Player Suggestion Jake Buxton

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Was in the John Street stand along with one or two derby team mates (one being Craig Bryson) a few weeks ago.

Bryson is Scottish as well so that ones on!;)

Along with Jimmy Ryan signing according to BM. Bryson would be a terrific signing.

He's nowhere near Derby's team this season, he was strongly rumoured to be a big target for Clough last season but it never seemed on the cards. I wonder if it could be more of a possibility now?

He's a solid, experienced leader of a centre half who would improve us hugely.

If there are doubts about Burn's availability we should go straight in for him. Come January I'd actually like to see us sign both. If we have any money.

He's nowhere near Derby's team this season, he was strongly rumoured to be a big target for Clough last season but it never seemed on the cards. I wonder if it could be more of a possibility now?

He's a solid, experienced leader of a centre half who would improve us hugely.

If there are doubts about Burn's availability we should go straight in for him. Come January I'd actually like to see us sign both. If we have any money.

He's injured - Again

UTB

He offers very little than what we already have really. Edgar is experience and has international experience under his belt but he hasn't been without issues so far and Neill Collins is just annoying because on his day he can be solid but he isn't every game. I think one of the problems out CB's have face is pace, they have very little between then and this is where the experience should come in and the should time things right so that they don't get turned over with pace but they don't.

Buxton would just be another player who fits a similar mould to what we have. He is solid but he's getting on and lacks pace.

Pace really isn't important at centre half, particularly in League One, other attributes are far more important. We didn't do badly with Collins and Maguire. Buxton is very different to anything we have because he's a proper leader, communicator and organiser. Was Derby's captain for quite a while.

I see he has had a setback though and it was a back injury too, so maybe not one to consider permanently but as soon as he's fit I'd like us to get him here and I think it could be a realistic possibility.

For now why not play Edgar and Collins with Alcock sweeping up behind them with Freeman and Wallace wide?
Basham, Reed and Baxter with Sharp and sammon/sparky up top?

If fit, he'd have been a good call. Proper leader. Went from being a really clumsy hoofer to a decent championship defender, which must have taken a huge amount of hard work.

Seen this morning that he is available for transfer from Derby. One club keen more than others (my guess is Burton)

Anyhow, would he be out of our price range, wage budget? Also would he drop a division?

Personally if we could sign him then I'd be chuffed with that.

No way do I want Buxton. Always injured, old, Clough's love child. Need I go on! He can re-join Clough at Burton, hopefully taking Coutts with him!

Seen this morning that he is available for transfer from Derby. One club keen more than others (my guess is Burton)

Anyhow, would he be out of our price range, wage budget? Also would he drop a division?

Personally if we could sign him then I'd be chuffed with that.
I'd be very surprised if he didn't go back to Burton.

I'll tell you what I know about Jake Buxton; and how I know it.

In the summer of 2013 Buxton lined up a move to Birmingham City; Lee Clarke, the Brum manager had even offered him the club captaincy. Derby County blocked the move, saying that Buxton could leave, but they wouldn't let him sign for anyone they considered a promotion rival.

Nigel Clough became SUFC manager and spent the next two seasons pretty much constantly trying to get Buxton to sign for the Blades. However, Buxton wasn't having any of it, because at 28/29 years old, in the prime of his career he wouldn't take the step down to league 1.

I know this because the parents of someone I know run a pub in Sutton-in-Ashfield which happens to be Jake Buxton's local, and the lad I know regularly speaks with Buxton in the pub.

I was told this info about a year ago, and I haven't got any more recent gossip.

Had this on good authority that he has had talks and is considering a move to us Burton or blackburn.. He has a release clause after wigans relegation.. However Blackburn are offering the best package but he lives in derby and didn't like the commute last season and burtons offer wasn't up to much. So we might land this guy.. Big and commanding but slow has champ experience I personally don't recall seeing him play.. Can anyone let me know if it's good or bad he's on our radar! Cheers

Hope not. Not too bothered about his age but he's slow, not very tall, has had bad injuries and doesn't seem to have got back to the level he was at for Derby. Similar thoughts to when we signed Jake Wright in many ways but he's 2 years older and would cost more.

He is a leader though and playing in the middle of a back 3 would suit him.

If there was a time to sign him it would've been about the time this thread was started.

I'd rather go for Jason Pearce at Charlton than Buxton.

Had this on good authority that he has had talks and is considering a move to us Burton or blackburn.. He has a release clause after wigans relegation.. However Blackburn are offering the best package but he lives in derby and didn't like the commute last season and burtons offer wasn't up to much. So we might land this guy.. Big and commanding but slow has champ experience I personally don't recall seeing him play.. Can anyone let me know if it's good or bad he's on our radar! Cheers

I haven't seen him play for a while either but he certainly would add some championship experience. Not sure if he has played in a back 3 much but couldn't see too many problems with him slotting in. A back 2 of him and JOC with Bash sat just in front might also work.

I would take him for a season but would then want another younger CB as well, possibly a PL or champ loanee in their early 20s, so not completely inexperienced.

No ta! Pearce is a great shout tho
Wasn't he the fella that Clough wanted to sign when he was at Leeds?

Personally i'd like a decent 24-28 year old Centre Half with pace and good experience at Championship level that can slot in alongside JOC (and his magic hat).

I'd also like JOC to lose a bit of muscle bulk over the summer (he's already looking a lot leaner than when he joined us) to be a bit more of an athletic racing snake.

I still have this vision that Wilder is keeping his powder dry for a couple of established Championship players to fit in down the spine of the team

A CB and a striker would be my preference.

McCabe said Wilder will have a top half Championship budget and I reckon with the signings made thus far and adding in Stevens, we've only scratched the surface to date

We have signed 2 potential bench players thus far. We are more building our squad first rather than adding real quality.

The rumoured signings of Etheridge, Stevens and Baldock are all to build our 24 man squad.

I would guess the money will be spent on a CB,CM,Number 10, ST.

I think if he does this it's the best we could possibly do.

Back
Top Bottom