd have tied him down on a big contract and now want to step him up to the Championship. Every quote from inside Man Utd and elsewhere are that this kid is special, lets see.

What’s the relative cost of both players?

Not sure we are. Man Utd have tied him down on a big contract and now want to step him up to the Championship. Every quote from inside Man Utd and elsewhere are that this kid is special, lets see.
I saw Henderson play 3 times last season albeit on the box, and he looked like an exceptional keeper.

Because of the shambles going on elsewhere, we shouldn’t decry the one positive thing that’s happened this close season.

I think Blackman will be a premiership regular in the next two years. It’s a shame we can’t afford £2.5m because I think that’s a good price in today’s bonkers market, so a very good investment*.

Instead we’re developing someone else’s player again and will need another keeper in 12 months.

* in football’s warped terms.

Tbf pal wasn't he with Wycombe the season before?

Have faith in Henderson man, he's obviously very highly rated by Man U. And could be ready to step up the same way Blackman did. did sure he'll do just fine.

Henderson is a better keeper. Once you’ve seen him play you will agree. Blackman couldn’t kick. The fact that many blades rated him says alot about the standard of keepers we have had in recent years, you forgot what a quality keeper is ! Kenny was the last in a long line of quality keepers.

Henderson is a better keeper. Once you’ve seen him play you will agree. Blackman couldn’t kick. The fact that many blades rated him says alot about the standard of keepers we have had in recent years, you forgot what a quality keeper is ! Kenny was the last in a long line of quality keepers.

What about Steve Simonsen?

I really rate Blackman, especially since he got back into the side post Xmas. Honestly believe he’ll go on to be a first choice at a top Prem side in a few years. Not just that I think it also showed Wilder how average Moore is for this division.

If Henderson is as good then we’ll be just fine.

Wish we'd bought him.

Wish we'd bought him.

He’s on circa £15k p/wk at Chelsea. That being the case, I don’t think he’d be keen to leave on a permanent deal just yet. His stock isn’t high enough yet to command that wage elsewhere.

Still wish we'd bought him.

And, once more, I still wish we'd bought Blackman.
And although we have Henderson, who did play well, I doubt he's come to us for free, there are strange things called "loan fees" we still have to pay, and besides, I met Blackman a few times on the Valley, and he's a nice bloke, played well for us, and said he'd be happy at United!, oh, and he hasn't moved house, still lives not far from, and walks his dogs on the Rother Valley.

Blackman is a presence and a calming one at that. That counts for a lot. He was very good for us, brilliant shot stopper, great at crosses too.

Back
Top Bottom