What is Gus’ best position?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Champagneblade

Reaction score
Been thinking a lot recently about what shape the team will take back in the Championship.

One of the themes I find myself wrestling with is where Gus would play as he can potentially fit into several positions.

I’m not convinced he’s one that will move on. Unless Coventry went up and were desperate to be reunited, then, at 27, I don’t see him getting other takers, unless it’s from abroad.

But where is his best position?

Let’s reasonably assume that Wilder stays. Let’s also assume we end up playing a three in midfield, be that with one deep lying player or someone in the Duffy role.

1. Souza stays and plays DM. We then have Gus to his right, perhaps Brooks to the left and Arblaster and Davies playing matches as well.

2. Souza goes. Gus is down as a DM in transfermarkt despite his high goal and assist output with Coventry. So does he become the Norwood type play maker, rather than defensively nosed midfielder like Souza and have say Brooks and Arblaster flanking him?

3. Does Wilder roll back the years even further by going for a 3-4-1-2 and have Hamer as Duffy and perhaps Arblaster as Coutts and Brooks as Fleck.

4. We saw his excellent dribbling ability on Sunday when he just couldn’t cap off a mazy run that tied Dunk in knots. In a 3-5-1-1, could he play the role Ndiaye made his own?

Forget a little about the other players mentioned, but where do you see us getting the most out of Gus?

I think he is best suited to be at home, doing the school run, cleaning and being a good husband. He can be most effective in that position.

Been thinking a lot recently about what shape the team will take back in the Championship.

One of the themes I find myself wrestling with is where Gus would play as he can potentially fit into several positions.

I’m not convinced he’s one that will move on. Unless Coventry went up and were desperate to be reunited, then, at 27, I don’t see him getting other takers, unless it’s from abroad.

But where is his best position?

Let’s reasonably assume that Wilder stays. Let’s also assume we end up playing a three in midfield, be that with one deep lying player or someone in the Duffy role.

1. Souza stays and plays DM. We then have Gus to his right, perhaps Brooks to the left and Arblaster and Davies playing matches as well.

2. Souza goes. Gus is down as a DM in transfermarkt despite his high goal and assist output with Coventry. So does he become the Norwood type play maker, rather than defensively nosed midfielder like Souza and have say Brooks and Arblaster flanking him?

3. Does Wilder roll back the years even further by going for a 3-4-1-2 and have Hamer as Duffy and perhaps Arblaster as Coutts and Brooks as Fleck.

4. We saw his excellent dribbling ability on Sunday when he just couldn’t cap off a mazy run that tied Dunk in knots. In a 3-5-1-1, could he play the role Ndiaye made his own?

Forget a little about the other players mentioned, but where do you see us getting the most out of Gus?
I'd personally would like to see us move to a 433 any sort of variation of it, but predominantly souza as dm and have hamer and Davies either side with breaks off in front of souza as proper box to box players, both fluid in play, interchanging sides and roaming, allowing them both freedom of the middle of the park, as long as souza in behind to mop up any counter attacks and they don't forget about their defensive duties.

High intensity from both players, come flying out the traps give everything on the pitch and then when they start flagging replace with Brooks & blaster (also to start blooding them in) - if we are 2/3 up then replace with these even if other two arent tired, like how pep bloods his youngsters in.

I think Hamer has too many attacking qualities to be ‘wasted’ as a DM / holding midfielder. Assuming Souza stays, let Vini do the dirty work and Gus focus on creating chances and bagging goals. We know he’s capable.

But I agree that he needs a defined role which we’ve yet to establish what it is. He also needs to improve his fitness as he’s been blowing too often in the second half.

Given Ndiaye jumped ship and McAtee will leave us indefinitely, I wonder if a central attacking mid / number 10 role is best suited for our needs, available budget and Hamer’s qualities.

I’ve literally no idea. I’m yet to watch a game where i’ve thought he’s looked good for a full 90. So its hard to work out.

I think he’s too wasteful in possession to be a CM or DCM. You need players that will keep the ball in the these positions, not rush or force balls that aren’t on.

He loves threading more risky forward balls so more of a duffy role might be better for him. He’s not good enough for that position in the prem but at championship level he should be good. So i would go for an AM.

I think we play him behind an attacking 2 almost a number 10 role. He’ll get more room to float in the Champ.

Our spine is non existent right now so retaining players who can form part of the spine is crucial.

I’d love to see a team built around a new spine.

Grbic (I think he’ll come good)
1 or 2 new CB’s
Souza
Hamer
Archer, Osula, Jebbison (I wouldn’t mind seeing McBurnie, Brewster moved on)

Back
Top Bottom