is this the end for billy

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

As Blade58 intimated Billy has been asked to play in other places other than his fox in the box role. That's one our scoring problems IMO, not just Billy but Clarke, they are far to often on the wings and midfield. Maybe the influx of midfielders will free them up to the middle again.

Is the end for Billy? As a 90 minute player yes, as a sub no until we find a faster younger striker, is that Wilson, not sure. He did get the most direct shot on goal from outside the box. Give him game time and he might be the next Vardy. Time will tell but time is catching Billy and there's no sentiment in football...... or Wilder

I went to the Preston game and Billy was the worst player on the pitch by a long long way. He offered absolutely nothing.

If he doesn’t score you’ve played the game with 10 men.

Funny what wonderful things players ‘would have done’ if they were on the pitch.

“Run out” and “game time” compete for the most meaningless phrases in football. Bladey Bill didn’t start because he didn’t deserve to. Our manager made the decision to bring Wilson on rather than fans favourite Sharp, so the Bladey Blades spout vitriol at the latter (who did just fine).

Now where have we seen this sort of nonsense before? Ah, yes the Shakey Jakies who still havent noticed how well Stears is playing because their boy isn’t gettinanygametime. Boo hoo.

Sentimentalist Claptrap.
unfortunately it took Stearman 10 games to get up to speed but i’d concede he’s doing well now

As Blade58 intimated Billy has been asked to play in other places other than his fox in the box role. That's one our scoring problems IMO, not just Billy but Clarke, they are far to often on the wings and midfield. Maybe the influx of midfielders will free them up to the middle again.

Is the end for Billy? As a 90 minute player yes, as a sub no until we find a faster younger striker, is that Wilson, not sure. He did get the most direct shot on goal from outside the box. Give him game time and he might be the next Vardy. Time will tell but time is catching Billy and there's no sentiment in football...... or Wilder

I agree with that you are saying regarding age, but it’s not just Billy, the front 2 and Duffy needs looking at, hence why Wilson has been signed.

Billy is actually younger than the 3 that started against Wednesday, so the chances are we’ll be seeing some more changes in that area.

I think Billy would be good in the Kevin Phillips super sub role like Phillips performed so well at in the latter stages of his career.

Sharp has been off form for a while. And the debate has remained regards to what he offers when we are struggling to get space up front and quality into the box.
We all know Pace isn’t his forte, so being able to run at players and create space or stretch a team is harder for him.
For me, he’s suffered most from the Coutts injury as we have clearly changed the way we play to accommodate Lundstrams’ lesser ability. We don’t have that extra bt of class in midfield.
Wilder has chosen Pace and physicality up top to cause teams more problems.

However, I don’t feel Wilder got it right with Wilson. I can see why he did it as Wilson is nippy, but it was the pigs and Sharp would have given everything he has ever earned and put his body in anywhere to just score the winning goal. Wilson would never have that same commitment for that game.
Sadly, when you look at his recent career, the championship and above hasn’t really kicked on for Billy so it may be the time that his chances are coming to an end.
Evans, Sharp, Clarke, Donaldson, Wilson. Looks like the striking options for the remainder of the season. We know Clarke can score, but not many goals in the rest if Billy isn’t firing, and the age of them too means that I can see a few strikers arriving in the summer.

unfortunately it took Stearman 10 games to get up to speed but i’d concede he’s doing well now

Why ‘concede’? That sounds like faint and reluctant praise. Are you not happy he’s playing well?

Billy isn’t finished by any stretch of the imagination.. players go through dips in form. it’s normal
close the thread

I expected to wake this morning to find that the members of this forum had sold him so was pleasantly surprised to read your common sense post.

Sharp has been off form for a while. And the debate has remained regards to what he offers when we are struggling to get space up front and quality into the box.
We all know Pace isn’t his forte, so being able to run at players and create space or stretch a team is harder for him.
For me, he’s suffered most from the Coutts injury as we have clearly changed the way we play to accommodate Lundstrams’ lesser ability. We don’t have that extra bt of class in midfield.
Wilder has chosen Pace and physicality up top to cause teams more problems.

