Is CW taking the piss ?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The Prince has backed Wilder and even strteched the budget for him. No blame attached to the owner IMO.
It wasn’t the prince’s wealth was it . Was it not the premier League TV money that was spent? No extra was spent and December promises were broken in January by the Prince

Prize money 9. Sheffield United​

Actual league position: 9th
Equal share: £31.8m
Facility fees: £14.4m
Merit payment: £21.3m
Overseas TV income: £60.1m
Commercial revenue: £5m
Total: £132.6m

It wasn’t the prince’s wealth was it . Was it not the premier League TV money that was spent? No extra was spent and December promises were broken in January by the Prince

Well he's the owner so yes it was. Pointless bringing in loans as we were already cooked, who would we have got in?

Wilder's own words were they not? - we have had the best window ever and are stronger for the new season.

Prize money 9. Sheffield United​

Actual league position: 9th
Equal share: £31.8m
Facility fees: £14.4m
Merit payment: £21.3m
Overseas TV income: £60.1m
Commercial revenue: £5m
Total: £132.6m

1. TV money is paid at the end of the season
2. We paid by millions in TV money last season and will do again

https://talksport.com/football/7635...cost-income-premier-league-club-fans-stadium/

Then there's the cost of all the commercial loses from not having fans in grounds or selling anywhere near as much stuff.

I'd rather our own erred on the side of caution. I would have rather has two loans in to at least freshen things up but we don't know who Chris wanted to loan and how much they would cost. Given we're relegated anyway, if the choice was to be careful then fine.

Look at how much other PL clubs have spent and tell me he hasn't been backed. Sure, the wage bill is lower but looks at total wage bills and transfer fees.

https://talksport.com/football/7694...0-summer-window-chelsea-everton-arsenal-news/

I'm not saying the Prince is blameless but to does anyone really thing McCabe would have spent anywhere near as much/.

https://talksport.com/football/7635...cost-income-premier-league-club-fans-stadium/

Then there's the cost of all the commercial loses from not having fans in grounds or selling anywhere near as much stuff.

I'd rather our own erred on the side of caution. I would have rather has two loans in to at least freshen things up but we don't know who Chris wanted to loan and how much they would cost. Given we're relegated anyway, if the choice was to be careful then fine.

Look at how much other PL clubs have spent and tell me he hasn't been backed. Sure, the wage bill is lower but looks at total wage bills and transfer fees.

https://talksport.com/football/7694...0-summer-window-chelsea-everton-arsenal-news/

I'm not saying the Prince is blameless but to does anyone really thing McCabe would have spent anywhere near as much/.
The Prince made a promise in a broadcast in December and broke that promise in January. How can his word be trusted after that. If the Prince is erring on the side of caution then don’t make promises you have no intention of keeping

Some blades honestly need a reality check .Yeh we all love what wilder has done for the club.But no other manager in the premier league survives this run.Never mind get public backing from the owner.He really is taking the piss a little now giving the board ultimatums whilst sat on 11 points with his record signing warming the bench week in week out.

Some blades honestly need a reality check .Yeh we all love what wilder has done for the club.But no other manager in the premier league survives this run.Never mind get public backing from the owner.He really is taking the piss a little now giving the board ultimatums whilst sat on 11 points with his record signing warming the bench week in week out.

True, not sure he is in the strongest of positions with regards to making demands of the board right now.

He’s trying to blame others for his fuck ups. He backed the Prince in to a corner to buy Brewster (allegedly) and won’t play him with “ I’ll talk about him when the times right” bullshit
If I remember correctly CW said would be best transfer window he had ever had IF brings in one more player. That player was Brewster who was, then wasn,t then was, then wasnt, then did eventually arrive.

But now its: "But we all signed Brewster" "We put a presentation to the board but they were the ones who signed off on it"... and yet now the 'poor kid' doesnt even get a look in

Then dont forget Ramsdale who Wilder has famously said he himself gave the green light for him to leave on his wedding day for $1 mill (because sales were needed for the club to progress). From what we know/heard the board wanted to bring in that Turkish keeper fella but backed Wilders decision in signing Ramsdale again despite costing 18X the amount we sold him for (name me one successful business model that doesn't work on buy low, sell high) YET the board still went with Wilder's preferred choice.

