Jake Wright...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Amazing to think that newly promoted to L1 Oxford thought he was surplus to requirements...and now he's doing it in the Champ.

What a guy!

yep, that's a good point esa. Think it was Appleton that got rid - whilst not wanted to have a pop at Appleton as I don't know him much (other than moving around quite regularly) - could it be that United have someone very very special with CW. CW's record on the whole points to a very good manager where ever he has been. Just perhaps now we are on the crest of something very very special. We could go top of the league Saturday evening - it really is quite scary.

UTB

He is like a Bobby Moore/Paul McGrath/Franco Baresi clone,in his ability to read the game and snuff out any danger,also gives the impression that he barely breaks sweat during a game.

It is a remarkable story for Jake,from being released by Oxford to defensive lynchpin in a high flying Championship team,Roy of the Rovers stuff

Be very interesting to see what happens when Stearman is available again.

UTB

yep, that's a good point esa. Think it was Appleton that got rid - whilst not wanted to have a pop at Appleton as I don't know him much (other than moving around quite regularly) - could it be that United have someone very very special with CW. CW's record on the whole points to a very good manager where ever he has been. Just perhaps now we are on the crest of something very very special. We could go top of the league Saturday evening - it really is quite scary.

UTB

Scary?!?

Nah, more like one of those Hollywood musicals where a group of clueless, dimpled kids agree to put on a show no matter what. We're fearless, all that matters is the belief that we can achieve, with those attributes in your pocket you won't go far wrong. Just think, when we've suffered a loss Wilder manages to lift everyone as they realise that all that's happened is a loss, not that someone's died, so on we go, parting the waves that appear before us (sorry for the mixed metaphors), waving as we pass those we've just beaten......what's there to be scared of? I mean, for fuck's sake, we have Jake Wright who couldn't even get in Oxford's first team!

Scary?!?

Nah, more like one of those Hollywood musicals where a group of clueless, dimpled kids agree to put on a show no matter what. We're fearless, all that matters is the belief that we can achieve, with those attributes in your pocket you won't go far wrong. Just think, when we've suffered a loss Wilder manages to lift everyone as they realise that all that's happened is a loss, not that someone's died, so on we go, parting the waves that appear before us (sorry for the mixed metaphors), waving as we pass those we've just beaten......what's there to be scared of? I mean, for fuck's sake, we have Jake Wright who couldn't even get in Oxford's first team!

It's scary as to what we might achieve - we could be top on Saturday at 5pm.

UTB

It's scary as to what we might achieve - we could be top on Saturday at 5pm.

UTB

It could.....don't know about you, I have something close to healthy caution where the Blades are concerned.

We're on this fantastic journey and belief just grows........as long as we have Wilder I think the good ship United seems destined for good times, exactly what I'm not sure, but I love what we're doing! UTMB

Still hasn't lost a league match he has started in how many games?

Still hasn't lost a league match he has started in how many games?

Last 38 League stars: Source: https://twitter.com/StatsChristian

32-20e3.png
38-20e3.png
wins
31-20e3.png
30-20e3.png
draws
30-20e3.png
defeats

Last edited:
He is like a Bobby Moore/Paul McGrath/Franco Baresi clone,in his ability to read the game and snuff out any danger,also gives the impression that he barely breaks sweat during a game.

It is a remarkable story for Jake,from being released by Oxford to defensive lynchpin in a high flying Championship team,Roy of the Rovers stuff

...... with more than a hint of Joe Shaw and just to be mentioned in the same sentence as that great man is praise of the highest order.

After one fantastic block last night, which typified his reading of the game, we were saying that it's astonishing that until last season he'd never played above L2.

He was my MOTM last night. CCV, JOC, Baldock, Blackman and Coutts were not far behind him but my word he's a very talented defender who wouldn't go amiss in an Italian national side from years gone by. He has the knack of being in the right place at the right time and I'm adamant that we wouldn't have conceded against Boro away had he started.

Dangerous talk,you just know what will happen..........let's keep our powder dry !!!!

Nope - realistic talk - dangerous and negative talk was pre-wilder.

All we can do is go and beat Norwich. It is a fair bet that the S6 lot will NOT lose away at Cardiff and as good as Leeds appear, Millwall are no mugs, which is a surprise to me this season. They absolutely battered Forest away on the first live game and unluckily lost 1 nil and have put in some decent performances up to date........none more so than - Millwall 4, Norwich 0. :)

UTB

Nope - realistic talk - dangerous and negative talk was pre-wilder.

All we can do is go and beat Norwich. It is a fair bet that the S6 lot will NOT lose away at Cardiff and as good as Leeds appear, Millwall are no mugs, which is a surprise to me this season. They absolutely battered Forest away on the first live game and unluckily lost 1 nil and have put in some decent performances up to date........none more so than - Millwall 4, Norwich 0. :)

UTB
58 years a blade,pessimism is part of my DNA.

He was my MOTM last night. CCV, JOC, Baldock, Blackman and Coutts were not far behind him but my word he's a very talented defender who wouldn't go amiss in an Italian national side from years gone by. He has the knack of being in the right place at the right time and I'm adamant that we wouldn't have conceded against Boro away had he started.
He was superb last night brings that composure to the back line.
Bet JOC would confirm that

After one fantastic block last night, which typified his reading of the game, we were saying that it's astonishing that until last season he'd never played above L2.
Exactly what I was thinking. This guy has been a revelation. Whatever happens in the future, in the last 12 months he's been one of the best if not the best centre half outside the prem. I cannot believe how he's remained in L2 before joining the mighty Blades.

Interesting to see what Wilder does when Stearman is fit.
In the first few games I watched Stearman play I couldn't help but notice that JOC and Bash seemed a bit uncomfortable playing with Stearman. It's no coincidence that since JW has come back in those two's performances have improved. Likewise with Duffy coming back in. I think Carruthers lacks that killer pass/cross/ball/game management that Duffy brings. Duffy comes in, Coutts and Fleck improve. JW comes in, JOC and Bash improve.

Exactly what I was thinking. This guy has been a revelation. Whatever happens in the future, in the last 12 months he's been one of the best if not the best centre half outside the prem. I cannot believe how he's remained in L2 before joining the mighty Blades.

If he had first been put centre of a back three formation when he was 20 rather than 30 I think he would have played at the very highest level.

In the first few games I watched Stearman play I couldn't help but notice that JOC and Bash seemed a bit uncomfortable playing with Stearman. It's no coincidence that since JW has come back in those two's performances have improved. Likewise with Duffy coming back in. I think Carruthers lacks that killer pass/cross/ball/game management that Duffy brings. Duffy comes in, Coutts and Fleck improve. JW comes in, JOC and Bash improve.

But we have been told by Pinchy that as soon as Stearman is fit he will be back in and Wright will be out of the club in the JTW.

Made a dreadful pass during the first half with his right foot that conceded possession in a dangerous area nearly resulted in a goal. He immediately apologised, and was faultless thereafter. His organisational skills and reading of the game make him an excellent alternative to Stearman, who I don't think will automatically come straight in when fit. But he will come back in eventually I feel.

He is doing what Bob. Booker did. Coming from nowhere and on his way to becoming a Blades legend. Well done. Jake

UTB
Pfffft nah mate, Appleton is tomorrow's man.

Back
Top Bottom