However, I don’t feel Wilder got it right with Wilson. I can see why he did it as Wilson is nippy, but it was the pigs and Sharp would have given everything he has ever earned and put his body in anywhere to just score the winning goal. Wilson would never have that same commitment for that game.
Sadly, when you look at his recent career, the championship and above hasn’t really kicked on for Billy so it may be the time that his chances are coming to an end.
Evans, Sharp, Clarke, Donaldson, Wilson. Looks like the striking options for the remainder of the season. We know Clarke can score, but not many goals in the rest if Billy isn’t firing, and the age of them too means that I can see a few strikers arriving in the summer.
his forte is being johnny in the spot.. the most difficult job in football.. we had all this with keith edwards .. ‘does nowt but score’.. oh is that all !? :)

This has been done a million times before.

Rhodes is 5 years younger than Sharp and has scored more Championship goals than him.

Something has happened to Rhodes recently, Wednesday have ruined him and he seems to have lost all confidence but his record at this level is still outstanding.

Billy Sharp is my favourite player of all time but to suggest he's a much better player than Rhodes is just daft.

Sharp is better this season and in recent times in general. Goals. Simple as that.

Rhodes has done nothing for an extended period of time. He’s one dimensional. He can finish and that’s it. If you need him to do anything else then he’s the wrong player for you.

A bit of clear thinking is required here. Billy will be history soon as his career is on the wane due to his age and at some point will need replacing. Same thing applied to Wright and quite a few were getting over emotional at that too. Duffy will be next so the sentimental souls had better get preparing themselves for that. There's fuck all you can do about it, there's no way you can avoid the ageing process.

Once CW sees a better prospect they will be out as it is the way, ffs there's nothing strange going on and there's no conspiracy against these players.

Having said that there's time for a swansong yet from Billy and I'm disappointed Wilder didn't give him a run on Friday.

Agree with that.

As has already been said, a couple of times in that game, the ball was fired along the goal line, and it just needed someone quick thinking to stick a foot out, that is all it would have taken, a toe on the ball and it's in the net. Billy can do that all day long.

I would have put him on for the last 30 minutes and told him to just stay around the box, let the rest track back, tackle, pass and get the ball to him.

Imagine how sweet a memory that would have been for Billy, a goal against the enemy.

his forte is being johnny in the spot.. the most difficult job in football.. we had all this with keith edwards .. ‘does nowt but score’.. oh is that all !? :)

I drove past SISU Stadium this morning and fondly remembered Billy scoring the winner after the dozen or so in the Cov crowd had been playing silly buggers. How I enjoyed that goal.

Given changes in the side recently, Billy has not had the same service. It is inevitable therefore that he won't score, nor is likely to as much, the chances are not there. Wilder has to pick the strikers most likely to score. The supporting evidence is that he has scored 8 goals this season, hardly past it.

I drove past SISU Stadium this morning and fondly remembered Billy scoring the winner after the dozen or so in the Cov crowd had been playing silly buggers. How I enjoyed that goal.

Given changes in the side recently, Billy has not had the same service. It is inevitable therefore that he won't score, nor is likely to as much, the chances are not there. Wilder has to pick the strikers most likely to score. The supporting evidence is that he has scored 8 goals this season, hardly past it.
Put slightly differently, just 5 players in the entire division with a better goals per minutes ratio.

If we can’t use him correctly, you can be ABSOLUTELY certain that there will be other Championship managers (plural) interested in acquiring his services.

UTB

Sharp is better this season and in recent times in general. Goals. Simple as that.

Rhodes has done nothing for an extended period of time. He’s one dimensional. He can finish and that’s it. If you need him to do anything else then he’s the wrong player for you.

He can't even finish these days,he bottled taking a penalty when needed,Bill would never do such a thing,and the other night I wish he had stayed on the pitch .

Jordan Rhodes has never been fit to lace Billy's boots

A good way of looking at it DB. Same as asking the question 'if sharp was at another championship club going through the same blip, would we be pestering all and sundry to buy him?'.

*Edit. interestingly sharp's last goal for us was against burton.

A good way of looking at it DB. Same as asking the question 'if sharp was at another championship club going through the same blip, would we be pestering all and sundry to buy him?'.
Dunno.

Depends how you intend to set up.

Sharp HAS to be played in a side that plays through midfield. A side that probes at pace to create overload situations. Precisely as we did last season. Precisely as we did this season till mid November.

I have a hunch.

Wilder confirmed there was a bit of a dressing room dusting down no holds barred vent your spleen type post match analysis showdown a few weeks ago involving the management and the players. He alluded to a bit of soul searching amongst the players as to how things might be improved.

Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to work out that the captain might have told a few Home truths that the manager was not too enamoured with.

Or maybe I’m way off.

UTB

Your post opens up several lines of thought that have emerged during our recent slump. The primary one is to do with the instant response that comes from a poor performance or losing points. You expect comments to be in the moment, but what they also reveal is the opening of old wounds, or at least the perception of wounds or 'wrongs' that have left an indelible mark.
Like many sports or passions, emotions often run high, and as a consequence comments are made that have no filter, they are just pure and filled with lopsided discontent.

After the derby game, the degree of armchair managers who were forthcoming and who knew all the answers to our predicament was predictable. As these things tend to be, there was a simplistic theme throughout, no grey areas that needed to be considered, just follow game-plan A, B, or C and everything would be perfect. Simple this management lark, a surprise that it's taken so long to find a manager as good as Wilder. But there's the rub, I attempted to add a degree of balance and I was accused of being bipolar, someone who couldn't tolerate criticism of Wilder etc, etc, which, if anyone has read my posts, would know that I'm far from what you'd call a 'follower', that has all the ramifications of belonging to a cult. As I attempt on all matters, adopting a thoughtful and considered appreciation of most things seems to be the most helpful and beneficial approach I can think of. Yet one poster in particular, well known on these pages, considered the use of a medical condition to use as a slight to attack my comments. I can only assume that said poster had no idea that I consider Wilder human, and thus sometimes capable of mistakes. Fortunately Wilder's ratio of mistakes to successes is weighed towards the positive end of the spectrum. I also think that the club and Wilder are a good fit for one another, not something you can say about recent incumbents in the managerial post. Knee-jerk criticism is the easiest pursuit in the world, it rolls off the keyboard easily, it doesn't afford a careful approach, all it does is to lance a critical boil without knowing whether the solution offered might become septic as it unravels. Wilder will come through this slump, be under no illusion about that. The fact that we dropped points against our rivals is regrettable but not the end of the world.

I've veered away from the Billy debate, so apologies. I think Sharp has a role to play, and that if his opportunity comes then Bill will have to show the qualities that inform Wilder he should stay in the team. These types of questions are predictable and constant, so nothing new, just the same necessary questions that managers are always having to consider.

I was agreeing with you! The answer to both question i would suspect would be 'yes'!. If sharp was currently at leeds utd and was not scoring and not playing and they'd brought other players in, we/I would be saying 'Utd need to get hold of him, he's a proven goalscorer, etc'.

Dunno.

Depends how you intend to set up.

Sharp HAS to be played in a side that plays through midfield. A side that probes at pace to create overload situations. Precisely as we did last season. Precisely as we did this season till mid November.

I have a hunch.

Wilder confirmed there was a bit of a dressing room dusting down no holds barred vent your spleen type post match analysis showdown a few weeks ago involving the management and the players. He alluded to a bit of soul searching amongst the players as to how things might be improved.

Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to work out that the captain might have told a few Home truths that the manager was not too enamoured with.

Or maybe I’m way off.

UTB

Congratulations Dronnie for being the first to mention a good old fashioned " dressing room bust up " in over 18 months . Has Wilder lost the dressing room completely or have the cracks been papered over for now ?

I don't think Billy will be playing 90 minutes that often anymore. But he's not finished yet.
I would have used him for 20-25 minutes on Friday. We needed a focal point in the box - it was all set up for him to grab a winner.

Congratulations Dronnie for being the first to mention a good old fashioned " dressing room bust up " in over 18 months . Has Wilder lost the dressing room completely or have the cracks been papered over for now ?
Bust up ?

Read it again fella.

It’s in the public domain btw. Wilder confirmed it in post match media. Can’t recall which match. About 3 - 4 weeks ago b4 Xmas.

Hardly subversive of me :)

UTB

Bust up ?

Read it again fella.

It’s in the public domain btw. Wilder confirmed it in post match media. Can’t recall which match. About 3 - 4 weeks ago b4 Xmas.

Hardly subversive of me :)

UTB

Billys been telling wilder a few home truths and Wilders taken offence to it and that's why he's not playing him ?

No it's not ' subversive ' but it's almost certainly complete bollox .

Billy Sharp did nothing for an extended period of time when he was floating around at Forest, Reading and Leeds. Didn't mean he was finished.

Also worth noting that last season Rhodes was playing in the Premier League and Sharp was playing in League One.

Back
Top Bottom