Don't forget the wage structure has been endorsed by Wilder himself as being the best for the club so he can hardly blame that for not getting the likes of Watkins and so on.

The board has EVERY right to be bemused by Wilders transfer wheeling and dealings, and if Wilder is going to try and force their hand by saying he will walk if players are sold... well I think the board will make that decision much easier for him very soon.

You mean the budget Chris Wilder earned by getting the team into the Premier league. I would love to know how much the Prince has spent of his own money not just the money we earned for getting promotion. Do you actually think the Prince will be out of pocket given he bought the club for peanuts and has earned upwards of 350m in the last two years. Why is it we have to have someone to blame maybe just maybe blame should be apportioned between everyone at the club, board manager and players.

£350m ?

100% spot on.

Funny how we are on 11 points, bottom by a country mile, and none of this is CW's fault, despite buying the players, selecting the team and arranging the tactics.

Some humility from Wilder would be nice, and some acknowledgement that some of it is definitely his fault.

6 months?
I assume you mean he's had more than 6 months of a bad run. In the context of when you should sack a manager it depends when you start the clock. Some people started the clock on 16th July 2020 and I daresay would have had him sacked by Christmas. Some generously allow him the failure of last season and start the new season afresh, so sacking him now would be around 6 months. Of course some would have sacked him already and would undoubtedly be calling for the head of the new appointee by now, too.

TV money is paid in instalments throughout the season, with a small monthly lump sum also paid to clubs.
Merit payments based on where a club finished are paid at the end of a season.

If I remember correctly CW said would be best transfer window he had ever had IF brings in one more player. That player was Brewster who was, then wasn,t then was, then wasnt, then did eventually arrive.

But now its: "But we all signed Brewster" "We put a presentation to the board but they were the ones who signed off on it"... and yet now the 'poor kid' doesnt even get a look in

Then dont forget Ramsdale who Wilder has famously said he himself gave the green light for him to leave on his wedding day for $1 mill (because sales were needed for the club to progress). From what we know/heard the board wanted to bring in that Turkish keeper fella but backed Wilders decision in signing Ramsdale again despite costing 18X the amount we sold him for (name me one successful business model that doesn't work on buy low, sell high) YET the board still went with Wilder's preferred choice.

Don't forget the wage structure has been endorsed by Wilder himself as being the best for the club so he can hardly blame that for not getting the likes of Watkins and so on.

The board has EVERY right to be bemused by Wilders transfer wheeling and dealings, and if Wilder is going to try and force their hand by saying he will walk if players are sold... well I think the board will make that decision much easier for him very soon.
The business model isn’t ‘sell low, buy high’. He was sold at a price that reflected his level at the time and bought back for one that reflected it when he returned (it wasn’t £18m, either).
The same when Wilder wanted to re-sign David Brooks. When he left he was valued by United at x amount, now he’s valued by Bournemouth at y. Guess which is higher?
It’s not a business model, it’s football and economics.

Cant see how wilder hasn't been backed spending nigh on 40 million on two that have contributed to our relegation a goalkeeper that can't catch and striker that can't score

No. But what we are exposed to - us being beaten most weeks, is a gauge of success.

I'm kinda sick of hearing this 'wage demands' trope now. What do people expect in the PL? Div One wages? If you are purposefully limiting wages then as others have said, you are purposefully limiting talent and capability to perform in the English Premier League. This isn't rocket science. And it's certainly not rocket science when we signed players (fee or no fee) who are still a financial liability on the club yet don't appear in a United shirt. That is just poor scouting, profligacy with funds and frankly incompetent recruitment.

Snake - when you are in Division One, such an ambivalent approach doesn't cut too much ice. When you have spent several times the club's own worth in two seasons on dud players, then the factor is more serious. Please tell me you acknowledge this and understand it?

