Is CW taking the piss ?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I agree with you, Manchester United stuck with Fergie.. look how that turned out.

But in the modern era, one should expect to see what goes on. I hope our Board take the long term view as you describe.
I think, more than anything, there isn't any real alternative. I don't get the impression that the Prince is well networked or could convince a top manager to come to SUFC considering the budget constraints he'd have to live with. Even if Wilder's downturn continues longer than this season, I can't see him being sacked, it's far too convenient for the board to have a dedicated Blade who is prepared to work with limited funds. It was the same with Warnock and Bassett, it was easy for the board to stick with them because they'd shown a measure of success and accepted an ongoing lack of funds.
It may be that Wilder gets frustrated with his own lack of success one day, or starts to get affected by the negativity of the fans, and decides to walk away, but I think we're a long way from that at the moment.

I think, more than anything, there isn't any real alternative. I don't get the impression that the Prince is well networked or could convince a top manager to come to SUFC considering the budget constraints he'd have to live with. Even if Wilder's downturn continues longer than this season, I can't see him being sacked, it's far too convenient for the board to have a dedicated Blade who is prepared to work with limited funds. It was the same with Warnock and Bassett, it was easy for the board to stick with them because they'd shown a measure of success and accepted an ongoing lack of funds.
It may be that Wilder gets frustrated with his own lack of success one day, or starts to get affected by the negativity of the fans, and decides to walk away, but I think we're a long way from that at the moment.
Some blades honestly need a reality check .Yeh we all love what wilder has done for the club.But no other manager in the premier league survives this run.Never mind get public backing from the owner.He really is taking the piss a little now giving the board ultimatums whilst sat on 11 points with his record signing warming the bench week in week out.

We have just witnessed 35 minutes of a £18 million keeper.

I think Chris knows what’s coming and trying to divert the blame, we haven’t set up to win any matches at all only to try and fluke a draw.

I think Chris knows what’s coming and trying to divert the blame, we haven’t set up to win any matches at all only to try and fluke a draw.
I don't know what you're trying to say adding my quote to two other quotes from other people. As for knowing what's coming, hasn't the Prince has said he'll be here next year even if we're in the Championship? Why does he suddenly think he's getting sacked? And I haven't heard him divert any blame, he talks about taking responsibility in several of the last few interviews I've heard. The idea that he sets up to try and "fluke a draw" is odd considering we usually start off with two strikers and sometimes bring a third on.
So all in all, 1/10. ;)

He must be taking the piss playing stevens. ffs ive had enough now tbh

Have they?

Yes.

PA said that without the sell on clause discount it would have broken our record for Berge - see that YouTube video with all of the board members early into the season.

Wilder has also quoted the exact figure in an interview & said it's not that much in Premier League terms.

People keep peddling that it was £10-12m but it was nonsense reporting from Nathan Hemmingham or whoever he is in Yorkshire Post.

ive always been a big fan of chris wilder but think he needs to be very careful what hes saying in these interviews dont think it would take much for the prince to look to go in another direction but just wonder if he knows that maybe 3 or 4 top players will be going ?
We are going down.
Would not be unusual for us to lose 3 or 4 players.
We can all see that happening.
Where on earth would he get the idea that he is entitled to continue as manager of a team that is immune from such matters?

I agree with you, Manchester United stuck with Fergie.. look how that turned out.

But in the modern era, one should expect to see what goes on. I hope our Board take the long term view as you describe.
So far they have.
At any other club in this situation and serving up this rubbish the manager would have gone months ago.
Is CW blissfully unaware of that?

It's his pride. He's stopped engaging his brain now in interviews and is running on pure emotion.

He needs to check himself before it all ends in tears for all concerned.
This
Unfortunately Sheffield United syndrome has kicked in again.

Boardroom either don't support a manager who in turn loses his marbles

Or

Boardroom support a manager who has already lost his marbles

I don't know what you're saying. Are you saying that it makes no difference if a manager has previously proved himself? Sack anyone who has a bad 6 months completely regardless of what he's done in the past? If we got rid of Wilder and appointed someone who had no past achievements to his name, what do you think the reaction of the fans would be?
No! I am saying that having had some good seasons in management, including taking a team up twice in 2 seasons, does not necessarily mean you are certain of future success.

I am not calling for CW to be sacked, but purely pointed out a fact. I am in favour of CW staying, but that does not mean that I not uncritical of some of his decisions or interviews. OK?

"If we stick to the plan, I want to stay". Seems fairly clear.

What he can't say is if he's happy with how that plan might change. He can't say he'll want to stay, no matter what the chairman does. No manager will say that.

My guess is that the present risk is that they want a DOF, given this season's transfer failings. Wilde won't accept that.