C Robinson - c£6m. Hardly played. Loaned then 'swapped' for Burke, who has his feet on back to front.
Morrrison - Free. Hardly played. Waged.
L Freeman - £5m. Hardly played. On loan at Forest.
Jagielka - Free. Hardly played until needed. Waged (possibly considerably)
Mousset - £10m. Never played 90 minutes of English football in nearly 100 appearances. Nine fucking goals, six for us. Allus out of condition or injured. Fucking kitbag of a signing
Osborn - c £4m, In and out and when in, tries like fuck but clearly isn't even the best of the Championship in honesty
McBurnie - £20m. Six goals last season and some visions of potential but this season way, way below standard
Verrips - Free. We got Foderingham as well? Has anyone seen him play? Still drawing a wage, as is Moore, who played twice last season due to Hendo being loan-tied
Rodwell - Free. Waged. Unused
J Robinson - Undisclosed. Fucking useless. Mysteriously injured forever now but still being paid
Berge - c£23m. Now injured and never really showing anything which changes the game

We also loaned in Besic, Zivkovic and Retsos, The latter two were anything but good enough for this level, but presumably still drew a wage for next to fuck all showing or return. Besic was definitely one to buy or further loan but, y'know ...

then, as if that lot wasn't enough

Foderingham - Free. There isn't a Rangers fan who didn't breathe a sigh of relief when he fucked off. Still drawing a wage, mind
Ramsdale - £18m. Played every game and has been on the whole, an unmitigated disaster.
Lopata - Free. Who?
Lowe - c£4m. Struggles at PL level
Bogle - c£4m. More potential and has the ability to threaten and score. There, you can have him as a 'good signing'.
Burke - part of the swap deal with C Robinson. Pace to die for. Footballing ability and goal threat to top yourself for.
Coulibally - Undisc. Who?
Brewster - c£26m. Woefully underhorsepowered and nowhere near capable

Bogle - c£4m. More potential and has the ability to threaten and score. There, you can have him as a 'good signing'.

Great balance.

Firstly, we got to the PL without all of the above and secondly the financial rewards we jizzed on the above. That's a kind of sweet circular argument, but fuck me is it true, or what? Now tell me snake - who signed all of these? Was it you? Was it HRH? Was it mild mannered Henry, the janitor?

Fucking tell me about it.

Not really. Up until lockdown we were talking about Europe and playing pretty decent football. Even if we didn't qualify, it could be said we had done bloody well in our first season in the PL and just needed to augment the squad in areas we'd shown weaknesses. Instead, we come back after lockdown and when it was seen that teams had sussed us out, simply stuck to plan A, because that is all we know, or want to know.

Yes he has and indeed, he will still do for me. But he needs to make some big decisions in the intermediate weeks between dropping out of the PL with humiliation and opprobrium. Ones that will affect the clubs future and ours as supporters and him as manager. He needs to ditch the sentimental retainers, bite the bullet with sicknotes, clear out the fucking loft-full of stuff there 'just in case' and change the fucking system. Next season won't be quite as easy as people think and if he isn't in the top six by Christmas with a minimum objective of winning the playoffs without taking us to second legs needing snookers and having Ramsdale take the last spot kick and it clearing the stadium roof again then he really needs to ask himself the question what he can achieve with the scared cutlasses on his left breast.

pommpey
Scared cutlasses? Surely a Freudian slip Pommps?

If/when he leaves he'll end up in a far better position than us. I hope this forum isn't a reflection of actual fans feelings and I suspect it isn't. Should have full support from every one of us.

Im not sure he would get a Prem job if he walked out at the end of the season IMO

Is he good enough , yes he's miles better than half the managers in this league easily

However your only as good as your last game etc....

He'd get a top champ job and maybe a bottom prem team possibly

It's just me my thinking but I'm starting to think CW would welcome the sack, he'd get a pay off but he won't walk I don't want him to go but I wish he'd be man enough to say "hey lot's of this IS my fault" but no, he just deflects blame.

If we have so little money, why spunk so much of it on a striker we then don’t play? If you have limited resources you have to use those you have more carefully.
Spot on! You bought him Chris so play him? Not a single midfield player has scored a goal this year except Sander and that was a pen? whats plan B Chris.... Jack had a knee problem last year.... everyone knew it.... stop blaming everyone else Chris. Of course some of it is true I don’t doubt that but take responsibility. My firm has just cut next years budget by 16%... do I like it....no......did they tell me 3 months ago that they wouldn’t ...yes....it’s life for everyone and let’s be honest Chris has spent more than any other manager ever in our history..... Brewster.....McBurnie.....Moose.... Berge....Ramsdale..... all big for us and maybe that’s a lack of ambition but if I was the chairman and I looked at those signings I would also not be giving Chris more cash....

The business model isn’t ‘sell low, buy high’. He was sold at a price that reflected his level at the time and bought back for one that reflected it when he returned (it wasn’t £18m, either).
The same when Wilder wanted to re-sign David Brooks. When he left he was valued by United at x amount, now he’s valued by Bournemouth at y. Guess which is higher?
It’s not a business model, it’s football and economics.

It was £18.5m. Wilder & the Prince have both said as much. Unsure why anyone would put more credence in local hacks than them.

I think the big unknown is whether the plan he's referenced (keep everyone, add a couple, go again) is his plan or the plan.

Jim Phipps is on Twitter talking about selling Berge. Obviously we've got no idea what, if any, knowledge he has of the Prince's plan but, at worst, he's well placed to have a guess.

Maybe the board have said 'Berge is going to balance the books a bit, if you want anyone in you'll need to wheel and deal'. Maybe they haven't said anything at all and that's what has frustrated him?

I don't like that it's being discussed in public and I don't like that, on the face of it at least, there's some conflict between CW and the board.
100% this.

I'm not one for stifling opinions and debate because that's what social media is partly for.

However, I'd much rather those people close to either party keep their counsel at present.

Stability is needed right now IMHO.

I assume you mean he's had more than 6 months of a bad run. In the context of when you should sack a manager it depends when you start the clock. Some people started the clock on 16th July 2020 and I daresay would have had him sacked by Christmas. Some generously allow him the failure of last season and start the new season afresh, so sacking him now would be around 6 months. Of course some would have sacked him already and would undoubtedly be calling for the head of the new appointee by now, too.
I think he’s had longer than any manager, including Chris himself, can expect. It’s been an appalling season, but whilst it doesn’t look great he can’t have become a bad manager overnight

Yeah as much as I'm behind Wilder and want him here next season 100%, I have thought he's pushed the envelope a little.

Even with the recent successes, I think his allegiance still allows him leeway with many fans, when other non-Blade managers may have had some of their comments pulled apart a bit more.

At the beginning of last season Wilder said himself that if we were adrift in January he would tell the owner to not spend anything.

Yet this time we're being led to believe by some closer to the action that the refusal to spend in January has caused a rift.

I'd prefer talking behind closed doors myself and just see the season out with as much effort and pride as possible.

Whilst unlikely, we still have a shot at the Cup and we're still nearly 3 months away from the season's end.

I think he’s had longer than any manager, including Chris himself, can expect. It’s been an appalling season, but whilst it doesn’t look great he can’t have become a bad manager overnight
That's only true (the longer than anyone can expect part) if you are of the opinion that firing managers as soon as there's a downturn in form is the right way to run a football club. Keeping hold of a manager despite a downturn, especially despite relegation, has become the exception rather than the rule, but it doesn't mean it's the right way to go about things. There are examples aplenty where either strategy has worked or hasn't worked, but in our specific case, with our resources, with our history, especially over the last decade or so, I find it bizarre that anyone wants to get rid of him now - or even says they're not bothered if he goes.

That's only true (the longer than anyone can expect part) if you are of the opinion that firing managers as soon as there's a downturn in form is the right way to run a football club. Keeping hold of a manager despite a downturn, especially despite relegation, has become the exception rather than the rule, but it doesn't mean it's the right way to go about things. There are examples aplenty where either strategy has worked or hasn't worked, but in our specific case, with our resources, with our history, especially over the last decade or so, I find it bizarre that anyone wants to get rid of him now - or even says they're not bothered if he goes.
I agree with you, Manchester United stuck with Fergie.. look how that turned out.

But in the modern era, one should expect to see what goes on. I hope our Board take the long term view as you describe.

Back
Top Bottom