It would be an acceptable comment if anybody could see any sort of plan.

He can't be talking about any plan on the pitch, because there isn't one

This
Unfortunately Sheffield United syndrome has kicked in again.

Boardroom either don't support a manager who in turn loses his marbles

Or

Boardroom support a manager who has already lost his marbles
Just won team gave it all and you felt the need to post this. I’m in disbelief at some of our fans tonight isn’t the night for this shit just enjoy the win you have the rest of the season to do this.

We are going down.
Would not be unusual for us to lose 3 or 4 players.
We can all see that happening.
Where on earth would he get the idea that he is entitled to continue as manager of a team that is immune from such matters?
Hasn't he said that we might lose players, but if we do, hopes the money will be ploughed back into the team?

Just won team gave it all and you felt the need to post this. I’m in disbelief at some of our fans tonight isn’t the night for this shit just enjoy the win you have the rest of the season to do this.

The discussion wasn't about our win though was it

The thread that is about the match contains a post from me saying it was a fantastic albeit forced defensive performance

No! I am saying that having had some good seasons in management, including taking a team up twice in 2 seasons, does not necessarily mean you are certain of future success.

I am not calling for CW to be sacked, but purely pointed out a fact. I am in favour of CW staying, but that does not mean that I not uncritical of some of his decisions or interviews. OK?
I still don't understand what your point was. The context of the post you replied to was me saying that Wilder is still here because he has shown he can do it at various levels and that he is prepared to work with limited resources, as opposed to the view that he had built up credit that he was cashing in and once it was gone he's ripe for the boot. In other words, if the board didn't believe he can do it again, he would be out - regardless of past successes.
I have no idea what any of that has to do with your being critical of some of his decisions and interviews, or why you're asking me whether that's OK.

Like many on here , I’m becoming increasingly concerned about some of the comments CW has come out with in recent interviews .

None more so than the one reported in some of this morning’s papers that - “ Any win for Sheffield United in this league is a great result “, which seems to imply that we have no right to be in the PL in the first place .

Is this the same manager who less than 12 months ago was saying that if we did get into Europe we would have every right to be there and would give a good account of ourselves ?

WTF is happening?

Yes.

PA said that without the sell on clause discount it would have broken our record for Berge - see that YouTube video with all of the board members early into the season.

Wilder has also quoted the exact figure in an interview & said it's not that much in Premier League terms.

People keep peddling that it was £10-12m but it was nonsense reporting from Nathan Hemmingham or whoever he is in Yorkshire Post.
What the virtual fan forum?

Like many on here , I’m becoming increasingly concerned about some of the comments CW has come out with in recent interviews .

None more so than the one reported in some of this morning’s papers that - “ Any win for Sheffield United in this league is a great result “, which seems to imply that we have no right to be in the PL in the first place .

Is this the same manager who less than 12 months ago was saying that if we did get into Europe we would have every right to be there and would give a good account of ourselves ?

WTF is happening?
Let me let you into a tiny secret that a lot of blades fans already know. We don’t have any right to be in the premier league with the team that got us promoted. The team was made up largely of players which played in league one as well as other players that have never played in the premier league.
we have the lowest wage bill in the division so any win is great result. Do you think there are many teams we should be beating when we play them? I don’t understand why this comment which by the way he said many many times last season has upset you so much. If you don’t believe me that he said it nearly every week then go back and listen to his interviews from last season. Don’t try and rewrite history.

Doesn’t matter what happens with Wilder.

We will never be a club that thinks it can go out and get a top foreign manager and great foreign players.

The Prem is not for us me thinks.

He’s as much a Blade as Nigel Farage is a gay, liberal lefty.

Of course any win in the PL is a great result, what would you call it ?
Even more so with the season we are having

There's a lot that goes on that we obviously don't know about - and neither should we. Wilder wanted Cash, Robinson and Wilson. We were blown out of the water with wage demands, so he stuck to his plan of buying players who might make it, but also demand much less wages. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. Yep, we've bought some duds, but this has to be balanced by the good signings we have made, and the proof in the pudding is we got to the PL and reaped all the associated financial rewards. Yep, it's gone tits up - but we always knew there was a fair chance of that happening. We have parachute payments and a wage bill more akin to a playoff Championship side rather than a mid table prem side.

Wilder has of course made mistakes, he's also make some cracking decisions. He'll do for me.
Maybe the Lingard promise and then retraction was the straw that broke the camel’s back. He will leave of his own accord!

Hasn't he said that we might lose players, but if we do, hopes the money will be ploughed back into the team?
That might be a bit of a worry, mightn’t it?
Who is going to be in charge of where and on whom that money is spent?

Back
Top Bottom